I am writing this from our studio room with the most incredible view here at Bird Rock Beach. This is our first visit to the Caribbean in the fall and we are very surprised how few tourists there are. Actually, I believe we are the only ones here at the hotel. The weather has been fantastic!!
Upon our arrival, I was disappointed in the conditions of the hotel and our room. There were a few minor maintenance issues that were handled for us. The hotel could definitely use a fresh coat of paint everywhere. The grounds are very lush and tropical, so that does make up for a lot. Then we met Ken (Captain Crabby) who heads up the dive operations and he gave us a tour of how Hurricane Earl really did a lot of damage to the property and completely took out the beach. Hopefully by the high season, the hotel, Rocky's Bar, and the beach will be back to normal.
After the first night in a very comfortable bed and waking to a beautiful view from the balcony, I was much more acclimated to the hotel. The staff is friendly and are more than willing to do anything to make you feel welcome.
My husband did four days of diving and a night dive with Captain Crabby, Neil and Elvis (the Divemasters) and had a very good time and some terrific diving which was very much up to the Caribbean standards of marine life and visibility.
We have a rental car for the week and have been touring all over the island and aim to get to every beach. The beaches were deserted and lovely - all were different. Everywhere we went, the people were friendly and smiling. We have also been surprised that the cost for groceries and eating out has been reasonable. The divemasters have given us some terrific local restaurant recommendations. The Ackee Cafe for Friday night Jerk Night was the best meal so far.
We still have more sightseeing to do and are looking forward to a day trip to Nevis. We went to the Marriott last night to look around and it was more like walking into a Vegas mega hotel. The pool was lovely, but their beach huts were just hideous. There was not much there that had the friendly local cultural touch like the Bird Rock Hotel.
If we return to St. Kitts some day, I can't imagine we would stay anywhere else. If you plan to come here soon, hopefully, everything will be back to normal from the hurricane damage. We were able to book this room at a very low price from Travelocity and I feel we really picked up on a bargain. We always look for a place with kitchen facilities so we can have lunch and grab cold beverages whenever we want. The Bird Rock met all of our requirements for a good stay - great location, wonderful staff, kitchen, nice pool. Dive Shop and a very comfortable bed. Another great plus is the WI-FI!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in a secluded cove overlooking the Caribbean Sea, Bird Rock Beach Hotel captivates you with its tranquil setting and its warm hospitality. Guests have access to a wide variety of water based activities including swimming, kayaking, snorkeling and scuba diving. There are three restaurants including Rocky’s Beach Bar & Grill. The hotel’s 46 air-conditioned rooms are tastefully furnished and include a king-size bed or two queen-size beds, full bathrooms, cable TV, and private balconies with spectacular views of the Caribbean Sea. Kids 11 and under say free when sharing with adults. Dive St Kitts, the island’s premier dive operation, is located at the base of the hotel. The private harbor shelters the 32' twin 200HP monohull and is perfectly located on one of the best, easy access, shore dives on the Caribbean side of St Kitts. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Bird Rock Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bird Rock Beach Resort
- Bird Rock Beach Basseterre
- Bird Rock Beach Hotel St. Kitts/Basseterre