“A Very Different Tour!”

$90.00*
St Kitts 360 Island Sightseeing Tour
Ranked #4 of 43 things to do in Basseterre
Reviewed April 27, 2013

It can be a bit noisy, but this is the best way to take in St. Kitts in one sitting. Perfect for cruise ship passengers!

Reviewed April 19, 2013

My husband and I have been to this beach two times while docking in St Kitts. We hail a taxi ourselves at the cruise dock and the ride to the beach does cost approximatley 30.00 total and the ride is 25-30 minutes. I would recommend getting there early as the beach fills quickly. This is the beach to find some unique shells . For approximaltey $15.00 you get two beach lounge chairs and an umbrella. The beach has a bar, bathroom and changing area and you can be waited on at your lounge chair. Does not have many peddlers, but a few. This is the perfect beach if you are looking to relax and get a great view of St Kitts on your ride to the beach.

1  Thank Beth V
Reviewed April 16, 2013

My wife and I visited recently when our ship (Celebrity Equinox) docked at St. Kitts. I had originally planned to visit Frigate Bay but was told at the dock that it was a black sand beach. In hindsight, I should have known better after doing some research before the trip. But, I fell into the trap of being steered to Cockleshell by one of the workers at a "tourist information kiosk" at the port. I suspect she has some financial motive in steering tourists there as there were several proprietors charging for chair rentals, drinks and monkey pictures.

The ride to the beach was very scenic and took about 40 minutes. The closer we got, the worse the road conditions became. I was initially quite disappointed when we arrived as the beach didn't have that WOW factor. But the longer we stayed, the more we began to appreciate the views of Nevis. The water was clear and we took a long walk to the right hand side around the bend, stumbling upon a private beach. The only downside is that we didn't feel safe being so isolated and there was quite a bit of litter in the area.

I drove past what I believe to be far superior beaches to spend an average day on this one. I wouldn't recommend. I wouldn't necessarily consider it "poor" -- unless I compare it to other Caribbean beaches and to me it was "below average". By that standard, I'm generous giving it an "average" rating but just couldn't tag it "poor". Regardless of the rating, you can do better than Cockleshell on St Kitts.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

St. Kitts was our second stop on our cruise - this was a great beach. Took about 20 minutes from the port to the beach. There were a lot of people on the beach, lots of umbrellas, chairs, activity! But it was really nice! Very relaxing! Ate lunch at the Reggae Beach Bar & Grille - good food - friendly!

1  Thank mjscott1969
Reviewed April 9, 2013

First of all, St. Kitts is a beautiful island. The cab ride to Cockeshell was amazing, great views of the resorts and golf course. Stopped at an overlook on the way. Guy had a green monkey on a leash trying to get people to get pictures. We knew he would be asking for money because we have been all over the Caribbean and understand how things work but we decided to do it anyway because the monkey was soooo cute. My wife and daughter got pictures holding the monkey and sitting on their head. He then said it was $5 a person. Since we never discussed that there would be a charge, we gave him $2. He didn't protest too much. The roads are in need of substantial repair, making a 20 minute drive about 35 minutes because of slowing down a lot to avoid pot holes. The cab ride from the cruise terminal was $7 per person each way although we paid $28 on the way back because we wanted to go earlier than most and there were only 3 of us in the cab (van). Probably could have gotten him down to $21 but thought it was fair to him to give him more because the cabs hold 8 people.

The beach itself, (sand), was average, had a lot of shells on it. The view from the beach were amazing. Nevis sits right off the coast of where cockleshell Beach is located. The water was colorful and perfect temperature. At one end of the beach where most of the people were located there was a little seaweed on the beach. At the other end, there was a ton of seaweed sitting in piles on the beach. The beach was big enough to handle the amount of people who were there.

There was plenty to do. You could rent a jet ski, paddle board, paddle boat, kayak. They had umbrellas and chairs for rent although we chose to sit in the sun. There were several people renting these items so it is a good idea to ask because the prices vary. They have a bar and place to get food. There are also people selling drinks along the beach. I wanted a beer so I went to the bar and paid $4 only to find out 2 other people selling beverages out of a cooler, and they were only charging $2 for the beer. Live and learn. The beer was good (Piton).

The reason I only gave 3 stars to this each was the massive amount of garbage behind the beach in the grassy areas. It was pitiful. I went for a walk and saw all kinds of trash laying around. It is like instead of trash cans, they use the grass and trees as a landfill. I saw one of the people who had a rental stand on the beach come out of the back of the shed and throw a plastic bag and another bag in the trees behind the beach. It was disheartening to see such a beautiful place being treated like a landfill. I intend to email the tourism board and advise them they better get the beach cleaned up or they will lose tourists. I would give it 4 stars if the trash was cleaned up.

2  Thank DannyG22