“Dear Manager” 3 of 5 bubbles

London
“Dear Manager”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

Dear 4 seasons manager,

When we arrived there were 3 notes in our room asking us to contact you if there are any problems. Of course, there seem to be 3 different managers, none of whom have e-mail addresses or phone numbers. There are no contact details on the website either - I checked.

After a week, and not even having left the hotel yet, I now know why none of the managers left their contact details. It is because none of them cares. The resort looks picture perfect, but the food is no better than at Denny's, possibly worse, and vastly overpriced. Service is slow and the whole approach can be summarised by the single word "unintelligent".

If the hotel thinks that people able to afford this hotel will flock to it and be stupid enough to keep coming back when they get 3-star treatment for 5-star prices, they are wrong. I made the mistake once and won't make it again.

The worst thing is that the "managers" don't even realise this. They are not leading the team at the hotel.

We heard one of the beach attendants pleading with the kitchen on the radio, asking that food a guest had ordered be delivered. It was obviously very late, and yet the kitchen decided to argue the point. So - even the keen beach attendant's efforts to improve service levels were defeated. The "managers" responsible for this fiasco should just be fired.

In a way the failure of this hotel will be a good thing for the otherwise charming and wonderful island, because the hotel's presence here has really jacked up the prices everywhere to unsustainable levels. When this hotel is removed the island can get back to reality and other hotels can finally breathe a sigh of relief.

Room Tip: Try another hotel.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank Symbolics
FSRN_Resort_Manager, Manager at Four Seasons Resort Nevis, West Indies, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding the difficulties you experienced during your stay which is very much appreciated.

Your visit to Nevis and Four Seasons Resort were to experience the consistent service product that we have become known for and it is clear from your comments that we failed to meet your expectations in many areas. We sincerely apologize for the inconsistency with the poor service you received. Your stay may not have been in keeping with your expectations, however, please be assured we are always anxious to hear about the concerns that prevent our guests from fully enjoying their stay and in so doing, this will help us to improve our service to future guests.
Again, I am truly sorry that your experience at the Four Seasons Resort was not a better one.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Chicago
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

As a guest at Golden Rock Inn on Nevis, I stopped here for lunch .. Expecting exceptional food and service. I got neither. Non-guests are apparently guided to the pool cabana for lunch. It was crowded, noisy and without any ambience.

It took several minutes for a server to attend, then she removed the only napkin and utensils when she realized I was a solo diner?!? I ordered ice water and two starters - gazpacho and smoked salmon with quinoa. 30 minutes later I got the soup ... No bread, still no napkin, I had to ask. I was quickly served the salmon, but then waited 15+ mins for someone to get my check.

Very disappointing. On Nevis the restaurants automatically add 15% as a tip and generally give you the receipt plus the credit charge slip and u can subtract the % if u do not agree. NOT SO @ Four Seasons. I never got a receipt. $27.94.

Beware.
PS The only friendly engaging person there was the female gate keeper who laughed when she saw me navigate the entrance after turning in on the right rather than the left ..

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank darklinglass
FSRN_Resort_Manager, Manager at Four Seasons Resort Nevis, West Indies, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent visit. It is important we know of your experiences and also follow-up here and improve our services.

Please accept my sincere apologies for our shortcomings during your visit, particularly the poor quality of the food and service. Clearly, we did not perform to our usual standards and I sincerely regret that once we recognized the problems they were not dealt with effectively, which is the minimum expectation.

I can assure you that the information you have provided has been very valuable for me to share with our team and has allowed us to follow up on the service discrepancies. Through feedback like yours we can grow and strengthen our service levels.

I truly hope that despite these service shortcomings we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back and the chance to restore your confidence in us. If I can be of any assistance in the future please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely yours,
Mohamed Elbanna
Resort Manager
Farmingdale, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

We recently ate at the Neve restaurant because we had heard about the resort from friends who raved about their lunch and the ambiance. We were staying at the Nesbith Plantation but decided to try the Four Seasons for dinner. We were told the earliest we could have dinner was 9pm yet when we arrived the reataurant was virtually empty. I ordered the Frito di Mare appetizer and red snapper for dinner. When I was able to pierce the calamari with a fork, the bread coating was rock hard and what you expected from Colonel Saunders, I found the the calamari to be be very chewy (all three pieces!) the same could be said for the shrimp.My snapper was totally devoid of seasoning and therefor had no taste. The only reason I did not give a terrible rating is because the ambiance and service sre first rate. We should have listened to our cab driver who told us that people who stay at Four Seasons go out for dinner.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Bill P
FSRN_Resort_Manager, Manager at Four Seasons Resort Nevis, West Indies, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Thank you for coming to the island of Nevis and Four Seasons Resort Nevis for dinner. We sincerely regret your food experience was not up to par. We really appreciate you acknowledging the ambience and service as these standards are very important for us as a Four Seasons Resort. However, the quality of our food is also a major priority in the dining experience we provide. Your specific and candid feedback on the dishes and why you didn't enjoy them is a big help to us in identifying areas for improvement in our menus. I know our Chefs and Concierge regarding your reservation timing were also appreciative of your comments, which can only help us refine our service. if your travels take you back to Nevis, we hope you will visit us again and do contact my office directly if we can assist with any reservations. My e-mail is mohamed.elbanna@fourseasons.com

Sincerely yours,
Mohamed Elbanna
Resort Manager
Milton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

Just completed an extended long weekend at the Four Seasons Resort Nevis! It was incredible from start to finish! We were met at the airport in St. Kitts and brought by boat to the island with complimentary rum punch (delicious), cool damp hand/face towels and seating both in and outside of the sun. The warm and friendly staff met us at the boat and escorted us to our gorgeous room overlooking the Reflection (adults only) pool and the Caribbean sea. Management left us homemade rum cake - an island specialty - with a welcome note. I can't say enough about the great staff and service at this resort. Most grew up on the island and could not have been more friendly and helpful. From Sammy, Steve and Renita at the beach to Amber and Heather at Neve (the breakfast restaurant) to Michael and Erstene at the Pool Cabana bar we could not have felt more welcome. When we went to Mango's (one of the on property restaurants) we were provided with a complimentary ride to and from in one of the resort golf carts. Our driver offerred to have us picked up the next morning for a 7:00 a.m. tour of the resort grounds and to see the "green" monkeys that are about at dusk and dawn. When the staff member picked us up he brought us each a cup of hot coffee to enjoy during the tour - totally unsolicited! (Thanks, RJ!) It really doesn't get much better than this. I just got back and it is going to be hard to adjust to life as I know it....but isn't that what a good vacation is about? We loved it and will return!

Room Tip: Loved building #9 on the second floor with the ocean view. It was quiet and away from the action bu...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank KathyC2of7
manitoba
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

We recently returned from our first trip to Nevis. The water was clear and warm.

We have travelled all over the world, and the Caribbean hospitality has absolutely no equal. The genuine nature of the staff was such a wonderful bonus.
The staff would remember my name after each initial encounter and I have to say that I was very impressed.
I did mention to one pool attendant how absolutely amazing that is to me, given the number of people she must meet each and every day over the year.

What is genius at this resort are the special little niceties that you don't get at other 5 star hotels. Examples are, sunscreen at the pools, cool- eucalyptus towels on a hot day, frozen pineapple or coconut macaroons offered while lazing at the pool, or iced, strawberry water when laying at the ocean baking in the hot sun.

The pool floaties are a nice touch and the bean bags in the adult pool were perfect when wanting to be in the water but, not fully underwater.

Washing machines offered at the cottages, pure brilliance. It was so nice upon returning home to simply unpack our bags vs. having loads of laundry to do (one is depressed enough when arriving home without having to face laundry).

the ferry to and from St. Kitts was fun and Rum Punch aplenty, yum.

The rooms are clean, and L'Occitaine is the product we already use so this was a lovely surprise that the hotel is familiar with the superior product .

These things are so special and go far with most travellers unless one is looking for things to complain about.

we did not rent a cabana on the beach but, had we been travelling with other families that would have been a definite consideration as they appears lovely and perfectly convenient.

Breakfast was tasty and varied, with the staff always friendly and accommodating. Overall, I would be very happy to return to the resort only next time, I'd bring my teenage girls to enjoy the tennis, and beach volleyball or jet skis.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank 4hassel
Toronto, ON
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

The Four Seasons Nevis is a terrific place to have a laid back holiday by the beach, pool and spa. The resort is also a great choice for a more active holiday. There are three different marked trails on the resort, and every morning we had breakfast and did the longer (five mile) hike up the mountain and around the golf course. It is up hill for the first half of the walk, but it pays off in spades on the return with spectacular views of the resort, the ocean and St. Kitts in the distance. My wife is an advanced tennis player, and she enjoyed the Peter Burwash based tennis program. Each day was a different clinic (both hard court and red clay) and it was a good way to meet other guests. All of the pros were fantastic. We played three rounds of golf on the Robert Trent Jones designed course. It is a really fun course and not too difficult (intermediate players will enjoy it). It has many mountain side elevated tees looking out over the ocean. You need to take a power cart since it is very hilly (built into a mountain) and there are some fairly long distances between tees. You will see many monkeys on the course, which adds to the tropical setting. We were pleased to learn that the resort offered free laundry and detergent in each building. We could have packed much lighter knowing this prior to arriving. I'd suggest booking in advance for Mango restaurant so you can sit on the terrace over looking the ocean - spectacular! Nevis is very safe island and we went out to three meals off the resort property - our favorite was "Bananas Bistro". It is tucked into the jungle and is oozing with ambiance. Overall, Four Seasons Nevis is a terrific resort experience offering your choice of a relaxing or active holiday.

Room Tip: The Morning Star building is very well located. Upper level is best.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

Great arrival on boat from St Kitts. You are met at the airport and driven the short journey through Basseterre to the port. It's a fun boat ride across to volcanic Nevis and the Four Seasons pier. Pinney's beach is not the white sands and turquoise waters of the Bahamas, but it stretches for miles and with the looming mountain behind, it is pretty dramatic.

We were taken straight to our villa in a golf cart and were checked in there. Lovely two-bedroom villa surrounded by a verandah, completely sheathed in mosquito netting. Furnishings are a bit Four Seasons generic but fine. We travelled with our two boys (3 and 6) and our nanny and were very comfortable. View across the 18th fairway to the sea and St Kitts. Tropical greenery and flowers everywhere. Plunge pool. Room service great despite the distance to the main hotel. Each villa has its own golf cart which is great for getting around.

Spent most of our time on the beach and pools, swimming, hoby cats, kayaks etc. The breakwaters which they put in place to guard against hurricane surges also break up the sea view, but they attract more sea life so are good for snorkelling. Tennis club is great.
Kids for All Seasons is good, with a decent space in the hotel and a playground outside. The kids club staff could have been more animated.

The grounds and golf course are lush and pretty, with relics of old stone mills and the golf course rising dramatically up the forested slopes of the volcano behind the hotel. Monkeys gather on the golf course, to the delight of the kids. They also loved the crabs, geckos, donkey spiders (tarantulas) and the fire ants which bite fiendishly. This is the tropics.

Excursions are few on Nevis. We went to the Botanical Gardens and went for dinner at the Montpellier Plantation - VERY quiet.

Food at the hotel was OK and there's good variety, but nothing special. Mango restaurant on the beach at night is good, looking across the strait to the lights of St Kitts. Best was the lunch at the adults-only pool. Fresh and well-cooked. Always barbeque meat or fish and vegetables.Service is friendly if sometimes at island pace.

It's not Sandy Lane, but value is great when compared with other top Caribbean hotels. We liked it. Kids loved it. I'd happily recommend it and would gladly go again.

Room Tip: If you want a sea view go for rooms in Clarks or Coconut Walk. Good views over to St Kitts. Also, yo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Jafarcakes
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlestown
The Mount Nevis Hotel
Ocean Terrace Inn
#2 of 6 in Basseterre
Nisbet Plantation Beach Club
St. Kitts Marriott Resort & The Royal Beach Casino

Been to Four Seasons Resort Nevis, West Indies? Share your experiences!