“Volcano Hike with Al”

Chicago, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Volcano Hike with Al”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We signed up for the volcano hike on St. Kitts with David. He was very prompt in responding to inquiry emails and assured us that there would be enough time to complete the hike in the time that our ship was docked (Carnival Valor). David was easy to find as we disembarked and introduced us to our guide, Al. There were only the two of us doing the hike through Poinciana that day. As noted by others, the hike was very difficult but utterly worth it. My husband and I have very little experience hiking but we managed just fine with Al. The first half of the hike is fairly easy but as you get closer to the top, it becomes much more strenuous. Al was wonderful (and patient) in guiding us through the more difficult bits. He is very well informed about the area and the trail, in particular, as he's been doing it since he was 9. Just a great experience, and the guava juice at the top was one of the best things I've ever tasted.

Visited April 2013
2 Thank sonyasac

Locke, New York
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“"Get ready!"”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

My husband and I, ages 46 and 51, completed the volcano hike while on a cruise to the Southern Caribbean. We met our guide according to the directions that were emailed. A couple from another cruise came about 1/2 hour later, and we headed for the hike. Our guide was cheerful and shared lots of interesting information both while on the road and while hiking. Our guide set a very quick pace which worked until the other couple struggled with that speed. The young lady chose not to continue, and a fellow guide led her back down the mountain.
The young man stuck it out and personally I was glad he set a slower pace! The breaks our guide gave us to let him catch up were greatly appreciated! The trees are really cool and the cover kept the temperature comfortable. Reaching the top made the whole trip worth it. The views are spectacular! After a chance to take in the scenery and a snack, the trip back down commenced. We ended up meeting up with another group on the way down. They were fun and our guide entertained the bigger group. Overall my husband and I really enjoyed the trip! Two quick hints...If there has been recent rain, don't wear cute sneakers or clothes. They will be trashed! Take the offered walking sticks and water. They are both valuable.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank edhelper
Charlotte, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“A "must-do" tour in St. Kitts. Love with this Place! David Swanston is the BEST guide for the rainforest and volcano!”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

When my husband and I go on vacation, we do not like to do things with "groups". Instead, we prefer to mingle with the locals and get a real taste of the places we are visiting.

When we learned that David Swanston could give us a PERSONAL and PRIVATE tour of the rainforest in St. Kitts, we were excited. David picked us up at the Marriott on time. On the way to the entrance of the rainforest, he gave us a lot of local information about restaurants, places to shop, etc.
I asked David if he had ever gotten "lost" in the rainforest. His answer was, "well, no, it is my back yard". What I did not know at first, is that he was literally telling the truth! When we arrived at the entrance, we discovered that this is where he literally grew up.

At the entrance, you immediately get a sense of the local way of life and a true history lesson. David's dog, "Brownie" joined us and led us through lush foliage, huge trees, waterfalls, etc. David is also a botanical genius of sorts. He told us about the different types of plants and how each of them have healing powers. I told him that I have insomnia. He picked some leaves from a tree and instructed me to make some tea from them. That very night, I made the tea. I slept great and felt refreshed in the morning.

In the rainforest, we saw monkeys, mongoose, and goats. There were no mosquitos at all. The temperature was cool and it was very shaded. David says there are no snakes in the rainforest.

Our trip lasted 4 hours. At the end, we enjoyed some "Ting" (refreshing beverage). David drove us back to the hotel. We were sad to leave.

David also gives tours of the volcano. When we return, we will use David Swanston as our guide and hope to tour the volcano next time.

Thank you Poinsiana Safari Tours!!! We love you guys!!!

3 Thank Guitarwoman
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Highlight of our trip”
Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I did the volcano hike with David. As a number of other reviews note it is strenuous but worth doing. David was wonderful. There were 8 people total on the hike with different fitness/skill levels. David was pleasant, informative, patient with those that needed a little more help, but good about keeping us on pace. It was a great experience!

1 Thank 2Iowans
Boston, Massachusetts
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Volcano hike; not for the faint of heart”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

My husband and I took a cruise to the Southern Caribbean and St. Kitts was one of our ports. I researched activities to do in St. Kitts and this one has great reviews. It was tough, but worth every minute!

We found our guide Al as we exited the cruise terminal. He was a great guide, quiet, but helped and encouraged us along. My husband and I are in our late 20's and we were hiking with another family of 4. (The mom and dad were early 50's and kids were college age). We stopped frequently for breaks, and we ALL made it to the top! It is a tough climb, but again, so worth it. The views are incredible. It was about 2.5 hrs up and the same coming down. Al provided us with water and hiking sticks (which are a huge help in the beginning, but towards the top, you are actually scrambling up steep boulders), and gave us juice and coconut bread at the summit. We had a fantastic time and my legs are still sore...(5 days later!) For $70/person, it was an incredible workout, and a great way to spend the day in St. Kitts.

1 Thank TexanInBeantown