“I LOVE IT! IT'S FOR THE HIKER AT HEART”

La Soufriere Cross Country Trail
Book In Advance
More Info
$75.00*
and up
La Soufriere Volcano Hiking Tour
Ranked #2 of 53 things to do in St. Vincent
More attraction details
Owner description: The La Soufriere Cross Country Trail winds its way from sea level up to the top of the majestic La Soufriere Volcano (4048ft/ 1178m). Granite cliffs reach for the sky, giving way to sweeping valleys and deep gorges and eventually the immense volcanic crater. The walk to the crater is moderately difficult, and takes about two hours uphill from the windward side. The La Soufriere Cross Country Trail snakes across the width of St Vincent, and can be walked from either the leeward or windward coast. The total trail is approximately 9 miles (15 km) long and offers breath-taking panoramic views of the surrounding land and seascape and close encounters with fauna.
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Five hours to go up, four hours to go back down. This was truly an experience. Maybe the time could have been cut by an hour or half, but the other hiker who was with me ain't no outdoors man, lol. This was so great. You literally start from sea level because I was on the leeward side of the island. You have to go down to the beach and you start upwards from there. The rain started falling about 2 hrs up but it was all good. I would recommend however you go there in the dry season. In the caribbean that's between January to June when there is little rain fall cause trust me, when you reach the top the view is amazing. and you don't want to be trekking upwards for hrs only to have your view of the volcano clouded by fog. You DONOT want to go there in the rainy season, cause when rain falls... IT FALLS. And also, if you know if you are not accustomed to the outdoors, please do not go because you can spoil it for others. You do not want to be hiking up there and you want to go back after an hour or two because you can't make it and spoil it for everyone else. And when you reach to the top, you must go into the crater. Trust me, it's worth it. It's about half an hour down on a rope. But when you get there, you won't be disappointed. It is an active volcano. I also had a great guide, his name is Franklin and he is from the hiking centre.

4  Thank cocopialgyal05
NationalParksAuth, Public Education and PR Assistant at La Soufriere Cross Country Trail, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2016

Thank you for visiting, we are happy that you enjoyed the hike and the amazing views from the top and in the crater. Come again soon.

There are newer reviews for La Soufriere Cross Country Trail

Reviewed November 2, 2013

The 'when I visited' date choices do not go back far enough on this review site, understandably. But I could not submit a review without selecting one of the dates from the drop down list so I selected the earliest date it had, December 2012, but that is not when I visited. It was 1979. Went to the crater rim on foot with a young local guide who led the way up....bare footed. I wore heavy hiking boots. The crater was steamy and had burning embers from recently erupting. Ate a sack lunch on the rim as we peered down inside for about 30 minutes. Pure excitement (or craziness!) The whole way up we were walking on fresh ash. Basically all of St Vincent island was covered with ash. Most trees stripped bare by falling ash on the mountain sides. Probably one of the most insane things I have ever done, and exciting! Unforgettable.

Thank you for visiting, we are happy that you had such an unforgettable experience and the hike was great and the views were beautiful. Come again soon.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

When i got to the beginning of the trial i taught it was going to be a 1 hour walk to top , after hearing that i have to walk for another 3 hours the most i start the walk at 6 am with a group and did not reach the top until about 10.30 or 11 am , the hike was was great i felt like i had lost over 50 pounds afterwards the trail started at a downhill walk then it went to an up hill walk then an upper hill walk which made my feet very tired , but when i did reach the top it was such a beautiful view of gorge town and other near by areas , the breeze up there makes u feel like if your England , the most disappointing part of the tour was that i did not get to see any boiling lava in the volcano but all in all the tour was worth the walk . Any one going on this hike i would recommend that you take a lot of water as it will be needed . Also the hike is free .

2  Thank boyce1021

Thank you for visiting, we are happy that the hike was great and the views were amazing. Come again soon.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

I am a citizen of St Vincent but I did not grow up there. I have visited 3 times since I migrated with my parents as a child. I always wanted to go and yesterday I finally got to go. OMG! This trip is not for people who are not used to walking or hiking. I started at 6:55 a.m... I got there at 11:45 a.m. It wouldn't take others that long because I rested at a place called "river bed" for about an hour then at another place called "Jacobs's Well" for another hour (you're gonna feel like turning back, DON'T!!!!). Both places are mighty beautiful... I took the windward trail... From the starting point at 'bamboo range' to river bed is not so bad.. The trail is clear and the foot placement is neither rocky nor slippery. It's just a regular walk. From river bed to Jacob's well is LONG!! The path is a bit more difficult than before but it is definitely manageable. From Jacobs's well to the top of the crater is very short but DIFFICULT. It's like walking up a 75 degrees angle hill, although sometimes it felt like 90. There is not much of a path, just a trail. When you get to the top it gets flat and BOOM in your face the crater is there. Make sure you take a guide with you. The wind there is strong and very cold!!! But once up there it is a marvelous view!! Breath taking. A fit person can take less than 3 hours to get to the top and about an hour to get back down. Coming down was my favorite part of this hike lol.

3  Thank Babyluvve

Thank you for visiting, we are happy that you enjoyed the hike and the views were amazing. Come again soon.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

went up this hill took us a couple of hours, when we got to the top, we did not see any thing,it got all foggy. but was a very hard climb.

1  Thank 282Juliette282

Thank you for visiting, we are sorry that you did not get to see anything at the top after a very hard climb but next time you decide to go back on the hike make sure that it is bright and sunny so that way you will would be able to see the wonderful views from the top. See you soon.