“Well worth the trek!”
Review of Nevis Peak Hike

Ranked #3 of 53 things to do in Nevis
More attraction details
Owner description: This volcano is a favorite climbers, hikers and cyclists.
Reviewed December 22, 2013

You should believe everything you read about this being difficult. It is muddy, wet, and challenging! Overall it was amazing though when you reached the top. Make sure you ask for Reggie to be your guide. He is phenomenal

1  Thank Matthew H
"flora and fauna"
"long sleeve shirt"
"entire trail"

Reviewed December 21, 2013

Myself and a buddy completed the hike up the mountain in about 80 minutes. Its pretty challenging and tough, but all in all a great time. We choose to have Reggie from Nevis Adventure Tours be our guide and he was an excellent choice. Very professional, very safe and I would recommend him and his company to anyone thinking about this hike. While you may be able to complete the hike without a guide, its worth the small cash outlay to hire someone like Reggie.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

My husband and I completed this hike today as part of his 30th birthday trip to St Kitts. We had completed the mount liamagua crater climb earlier in the week and so were up for a challenge. We got the ferry over to Nevis and had organised to be picked up by a local taxi driver on the recommendation of sunrise tours (who we organised our tour with). Just a word of caution: the ferry timetable on the website is inaccurate as there was no 7am ferry so we ended up waiting an hour at the ferry port in Basettere. Upon arrival in Nevis, we were picked up by our taxi driver who took us to to meet out guide. We set off up a paved road for about a quarter of a mile past the Peak Heaven and then into a grassy incline. This then became a covered rainforest trail with lots of roots to go over. There were loads of butterflies to see. This then continued for about a mile before we then came to a gulley and the first of the rope climbs. This short initial climb gives a small idea of things to come. We then carried on ascending up through the rain forest for about another half mile and then the real challenge began. The remainder of the journey to the summit is extremely strenuous. There are a series of seemingly never ending ascents up a mixture of root ladders, rocks and muddy slopes with intermittent ropes which become increasingly damp and slippery as you climb literally into the clouds. Some portions require not only nerves of steel but significant stamina, upper and lower body strength. This is a total body workout and not for the faint hearted or inexperienced. It is significantly more challenging than Mount Liamigua. It is extremely muddy, slippery and at times could be described as dangerous. This being said it is well worth doing and a must for keen experienced hikers visiting St Kitts and Nevis. We have hiked extensively In Arizona, Hawaii and Utah however nothing comes close- not even koko crater.

A few tips- wear old clothes and bring a change as our taxi driver took us to the Golden Rock inn for lunch (which was excellent and good value) to refuel.
Bring a snack for the top- the local raisin roll always goes down a treat and will last if bought the night before.
Bring around 1.5l of water per person
If you have weight lifting gloves or equivalent these would be extremely helpful for the ropes, roots and mud.

Round trip was about 4hours with 15-20 minutes at the top with the book to sign and a break to refuel. The clouds obscured our view although there were excellent views of Charlestown about 2/3 of the way up. Good luck if you chose to do it.

4  Thank JMart2013
Reviewed October 24, 2013

amazing!!Iggy was our guide, very knowledgeable about the area and good at letting you catch your breath.
It is hard work you will be clambering up vertical paths over rocks and mud. There are lots of ropes where needed to help you up and down. Take stuff you don;t mind getting muddy and water.
We didn't get to see the view from the top as the clouds were low the day we went but honestly it didnt matter.
I think i prefered the down more than the up as it was mentally challenging and so much fun!!

1  Thank travelbunny32
See more reviews
Reviewed September 30, 2013

My husband and I were celebrating our second anniversary in Nevis, and this hike was at the top of his to-do list. He described it to me as a hike before we went, but I found out later (during the "hike") that it's really a climb. We are both avid runners (have done several half marathons each) and we weight train 3 times a week with push-ups, pull-ups, dips, and lots of body-resistance exercises. I couldn't imagine a hike that would be too hard for me, so I agreed to go with him. I was going to be 13 weeks pregnant for the scheduled hike, and with the way we described it to our midwife, she said it would be fine but to consume lots of iron-rich foods the week before.

We were staying at the Four Seasons and the taxi ride was so bumpy we couldn't even eat our breakfast (bagels with cream cheese) on the way there. When we stopped and got out, my husband hadn't secured the hiking backpack correctly and he dropped our breakfast on the muddy ground. So we started our hike on coffee-only empty stomachs. I had packed plenty of water and energy bars, I bought us hiking shoes, and we wore workout clothes. Thank goodness we were at least that prepared. Our guide Kervin wore old tennis shoes with no laces, was slightly overweight, and was carrying a bottle of water in his hand instead of a pack. Looking at him we thought it would be pretty simple. Wrong! We ended up going through all of our water, and with Kervin included, all of our 8 energy bars.

The adventure isn't a "hike" for very long. It took us about 2.5 hours up and another 2.5 down. I can't even imagine how it could only take someone 1 hour and 15 minutes to get to the top... Only the first and last 30 minutes are hiking. From there you are climbing on ropes and vines. It is muddy, and the ground and ropes are very slick. Most of the time it's easier to get a grip on the vines than the slick ropes. Our hands were so torn up after the hike, I wish we had brought weight-lifting gloves (old yucky ones since they were going to get filthy). We had to rest every once in a while on the way up. Toward the top I started getting very tired and hit my head hard on an overlying tree while climbing. I told my husband this wasn't fun for me and I had 5 minutes of climbing energy left before I stopped, peak or not. We got to the peak in 5 minutes though and couldn't see anything. We stayed for 15-20 minutes hoping the clouds would clear, but no. Never got a view of anything. We couldn't even take good pictures of us because of how thick the clouds were.

The way down was even scarier for me than the way up. If I wasn't pregnant I probably could have relaxed a little more, but every step I took and rope I hung from, I had to be so careful not to get hurt or fall because of the baby. If you think it's slippery on the way up, just wait until you head down. There was one spot in particular I remember where you have to slide across a rock face and there are no foot or hand holds. Not proud of this, but I cried. Kervin helped me across but it took me 10 minutes to get the courage to do it. I should mention I'm afraid of heights too and at that place you can see hundreds of feet down the mountain...

Overall, I was just glad the baby and I were alive afterward. I would never do it again. Had some scratches, bruises and bug bites, but nothing serious. The best part was finishing and the relief we felt afterwards. Also, you would never find anything like this in the US (not because it's a tropical volcano, but for legal reasons I couldn't imagine a trail this slippery and strenuous). We went back to the resort and worked the mud off of our clothes and bodies in the ocean. I thought our backpack and clothes would be ruined, but thankfully I threw everything in the guest laundry at the Four Seasons and it came out like new. I was very sore the next day and a little bit sore on day 2. Even though we told Kervin within the first 20 minutes of the hike that I was pregnant, he didn't mention until much later that there were other much easier hikes to do, including one he did with his girlfriend when she was pregnant. It sounds like there are better guides out there from what other reviewers have said. Overall, I'm not sorry I did it, but I would have preferred to do it before I got pregnant.

1  Thank Sarah B