“Great Landmark”

$55.00*
Full Island Panoramic Tour of St Kitts
Ranked #3 of 43 things to do in Basseterre
More attraction details
Owner description: This old plantation estate houses the Caribelle Batik works. You can watch colorful, tie-dye clothes being made.
Forsyth, Georgia
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Great Landmark”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Great visit to Thomas Jefferson's great, great, great grand father's house! Now a museum and home of the ladies of Batik!

Watching the teadious process of paint, wax, boiling and drying to produce these beautiful scenes and clothing was amazing! We had to buy one to take home!

Don't miss!

Enterprise, Alabama
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Beautiful Gardens!”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We went here as part of our excursion tour from RCCL. The grounds are beautiful but when we were there it was packed with other tourists. I was looking forward to the Batik Factory and shop. I love to buy local crafts and this was the jackpot. The only downside was that it was so crowded and we were only given 30 minutes here. I would have liked an hour. Would visit again. Hopefully it will have less people!

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
83 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 113 helpful votes
“Beautiful Grounds”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

The grounds at Romney Manor are a tropical paradise. Our tour guide, from Tangerine Tours, pointed out many of the plants. He then took us into the Batik room and explained the process. There are many beautiful things to purchase. He gave us the history of the place and explained its connection to Thomas Jefferson's ancestors. If he had not been with us, I do not know if we would have received as much information.
No admission is charged.

Kenyon, Minnesota
88 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 93 helpful votes
“Beautiful,Beautiful!!!”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We took this tour from our cruise line and it was with the Brimstone Fortress. It was my favorite tour!! As others have said, the drive to the Romney Monor is interesting with lovely scenic views as you go up the hill. Once you get there, all I can say is WHOA!! The grounds, trees and flowers are simply beautiful. This was the greatest amount of flowers we saw anywhere on the islands. I could have stayed longer, as it was, I was the last back on our bus. Sorry people, but it was hard to leave. I really enjoyed seeing how the Batik fabric is made. The artists are wonderful to watch. This is a very old, time comsuming process. Each color is painted on the fabric, one at a time, wax is applied to the still white parts and then the wax is boiled off. This is done with each new color added. The history of the grounds was very interesting also. All in all, a terrific stop. Note: I also visited the Batik site at St. Lucia and enjoyed that also, but if you can only visit one, make this the one you choose.

52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Pretty garden great shopping.”
Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

I love botanical gardens and the grounds here are very well kept and have lots of great places to take photos but keep in mind it is rather small. The batik shop is chock full of beautiful very well priced items. Best souvenirs i bought on our whole cruise. This place i would definately visit again.