“Gotta do this”
Review of Nevis Peak Hike

Ranked #3 of 53 things to do in Nevis
More attraction details
Owner description: This volcano is a favorite climbers, hikers and cyclists.
New York City, New York
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Gotta do this”
Reviewed February 23, 2012

make sure to get a guide, our hotel arranged one for us

Visited January 2012

Newton, Massachusetts
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“A "Must Do" if you are FIT!”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Nevis Peak is a a physically challenging hike but worth every bit of the effort. I am 49 and generally fit--(play soccer 2X week, walk at least 1.5-3.0 miles daily and do some interval running and occasional weights). I tell you that so you can so you can consider your general fitness level. You need upper body as well as lower body strength. This hike is short--took us 1.5 hours up and about 2 hours down, but IT IS vigorous. Be prepared to to maneuver with ropes, tree limbs and roots. That means down and dirty--lots of mud and plenty of time spent on your hands and knees. The elevation is about 3000 feet. Ropes are your friends on the way up. Tree roots are your friends on the way down. I managed to get blisters on my hands which made the ropes a little painful on the way down. We used a guide. He was awesome. Although, the concierge at the Four Seasons was able to give us the phone # of the guide, they do not directly book for liability reasons. We booked our hike through Divito @ [--].He arranged for a taxi to pick us up at the Four Seasons. They like to start early--but I was able to convince him to pick us up a little later at 7:30am. The weather effects the experience on the summit. When we first arrived there was zero visibility, but within moments, the sky had cleared, so hang on a bit at the top and hopefully, the clouds will cooperate. The view was awesome. The hike was more than awesome!! I highly recommend this hike. It is probably done best with a guide, unless you are an experienced hiker. Some parts of the trail are marked with red ribbons but there are many areas that are not. Wear hiking boots if you can. Sneakers can work but it gets slippery. Bring a camera. We only consumed about 20 fl. oz of water each. Back packs can be heavy so keep that in mind. On the way down, I had to eat an energy bar. We were pretty tired at the end . The guide upon our questioning told us that the oldest hiker that he accompanied was 60. I'm glad we made the hike at 49!

Visited February 2012
4 Thank Travelmore
Brooklyn, New York
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“no joke”
Reviewed February 16, 2012

Not for the faint of heart but bananas...one of the best hikes anywhere

Visited May 2011
1 Thank brooklynusa02
Boston
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Hike Nevis Peak if you dare!”
Reviewed January 23, 2012

We have hiked extensively in the Green and White Mountains in New England, so were up to the rigor. It was challenging because it was steep, more a combination, of rock climbing, rope climbing using the fixed ropes, and hiking. Took us 2 hours up and 2 hours down. Coming down is slow because of the rapelling with the ropes to get down the steep parts. Also, you end up very muddy. Use a guide... we heard a story about someone who hiked it alone and fell into a pit, was hurt, and spent 8 days up there before he was found. I think it would also be easy just to get lost, because there are several spurs off the main trail.

Visited December 2011
1 Thank canuckinma
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Tough, challenging, exhausting, and exhilarating...”
Reviewed January 8, 2012

The first thing I would say is that the hike is a good deal tougher than I anticipated. I enjoy hiking mountains for recreation and would put this hike at the top of the scale for difficulty for non technical 3-4K peaks that I've done. In fact I'm not certain that it shouldn't be considered technical since it would be damn near impossible to summit this peak without using the ropes that are fastened for your assistance on the mountain.

The other thing I would say is to be prepared to get muddy. Not slightly muddy...full body muddy. The mountain is at least 50% full body scramble where you will be relying upon grabbing rocks, ropes, and roots to make it up and down. The guide told us that it's always muddy to I suspect this can't be avoided.

In terms of a guide, I would say to get one. There isn't a trail marker anywhere on the mountain and the route is overgrown in parts. I think an experienced climber/hiker could make it without it but for a recreational hiker, our guide was definitely quite helpful.

Be prepared to be disappointed at the summit unless you get real lucky and the peak is not covered in clouds.

In the end, if you would enjoy a tough challenging day scramble up a muddy hill, I'd say go for it. If you're in Nevis for some beach and sun and aren't really a hiker but think it might be fun just for the heck of it, I'd suggest getting a lobster roll at the golden rock inn instead for a more relaxing time and a better view.

In the end, I know very few people who have ever climbed a mountain and panned the experience afterwards. There's something fulfilling in the experience itself. Was this my favorite mountain ever? Certainly not. The final view is disappointing and it's muddy (there are some spectacular views coming up the mountain though). Did I have a good time? You bet...but then again I like climbing mountains. My wife enjoyed it much less. I'll tell you what though, it's always a cool feeling to look at Mount Nevis and know that we made it all the way to the top.

7 Thank Kokangdragon