Young Island Resort
Grenadine House(Kingstown)
$139
$104
  • Pool
Richmond Vale Diving & Hiking Centre(St. Vincent)(Great Value!)
$58
$52
Burcasa BnB & Spa(St. Vincent)
$125
$116
Orbitz.com
Haddon Hotel(Kingstown)
$119
Hotwire.com
No availability for your dates from these sites
  • Breakfast included
All reviewscoconut baroutdoor showerthe cottagesplunge poolfishswim up bartree frogsminute ferry rideair conditioningopen airtrue caribbeansunset pointour honeymoonst vincentssmall beachprivate patioeach meal
Reviewed August 1, 2005

We visited Young Island in St. Vincent and the Grenadines for our honeymoon in June 2005. The island is very lush and mountainous, and the whole area is breathtakingly beautiful. We got the “Lover’s Fortnight” package (14 nights with a 3 night sailing trip) – it is an excellent value over the standard rates (about $225/night instead of $355/night, plus there are many extras like the sailing trip, laundry, and airport transfers).

The resort arranges a cab to pick you up at the local airport and bring you to the dock (about a 15 – 20 minute ride). There is a quick 3 minute ferry ride across to the island, where the manager greets you with some very strong rum punch. The staff immediately takes your luggage to your cottage while the manager gives you a tour of the island ending at your cottage. We stayed in an oceanfront superior cottage (#5), which was right on the beach and nicely decorated, although rather small. Our cottage’s outdoor garden shower faced the main walkway and was not as private as I would have liked. A few days into the trip, they began construction on the two cottages next to ours, and it got very load and annoying with all the banging and talking. I complained to the front office, and they stopped the construction for the rest of our stay. We were upgraded by request to the luxury beach cottage (#10) for the last two days of our trip, which was much larger and had a private plunge pool, hammock, and gazebo. The only bad thing there was no water pressure in the shower – a gentle breeze would blow the stream of water away from you! Laundry service was included in our package. The first batch of laundry was returned the next day, but the second batch took 3 days and we had to repeatedly ask the staff where our clothes were. The complimentary guest computer was down during our stay, but the staff let us use the office computer by request. Phone calls are extremely has roaming service there) and pay for the roaming minutes – it is much cheaper!!

The beach is not huge, but still nice. The lounge chairs are comfortable, but I found the hammocks to be uncomfortable and a little dirty. Young Island has a beautiful mix of white and black sand on their beach. There is a reef about 5 feet out from the beach full of fish. Scuba diving with Dive St. Vincent was top-notch!! You can talk with the owner, Bill Tewes, most evenings at the Young Island bar. We enjoyed exploring the rest of the island – you can climb the stairs to the top of the island and follow several nature trails. The views are breathtaking!! There are several peacocks on the island, along with captive parrots, iguanas, and small anoles (lizards). It gets a little loud at night with the peacocks and parrots squawking, but I loved it! We did experience a small problem with noise from the mainland at night (mostly honking cars) but it was bearable.

The “restaurant” really is little huts with tables, although they do have an indoor dining room when the weather gets really bad. The food is excellent, but the service at times was a bit slow. It is actually cheaper to do the breakfast only meal plan and buy lunch and dinner separately. Each meal is served with your choice of 6 types of bread – delicious! Breakfast was included in our package, lunch is a-la-carte pricing ($10 - $15 for main courses), and dinner is a fixed price ($50 - $55 US). I was a bit disappointed that we were charged the full amount for dinner even though we only had one or two courses. There are no other options for dinner on the island. As far as eating off the island, Villa beach is the only area you can get to without a cab. The guide books made it seem much better than it actually is…there were really only 2 restaurants and a hotel within walking distance. The bar at Young Island is also excellent – all the drinks are tasty and strong, and only about $3 - $4 each. The Coconut Bar (bar on stilts in the water that you can swim over to) wasn’t open as often as I would have liked. I highly recommend the “Coconut Surprise” – the bartender chops off the top of a coconut and mixes a drink in it. You drink right out of the coconut!

Note that there is no air conditioning anywhere at the resort (other than a few of the cottages). I loved it, although it was a bit humid during the first week. My husband was a little uncomfortable without A/C. There is a constant breeze on the island, although it doesn’t do much when it is humid. The second week was much less humid. The temperature was around 85 degrees every day. We usually had a quick down-poor in the afternoon which was quickly dried up by the breeze. It rained heavily every night while we slept, but it was pretty much dry in the morning. In 2 weeks, we only had 2 non-sunny days.

As part of our package, we went on a 4 day/3 night sailing trip on a 42’ sailboat with just the captain and the chef. We visited Mustique, the Tobago Keys, and Bequia. Our cabin was somewhat roomy for such a small boat, but the bathroom was tiny, and taking a shower was a pain. The cabin was comfortable, except when we had to shut the portholes due to rain. After about 3 days, we were feeling pretty gross and the boat began to smell a bit. But it was an amazing experience…if I went again, I would just visit Mustique and the Tobago Cays, and skip Bequia since it was not as scenic. You can always take the daily ferry from St. Vincent to Bequia.

In summary, we thoroughly enjoyed our honeymoon at Young Island and truly had an authentic Caribbean experience. Even though there were a few minor problems during our stay, I would definitely stay here again.

27  Thank FLGirl315
Reviewed July 27, 2005

I have just returned home from my stay at Young Island, and prior to the trip read the comments people had left about the island, and was troubled to see that their were a few people who were not satisfied with their trip. I do not agree or appreciate the reviews that bad mouth it for numerous reasons I will now explain.
First of all, my stay at Yound Island was incredibly pleasurable, my family and I went there for my parents 20th anniversary (on their honeymoon they went to Young Island as well, and had a spectacular time). Upon our arrival, we were greated at the airport by a welcoming local who was to taxi us to Young Island. He was a plethora of information and gave us great ideas for trips around St. Vincent and the Grenadines. Now, I will admit that St. Vincent is not the cleanest place on earth, and it was a bit disturbing to drive through such an impoverished place, but the people mind their own buisness. The taxis, especially the ones that Young Island provides, are cheap and informative, our 30 min drive from Kingstown to Young Island only cost $12 (US) for 5 people. By the way, if you do not understand the locals speech, they don't mind repeating themselves, so just ask.
Anyway, when we arrived at Young Island we were greeted by fresh tropical drinks and a warm smile from the staff. The manager and some security personnel took us, and our luggage, to our superior cottage (numbers 21 & 22), and told us that dinner would be served from 7:30-9. The cottage was tastefully decorated (fresh flowers were put in every 3 days), and included 2 queen beds, 1 twin bed, 1 kitchenette, 2 mini refridgerators, 2 outside porches, 2 bathrooms, and 2 showers. All of the cottages allow you to see the spectacular Carribean sunset (around 6 or 7) and sunrise.
At dinner, we received a delicious 5 course dinner, including appetizer, soup, salad, dinner and dessert. The soups and salads were always freshly prepared and diverse. The appetizers were always gormet and unique. The main courses included either duck, beef, chicken, turkey and a daily catch. The desserts were wonderful and always freshly prepared. At every meal they offer bread of 6 different varieties, including coconut, cinnamon, bananna, white, wheat and raisin, which are baked fresh every day. Also at every meal you can order an array of tropical fruits. At dinner the bartender offers to make you any drink from the bar you could possibly think of. The waiters and waitresses are friendly and accomodating. We went with my 12 year old brother who doesnt exactly like diverse foods or tastes, but the cook was completely willing to make him pizza, mac and cheese, chicken fingers, grilled cheese or whatever he wanted. The food was some of the best food I believe I have ever eaten. Breakfast and lunch were just as well-made and diverse as dinner.
The bar was a great place to socialize and talk with some locals (the bartenders). The drinks were also amazing. The coconut bar, floating out in the Carribean sea was a unique idea, and allowed you to swim up to the bar and get a mixed or soft drink, including the Young Island special the "Coconut Drink", prepared and served in a fresh coconut.
The beach at Young Island, though petite, was breathtaking. The sand was white and the water was a stunning shade of blue that could only be found in the Carribean. Their were complimentary hammocks and lounge chairs scattering the beach. Also, Young Island allows you to rent snorkeling gear (you put a deposit down and then upon your departure of Young Island you return the gear and get you money back) so you can check out the 2 beautiful reefs on the island. And, by the way, there is no "trash" in the water or the beach.
And for the rumor of the "loud noises" which come from the Iguana Club, we could not hear a sound during the night. Now, it was probably because we stayed near the other side of the island, however, when we attended dinner at 8 pm we heard no noises, and when we spoke to our friends who stayed on the other side of the island, the reported that they could barely hear the music and it was no trouble. Therefore, either the accusations of the loud music are false, or Young Island has complained enough so that the club stops playing music. I know, however, that when we read these accusations about Young Island, we were worried about not being able to sleep for 2 nights of our stay.
The manager Bianca Porter, was also very kind and accomodating to our stay. With our vacation package, we were given a free trip to a few various places. However, my family went on many day trips, and by the time we realized we still needed to use our free trip, we had already done everything that Young Island offered trip-wise. So, at the cocktail party, the manager talked to us about possibly paying for another trip we took, which ended up being our boat ride to Bequia. My family and I were greatful that we did not lose our money on this, and realized the Young Island was trying to give us our money's worth this vacation.
The trips around St. Vincent were wonderful. The sites were spectacular, and a must see for all who go there. Shopping in St. Vincent was nice, but a word to the wise, do not go to the "market" unless you want to buy fruit/veggies or sneakers. But the Voyager and Sprott Brothers stores (next to each other, in Kingstown) provided promt service and great gifts. The Voyager even had a Duty and Tax Free Store that included a beautiful jewelery store.
If you love to shop and explore, then take a trip to Bequia. It was gorgeous! The beaches and sites were BREATH-TAKING. And the market allowed you to buy souvenirs as well as hand-made crafts. They also had model boat shops where you could buy and send a model boat right to your home, anywhere in the world. The boat ride there from the Kingstown port is cheap, but takes about an hour. So, plan on making it a day trip, but trust me, it was completely worth it.
Our trip to Young Island completely fulfilled our highest hopes. It was a wonderful trip, and the memories we had there will never be forgotten. My family and I will definately return there someday. And if any one ever asks me for a place to stay in the Carribean, that will be the first place I recommend.
Finally, the reviews that badmouth Young Island were false and not accurate. We spoke to a few families that read those reviews, and almost did not come to Young Island because of them. They agreed that those reviews were not accurate, and did not appriciate that they were posted.

• Stayed: July 2005
33  Thank 22lydiak
Reviewed July 12, 2005

My husband and I may have had a better experience because we were in the luxury cottage with air conditioning and it drowned out most noise, we also were gone on the sail away over the weekend. When we came back the other couples we had made friends with were not happy about the noise they had endured over the weekend.

Our cottage was beautiful. It had a great punge pool, access to the beach and a very nice gazebo. It was spacious and clean. There were fresh flowers in the room and lots of wildlife, lizards and peacocks which we enjoyed watching. The breakfast was great, I loved the flaming french toast and my husband liked the carribean breakfast. Dinner was always very good also. We had a problem getting anyone to ever come out to the coconut bar, only once in our stay were we able to get a drink there. As far as water sports, my husband wanted to take out a small sailboat. I think this was an imposition and we were told at 9 am that it would be after lunch if he wanted to do so. We also scheduled a massage, sat in our room and waited only to find out the front desk had never made the appointment. Also, take your own sunscreen, you can't get any there!

We went on the sail away and I enjoyed visiting the other island, our captain was very nice and our cook Danny was excellent. His cooking was worht the trip! I have to say Tortolla and Mayreau were woth the visit.

We went diving with Dive St Vincent and they were wonderful to work with. The diving is beautiful there and be sure to visit the Falls of Baliene.

Young Island needs some attention and a higher level of mangement. Some of the staff were true professionals while others did not pay attention to details (like a massage appt). Our maid service was excellent the food great, but no one at the coconut bar was a problem and sometimes the waitresses were not very firendly.

This is such a beautiful place you want it to be the best, but if nothing can be done about the noise level and if they can't get a more competent staff, they may be headed downhill.

• Stayed: May 2005
19  Thank susan822
A TripAdvisor Member
Tulsa, OK
Reviewed June 13, 2005

My wife and I arrived at YOUNG ISLAND for a "Lovers Fortnight" which is 14 days of rest and relaxation to celebrate our 10-year anniversary in what we expected was going to be a small slice of paradise. Aside from the enormous amount of rain - which we actualy did not mind, our trip had it's ups and downs.

Initially the trip went well. We were upgraded to a luxury cottage and it was nice. It was on the back of the island and was quiet and quite roomy (although it had 2 queen beds rather than a king). We dealt with the heat and humidity without air conditioning which was not available.

After a week, we were moved into our "deluxe" cottage which was a far cry from deluxe. The lady from the office that showed us to this cottage was physically unable to open the sliding glass door - I could barely open it and it would not lock, the in-room hair dryer did not work, there was no water pressure in the shower, the ceiling fan was intermittent and worst of all...this cottage, like most on the island, faced St. Vincent. Of the three nights we stayed in this cottage, we did not sleep 2 of them due to noise on St. Vincent. One night, there was a street party that had incredibaly loud music and screaming DJ's from about 8 p.m. until about 7 a.m. the next morning. Many of the island guests including us were very upset.

The office staff is very friendly but basically they are no help. They are very non-committal and do not seem to have a good understanding of exactly what is going on. They will tell you that the Falls of Balline are closed but if you go across to St. Vincent, you can charter a boat to the Falls any time! There seems to be some inconsistency in how much things actually cost and what they will tell you they cost.

The snorkeling aroung Young Island is pretty decent except for the inordinate amount of trash that you see on the bottom of the ocean as you snorkel along. This little slice of paradise seems to be sliding down and who ever is in charge of it needs to get it under control.

Young Island touts it's food and well they should. The food is great. One problem is that you cannot get appetizers or small portions at the bar in the evening. If you do not want to spring for the 5 course dinner every night then your choices are severly limited! Either cross the bay to St. Vincent and take your chances finding something to eat there or do not eat! Having a small menu at the bar for those patrons who do not want 5 courses at 7:30 p.m. would be a welcome addition.

We were excited about the "Coconut Bar" that is talked about in the brochure - the swim up bar that is located just off the beach. Problem is, there is rarely any one there to serve a drink! We would swim out and sit for 10-15 minutes waiting for a drink and then, sometimes, a guy would come out. At one point, my wife and another guest were standing there waiting for a drink and I was in the main bar - I asked the bartender if there was anyone serving at the coconut bar and he said "yes" I asked who and he said "me". He made no effort to get out there and by the time he did, my wife and the other guest had left.

Kingstown, the capital is a dirty and improverished place. The unemployment rate is about 25% and it shows. We took a taxi there ($30 for a 15 minute cab ride!) and thought we could spend a half a day shopping and having lunch. We spent about an hour and could not wait to leave! In the hour we were there, we saw 3 men urinating in the street!

The computer that is supposed to be available for guests to use to check e-mails, etc. went down and was still not fixed 6 days later when we left. With phone communication so expensive, this was a huge problem for us.

We elected to cut our trip short by 5 days and were surprised that we were not charged a pentalty for early departure. Basically, our view of Young Island is that it is WAY over priced for the accomodations. The food and waitstaff are excellent. The beach is ok (watch out for the glass that is everywhere, everyday even though they hand rake the entire beach daily!)
The grounds are beautiful and are well kept. The accomodations are dated and a lot of things do not work. The noise from St. Vincent will have to be controlled or Young Island will become "Ghost Island"

22  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 12, 2005

Young Island is a beautiful island, there is no doubt about it, however, the beach was only three quarters the size as shown in the brochure and there were pieces of broken glass that had to be navigated before enjoyng the lagoon. Our room happened to be 121 steps up the hill, which was a bit much considering the heat and humidity and the noise level was unbearable! It seems there is a disco across the water and several nights the music (?) went on till 2:00 am, then the peacocks started in at 5:30 am, so I would not consider the environment peaceful by any means. When asked what we wanted for breakfast, we suggested roasted peacock, but it was not on the menu. (For the serious among you, this is a joke, I love peacocks,I just wished these particuar ones were not such early risers.)
The staff was great, friendly and warm and The King, named after Elvis was one of the friendliest bar tenders I have come across!
If you are searching for peace, relaxation and a bit of sophistication I would recommend Parrot Cay, not Young Island. Howver, if you are searching for a casual atmosphere and don't mind the disco noise, then Young Island is a fun place to visit.

• Stayed: May 2005