“It wasn't a good night.”
Review of Bananas

Bananas
Ranked #1 of 56 Restaurants in Nevis
Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Situated on the edge of the Rainforest Bananas is casual fun dining in a magical setting. We take our food very seriously but it is good home cooking prepared by hard working local ladies, not fancy or Gourmet.. However our menu is very creative and we use only fresh ingredients and where possible free range organic produce and meats. We have Magnificent Sunset views from our Firefly lounge and a superb selection of cocktails and old rums and a small selection of cuban Cigars.
Reviewed February 28, 2012

With all the talk about Bananas being the best restaurant on the island, combined with the difficulty of getting there, we were expecting to be wowed. Instead, there were a number of things that caused us to rate it low. To begin, they should make it known that they sell cigars and allow them to be smoked anywhere in the restaurant. Had we known that we never would have gone there. Soon after we had ordered, 2 men lit up cigars. They were part of a group of 8 very loud people. While we understood the restaurant had no control over the noise level it made for an unpleasant evening.
Although lobster is on the menu, they only had one order left. Midway through our meal there was a torrential downpour. The tables are on a porch of a house, wide open and with no rain protection. I got soaked; we scurried to move our table and chairs, as did other diners. No one from the restaurant offered help.
As the plates were cleared by the hostess she asked if everything was alright. I told her I was very wet from the rain. Her first comment was that the rain typically comes in on the other side of the porch. This being said in sight of a number of tables having been moved. She did apologize (although it didn't seem genuine), and offered to pay for our drinks.
As for the food, it was good but did not seem worth the price. Service was not consistent throughout the meal.

3  Thank Didikl

Reviewed February 25, 2012

A friend and I chartered a sailboat for a week in the Leeward Islands. We stopped in at Nevis for a couple days and found Bananas in our cruising guide. Unlike some islands, the best restaurants on Nevis are up on the slopes of the mountain. Cooled by the altitude and the breezes, the dining experience on Nevis is sublime. Bananas is a taxi ride up the mountain from the port and is located in a beautiful jungle setting. The vibe is what I would call ex-pat plantation house.

Our waiter, Shane, was a local and was fabulous. He had a great sense of humor and steered us through the menu. Dinner was superb. afterwards we had drinks at the bar and enjoyed just taking in the lively atmosphere.

Great food, great fun, excellent setting! One of the best dining experiences we had on our trip.

Tip: make a reservation if you want a table with a view of the sunset. We didn't and were in the back of the porch. Didn't matter to us though.

1  Thank upnatum
Reviewed February 16, 2012

Went to Nevis with my parents for my college graduation gift. Banana's was my favorite restaurant on the trip (and we tried a bunch of different places)!! The Coconut Cake is AMAZING and so are the short ribs and everything else that we tried. The menu has so many delicious options that i had a hard time choosing what to order. It is a beautiful place, amazing live music which I could not stop humming along too, extremely nice staff and all together just a great place for all ages. You can dine inside or outside and we chose the beautiful outdoor seating. This restaurant more than any other gives you a real Nevisian atmosphere. The artwork is all locally made and very beautiful. I would say DEFINITELY try this place if you are headed to Nevis. The owner was very sweet and personable and I cannot wait to go back again!

1  Thank scarletbagonia
Reviewed February 15, 2012

An adult's tree house! Great location if you can find it! Good food and great ambiance.
Nice owner. Must go.

Reviewed February 6, 2012

Awesome ambiance, you feel like you're on a movie set or in a treehouse. Very secluded. Waitstaff friendly and attentive. Decorated with cool art. Pretty neat crowd.

Very ambitious menu, fairly well executed. Interesting options on the menu though. Mediocre winelist.

Overall - I recommend this place!