“Delectable food.....gracious owners....servers need some RedBull :-)”
Review of ciao

ciao
Ranked #8 of 41 Restaurants in Basseterre
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Winnipeg, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delectable food.....gracious owners....servers need some RedBull :-)”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We showed up with a group of 16, and were graciously accommodated - seating moved around to fit our group. The owner and her husband were absolutely delightful, and the food was delectable!! The servers were excrutiatingly slow, and the owner ended up doing most of the order taking as well as serving. If you resign yourself to the fact that "island time" is positively snail like....you can begin to enjoy. Was the best gnocchi I have had, and I've been to some incredible Italian restaraunts. The husband (co-owner), created a yummy dessert for the kids that was to die for. Had it not been for the owners being incredibly gracious - this would have been a huge disappointment. I would make this a "must-do" on your visit - just hope that the owners are present or else you'll walk away disappointed.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank LGershman

“Empty tummy, empty wallet!”
Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

First gastronomic experience on the island and a bit of a let down. The waitstaff was pleasant enough but the lack of value in the meal was a real bummer. We ordered pumpkin ravioli which was quite the artistic presentation. The raviolis resembled lilly pads floating on a pond. Cool, eh? Well, no, not really. The pond was a sea of melted butter. Now I do love my butter but it was the main ingredient in this dish and for the price, I honestly expected a heaping portion of ravioli. The price was way off what it should be for food of that quality and quantity.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Jessisap
New York City, New York
“Insulting!”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Walked right in, no reservations needed gee, I wonder why? Hostess was pleasant, actually gave me 2 slices of lemon with water!! Ordered Lobster Bisque soup -was not even close to lobster bisque, It was brownish water with absolutely no flavor at all. The 3 toast points were the highlight of that disaster. Husband ordered a house salad with oil and vinegar. They brought the oil and vinegar, but had already dressed it with some other dressing - not sure what it was. I ordered shrimp cocktail for my meal; It was Good Friday. There were 5, obviously previously frozen, shrimp that they dunked in boiling water and threw some cocktail sauce in the middle, they were still HOT. When I asked the waitress about them she said, "Oh, you don't like them warm?" I asked her to wrap them to take home. The tuna, which was to be served with a baked potato, came with roasted potatoes. They were heated up in a microwave- they looked crispy around the edges but were mushy.
The owner offered to buy us a glass of wine, thanks but we really had enough!

• Visited March 2013
Kingston, Saint Andrew, Jamaica
“Nothing Excites”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I went ehre once in search of an italian experience, this place does not do Italy or their food justice. First the food is just too standard and it lacks the flavour and excitement. Also I am not paying that level of money when I can stay in my hotel and eat at the Italian restaurant there for the same price.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Maureen W
Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Taste of Food - Italian style”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

my co-workers and I had our christmas dinner at Ciao. The menu gave a wow experience - tasty but not sugary (caribbean flavour) I liked the1/2 lobster termidor but I disliked the lobster avocado salad. The absence of music made the evening a little dull.

Visited December 2012