“Great hike!”
Review of Greg's Safaris

Greg's Safaris
Ranked #1 of 43 things to do in Basseterre
More attraction details
Owner description: Greg was born and brought up on St. Kitts and Nevis and following his return home from College in Nova Scotia Canada in 1980, started working at his Parents hotel, the Ocean Terrace Inn, with one of his jobs being to do tours for the hotels guests. While growing up on St. Kitts, Greg's parents became leaders in the local Tourism Industry, starting one of the first hotels in the islands, with Greg's Dad, eventually receiving the "Order of the British Empire" (OBE), from the St. Kitts Government for his outstanding achievements in local Industry. This has given Greg a unique grounding as well as a deep sense of understanding for his home country and coupled with his tourism training abroad, has allowed him to become one of leading and longest serving tour guides in the Federation of St. Kitts and Nevis. Greg and his team of certified Tour Guides have won many awards from the Tourism Authority for their businesses high standards of service. From the very beginning Greg has used modified, 4X4 Land Rovers to do his "unique" island Safaris with. Being specially made, the 8 Land Rovers he uses today, are all open sided with mostly forward facing, stadium orientated seating, that provide his guests with the best way to experience exploring beyond the shores of St. Kitts and Nevis. Greg's Safaris is the only tour company in the Federation that uses 4X4 Land Rovers for touring on both islands! For your private, half days hiking pleasure, Greg has created two "unique looped hiking trails", one at the Phillips Mountain Valley (2 miles long), and at the other at the Wingfield River Valley (2 1/2 miles long), on St. Kitts. His company is also the only one on St. Kitts to offer driving tours from coast to coast through the lushly forested interior and while traveling through the mountains his guests would have access to a private 5 acre "mountain top property", perched1000 feet sea level, a place of cool temperatures and breathtaking views, that can only be experienced on a "one of kind" 4X4 Safari Tour with him and his guides. Greg is one of the founding members of the St. Christopher National Trust and as well, sits on the Central Forest Reserve National Park Committee. He is also a Life Member of the UNESCO World Heritage Site, The Brimstone Hill National Park and is also part owner of Sky Safaris, a company he started in 2009.
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Our hiking experience was led by Greg himself. He can either pick you up at your hotel or else you can meet him at a central location. He takes you in a small 4 x 4 jeep through the back areas of the rain forest. You are then presented with your own walking stick (definitely helpful) and leads the way through the forest. He is a wealth of knowledge and we learned a lot on this hike. Greg has a lot of pride in his island and it definitely comes across in his presentation.

I will say that the hike is somewhat challenging and there are some areas that are quite steep and hard to climb. You have to be somewhat in shape to complete this hike but the pace is leisurely with lots of time for rest. Greg even provides very tasty snacks at the end of the hike.

I thoroughly enjoyed my hike with our small group of people. Definitely recommend this if you want to get some exercise learning from a wonderful very knowledgable tour guide.

1  Thank Ellynn B
Safarigreg, Owner at Greg's Safaris, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2013

Hello,
Thank you for your kind comments about my award wining tour company here on beautiful St. Kitts.
We are proud to be the only tour operator on the island that uses open aired 4X4 Land Rovers, some with stadium style seating that face forward, for your touring pleasure.
It is the best way to get to know St. Kitts, as you travel mostly "off the beaten path" with us on our all of our tours.
We always include return transportation from anywhere on St. Kitts with our tour cost and are also available for hire on a private, per hour basis at very reasonable rates.
I look forward to welcoming you back to our friendly shores one day soon.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

The half-day Phillips Rainforest Hike excursion presented by Greg's Safaris was one of the most rewarding and educational experiences I have experienced throughout the Caribbean Island chain. Weather you are a scientist, naturalist, ecological tour enthusiast or just one that loves to explore unique areas off the beaten path, this excursion is well worth the time, expense and effort. Greg exhibited an indepth knowledge of the rainforest flora/fauna, ecological habitats and plant associations together with describing the rich history of St. Kitts. The hiking trails were well groomed and easy to navigate. Besides detailed notes and numerous photos taken, one was left with a more indepth understanding and comprehension of this unique and fragile rainforest lying along the Atlantic side of St. Kitts. I highly recommend this tour to anyone who wants to have the opportunity to experience an educational and memorable understanding of St. Kitt's rainforest.

1  Thank douglas1Montrose

Hello,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your glowing comments about my half days guided excursion by modified 4X4 Land Rover that visits the Phillips Rainforest over on the Atlantic Coast of St. Kitts.
The Forest found on our hike here hosts the most diverse ecosystem on our island home with many hummingbirds, wild monkeys and much more.
The jewel in the crown of this walking tour experience is a spring fed stream, found flowing deep in the hart of this lush mountain valley.
Our jungle trails here on beautiful St. Kitts are free of pests year round, no mosquitoes, no snakes, no ticks or leaches, and remain comfortably cool in the forest shade as well.
A great place to explore on foot!
I look forward to exploring our island home once again with you in the not to distant future!
Greg Pereira
Owner and Manager of Greg's Safaris.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We discovered Greg's Safaris through positive reviews on Trip Advisor and I'm happy to add one more glowing review here. We were a party of three, including myself, my wife and my thirteen-year-old son. As it happened, Greg himself met us as our cruise port and took us on the most splendid, personalized tour of the island and the rain forest we could have hoped for. Our few hours felt like a wonderful, long day. We took the Phillips Rain Forest Hike, and Greg drove us to the trail head via a beautiful, scenic coastal road, then up into the foothills via back-roads through former cane fields and farms. The hike itself was exquisite, augmented by Greg's ready knowledge of the botany, history and geology of the land that was both passionate and worthy of an advanced degree. Above all, it was personal, and further, it was driven by a genuine, swelling pride in his beautiful, beautiful island. After the hike, we sat for a quiet while above fields and hills overlooking the Caribbean and enjoyed a simple, filling and perfect picnic of local breads, fruits, juice and rum. What I told Greg was this: We in the U.S. tend to idealize the Caribbean islands, but having visited a few, I have always been disappointed by the difference between my own visions and the sanitized, commercial, "touristy" reality that I've always found. Until now. Our tour with Greg brought us into contact with the real, true beauty of the islands that makes me realize that my "American dream" of the Caribbean really does have a counterpart in reality, and it's in St. Kitts. And, even better, none of this seems like cliche to Greg: He takes genuine pride in his home, as well he should. In a few hours we made a friend, who showed us a special, one-of-a-kind place, which is -- if you can't tell -- the highlight of our entire trip.

1  Thank 691JohnK691
Safarigreg, Owner at Greg's Safaris, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Hello,
Many thanks for letting the world know through TripAdvisor how truly special my all-inclusive 4X4 island Safaris really are!
I have created a very beautiful and private hiking trail at Phillips Rainforest where you can enjoy pest free trails for about two hours as you follow a giant loop through a high mountain valley and where you can sit and enjoy spectacular scenery and sounds overlooking the valley at a point along the trail as well as take a dip in a freshwater mountain spring fed stream.
Our island is home to a wide array of habitats due to our over 3000 foot mountain peaks, found in the interior, that act as a barrier to the moisture laden onshore breezes that come off of over 3000 miles of open ocean, such that our island receives over 150 inches of rain a year in the mountains but only about 45 inches on the coast.
Exploring these unique places would be our specialty and I look forward to having another chance to hike with you again on beautiful St. Kitts.
Owner and Manager of Greg's Safaris

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Overall wonderful experience. I have no other rainforest hike to compare it too, but I must say, this was a great trip. About a total of 2 mile hike with plenty of rest breaks on way up. Ascended about 1,000ft elevation. A very personal trip--small group experience of 10 or less. Guided by Greg who was very well immersed in knowledge of the ecology of the hike. Bug and pest free which was hard to believe but true. 50/50 time in sun versus shade. Yes, bring water and wear suitable shoes for a hike--sneakers ok. He hands out canes or walking sticks which you do need for good footing along the way. Walking path was not muddy, but mulch-like from fallen vegetation--my new sneakers still looked new when finished (but that's no guarantee of the next trip pending rain, etc.) Footing can be tricky for those not accustomed to "outdoorsy" kind of stuff. Suitable for anyone of average fitness. Could actually drink water from a natural spring at crest of hike. My kids loved it. Drink some fruit juice or rum mix afterwards. Eat some local fruits also--not a meal, just a mix of fruits and drinks. No bathrooms so plan accordingly--however suitable for most people who don't have a problem with nature calls in a rainforest. Well worth the trip--Thanks Greg!

Safarigreg, Owner at Greg's Safaris, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comprehensive review of my, one of a kind, award wining tour business here on beautiful St. Kitts where we use specially modified Land Rovers to do our tours with.
We have our own, specially designed, approximately two mile long, looped trail at Phillips Rainforest, about 1000 feet above sea level, to highlight the best of our islands pest free Jungle, on a hike that takes about two hours to complete and visits a freshwater spring along the way.
Our specially modified, and naturally air conditioned, open aired, 4X4 Land Rovers are the ideal way to explore the "off the beaten path" beauty of our island home and with the Phillips Rainforest hike you would also follow a looped dirt road up from the coastal highway to the trail head, offering you a good feel for the cultural traditions of our back country, where there are small farmers and quaint villages hidden from the coastal highway, as well.
I look forward to welcoming you back to our shores one day.
Owner and Manager of Gregs Safaris

Reviewed April 7, 2013

My husband and I scheduled a Phillips Rainforest hike with Greg via email for mid-March. His response was immediate and reservations were easy and casual-just meet him in front of the arrivals building at the port. Greg was there to greet us (and three other couples) and off we went-it's that simple. Rainforest hike was really beautiful and Greg's observations and thoughts set the perfect tone. The ride to and from our destination gave us a real sense of the island. This tour is not to be missed.

Hello,
Thank you very much for your kind posting about my packaged tour to the Phillips Rainforest here on beautiful St. Kitts where I have turned a hobby into a viable tour business over the last 25 years. The 4X4 off road drive to get to the Rain forest trails at Phillips mountain take our guests through intriguing hill farmers gardens and quaint island communities found in the back country where few tourists ever visit, giving our guests a fantastic feel for our cultural traditions and land use patterns.
I hope to welcome you back to our shores one day!