“The tennis player I never knew I was...”

Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in St. Vincent
London, United Kingdom
“The tennis player I never knew I was...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

I have been to Buccament Bay before. Three times, to be precise...and I love everything about it: the beautiful scenery, the gorgeous location, nestling in the white sand cove below the tropical mountains...the endless good humour and warmth of the local people, and the fantastic service and hospitality of the resort. All this, I knew; but what I had not experienced until last week was the tennis coaching of Mr James Droy.
I presented myself (nervously) to James as a 'one-time-tennis-playing-lady-adult-who-has-no-ability'...to which James responded with a huge laugh...'What do you think my job is?' he asked...and so I was persuaded to give the tennis a try.
First time out, the heavens opened, and the court was a little slippery; but I I managed to improve my game by something like 100%...because of the patience and skill of my teacher. By session number two, I was starting to have delusions of grandeur...I mean, not Wimbledon...but perhaps the local tennis club...and despite any number of balls flying out of the court, and even one that I managed to plant on James's head, he remained good-humoured and encouraging throughout.
I'm a teacher myself, so I know about the art of encouragement and inspiration; but I've been to La Manga to have tennis coaching and never had anything like the quality of teaching I had at Buccament Bay. A wonderful place to go for a holiday; but if you also want to sharpen your game, then don't miss out - get yourself down to the Pat Cash tennis school and let James loose on your tennis game!

Room Tip: This is an exceptional holiday location
1 Thank Alisonmk88
BuccamentBayResort, General Manager at Buccament Bay Resort, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us again and we appreciate all your comments and compliments.

Your kind words about James will be passed on and I am sure he will be thrilled to hear what you have said.

Thank you for choosing our resort again and we hope you will return in the future.

Regards,
Buccament Bay Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (518)
Elgin, Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

We travelled as a family with 9 & 1 year old and flew in via St Lucia. We had a short wait then our small flight to St Vincent (not Lait) which was fine, although not a fan of tiny aircraft it was necessary to get there - drive from airport not best but this is due to roads, again just part of journey needed to get there.

We had a very pleasant greeting and taken to our 2 bed villa - lovely decor & all facilities we needed. We asked for a microwave(for sterilisation) which was in villa. We had a beachfront which was really quite idyllic & worth extra cost.

In summary it is a lovely resort, is it 5* probably not - however we had a great holiday & would return. IT was very quiet when we were there which concerned us for our 9 year old, however the facilities were excellent, from performing arts, tennis, football & scuba diving. Another plus is that she had freedom to go around on one of the resort bikes.

Sun beds to die for, great service around pool, lovely beach although small.

Shops on resort are limited but if you need anything from town they will get it for you. Also needed doctor for baby, he came quickly & not too expensive.

Restaurant choice good but after 2 weeks felt a bit repetitive, however if you asked would make pretty much anything for you.

The staff do stand out here as being very attentive but not overbearing and lots of them. They could not do enough for us, nothing was too much trouble.

It was very quiet as I said, however the group of guests were great so we had good fun. Entertainment was limited but did not spoil things for us.

Why am I reviewing this after 10 months? I read the reviews periodically and I feel some are pretty harsh - honesty is fine but some are picky. Many make comparisons to Sandals, it is not Sandals neither does it claim to be. The resort is new so very much a work in progress on all counts. They are doing a great job & I'm sure will continue to improve. One point I do agree with is that they may struggle once the new block opens - it will lose its intimate feel.

Room Tip: Beachfront villas were fantastic
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank gillasmith
BuccamentBayResort, General Manager at Buccament Bay Resort, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear Madam,

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. We are delighted that you and your family had a good time on resort. We appreciate all of your kind words and compliments.

It was a pleasure looking after you and we hope will return in the future.

Beaconsfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

We have just returned from two fabulous weeks at Buccament Bay and I have to say I am amazed by some of the negative reviews on here, and can only assume that people had specific issues and decided to take that out on the hotel with a poor review. As everyone else has said the staff here are beyond superb, nothing is too much trouble they are personable, fun and will know your names and preferences within a day or two.. The list of staff to thank is too long for this review but safe to say we will be writing to the hotel personally to thank them for our stay.

So - points... The villa's are lovely, clean, spacious and beautifully presented. The resort much the same, it's a perfect size, not too busy and any building work going on is fenced off and neither visible or within earshot. The restaurants are limited in number but of a great standard, the food is excellent quality and we managed two weeks without getting bored or fed up. The service is like the rest of the resort exceptional. The pools are fantastic, and the team working both them and the beach by far the best I have ever experienced. The Bay Bar is open all day, a fantastic team here too - and Santa's sushi and tempura has to be experienced. There is plenty to do with boat trips and activities every day, lots of sports/fitness options and if there is anything else you want to do they are more than happy to accomodate you. HQ is a perfect addition - our daughter loved popping up to get ice cream every day, and if you fancy something light instead of lunch or afternoon tea it's ideal - great pancakes!!

Without waxing lyrical for page after page I can only say - ignore the negative and give this place a try - I assure you you won't be disappointed, great resort, fabulous food, lots to do and a team of people second to none. We will definitely be back!

5 Thank MMBF1974
Dear Madam,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed your time with us and we appreciate all of your compliments and comments, especially regarding the staff.

Thank you for choosing us and we hope to see back again soon.

Truro
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

At Buccament Bay you think your in paradise. We were fortunate to have a 4 bed cabana right on the beach with our own plunge pool-Wow we all said. Firstly we were met at the airport by a well dressed and informative native who took us and a few others in a mini bus half an hour to the resort.We were greeted with cool towels a welcome drink and the General Manager intorduced himself and stated that anything we wanted he and his staff were there to help. As stated not only is it paradise, but all the staff could not do enough for you and I would say went beyond there call of duty. Nothing was to much trouble. The whole resort was spotlessly clean as were naturally our cabana. There were the choice of 4 restaurants at present that you could dine in all with there individual ambience and character. All meals were of the highest standard and again the attention to detail was paramount. My brother was in his element playing football, tennis and cricket with training from top coaches. Also a well equiped gym and spa which I visited. There was snorkelling, scuba diving, boating, paddle boarding, and sailing. Several infinity pools, you just had to raise your hand and an attentive waiter would bring you a rum punch!! You could do as much or as little as you wanted and again I must reiterate nothing was to much trouble. It's an ideal getaway for singles, couples or families and friends. We would thoroughly reccommend this resort to anyone.

Room Tip: A cabana on the beach for the ideal location, but all accommodation is of the highest standard
1 Thank cornish_robert
BuccamentBayResort, General Manager at Buccament Bay Resort, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback, we are happy that you enjoyed your time with us. It was a pleasure to look after you on resort and we look forward to coming back to see us.

Nottingham, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

We were blown away by this resort for so many reasons. As lots of previous reviews have said, the staff are beyond superb. From Creese on arrival at St Vincent airport, Carlson, Lionel, Dexter, Vadol, the lovely Michelle, Alica and Kezi in the Spa, Dale at Indigo Dive, I could go on and on. The attention to detail is like nothing I have ever known. On our second night, we went to The Bay and were asked if we wanted our 'usual'. We were actually speechless, as we had been there less than 48 hours but they had gone to the trouble of remembering our choice of drinks.
The food is fantastic in every way - breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and cakes through to dinner. Good choice and fantastic quality, with steaks, chicken, lamb, pork, duck, beautiful fresh fish, everything cooked to order. We went to Jacks three times, Safran once and The Bay the rest of the time. Although the menus aren't enormous, there was enough choice so we didn't get bored by the food. The coffee and cakes at HQ are a nice mid afternoon treat too. The drinks are premium quality, with an endless supply of cocktails, wines, fruit punches. There was even Bucks Fizz every morning at breakfast.
We used the gym almost every day and we found it ideal for a workout early each morning. I do free weights and was able to find everything I needed to do a decent session. There are fridges with ice cold towels plus aircons so you can keep cool. The building wasn't huge, so felt a little tight on space - it might be nice to have a bigger building eventually.
Our villa was a two bedroomed garden view with a plunge pool and 'beach' alongside a lake. The bedrooms were airconditioned, the main reception room wasn't, but I quite liked having the choice of temperature. The rooms were very stylish, and comfortable. The beds were divine, and huge. The shower was fantastic - an overhead rainshower type. We had two fridges, fully stocked with cold drinks, water, milk etc, and a Lavazza coffee machine. There was an in-room safe, and an ironing board and iron. The resort has hi-speed free wifi everywhere.
The pool was a lovely temperature, and there was no shortage of sunbeds, with towelling covers and towels. And when they got wet during a downpour, they were whisked away and replaced with nice dry ones.
We went on the Sunset Cruise, which was a nice included extra, with canapes and drinks, and we also hired a speedboat and two crew members who took us for a sightseeing/snorkelling trip for three hours along the coast. They were very informative and took us to see some of the Pirates of the Caribbean filming locations. My daughter also did a half hour waterskiing session. We borrowed kayaks too.
We had a slight problem when we first arrived in Barbados as we should have been given Lounge Passes but we were only given two, so needed to buy a third. When we explained this to the staff at BB, there was no hesitation, we were reimbursed in full. They also gave us cash as we left, in order that we could buy three lounge passes on our return journey.
Before we went to BB, we followed Tripadvisor reviewers advice to take some clothes and essentials with us as hand luggage, as we were travelling with LIAT. We were glad we did as only two out of three bags arrived, one came the next day. The staff were great and opened the shop to get us a toothbrush.
I could literally write a book about our experience at this resort. I truly didn't want to leave, and can't wait to go back.

5 Thank trentmum63
Dear Madam,

Thank you for your review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and we appreciate all your comments and compliments. Your kind words for the staff will be passed on and I’m sure that they will be happy to hear what you have said.

We regret that you had the mishap with the lounge passes but we’re happy that you were satisfied with the resulting outcome.

It was a pleasure looking after you and we hope you will choose us again.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

I've never been to an all inclusive resort before but as I was travelling by myself, I wanted somewhere where I could find all the amenitites I wanted on site. Buccament Bay ticked all of the boxes.
Two things stand out from my time here. The fabulous villas and the amazing service. The villas really do need to be seen to be believed. Very modern, well thought out and with added attention to detail like an IPOD docking station. The bedroom had a walk in wardrobe that would have made Carrie Bradshaw's day had she seen it, but it was the shower that makes me want to wax lyrical. A rainforest showerhead in the ceiling and two smaller horizontal heads in the wall - pure bliss at the end of a hard day sunbathing...
Every afternoon I had the most delicious chocolates delivered to my room and always came back to the most inventive towel art I have ever seen.
The service really is second to none. Friendly, efficient but unobtrusive. My name and room number were remembered by everyone and guest services could not have been more helpful. I loved the fact that I was checked into the resort in my villa - no queuing at reception on arrival. Oh and the bottle of fizz was very welcome too!
I have just 2 niggles. The first is the restaurant reservation system. It really could be improved. I would advise that you book all your restaurants when you first arrive at the resort to avoid being offered 6 pm or 9.30 slots, although when I was squeezed in one evening at 7.30 (thanks Charles!) there were numerous empty tables. Also only having 2 restaurants open each evening limits choice but aparently other restaurants are opening soon. I can highly recommend the lobster in Jacks (at a supplement of $25) and the incredible sushi at the Bay.
For a resort that markets itself as a sports resort, the gym really is a disappointment. In terms of equipment, it is one of the best equipped hotel gyms I have seen, but instead of having its own facility, it has been sited into an empty villa. This means that it's hot and humid as the air con isn't strong enough but more irritating, there is no space available to use the free weights or kettle bells which defeats the object of having them.
I was told there were apartment blocks which would soon be opening for guests. My concern about this is that if the resort were to get much bigger it would lose the friendliness and the service for which it is rightly praised.
Overall I had a wonderful holiday and my niggles are just that - nothing to really get upset over. Would I go back? Absolutely!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank holidaygirl055
Dear Madam,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback, we appreciate your comments and compliments. We are glad that you had a good time on resort and that you got to experience some of our great activities and facilities. We will take your on board your constructive comments and act on them were appropriate.

Thank you for choosing us and we do hope to see back again.

Regards,
Bucc Bay
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

What a fantastic holiday, the staff were outstanding, the food quality brilliant, cocktails by the pool plentiful and accomodation 5 star.
We would recommend Buccament bay to anyone, the Restaurant booking system needs to be ironed out and a new Trader Vics will make a difference. Congratulations to Mel who has put together a 5 star team, especially Carlson, Amanda and Henson to name but 3.
The Scuba diving was especially good.

Room Tip: The Villas are very well appointed, very quiet Air Con, huge beds and decent coffee machine.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
BuccamentBayResort, General Manager at Buccament Bay Resort, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Sir

Thank you providing us with your feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed your time on resort and your kind words about the team will be passed on.

We look forward to welcoming you back on resort.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Vincent
#2 of 10 in Bequia
Mariners Hotel
Mariners Hotel
#8 of 17 in St. Vincent

Been to Buccament Bay Resort? Share your experiences!