“Fantastic tour with a GREAT GUIDE!”
Review of Greg's Safaris

Greg's Safaris
Ranked #1 of 43 things to do in Basseterre
More attraction details
Owner description: Greg was born and brought up on St. Kitts and Nevis and following his return home from College in Nova Scotia Canada in 1980, started working at his Parents hotel, the Ocean Terrace Inn, with one of his jobs being to do tours for the hotels guests. While growing up on St. Kitts, Greg's parents became leaders in the local Tourism Industry, starting one of the first hotels in the islands, with Greg's Dad, eventually receiving the "Order of the British Empire" (OBE), from the St. Kitts Government for his outstanding achievements in local Industry. This has given Greg a unique grounding as well as a deep sense of understanding for his home country and coupled with his tourism training abroad, has allowed him to become one of leading and longest serving tour guides in the Federation of St. Kitts and Nevis. Greg and his team of certified Tour Guides have won many awards from the Tourism Authority for their businesses high standards of service. From the very beginning Greg has used modified, 4X4 Land Rovers to do his "unique" island Safaris with. Being specially made, the 8 Land Rovers he uses today, are all open sided with mostly forward facing, stadium orientated seating, that provide his guests with the best way to experience exploring beyond the shores of St. Kitts and Nevis. Greg's Safaris is the only tour company in the Federation that uses 4X4 Land Rovers for touring on both islands! For your private, half days hiking pleasure, Greg has created two "unique looped hiking trails", one at the Phillips Mountain Valley (2 miles long), and at the other at the Wingfield River Valley (2 1/2 miles long), on St. Kitts. His company is also the only one on St. Kitts to offer driving tours from coast to coast through the lushly forested interior and while traveling through the mountains his guests would have access to a private 5 acre "mountain top property", perched1000 feet sea level, a place of cool temperatures and breathtaking views, that can only be experienced on a "one of kind" 4X4 Safari Tour with him and his guides. Greg is one of the founding members of the St. Christopher National Trust and as well, sits on the Central Forest Reserve National Park Committee. He is also a Life Member of the UNESCO World Heritage Site, The Brimstone Hill National Park and is also part owner of Sky Safaris, a company he started in 2009.
Crawfordville, Florida
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Fantastic tour with a GREAT GUIDE!”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

My husband and I and one other couple took the "Phillips rainforest 4x4 tour" with Greg's Safari's and had an amazing day with a fantastic guide. This was an "off-the-beaten-path" kind of an adventure. He picked us up at our cruise ship dock and then drove us in his converted safari vehicle to a special part of the rainforest where he has special permission to do tours. He gave us each a walking stick to use which was very handy to have during our tour. We saw many beautiful flowers and very thick rainforest vegetation. He took us up to a natural spring where we were allowed to cool off and rest before continuing the trek. We really enjoyed this tour and highly recommend it. Both couples were in our 60's and we had no difficulties with this tour though people with mobility issues might find it more than they could handle. This was exactly what we were looking for and Greg certainly delivered what he promised. We would love to do this tour again when the heliconias are in full bloom. They were past bloom in November but he tells us that earlier in the year when they are in full bloom that they attract hummingbirds and butterflies and we saw only butterflies in November. We also saw no monkeys but did see lots of evidence that they are there. There was also evidence of wild pigs as we saw footprints and rooting evidence. If you want a real rainforest adventure I highly recommend Greg's Safari's. :)

1 Thank MJN1968

• Finnish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Great Tour of a Beautiful Island”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

My husband and I took the "off the beaten path tour" and thoroughly enjoyed it. We were picked up at our hotel and driven to various places on the island, including an old plantation, historical church and through the rain forest. Guide was very knowledgeable and friendly. During the tour, we were offered rum punch and various local snacks, including fruit and pastries. We stopped at many places where the view was absolutely breathtaking. Note that there isn't a stop to use the restroom so make sure you go beforehand. Would recommend.

Menlo Park
“A true taste of the the island of Kitts”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I was planning an excursion through Carnival cruise line and I came across this one and let say that it was amazing, and maybe even the best excursion I have completed.

I had the pleasure of having Joseph, a native of Saint Kitts, be my guide. He was extremely knowledgeable about the island and about its history. He told us amazing details about the island like the countries usage of sugar cane, and how the government is doing with its issues. I was especially impressed with his knowledge about almost everything. Any question I asked him only took him a moment to answer. Questions like who was the first people to colonies on the island, how many people attempted to take it, and even a question about where the island gets its energy, Joseph knew them all. One other thing that made Joseph a great guide was that he would notice whenever someone was attempting to take a picture and slow down his driving to make sure that the person could get that shot, as a amateur in photography using a smart phone that simple favor made my pictures amazing.

In addition to Joseph service, Greg also took us around the rain forest showing us local plants and he showed us some amazing places to take pictures. When we stop by a beach to rest Greg even help us with usages like a shower or bathroom so that we were not totally stranded. If you do end of in St. Kitts with a cruise line or on vacation I would extremely recommended going with them

16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Highlight of our St Kitts trip”
Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

We signed up with Greg's Safaris because we wanted to take a hike with a top notch guide service. Burt took the two of us on a rain forest hike that ended up being so much more. He drove slowly to the mountains with a running commentary of history, delightful folks stories, and interesting facts. He made stops along the way to point out local merchants, the Romney Manor, landmarks, flora, and changes to the island. On our hike using sturdy walking sticks, we crossed a stream coming down from the mountain over and back again, and stopped to learn about the area and its ecology and water engineering. Burt asked if we were up for a challenging little part of the trek, and we agreed after he said we thought we could handle it. We then began climbing a steep cliffside holding on to secured ropes along the path, using our walking sticks for balance. Burt coached my every step, watching carefully to make sure I was safe and comfortable during this challenging adventure. We loved it! Burt was a sensitive and expert guide, who educated and coached us every step of the way. And the "snack" at the end was so perfect - delicious and unusual soursop fruit, fresh coconut, coconut bread, oranges and punch.
Next visit, we will definitely engage Greg's for another adventure - perhaps the longer and more strenuous volcano hike -- this company is one of the best in the industry.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Nancy J
San Diego, California
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Good way to see St. Kitts highlights”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

St. Kitts was my least favorite of the islands we visited, mostly because it was far hotter than the others and didn't seem to offer as much as far as sight seeing, but this excursion, offered by our Carnival Cruise, seemed interesting.

Overall I would say that for what there was to see on the island, and our tour guides, Burt and Shane, did a very good job. They were very friendly and told us a lot of fun facts about the island, and I enjoyed their friendly manner a lot.

I noticed some of the vehicles had normal seats but ours had bench style seats that faced inwards at each other. I didn't like this at all, as it involved a lot of uncomfortable cranking of the neck and twisting in the seats to see out. This was the main disappointing part of the tour as I was constantly fidgeting to try to see what the guide was talking about because the man sitting across from me was tall and blocked a lot of my view.

In the rainforest portion of the trip, the cruise ship wrote that we would be stopping at a mountain property for drinks. I thought we would be going inside of a building, sitting down, and drinking a drink with an opportunity to roam. What we actually did was park on a property (the land, not the house), and pour rum punch and stand around drinking it on a picnic bench. This was fine, I just wish the descriptor text from the cruise line was more accurate, as this was not what it implied at all. I wish there was a little more time to walk around the rainforest or hike a bit (we had really hoped for some birding but with everyone being loud with their punch and milling around, that wasn't happening), but it was more of a casual stroll.

The beach part of the excursion was very short (only an hour), which if you're going to be getting food at the cafe is not enough time to place your order, eat, get your check, rent snorkels and get some swim time in. Basically, swim or eat, or eat and wade but not snorkel. If you do eat, be sure to get the conch fritters, they were particularly good, I just wish they had a sauce that went with them that wasn't just bottled ranch dressing, but they tasted good on their own (sour cream base I think, pretty tart). Their rum punch is also very excellent. Don't be scared about the bits of nutmeg floating at the top, it adds to the flavor and is very tasty. Burt had mentioned at the beginning of the tour that there was a promotional deal on the conch fritters and rum punch as a combo for $10. When we told our waiter that we'd like that, he acted confused and said that there's no way we're getting that for $10. Uuuuuh... We told Burt and he was genuinely annoyed because they did strike up that deal with the restaurant and if they were going to change it, they should have told him, but nothing was done about it in the end. Didn't stop us from enjoying though.

The majority of the tour is drive time from beach to rainforest to beach again. I wish there was more time on either the rainforest end or the beach end of it, maybe extending the tour by a half an hour even, but it was still informative. I am really sad that the sugar industry has disappeared from St. Kitts, it's very clear that the island is impoverished due to this drastic change, but the people are very friendly.

Also, there were roadside stands of delicious looking fruit and sugar cane, I wish we could have stopped, but I understand that's not part of the tour.

This tour is good for people who just want to ride and be told about the island, not necessarily for those who would like to be more autonomous and explore on their own at the stops. You will have no real "hiking" time in the rainforest, so if you're looking for a purely rainforest tour, I would suggest doing research on something else, but this tour offered some good photo opportunities and views. For what St. Kitts has to offer, I feel this would be one of the more well rounded tours.

Visited October 2013