We live in Trinidad and have visited quite a few Caribbean islands during our time in the region. We stayed at Buccament Bay Resort for 3 nights in May 2013 and very much enjoyed our time there. Here are the positives and negatives:
1. The service was (almost entirely) excellent. Staff really went out of their way to make us feel at home and looked after. After the second day, most of the staff members we saw on a regular basis knew our names and that of our 20-month-old son, which was really remarkable. In addition, the staff often gave my pregnant wife a ride on the ubiquitous golf carts, which she really appreciated. Overall, the service could not have been better.
2. The food was very good. I would rate it a 7.5 out of 10. The breakfast buffet is varied and includes a fruit/smoothie station and an omelette bar along with the standard muffins, bacon, etc. We ate the first night at Saffran, strangely located among the villas far from the beach (bring insect repellent as the restaurant overlooks a small lagoon and they leave the doors open to the dining room thus it's infested with mosquitoes) and were impressed. It was not the best Indian food we've ever had but for resort food it was surprisingly good. The second night we ate at Jack's, which is a lovely steakhouse near the beach. Service and food were both excellent. I did not expect good steak in the Caribbean but the ribeye was very good as were the sides. Without us asking, our waitress even brought a little dish of hummus and some bread sticks for our son (which he loves) so we got to enjoy a meal without having to worry about his dinner. We also hit up HQ several times for ice cream, teas, etc., and were always pleased with what we got. Overall, the excellent quality of the food made us feel our money had been well-spent and allowed us to relax during our trip.
3. The pools and beach/bay are very nice. The 2 hotel pools are parallel to each other and face the ocean, while the beach (covered in imported white sand) is impeccably clean and inviting. Conliffe at the pool took excellent care of us, quickly filling any orders and making sure we had towels and chairs within moments of arriving. I don't know how the pools cope when the resort is full, but when we were there plenty of chairs went unused so there was always space.
We also used the water sports equipment (snorkeling gear and paddle boards) several times and it was always in good order and the staff were helpful. The snorkeling was very nice as there are a lot of fish along the southern edge of the bay along with a wreck on the northern edge.
4. The included airport pick-up and drop-off were smooth. The driver of the van to the airport even stayed with the group to help load luggage on the scale at the LIAT counter, which was clearly above and beyond the call of duty. The smaller van they used to pick us up even had a car seat installed for our son.
5. The rooms are very nice and everything worked. The air conditioning worked very well, the bathroom was lovely (separate bathtub and shower were great for the little guy) and there was enough space for our things and a crib in the bedroom.
6. There were bicycles around the resort for guests to use. This may seem silly but the sprawling layout of the grounds will make you appreciate any mechanical assistance you can find.
7. The included sunset cruise (on certain days) was very nice. The resort subcontracts this to Fantasea tours (which has a 60ft catamaran) and we saw a large group of dolphins following the boat and playing in between the hulls.
1. The rooms and areas nearby are absolutely infested with mosquitoes. The first room they gave us (more below) was not a deluxe and thus not air-conditioned and the living area was full of mosquitoes. On the second night we were there, we returned to the room after dinner to find a hotel employee standing on our porch with the front door wide open. She said there had been a power issue and she needed to do something with the electrical system in the room, but that certainly didn't require her to let every mosquito in a 50 yard radius into our room. We spent the next 36 hours killing mosquitoes (I think we got 16) thanks to her little mistake.
It doesn't help that they have created small nesting areas with the stagnant ponds that serve as the pools in between the garden view rooms. They spray once a night (around 6pm so try to be on the beach at that time as the insecticide they use is very strong and smells awful) but it doesn't seem to help much. Overall, the design of the resort only exacerbated what was likely a problem before.
2. Night management seems a little confused. Our LIAT flight was 2 hours late (normal for that awful airline) and thus we got to the hotel at about 11:30pm. The staff put us in a non-deluxe room and when I pointed out the mistake they said that the night manager couldn't do anything without checking with the reservations department in London ! We stayed in the room that night and got everything sorted in the morning, but we never should have had to wait to correct such a simple error.
3. The pictures on the website are not entirely accurate. The photos for the deluxe garden view show a large dining/living room with TV and a sofa and chair but that's only for the 2 bedroom villas. The one bedroom villas have a small dining/living room area with no TV and only a small sofa. This was not a big problem as we spent the majority of our time out of the room but in my opinion it's unnecessarily unclear or borderline deceptive.
As the positives greatly outnumber the negatives we would definitely stay there again. If the service tech had not left our door open and we had been given the correct room from the start everything would have been nearly perfect.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The award-winning* Buccament Bay Resort is a luxury, all-inclusive hotel on the beautiful island of St Vincent: the pearl crowning 32 islands and cays called the “Jewels of the Caribbean". Cradled by lush mountains and vibrant rainforest - an inviting sample of the many riches on offer from this unspoilt treasure - the resort boasts stunning features, like a white sandy beach meeting the clear, warm turquoise sea, and stylish accommodations that typify the Harlequin Hotels & Resorts standards. Perfect for families, couples, singles or dream weddings and honeymoons, it boasts a unique range of top class activities and facilities - many associated with famous brands - that leave guests spoilt for choice, whilst warm, considerate staff deliver a truly Caribbean 5 star experience in a charming, village-style setting. There are several restaurants and bars offering a range of dining options, whilst the unique variety of top class activities cater for all the family. These include: Harlequin Soccer Academy; Pat Cash Tennis Club; diving and water sports; Harlequin Performing Arts Academy; The Spa with Treatments by ESPA; Harlequin Fitness Centre; Little Harlequin Kids Club; Club 61 for teenagers; not to mention a number of excursions, including the complimentary sunset cruise. Whether you seek relaxation or stimulation, discover Buccament Bay Resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotwire, Odigeo, Travelocity, HotelTravel.com, Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Buccament Bay Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Buccament Bay Hotel St. Vincent
- Buccament Bay Resort St. Vincent, St. Vincent And The Grenadines