“Nice Beach!”

Carambola Beach Club
Ranked #8 of 60 Restaurants in Basseterre
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Enjoy lunch or dinner in our beautiful hacienda style restaurant, outdoors on our spacious terrace or on the golden sand of South Friar's Bay as your gaze at the Caribbean Sea. Savor one of our delicious cocktails or a bottle of wine from our collection. Five-star service awaits you at Carambola Beach Club.
Reviewed August 16, 2018 via mobile

Shipwreck is a ten minute walk from this place (see my review). We were hanging out at Shipwreck and did my jogging from Shipwreck to Carambola. Judging by their beach chairs, beach and restaurant, the place is more nicer than Shipwreck. However, beach chairs are $10 each and the food at their restaurant is much more expensive. The beach, however, is more beautiful. If you’re willing to spend money on beach chairs instead of using that for your lunch at Shipwreck, then stay here. It’s much nicer and you get what you paid for. I only passed by due to jogging and spoke with some of the tourists. Marriott Hotel offers free shuttle here. The $10 beach chair fee discouraged us. At least it’s not $20 like in St Martin (extortion!). Every beach in St Martin lounge chairs are not free!

Date of visit: August 2018
1  Thank ro1655

Reviewed August 12, 2018 via mobile

We went for the dinner. Awesome food and came back for a swim. The restaurant and staff sooo friendly. The sushi is awesome.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed August 9, 2018

Carombola has a great location right on the water with wonderful views. When we first ate at Carombola many years ago when it was new, the food was spectacular and so was the service. Over the years they have gone down hill big time. We ate there once last year and it was mediocre. This year, we arrived at 6PM and were the only people in the place. The sushi appetizers were fine and the best part of the meal. The medium rare filet mignon I was served was so tough I could not cut it. I told the waiter who conferred with the chef who told him it would be easier if I cut the steak at a different angle. That is a shameful explanation for a tough filet. No offer to make another steak. My wife had lobster tail, which she said was tough and was overcooked. When we left at about 7:30 there were only two or three other tables. Carombola has the potential to be great; it needs a complete overhaul of food and staff to do it.

Date of visit: May 2018
3  Thank Jeff J
Reviewed August 5, 2018

I purposefully chose Carambola Beach Club in order to be assured that by making reservations for our party of seven we would be able to sit together and spend a relaxing beach day. We were on the Harmony of the Seas so we knew St. Kitts would be crowded. We did not want to chance a beach with open seating. Well, upon arriving at Carambola for check-in, there were people everywhere... huge lines of people. When we finally got to check-in I said I had reservations for seven. I was told no need... I do not need to have reservations. What??? I asked, "So anyone can walk up and grab beach chairs??" Yup! They did not even have a reservations list to check... Well, we paid our $10 per chair and umbrella and were told a beach attendant would seat us. We went outside and stood.... and stood....thinking there was a system for getting seated. Nope! People everywhere... 2 attendants helping dozens of people find chairs... Finally after standing there for over 15 minutes we were able to secure an attendant to help. When I told him we were a party of seven he just froze....the poor guy was completely frazzled since there were no spots available (And we got there at 10 AM)
There was a roped-off area with dozens of open lounge chairs. I was told these were reserved for a party of 50 people. I asked if we could sit in this area-since we had reservations too- but was told no-it was for a large group. We were finally put in three random areas in the far, far back corner of the beach. We could not even sit near each other. About 30 minutes later, I saw a manager come out and take down the roped off area- opening the "reserved" spot of 50 chairs . When I asked why the area was now being opened I was told there was a mix-up with the large group and that space was not needed. Needless to say, anyone arriving mid-day, with no reservations were able to grab up these prime spot chairs.
A few more important points. While I cannot comment on the food, I do know that the wait for a simple pizza was over 1 hour.
Also, the bathrooms were a serious health hazard. The toilets were leaking all over the place - as soon as a toilet was flushed, dirty water gushed from under the toilet. A bathroom attendant was standing poised in the bathroom entering each stall and mopping the floor after each person exited.
We chose this beach resort due to the positive reviews on Tripadvisor. I am surprised at what a drastically different experience we had.
Maybe on a slow day it is less chaotic and relaxing ??? I will never know because I will never go back.

Date of visit: July 2018
4  Thank Lu104
Reviewed July 29, 2018 via mobile

Pleasantly surprised when our taxi driver Gregory recommended and brought us to this gem! Beautiful beach, clean bathroom, great drinks and service! Loved, loved, loved it!!!!

Date of visit: July 2018