“Nice and convenient!!”

Bird Rock Beach Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Basseterre
“Nice and convenient!!”
Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is very quiet, and is the ideal place to rest and stay away from crowds and noise. Great food in the restaurant, and the staff is very friendly. The beach is secluded and pretty quiet. Ideal for families. Nice dive shop as well. A very good option for a nice price.

Stayed June 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed June 12, 2014

This place is barely a hotel. Yes you get your own room. You might get hot water in that room. You're not sharing with back packers, but it's barely worth to call this place a hotel. There is a nice view of the downtown, and the sunset, but the only reason to travel here is for the diving.

The diving is a bit off the beaten track and staff are pretty good. We can all bash PADI (put another dollar in) all we want, but the staff people that PADI creates do a good job at building a safe and enjoyable dive experience.

Too bad there is no PADI school for wannabe hotel operators.

We had a room with a kitchenette, and that worked out just fine.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Basseterre hotels

St. Kitts
Reviewed June 5, 2014

The staff are friendly, the rooms are clean, it over look the harbor of Basseterre.
And there is a old saying ! ! you get what you pay for. however some time when sounds too good be true, think twice .

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank St_KittsAnnie
Rio Verde, Arizona, United States
Reviewed May 28, 2014

2nd stay here (1st Aug 2012). Stayed again due to very budget friendly price and expected view. The good: View of sea from balcony, very nice, in spite of the ongoing demolition/construction. Kitchenette was nice; we didn't eat out often, and enjoyed having our own nice cold beer (picked up at the distributer makes it a bargain). Room was clean, and staff was really nice. Sam a maintenance guy (who also worked on our hot water), even picked and opened a coconut for me, so I could enjoy fresh coconut water. AC unit was brand new and a big upgrade from our 2012 stay. Nice flat screen TV, but very few channels (didn’t matter as we spent a lot of time outside on the balcony). Free in-room Wi-Fi was excellent and very fast (compared to that of students living on island).

The excellent: Dive St. Kitts the on-site dive operation is wonderful. In 2012 we dove with Tony, this time was with Danny. Both are excellent, ensuring divers have a safe and awesome time. Dive boat captain, Captain Crabby is well, a really caring crab, he watches over to ensure all divers and dive masters are safe. I wouldn’t dive with anyone else on the island. I also appreciate their efforts to remove invasive lion fish. Also, nice snorkeling on reef and rocks in hotel area.

Bird Rock is kind-of centrally located, so it is relatively close to Port Zante, a bit further to Marriott, Shipwreck, Cockleshell and other beaches. A longer drive out to Brimstone Fort and Romney Manor/Caribelle Batik.

The not so good: The condition of the rooms was generally fair. Also, when we booked a few months in advance, we were unaware of construction plans. Gone is Rocky's Beach Bar, to be replaced by "fine dining". Divers kind of liked hanging out at Rocky’s after returning from diving, but that is no longer an option.

The bed was okay, as were other furnishings. The walls are this, loud neighbors a couple of nights made sleeping a challenge. Ceiling fan was loud enough it helped mask the neighbor sounds. If you rent a car, be aware that parking is extremely limited, often no place for guests to park, except in grassy area across the street.

Restaurants are fair. Breakfast average price and quality. Lunch served in different space, but same kitchen (great Captain Crabby burger). Dinner menu at restaurant limited, ask for Rocky's menu if you want a simpler fare.

Hot water often only warm, hot showers not always available, at first due to part being out (couldn’t replace it for a few days). Front desk did offer to change our room, but offered room had view of pool and pool “bar” not the ocean. We said no thanks, but they did give us a key to a vacant room that had hotter water.

Owner did speak with us about our concerns; he knew our names, and that we were repeat customers. He seemed genuinely interested in hearing from us, and made us feel like he wanted us to return in the future. He also shared his ideas with us.

The really bad: The pillows were horrible. A pile of granite stuffed in a pillow case would have been more comfortable. We rolled up towels and put them in the pillow cases, instead of the pillows.

Construction made it difficult to access beach at hotel.

A side note: Owner evidently planning on many changes: moving the breakwater rocks out a 100-150ft, to build a big artificial beach (so much for the local reef?), adding a dolphin - people encounter (I’m not clear on the location, but sounds like will not be built in ocean (some may want it; none we talked to do), adding fine dining restaurant (he hopes this will be done before October/November 2014). My opinion is there is plenty of “fine dining” on the island, and I’d prefer Rocky’s.

Would we stay there again? Probably, but only if the room stays bargain priced; can't beat the views (we checked at Timothy’s Beach Resort (no sea view) and Marriott (not really sea views from the rooms, but beautiful property and beaches). An added plus, is although signs say otherwise, Marriott didn’t mind us enjoying their beach amenities (cabanas, chaise lounges, etc.) for free; however, we did purchase food and drink there, and it was off-season. Saw lots of sea turtles (juvenile green sea turtles, enjoying the sea grass at the Mariott).

Room Tip: Rooms in groups 200 or 300 have best views, and seemed more recently upgraded.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Sherry C
Quebec, Canada
Reviewed May 19, 2014

When it sounds too good to be true, be careful !
Take Bird Rock Beach Hotel for example, they advertised three restaurants but it is not mentioned that all meals come from the same kitchen, all restaurants are not open at the same time and one of them is just a remote serving area closer to the beach (beach which has a very rocky bottom filled with sea urchins, feet protection recommended).
The swim up bar is physically built but there was no alcohol on the shelves nor was there any bartender to serve at that bar for the 14 days we were there.
Wi-fi was advertised as "high speed available everywhere" but was nonexistent at the pool and very difficult to get at the restaurant.
I shouldn't complain too much, we booked for a regular non smoking room and we got a room with kitchenette (including a nice cigarette smell at no extra charge).
Although it would have been nice to have a working air conditioner with that, we only had to change rooms twice during our stay because the unit was defective...two times within 4 days.
One thing that bothered me though was the sound of a television of a neighbour and the heavy snoring of the other neighbour traveling through the unsealed communicating doors, which were on both sides of the room next to the bed.
Our plumbing was working fine even if the faucets were a little noisy, but our upstairs neighbour was not so lucky, she had to change rooms to get hot water.
Did anyone read about the transportation accommodations from the hotel to anywhere on the island ? Not surprising, it's not mentioned anywhere but you have to pay a taxi ride (about $15US to go and $15 US to come back) every time you decide to eat out or do any activities but it didn't bother us too much, we loved the 45 minute walk to town, it was just a little adventurous knowing that there are no sidewalks in this part of town.
On a brighter note, I really loved the dive centre, the staff was very professional and attentive, the equipment and the boat were up to date and in perfect working condition. The staff took good care of my gear and kept it on the premises during our stay. If I had to rate this place based on the dive centre, it would get 5 stars.
Unfortunately, I have to look at the overall experience.
I even tried to get in touch with the owner (who is also the manager) while we were there, I had written a full page of low cost improvements for him but he never contacted us, in fact we never saw him at all while we stayed there.
Maintenance was neglected around and inside the hotel, the reception and the restaurant were closed when we arrived at 9 PM, the windows didn't open and even if they did, the screens were broken and the safety door locks were non functional. We had a room facing the ocean with a regular steel door and a tiny window but the adjacent rooms had extremely noisy sliding doors when opening and closing and were waking up the neighbours.
Regarding the front office, the staff was very helpful and efficient for the hotel matters but when it came to restaurants or outings, we had the impression that they were instructed not to suggest anything.
This review might sound bad as it is but remember that not everybody is looking for a five star hotel and the price is right for what you get at Bird Rock Beach Hotel. You just need to be aware that this is a remote place, away from the town and you need to pay a taxi ride for every outing, don’t expect a great beach and eatery is limited.
I personally can put up with everything that I mentioned in this review but not everyone can and if I had known all this ahead of time, I might have chosen to stay somewhere else closer to town and I would have traveled (free pick up anywhere) to come diving.

Room Tip: Ask for a recently renovated room. Advise reception if your flight will arrive later than 9 PM to ar...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Luc B
Midland, Texas
Reviewed April 29, 2014

My wife and I stayed here a little more than a week over Christmas week. I will say first off that I booked Bird Rock Beach Hotel because it was budget friendly. Not long after my wife and I arrived, we began to notice some things very badly needing improvement. Everything in the room was very outdated and some things needed repair. The shutters were all broken and the patio door was very difficult to slide open/closed and fell off the tracks very easily. The bed was not comfortable at all and the air conditioner did not work very well. We noticed that it froze over the first night we were there, so we turned it off during the day and only used it at night, but it continued to freeze over. We notified the front desk about the issue, but the problem was never fixed. Also, getting a hold of the front desk was difficult the first few days, because the instructions in the room had us calling the wrong extension.
Another one of the reasons why I booked at the Bird Rock Beach Hotel was because their website boasted 3 on site restaurants. Since my wife and I were not planning on renting a car, having 3 restaurants on site was very appealing. Little did we know that the hotel only had 1 operating kitchen, and 3 dining locations (1 of which was closed for some reason). The breakfast was wonderful, with a fair amount of choices, and moderately priced for the island. We usually saw the hotel owner and some of his friends there as well, chatting about business. Lunch was served down on the beach, and the menu was less impressive. It consisted of a few burgers, fries, wings, a few sandwiches, and what was supposed to be tacos (don’t do it). I think the only thing worth eating was the Captain Crabby Burger, the Chicken Sandwich and maybe the wings. Dinner was very sad. The prices of food were on par with the rest of the island, but the quality of food was not. There were usually 3 meat choices with the same vegetables. A few days into the trip, we found out you could get items from the lunch menu as well.
Another downside is that the walls between rooms are apparently very thin. We could hear our neighbor’s conversations clearly. We could literally hear almost everything our neighbors did. Even the sound of washing dishes came through loud and clear. What put us over the edge is that we could smell their cigarettes every time they lit up. We complained at the front office, so they had the house keeper do something that helped, but only when she remembered to do it. We were given the option to change rooms, but at that point we only had a few days left in our trip so it wasn’t really worth the hassle of moving all of our stuff. At least they offered. I just wish we would have known there’s no distinction between smoking and non-smoking rooms. Next time I know to ask ahead of time.
During the trip, we did notice a lot of work being done to the hotel. It was clear that some rooms had recently been upgraded. I know this because we made a friend that stays there a few times a year, and his room had a working A/C and a nice flat screen TV. Whether or not his bed had been upgraded, I can’t say. My complaint here is that my wife and I booked our trip over 3 months in advance. We knew from the offer to change rooms that they had more rooms available. Needless to say, I was upset about getting a dilapidated room when better rooms were available.
If you’re looking for a place to sleep, Bird Rock Beach Hotel will do. Having spent so much time, effort and money on booking a vacation that I had great expectations for, I was a little disappointed to have come back with a list of regrets and wishes. I would encourage the management to take a look at what they claim to offer versus what is actually offered. I can’t tell you how much I was looking forward to the swim up bar, and how disappointed I was to find out it had not been in operation for years because there’s simply not enough patrons to justify the staff. On a positive note, I will say though that Dean makes the best Piña Colada on the planet, and the staff at the hotel is very friendly and personable. They helped us book excursions and taxis, which was nice. The views from the rooms are all gorgeous, and being walking distance to the calmer Caribbean side of the island was wonderful. We spent a lot of time floating in their little cove, gazing toward the peninsula and Nevis in the distance. That part of our vacation is very memorable and my wife and I will always think fondly it. If we do return to St. Kitts and Nevis, I’m not sure whether or not we will stay at the Bird Rock Beach Hotel. If we do I’ll definitely book a room with a kitchenette. I’ll just check the reviews again when that time comes and find out if any of the room blocks are non-smoking.

Room Tip: Ask for non smoking rooms if you don't smoke. If you smoke, please do it outside.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shawn P
Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

The facility is very outdated. We saw roaches in the bathroom shortly after arriving. We thought it would be a good place to stay for one night to catch an early flight but now we regret it. The staff is very nice but the amenities are cheap and seem dirty.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Johanna P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Basseterre
Sugar Bay Club
#2 of 4 in Frigate Bay
Royal St. Kitts Hotel
Royal St. Kitts Hotel
#3 of 4 in Frigate Bay

Been to Bird Rock Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!