“Gorgeous property, people, and island...”

Four Seasons Resort Nevis, West Indies
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Charlestown
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I know that this is a review of the Four Seasons, but you must know that getting to the island is an ordeal. You have to fly into St. Kitts, Nevis' sister island, from Miami but due to the economy there have been alot of major airlines that have canceled flights to St. Kitts. I beleive I heard 1 flight every other day on American Airlines. You may however find round about flights from neighboring islands to catch a flight but I don't know for sure. Anyways, our Miami flight was set to depart Miami at 11 am, so getting there was critical as the next available flight was literally 2 days later. As luck would have it our American Airlines flight to Miami was delayed due to a mechanical issue then eventually canceled due to pilot fatigue. Obviously we would end up missing the flight from Miami to St. Kitts. Oh the horror...

We finally get into St Kitts and are shuttle to the ferry. The guys on the boat are all real nice. They have cold drinks, water and rum punch waiting. After the flight ordeal a cocktail was nice. After a 45 min ride we arrived to the 4 Seasons Resort. Wow! Beautiful and lush, its what a caribbean island get away should look like.

The property is so amazing but is very large. Walking around is pretty easy but if that isn't your cup of tea, almost any employee who is driving around in a golf cart will always take you where want to go, just ask. There are 3 pools and we were there in May which apparently is the off season and maybe why we found that there was no pool service. Actually for the price you pay to stay at a beautiful place like a 4 seasons, we found the absolute lack of beah or pool service odd. I read another review where they got macaroons or spritz with water. We saw no one day or night. If we wanted a drink, we had to walk to the bar by the main pool. Not a far walk mind you, but again, just not what you expect from a 4 Seasons tropical paradise. Laying pool side or beach side, it would have been a nice touch to have someone come by, just saying. Apparently they do have it as evidence by other reviews, but maybe not off-season?? Not a deal breaker tho.
And speaking of the pools all 3 pools were just lounging type pools, all pretty shallow and nothing real exciting.

The food is good. They had a good mix of standard amercian fare mixed in with some local island favorites. Anyone who has read my reviews know I do focus on food. I'm a food geek, that's how I roll. The first day I got an island lobster roll. Figured it had to be close to a Maine style sandwich with caribbean flavor. I was right. It was good but not $25 good. Had to try it though. The breakfast buffet was actually not half bad. Lot of different variety and all done pretty well. It may take a while to get an omelet made, the line can be long and the cooks are all on island time. Actually everyone is on island time, you have to know that before coming or you will be stressed out the whole entire time. For the early birds, like me, who get up before the breakfast is ready, they have a libary located in the main lobby, that has a coffee machine. Press a button a viola! Delicious cafe lattes, capucinos, and coffee. The whole staff is friendly, everyone, I mean everyone from landscapers to wait staff all say good morning, afternoon, and evening. Not once did I walk by an employee who didn't acknowledge you with a friendly smile and greeting. It was a nice. Had dinner at Mangos on the property. Perfectly done filet mignon and lobster. Mango sherbert after appetizers to cleanse your palete. Very good food but expensive.

The rooms were fabulous. Large comfortable beds, clean and nicely decorated. Nothing beats a 4 Seasons bath robe. Right outside our room we were steps away from the beach and hammocks hung everywhere. Bath room was expansive and showers hot. Its what you pay for when staying at a 4 Seasons. Also in every building there is free do it yourself laundry. Which was real nice, sometime its hard to pack for long trips and stay within airline baggage fees. So pack lightly, save room in suitcase for souvenirs and do some laundry.

The golf course was real nice, beautiful views and well kept fairways and fluffy bunkers. Greens were however, real slow, maybe a 6 or 7 on the meter. I played it twice. But I won't bore you with the details of the course. What I will tell you though is if you want to see the famous St Kitts/Nevis green monkeys this is by far the best place to do it. We did an excursion on St. Kitts and I think we say 3. One day on the golf course I say easily 20-30. Granted one time it was a family of 10 playing in the trees. If you aren't a golfer, your still in luck. For the price of $30 you can take a golf cart and drive around the course and look for them without playing golf.

The gem of the whole island, IMO, are the beach shacks on Pinney's Beach near the resort. Its an easy walk down the beach to the Sunshine, Double Deuce, and Lime's Cafe. All worth visiting, drinking and eating. Sunshines was our favorite, he was so nice and accomodating and so was his staff (for the most part). The food was A-mazing. Authentic and delicious. I've eaten many different versions of conch fritters and Sunshines has the most crispy flavorful conch fritters I have ever had. I'll do a review of Sunshines separately.

All in all it was wonderful trip at an awesome property. The 4 stars is the place itself, but they missed out on the 5th star due to lack of service for the price you pay. Don't get me wrong all the people were friendly, nice and accomodating. Just wanted/needed more service. But come on 4 out of 5 aint bad.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank T A
There are newer reviews for Four Seasons Resort Nevis, West Indies

Reviewed May 20, 2013

We have stayed at many Four Seasons across the globe, and have always had wonderful experiences. The Nevis property, while beautiful, could use a few adjustments. Customer service was inconsistent at best. From taking an hour to get us our luggage, a reception staff that was downright rude, and wait staff that ranged from the outstanding to the lazy and mildly offensive, my husband and I often commented to one another that this property was not at the Four Seasons standard of consistent quality service. That's not to say that Nevis isn't beautiful and that the resort doesn't have wonderful amenities to offer (the spa is amazing and dinner at Coral Grill is not to be missed), but it is not worth $600/night. Also, if you do decide to go to the resort, I highly recommend you inquire about other events that might be taking place. During our stay, there was a large wedding followed immediately by a company incentive trip, which left us with limited dinner options and and loud live music just outside our room until 10pm three our of the four nights we were there. This also meant that the pathway leading up to our room was blocked by numerous trucks and service vehicles, which were actually hard to get around and prevented our luggage from being delivered. (All in all, fine for middle of the road Hilton, but a little JV for an operation like the Four Seasons.)

Room Tip: An ocean view room with a terrace is a nice option. Try to avoid staying next to the main house. (Se...
2  Thank Berkley0908
FSRN_Resort_Manager, Manager at Four Seasons Resort Nevis, West Indies, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Thank you very much for your comments through this medium regarding your recent visit at the Four Seasons Resort Nevis. I was very concerned to read that we did not meet your expectations in many areas.

Your comments regarding the attitude of our employees were particularly concerning as they are generally well known for their friendly manner with our guests and the inconsistency in service. Clearly we failed during your visit to make that same impression and I sincerely apologize. Furthermore, I noted your comment regarding the groups presence at the resort during your stay. Your visit did coincide with some group guests as you pointed out and I regret if their presence affected your experience in anyway. We do take a limited number of group rooms, and this number is set at a level that we believe allows both group guests and individual guests to enjoy the resort without affecting the overall ambience at the resort. Our goal is to manage this carefully.

We appreciate that you chose Four Seasons Resort Nevis for your Caribbean vacation and I do hope that you left with some positive memories of our island, Nevis
Yours sincerely,
Mohamed Elbanna

Reviewed May 17, 2013

I feel like it is difficult to give the hotel a fair assessment, as we happen to be there off peak. As an example, the hotel has three pools. We spent a majority of our time at the Reflection Pool, which has a minimum age requirement of 16. Not that it makes a difference to my experience, but I thought I would mention it, plus it really does make a difference. In any case, on Saturday we were the only two people at the pool, which has to be 25 yards wide. Occasionally a couple would stop by, but it felt like our own private villa with a personal staff to take our food and drink orders. Every 45 minutes they would come by with a complimentary coconut macaroon, passion fruit sorbet, fresh juice, etc. It was glorious. So, my point is you need to consider the atmosphere as you read my comments:

Best things:
1. The floating bean bags in the pool
2. Proximity to the beach bars, which are clustered together and cash only (Double Deuce, Limes, & Sunshines)
3. Service - knew our names after the first day
4. Restaurants - We ate at Mango & Coral Grill
5. Beach – staff actually walks around and spritzs you down
6. Wine prices were fairly reasonable for an island resort

Worst things:
1. Expensive – those service charges get you
2. Room service – we found our choices lacked seasoning, although the chicken wings were good
3. Bug bites – you will need your Off spray when walking around at night
4. Hot tube - Couldn't get in, because it was scalding hot.
5. Limited movie selection - it rained for two days straight so we had to dip into their DVD offerings, which could be filled out and updated a little.

General Comments:
1. We took the ferry from St. Kitts, actually a barge, when we arrived. Cost around $50 for the two of us and it was very easy. However, we took the Four Seasons boat back and it was quick, clean and they served rum punch.
2. We stayed in the Morningstar building, which is nicely situated in terms of access to the hotels facilities.
3. Our room was on the first level, which my wife enjoyed because it allowed us to walk right out the back door to the beach or hammock. I think I would have preferred the ocean view on the second floor.
4. The island is tour is nice. The history, churches, beaches and resorts give you a good feel for the island.
5. Recommend stopping in town to purchase supplies during your island tour.
6. What we missed - private sailboat tour, scuba diving, sunset paddle boarding, and hiking tour.

1  Thank Globetrot12
Reviewed May 15, 2013

This is a beautiful 5 star resort on the very beautiful island of Nevis. Service was consistent and wonderful from start to finish

I would highly recommend to anyone looking for a completely relaxing time in the Caribbean

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I would definitely recommend both Nevis and the Four Seasons. It's a very quiet island, and I can imagine it would be a little too slow-paced and hard to find things to do (as a vacationer) if the Four Seasons weren't available to put together some very fun, very user-friendly activities/excursions for you.

I'll give a few tips that I haven't read in other reviews of this hotel:

Best things about the Four Seasons Nevis:

- Concierge desk. They have got to be the busiest people on the island. They really go above and beyond, calling you to suggest you reschedule tours because it's a national holiday (Labor Day) on the island so the museum will be closed, etc. Concierge-arranged activities are so easy that you get spoiled. If you ask for a dinner recommendation, they not only book the reservation for you but also arrange the taxi and put your name on a taxi list at the door so that you don't even have to tell them where you're going - they already know. You can even charge the taxis to your room for excursions.

- Related: the available activities. These are some of the activities the Four Seasons arranged for us: Source Hike halfway up the volcano (very strenuous, and they warned us appropriately about this even though the hike was optimistically labeled "moderate"); horseback riding along the beach and a foliage-heavy path; guided snorkeling along the reef fronting the resort; catamaran. We enjoyed all of them, but the activities I would most highly recommend are:
> Definitely don't miss the catamaran to St Kitts for snorkeling. It's blissful.
> The hikes are good, though there are easy ones (paved) and there are hard ones ("moderate"). The ones labeled "difficult" are actually killer! -- as in, you have to pull yourself up the volcano hand-over-hand with ropes.
> You've got to hire a taxi driver to take you around the island, but I would recommend you wait a bit and find a driver you especially like, and then request him/her.
> Golf course tour. It's free and sounds potentially boring, but in reality they give you the keys to a golf cart and you drive around a very gorgeous, hilly course, on and off path, and look at monkeys and swat golf balls. Very good fun! Most beautiful views of the island that we have seen all week.

Rooms:
- Not particularly luxurious, but very roomy with lovely balconies. If you don't have children with you, request buildings 8-10. 10 and I believe 9 are adults-only and are near beach chairs with red umbrellas - no children allowed. We requested to be moved out of our first room because we could hear children crying through the connecting door.
- When they moved us, they made it exquisitely painless. We hurriedly threw things back into suitcases and bags, and they did all the rest while we were on the beach. They also did not have any other King Ocean View rooms available, so they took us to view a room before we decided if we would move to it, and they moved two double beds together to form an odd, but very workable, Extra-King bed room.
- Not all ocean views are created equal. From Building 1, we could barely see the water, and we didn't like the location. From Building 10, we had a close-up view of the sunsets over the ocean, saw a bit of pool, etc.
- I'm pretty sure those aren't the famous Four Seasons beds. They're harder and the linens are rougher.

Spa:
- You can't miss the spa. You just can't. The four-handed Ayurvedic massage is ludicrously decadent.
- If it rains, there is no better place to be than in the whirlpool (extremely hot!) while the gentle rainshower is going on.

Food:
- Is good, though not great, at the hotel. Expensive. Full breakfasts cost $80-100 for two people.
- To eat out on the island, you will spend about $40-50 in round trip taxi fare and get essentially the same prices. We loved Golden Rock for lunch (beautiful view from up high), Bananas and Hermitage for dinner.
- The room service was perfect, especially breakfast. They tell you what time they will be there (always less than 30 minutes). You can eat on your balcony. If you order bagels, they bring you the toaster so it doesn't get either soggy or hard! We had lobster hash and steak and eggs every morning overlooking the ocean, once we figured out how pleasant room service there is.
- You can walk to the beach shacks, where drinks are $5 instead of $12. Sunshines is good and has a great jerk chicken, but we tried all 4 over there and our favorite by far was Double Deuce, which is behind Lyme and not directly on the water. Amazing ribs, amazing burger, stronger drinks than the Killer Bee. Beware that it is cash only.

4  Thank styron
Reviewed May 14, 2013

This is a long overdue review as we stayed at the FS Nevis for seven nights in March 2013. The trip was great and give the resort my highest recommendation! If you are thinking of staying and looking for a sign then I highly suggest that you make that reservation! Hopefully you will not be disappointed and enjoy your stay as much as we did!

Our stay was split between two weeks. We arrived on a Wednesday and departed the following Tuesday. My biggest observation was that the first nights of our stay were very different than the last nights. There was a noticeable change due to occupancy. I suspect that this is the main challenge at all resorts however it was a bit more obvious at the FS Nevis. I will start with the highlights of the resort.

Overall property and grounds

The property is located on a nice stretch of beach! Although it is not powder or sugar sand (as other reviewers have pointed out) it is a very clean, kid friendly, and comfortable beach. The grounds are very well maintained, buildings are easy to find, and resort is well laid out.

Normally I get a suite but none were available when we booked. The standard room was large, VERY clean, and quite comfortable. I like a cold room at night and have to mention that it was the absolute best AC I've ever had in a hotel! Our daily maid service was good and pretty well timed. We stayed in building 3 which was great proximity to everything.

Kids club was excellent. My daughter liked the staff and projects. We actually saw them out on looking for leaves for a project one day. It made my wife really happy to see her talking and laughing with the very kind and happy staff!

Beach cabanas

I highly recommend that you rent one for a day. Just don't do it early in your trip or you will want to go back each day. I used them on weekdays and it allowed me to be connected to my business as needed while still being on a family trip. They offer great wireless, needed shade, some privacy, and perfect access to the sand. My only complaint is that they are quite expensive!

Some points that need attention.

Poolside service

The staff at the pool are polite and friendly but have absolutely no sense of urgency. I understand the relaxed island attitude with employees and adjusted my expectations appropriately. Unfortunately that still was not enough. The tip is already added and it shows in the result.

Apparently due to Nevis rules they are no longer able to import many expats from other FS properties to work at the hotel. The ones that are imported tend to be in higher level roles. If they could put some in this area I guarantee they would literally run circles around this slow staff and sell three times the product in a shift. This is a minor issue but it clearly annoyed guests all week. People around the pool actually made jokes about it and placed bets on how long it would take for drinks to arrive. Not at all close to the worldwide FS standards.

Food in general

The breakfast buffet food is good. There are many options however they are limited in selection. They need to send a chef and F&B manager to the FS Maui for a week. There is a far greater variety at that breakfast buffet. In addition they offer a cooked to order daily special. This helps to break things up which is more important for guests spending the week.

There is no signature restaurant. They need a famous chef centered place to draw business. The main dining room was dead all week. Although the food was good there was just nothing creative or unique to draw in a crowd. Much improvement can be made in this area. SInce there are not enough people on the island to get a big name place perhaps they need to be creative. I suspect that it could be marketed as a nightly option for guests staying on the larger SKB island to come over on a boat ride for great dinner and romantic moon lit ride home. The upside is that some of those guests might choose to return on a future stay as a guest at the property.

Other dinner options suffered as the occupancy grew. After Saturday it was packed and there were very limited options for dining. The places were not packed so I am not sure if it was a staffing or supply issue. Hopefully that will be worked out over time with new management that is now in place.

Pools

The pools clearly need some style. The look is tired and dated and does not represent the best of the FS brand. . A complete renovation needs to be put into future budgets to bring the multiple pools up to todays FS standards. The adult pool is nowhere as good as FS Maui. The family pools are nice but the FS Hong Kong, Maui, Costa Rica, Vegas, Lanai, Houston, and many others put this pool area to shame. The main reason to go to the islands is to spend time by the water. Most people have high expectations on this amenity and hopefully this will be addressed over time.

Cleanliness

One of the hot tubs had a ring of dirt on the glass block. Someone had written "clean me" with a fingernail or stick in the actual ring of dirt before we arrived. The funny thing is that it was quite obvious to anyone who glanced at the pool. Somehow the staff overlooked it every day and the clean me slogan was still there when we departed. Yeeech!

Kid amenities

When we checked into our room there were no kid amenities. We have been spoiled at other FS properties with many items already waiting in the room prior to our arrival. This was not a huge issue as they were quickly delivered after a call. I only point it out as we have become used to the hotel being pro-active rather than reactive.

Monkey sighting

This is a cool amenity at sunset. It was well advertised but finding the golf cart staging area was difficult. Then the guide actually drove right by and had missed the area with 10+ monkeys. I was the 7th of 10 carts and had to shout and call him back. Finally the last five carts actually lost the group leader on the way back. He drove too fast and did not stop and wait for the whole group to catch up as he made turn decisions at various forks in the road. Remind him that we do not all know the course as well as he does.

Conclusion

As I stated earlier this is a great resort in a special place on earth. If you go here and don't find a way to relax and unwind it is likely your own issue. Although there are things that I would like to see changed or upgraded over time we will return! Should you have specific needs or expectations I suggest that you reach out in advance to Mr. Mohamed Elbanna. He is the resort manager and helped me finalize my room selection. Between Mr. Elbanna and the new GM Sven Wiedenhaupt I am confident that FS Nevis will rise to be one of the flagship resort properties in the portfolio.

Room Tip: We liked having a first floor walkout room however there was no ocean view.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank JP3CHICAGO
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We loved everything about this resort. The staff was incredibly kind, welcoming and approachable. We asked for a quiet, very private room and that's exactly what we got. We were in the 6th building and it was perfect. If you have children they seem to put you on the north side of the resort, no kids on the south. The room is standard issue Four Seasons. The layout almost mirrored exactly what we had at the Four Seasons Maui property a few years back. Great housekeeping service and room service was always prompt and delicious.

The beach is amazing - very warm water, great sand, lots of shells. There is excellent snorkeling right off the beach, tons of fish and turtles. Also there was never ever ever anyone on the beach. On a few days we were completely by ourselves. We couldn't believe it. Beach staff during the day were helpful but a tad on the slow side. We'd wait 20 minutes some days for our chairs to be set up and it doesn't seem to be encouraged that you do it yourself so we sat and waited. The little snacks throughout the day were delicious, particularly the coconut macaroons.

The food was much better than I expected given the reviews on Trip Advisor saying otherwise. It was simple food, nothing elaborate, but done very well. The mango souffle and steak at Coral Grill were a highlight and the jerk seasoned fries served with most sandwiches on the resort were incredibly addicting.

The spa is great albeit pretty expensive. It was small but well appointed and the massages we received were relaxing. The cold plunge pool has the best view on the resort of the mountains.

Vanessa on the concierge staff was amazing and super helpful before and during the trip. She always asked us how our day was going and even rearranged a tour without us having to ask due to bad weather.

We booked a cabana for one day and while I think it is a nice thing to do once, you don't have as much privacy as I was expecting. There was a corporate group in the same day we arrived and they planted themselves right by the cabana and proceeded to get wasted with lots of hooting and hollering. We left early because of it. Later in the day as we walked around the resort we noticed an employee was following us for a few minutes waiting to approach. It was a manager asking why we left early - we explained that the noise was not the most relaxing. She gave us another half day in the cabana later in the week which was a welcome touch. I can't remember the managers name but we spoke again later in the week as she wanted to make sure we had a good time on our second cabana day.

I found the transfer service from the airport on St. Kitts to the hotel to be very polished and a good value considering it probably would cost more and take about an hour or so longer if I attempted to arrange the travel privately. As soon as we left customs Four Seasons staff inexplicably knew we were guests and immediately walked up to us, asked for our last name, tagged our bags, put us in the shuttle and got us on the boat with very tasty rum punch and cold Carib beer in our hands. All in probably 15 minutes.

Overall Nevis was what we needed - very quiet with all the amenities that we would expect from a Four Seasons. It was far more affordable than the Hawaii locations and a bit easier to get to. I'd definitely return in the future.

Me being picky:

There was disposed gum full of dirt and leaves on the tile right outside our room on the second floor. It was never removed during our 8 night stay. I'd expect a road side motel to remove this day 1.

Our spa appointment was at 11. We arrived 30 minutes early to relax before the appointment as per the norm of any spa I've ever visited. The spa was apparently not ready/open yet as the relaxation room didn't have the promised nibbles, water or tea. The plunge pool cushions were piled up and on the ground leaving no where to sit and the same for the hot tub. If the spa opens at 11 and you book appointments at that time, I would expect the relaxation areas to be ready especially considering our couples massage cost over 500 dollars.

We tried to watch the sunset every day. The beach was empty of other guests (why I will never know) which was great but we could never find any of the beach staff to order drinks. We would have had a few drinks a night if someone was around but it seemed after 4/4:30 they would disappear.

3  Thank eyehearttravel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlestown
The Mount Nevis Hotel
St. Kitts Marriott Resort & The Royal Beach Casino
Paradise Beach Nevis
Paradise Beach Nevis
#4 of 7 in Nevis

Been to Four Seasons Resort Nevis, West Indies? Share your experiences!