1,870 results
All reviews golf course mango four seasons resort kids club adult pool pool staff boat ride st kitts water sports a mountain view room cold towels every staff member beautiful island indian summer family vacation killer bee ocean front
Selected filters
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I would definitely recommend both Nevis and the Four Seasons. It's a very quiet island, and I can imagine it would be a little too slow-paced and hard to find things to do (as a vacationer) if the Four Seasons weren't available to put together some very fun, very user-friendly activities/excursions for you.

I'll give a few tips that I haven't read in other reviews of this hotel:

Best things about the Four Seasons Nevis:

- Concierge desk. They have got to be the busiest people on the island. They really go above and beyond, calling you to suggest you reschedule tours because it's a national holiday (Labor Day) on the island so the museum will be closed, etc. Concierge-arranged activities are so easy that you get spoiled. If you ask for a dinner recommendation, they not only book the reservation for you but also arrange the taxi and put your name on a taxi list at the door so that you don't even have to tell them where you're going - they already know. You can even charge the taxis to your room for excursions.

- Related: the available activities. These are some of the activities the Four Seasons arranged for us: Source Hike halfway up the volcano (very strenuous, and they warned us appropriately about this even though the hike was optimistically labeled "moderate"); horseback riding along the beach and a foliage-heavy path; guided snorkeling along the reef fronting the resort; catamaran. We enjoyed all of them, but the activities I would most highly recommend are:
> Definitely don't miss the catamaran to St Kitts for snorkeling. It's blissful.
> The hikes are good, though there are easy ones (paved) and there are hard ones ("moderate"). The ones labeled "difficult" are actually killer! -- as in, you have to pull yourself up the volcano hand-over-hand with ropes.
> You've got to hire a taxi driver to take you around the island, but I would recommend you wait a bit and find a driver you especially like, and then request him/her.
> Golf course tour. It's free and sounds potentially boring, but in reality they give you the keys to a golf cart and you drive around a very gorgeous, hilly course, on and off path, and look at monkeys and swat golf balls. Very good fun! Most beautiful views of the island that we have seen all week.

Rooms:
- Not particularly luxurious, but very roomy with lovely balconies. If you don't have children with you, request buildings 8-10. 10 and I believe 9 are adults-only and are near beach chairs with red umbrellas - no children allowed. We requested to be moved out of our first room because we could hear children crying through the connecting door.
- When they moved us, they made it exquisitely painless. We hurriedly threw things back into suitcases and bags, and they did all the rest while we were on the beach. They also did not have any other King Ocean View rooms available, so they took us to view a room before we decided if we would move to it, and they moved two double beds together to form an odd, but very workable, Extra-King bed room.
- Not all ocean views are created equal. From Building 1, we could barely see the water, and we didn't like the location. From Building 10, we had a close-up view of the sunsets over the ocean, saw a bit of pool, etc.
- I'm pretty sure those aren't the famous Four Seasons beds. They're harder and the linens are rougher.

Spa:
- You can't miss the spa. You just can't. The four-handed Ayurvedic massage is ludicrously decadent.
- If it rains, there is no better place to be than in the whirlpool (extremely hot!) while the gentle rainshower is going on.

Food:
- Is good, though not great, at the hotel. Expensive. Full breakfasts cost $80-100 for two people.
- To eat out on the island, you will spend about $40-50 in round trip taxi fare and get essentially the same prices. We loved Golden Rock for lunch (beautiful view from up high), Bananas and Hermitage for dinner.
- The room service was perfect, especially breakfast. They tell you what time they will be there (always less than 30 minutes). You can eat on your balcony. If you order bagels, they bring you the toaster so it doesn't get either soggy or hard! We had lobster hash and steak and eggs every morning overlooking the ocean, once we figured out how pleasant room service there is.
- You can walk to the beach shacks, where drinks are $5 instead of $12. Sunshines is good and has a great jerk chicken, but we tried all 4 over there and our favorite by far was Double Deuce, which is behind Lyme and not directly on the water. Amazing ribs, amazing burger, stronger drinks than the Killer Bee. Beware that it is cash only.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
4  Thank styron
Reviewed May 14, 2013

This is a long overdue review as we stayed at the FS Nevis for seven nights in March 2013. The trip was great and give the resort my highest recommendation! If you are thinking of staying and looking for a sign then I highly suggest that you make that reservation! Hopefully you will not be disappointed and enjoy your stay as much as we did!

Our stay was split between two weeks. We arrived on a Wednesday and departed the following Tuesday. My biggest observation was that the first nights of our stay were very different than the last nights. There was a noticeable change due to occupancy. I suspect that this is the main challenge at all resorts however it was a bit more obvious at the FS Nevis. I will start with the highlights of the resort.

Overall property and grounds

The property is located on a nice stretch of beach! Although it is not powder or sugar sand (as other reviewers have pointed out) it is a very clean, kid friendly, and comfortable beach. The grounds are very well maintained, buildings are easy to find, and resort is well laid out.

Normally I get a suite but none were available when we booked. The standard room was large, VERY clean, and quite comfortable. I like a cold room at night and have to mention that it was the absolute best AC I've ever had in a hotel! Our daily maid service was good and pretty well timed. We stayed in building 3 which was great proximity to everything.

Kids club was excellent. My daughter liked the staff and projects. We actually saw them out on looking for leaves for a project one day. It made my wife really happy to see her talking and laughing with the very kind and happy staff!

Beach cabanas

I highly recommend that you rent one for a day. Just don't do it early in your trip or you will want to go back each day. I used them on weekdays and it allowed me to be connected to my business as needed while still being on a family trip. They offer great wireless, needed shade, some privacy, and perfect access to the sand. My only complaint is that they are quite expensive!

Some points that need attention.

Poolside service

The staff at the pool are polite and friendly but have absolutely no sense of urgency. I understand the relaxed island attitude with employees and adjusted my expectations appropriately. Unfortunately that still was not enough. The tip is already added and it shows in the result.

Apparently due to Nevis rules they are no longer able to import many expats from other FS properties to work at the hotel. The ones that are imported tend to be in higher level roles. If they could put some in this area I guarantee they would literally run circles around this slow staff and sell three times the product in a shift. This is a minor issue but it clearly annoyed guests all week. People around the pool actually made jokes about it and placed bets on how long it would take for drinks to arrive. Not at all close to the worldwide FS standards.

Food in general

The breakfast buffet food is good. There are many options however they are limited in selection. They need to send a chef and F&B manager to the FS Maui for a week. There is a far greater variety at that breakfast buffet. In addition they offer a cooked to order daily special. This helps to break things up which is more important for guests spending the week.

There is no signature restaurant. They need a famous chef centered place to draw business. The main dining room was dead all week. Although the food was good there was just nothing creative or unique to draw in a crowd. Much improvement can be made in this area. SInce there are not enough people on the island to get a big name place perhaps they need to be creative. I suspect that it could be marketed as a nightly option for guests staying on the larger SKB island to come over on a boat ride for great dinner and romantic moon lit ride home. The upside is that some of those guests might choose to return on a future stay as a guest at the property.

Other dinner options suffered as the occupancy grew. After Saturday it was packed and there were very limited options for dining. The places were not packed so I am not sure if it was a staffing or supply issue. Hopefully that will be worked out over time with new management that is now in place.

Pools

The pools clearly need some style. The look is tired and dated and does not represent the best of the FS brand. . A complete renovation needs to be put into future budgets to bring the multiple pools up to todays FS standards. The adult pool is nowhere as good as FS Maui. The family pools are nice but the FS Hong Kong, Maui, Costa Rica, Vegas, Lanai, Houston, and many others put this pool area to shame. The main reason to go to the islands is to spend time by the water. Most people have high expectations on this amenity and hopefully this will be addressed over time.

Cleanliness

One of the hot tubs had a ring of dirt on the glass block. Someone had written "clean me" with a fingernail or stick in the actual ring of dirt before we arrived. The funny thing is that it was quite obvious to anyone who glanced at the pool. Somehow the staff overlooked it every day and the clean me slogan was still there when we departed. Yeeech!

Kid amenities

When we checked into our room there were no kid amenities. We have been spoiled at other FS properties with many items already waiting in the room prior to our arrival. This was not a huge issue as they were quickly delivered after a call. I only point it out as we have become used to the hotel being pro-active rather than reactive.

Monkey sighting

This is a cool amenity at sunset. It was well advertised but finding the golf cart staging area was difficult. Then the guide actually drove right by and had missed the area with 10+ monkeys. I was the 7th of 10 carts and had to shout and call him back. Finally the last five carts actually lost the group leader on the way back. He drove too fast and did not stop and wait for the whole group to catch up as he made turn decisions at various forks in the road. Remind him that we do not all know the course as well as he does.

Conclusion

As I stated earlier this is a great resort in a special place on earth. If you go here and don't find a way to relax and unwind it is likely your own issue. Although there are things that I would like to see changed or upgraded over time we will return! Should you have specific needs or expectations I suggest that you reach out in advance to Mr. Mohamed Elbanna. He is the resort manager and helped me finalize my room selection. Between Mr. Elbanna and the new GM Sven Wiedenhaupt I am confident that FS Nevis will rise to be one of the flagship resort properties in the portfolio.

Room tip: We liked having a first floor walkout room however there was no ocean view.
Date of stay: March 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank JP3CHICAGO
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We loved everything about this resort. The staff was incredibly kind, welcoming and approachable. We asked for a quiet, very private room and that's exactly what we got. We were in the 6th building and it was perfect. If you have children they seem to put you on the north side of the resort, no kids on the south. The room is standard issue Four Seasons. The layout almost mirrored exactly what we had at the Four Seasons Maui property a few years back. Great housekeeping service and room service was always prompt and delicious.

The beach is amazing - very warm water, great sand, lots of shells. There is excellent snorkeling right off the beach, tons of fish and turtles. Also there was never ever ever anyone on the beach. On a few days we were completely by ourselves. We couldn't believe it. Beach staff during the day were helpful but a tad on the slow side. We'd wait 20 minutes some days for our chairs to be set up and it doesn't seem to be encouraged that you do it yourself so we sat and waited. The little snacks throughout the day were delicious, particularly the coconut macaroons.

The food was much better than I expected given the reviews on Trip Advisor saying otherwise. It was simple food, nothing elaborate, but done very well. The mango souffle and steak at Coral Grill were a highlight and the jerk seasoned fries served with most sandwiches on the resort were incredibly addicting.

The spa is great albeit pretty expensive. It was small but well appointed and the massages we received were relaxing. The cold plunge pool has the best view on the resort of the mountains.

Vanessa on the concierge staff was amazing and super helpful before and during the trip. She always asked us how our day was going and even rearranged a tour without us having to ask due to bad weather.

We booked a cabana for one day and while I think it is a nice thing to do once, you don't have as much privacy as I was expecting. There was a corporate group in the same day we arrived and they planted themselves right by the cabana and proceeded to get wasted with lots of hooting and hollering. We left early because of it. Later in the day as we walked around the resort we noticed an employee was following us for a few minutes waiting to approach. It was a manager asking why we left early - we explained that the noise was not the most relaxing. She gave us another half day in the cabana later in the week which was a welcome touch. I can't remember the managers name but we spoke again later in the week as she wanted to make sure we had a good time on our second cabana day.

I found the transfer service from the airport on St. Kitts to the hotel to be very polished and a good value considering it probably would cost more and take about an hour or so longer if I attempted to arrange the travel privately. As soon as we left customs Four Seasons staff inexplicably knew we were guests and immediately walked up to us, asked for our last name, tagged our bags, put us in the shuttle and got us on the boat with very tasty rum punch and cold Carib beer in our hands. All in probably 15 minutes.

Overall Nevis was what we needed - very quiet with all the amenities that we would expect from a Four Seasons. It was far more affordable than the Hawaii locations and a bit easier to get to. I'd definitely return in the future.

Me being picky:

There was disposed gum full of dirt and leaves on the tile right outside our room on the second floor. It was never removed during our 8 night stay. I'd expect a road side motel to remove this day 1.

Our spa appointment was at 11. We arrived 30 minutes early to relax before the appointment as per the norm of any spa I've ever visited. The spa was apparently not ready/open yet as the relaxation room didn't have the promised nibbles, water or tea. The plunge pool cushions were piled up and on the ground leaving no where to sit and the same for the hot tub. If the spa opens at 11 and you book appointments at that time, I would expect the relaxation areas to be ready especially considering our couples massage cost over 500 dollars.

We tried to watch the sunset every day. The beach was empty of other guests (why I will never know) which was great but we could never find any of the beach staff to order drinks. We would have had a few drinks a night if someone was around but it seemed after 4/4:30 they would disappear.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank eyehearttravel
Reviewed May 11, 2013

This is a wonderful hotel in a stunning location. I highly recommend it to couples or families or those travelling solo. My stay was faultless and I will definitely go back. The staff were super, the rooms fab and the food amazing. Top notch through and through and what you would expect from this fantastic company. I stayed in a deluxe ocean view room which had a super balcony and was very spacious. Also definitely get the hotel transfers as its a slick operation.

Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Nothing beats the Four Season's ferry ride from St. Kitts to Nevis, where you are immediately greeted with smiles and rum punch. From our warm welcome at the Nevis dock, we experienced nothing but tremendous service from the staff at the Four Seasons. This was our first (and hopefully not last) stay at this resort and were extremely pleased with the beautiful rooms, 2X a day housekeeping, and excellent facilities. Either someone in our corporate events group or a staffer at the Four Seasons is an ace planner, but most of the families with children were placed down at the pools were children were welcome. For us, it was really fabulous to be able to walk directly out of our groundfloor room and be steps away from the Reflection Pool (open to those 16+yrs). We found ourselves using the patio door quite a bit and did not miss having a view from the second floor.

For this time of year, we noted that the resort did not seem busy or full, in spite of hosting at least two corporate groups; the pools and the beaches always seemed very empty. What a luxury to have the pool staff bring sorbets and other treats while lounging on the beach. The concierge was also fantastically helpful in making dinner and other excursion recommendations. We visited Charlestown once on our own and that was good for picking up some breakfast supplies; otherwise, the town is very small (only 10,000 people total on the island). I would lower your expectations in terms of restaurants or sights to see in town.

We enjoyed dinner at Mango's, though my husband found his fish overcooked. The other meals we had were buffet dinners and they were excellent. Breakfast at the Coral Reef was also very good and a nice way to start the day, especially once the company picked up the tab for the buffets.

Definitely worth a visit are the troop of African vervet monkeys who hang out on the golf course in the morning. Also, be sure to bring bug spray as we had some evenings where hungry insects made their presence known. And, if you can take a tour of Nevis, that's a really good way to hear about the history of the island from a local and get the inside scoop on restaurants. We received a recommendation to go to Banana's, where we enjoyed a delicious beef shortrib on their magical patio. Golden Rock also had excellent food in a very pretty setting. One of the most fun places within walking distance of the Four Seasons is Sunshine's, of course. Very good fish, conch, and lobster dishes at a reasonable price and their unforgettable $5 "Killer Bee" rum punch. After a while, the $12-$15 drinks at the Four Seasons adds up...and up...

As an aside, I was not prepared for the humidity. In spite of spending a lot of time in Hawaii, the humidity and heat were almost overwhelming on warmer days. I was not expecting to be as affected by it, so for those of you from drier climes, just a heads up.

Room tip: Those of you with kids will want to be closer to the pools where younger folks are welcome. Also, be warned that there are lizards, frogs, etc. who would be happy to hang out in your air conditioned room, so close the doors.
  • Trip type: Traveled on business