“Nevis Peak Hike - debunking the myths”
Review of Nevis Peak Hike

Ranked #3 of 53 things to do in Nevis
More attraction details
Owner description: This volcano is a favorite climbers, hikers and cyclists.
Reviewed June 30, 2012

I do not normally do reviews, but feel compelled to write about the Nevis Peak hike, because this was one of the most enjoyable hikes I have ever done. I was in two minds, because (1) I do not want to deprive guides of their livelihood and (2) I do not want to inappropriately convince unsuitable candidates to attempt this hike.

Much has been written about the importance of guides and how difficult and strenuous this climb is. I wish to give my views on these issues, to try and give balance to the reviews.

To debunk the two myths about this hike:

There is nothing wrong with hiring a guide if this is what you like to do. However, as stated by some other reviewers, this hike does not need a guide. It is extremely straight-forward to find and to stay on the trail. All you need to do is go up the road just after the Gingerland Police Station (if travelling North on the main ring road) and follow the signs to Peak Heaven. Park outside the gates. Walk past the black gates with white tips and go up the wide path next to these gates, following a chainlink fence. Then just keep going!

I am 52 and of average fitness. I do not go to the gym, take no regular formal exercise and am not a climber, but I do the occasional hike. I was concerned about reference to 1,000 – 1200 foot vertical climbs on ropes, but decided to go and have a look with my 15 year old son, planning to give up when the going got too tough. In reality, the ropes, which are in 15-25 foot sections, are there to assist clambering over large rocks if you need them – we did not use them going up but did use some of them coming down, primarily because the trail is permanently wet and can be slippery in places. The trail is totally shaded and cool, making it a very pleasant way to escape the Caribbean heat (we did the hike late June). We did the hike up to the clearing with the “guest book” in a little under 1 ½ hours and did not feel particularly tired. We did not go further (some reviewers talk of going on to a second summit), as this was intended as a pre-breakfast hike. Roundtrip from the car was around 3 hours. I intended to re-do the hike with my wife later in the day, and certainly felt up to it, but she decided to lie by the pool instead (it was our last day on Nevis).

In summary, while this trail may not be for everyone, anyone with reasonable fitness and a sense of adventure will love the hike. Warning: You will get quite muddy and it is more than likely that you will not enjoy any views due to the clouds, so you should do the hike for the safe of the hike, not for the views, which I am sure are great if you are lucky enough to have a break in the clouds (not our case). Despite the lack of view, this was the most exciting and rewarding hike I have ever done, hence my wish to share this experience with others via this review.

13  Thank Simon T
"flora and fauna"
"hiking shoes"
"entire trail"
in 2 reviews
"great sense of accomplishment"

Reviewed May 31, 2012

We had a guide for this hike, but if you are in shape and don't mind some hand over hand climbing you can do this on your own.

To get there you'll need to drive to the police station in Gingerland and take a left there if you're coming from Charlestown. From there, follow the signs to the Peak Heaven http://www.peakheavennevis.com/Location.html. You can park near Peak Heaven and then follow the road up for the trail head.

The beginning is easy enough and gets you warmed up for the climb up the peak. There are fixed ropes to help you along in the tough spots. Just be sure to take it easy on the way down as its steep and there are a lot of muddy spots, roots, rocks, etc...

We left around 8 and made it to the top around 9:30. The peak was still covered in clouds, but I think if you go later in the morning you're more likely to get a clear view from the top. That said, it gets dark at 7PM and there's no way you can find your way down after sunset so leave yourself at least 3-4 hours for the round-trip.

2  Thank Opustex
Reviewed March 11, 2012

Hard to find, no guide needed. Go early it takes about 4-5 hours total. Awsome view. Breathtaking

Reviewed February 23, 2012

make sure to get a guide, our hotel arranged one for us

See more reviews
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Nevis Peak is a a physically challenging hike but worth every bit of the effort. I am 49 and generally fit--(play soccer 2X week, walk at least 1.5-3.0 miles daily and do some interval running and occasional weights). I tell you that so you can so you can consider your general fitness level. You need upper body as well as lower body strength. This hike is short--took us 1.5 hours up and about 2 hours down, but IT IS vigorous. Be prepared to to maneuver with ropes, tree limbs and roots. That means down and dirty--lots of mud and plenty of time spent on your hands and knees. The elevation is about 3000 feet. Ropes are your friends on the way up. Tree roots are your friends on the way down. I managed to get blisters on my hands which made the ropes a little painful on the way down. We used a guide. He was awesome. Although, the concierge at the Four Seasons was able to give us the phone # of the guide, they do not directly book for liability reasons. We booked our hike through Divito @ [--].He arranged for a taxi to pick us up at the Four Seasons. They like to start early--but I was able to convince him to pick us up a little later at 7:30am. The weather effects the experience on the summit. When we first arrived there was zero visibility, but within moments, the sky had cleared, so hang on a bit at the top and hopefully, the clouds will cooperate. The view was awesome. The hike was more than awesome!! I highly recommend this hike. It is probably done best with a guide, unless you are an experienced hiker. Some parts of the trail are marked with red ribbons but there are many areas that are not. Wear hiking boots if you can. Sneakers can work but it gets slippery. Bring a camera. We only consumed about 20 fl. oz of water each. Back packs can be heavy so keep that in mind. On the way down, I had to eat an energy bar. We were pretty tired at the end . The guide upon our questioning told us that the oldest hiker that he accompanied was 60. I'm glad we made the hike at 49!

4  Thank Travelmore