“worth the cost of a boat to get there”
Review of Fort Duvernette

and up
Fort Duvernette Tour from Kingstown
Ranked #16 of 53 things to do in St. Vincent
More attraction details
Owner description: Built around 1800 on a tiny island next to Young Island, this fort once protected a chief port of St. Vincent.
Guelph, Canada
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“worth the cost of a boat to get there”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

A local where I was in Indian Bay, Nato did this trip for me for $20 EC although I paid him $40 EC, still a good deal because I did a lot of snorkelling as well. The stairs up the fort were paid for by the Finnish government, why I have no idea. It's a British fort, and they retreated there when they were defeated the local people. It's quite a climb and it's not a very big fort on top. It's certainly worth taking a few pictures from there and for the $25EC Nato charged someone else to go there its definitely worth the cost. Someone told me there was a lot of warfare in Africa before we got involved in the slave trade and a lot of the those slaves were hardened soldiers trained in guerilla warfae. The Bristish certainly had a hard time with them until their leader rather foolishly challenged the British leader to a duel. They might have won otherwise.

Visited February 2013

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“Fort Duvernette (locally known as Rock Fort) is great.”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I went over there on a 3-minute-boat ride to Fort Duvernette, also locally known as Rock Fort. I hired a Rasta to get me just behind Young Island, drop me off and pick me back up 2 hours later, for EC$30 round-trip (approximately US$10). I brought my picnic (some samosas that I got to go from French Verandah Restaurant at Mariners Hotel), went up the 255 or so steps to the top, and ate my lunch sitting at the picnic table area. I took extremelly nice pictures of the enchanting panorama of Young Island, St. Vincent Island, downtown Kingstown, Bequi Island. Then I went back down, changed into my swimsuit, put my snorkel gear on and enjoyed 1 hour of discovering the local fishes and creatures that inhabit the waters. Be aware that there are strong currents when wind pick up and tides come in, so try to ask locals when is the best time to go out. A young couple were also brought over with a kayak and went from Rock Fort back to Villa Beach area in about 30 minutes. There was also a local man who came spear fishing. I had very pleasant afternoon.

Visited November 2012
Gloucester, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Great views, if you are passing”
Reviewed May 14, 2012

The climb up is not too arduous and the views are excellent. However, it is not worth a special trip; visit only if you are it the area, and in a boat!

Visited April 2012
Long Island
100 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 180 helpful votes
“neat place but lots of steps”
Reviewed March 14, 2012

There is a warning about climbing the steps but the view is worth it.
Don't go after a bad rain

Visited January 2012