“Great Guide in St. Kitts”
Review of Royston Tours

Royston Tours
Ranked #14 of 62 Tours in St. Kitts
Reviewed February 7, 2011

We (wife, 8 yr old son, 7 yr old daughter, & elderly parents) toured with Royston (www.roystontours.com) while in port in St. Kitts on 1/30/2011 and I would highly recommend him. Since getting my family in gear and off the ship proves challenging at every port, I had arranged a 9:30 meeting time and Royston was there as promised. We had no set itinerary and we just stopped at various points of interest along the way for as long or short as we wanted. The day was ours to do what we wanted with Royston providing history and comment all along the way while joyfully fielding any and all questions we had. Specifics others may find useful:

Cost: Since I wasn’t sure who in my family (8 of us were on the cruise) would be joining us when I first made my arrangements with Royston, he quoted a price of $40 each for the adults and $30 for the kids if it was just going to be my wife and two kids ($140 total) and $25 for adults and $20 for the kids if it was going to be the full eight ($190 total) for a 9:30-4:30 tour. It ended up being four adults and two children. While we never formally agreed to any price for 6 beforehand, I figured it fall between the quoted $140-$190. When the tour ended, Royston asked for $40 for each adult with the children being free ($160 total). Included in the price, Royston provides a full cooler of refreshments (water, soda, juices, and Carib beer). By days end, my wife and I did a good job of relieving Royston of all the Caribs! As it was Sunday, Royston did not provide his normal fare of roti. However, he did have some local banana bread, another “pudding”, and a few bags of chips for my kids. Not having the roti was not a big deal to us as I had told him beforehand we would like to hit a beach bar for lunch (which we did at the Reggae Beach Bar & Grill at Cockleshell Bay…and at which we asked a very hesitant Royston to join us as our treat!). Royston also takes care of the admission costs to the Brimstone Hill Fortress.

Van: Royston’s blue Toyota van (see a few pics on website), complete with cracked windshield, is not a thing of beauty and the leg room between some of the back rows of seats is rather tight. However, being semi-adventurous, it was actually a draw for me after reading some posts on how he removes all the windows. While my parents and wife were at first a bit apprehensive about having no A/C, it was never an issue as the island breezes provided a constant flow of air. We all felt completely safe and Royston did a great job of getting you to right up to the edge of off-road vistas, etc. in which we were to only tours to venture to. He also cut the engine on several occasions so that we could sneak up on some monkeys.

Contact: Royston normally responded to me within a day at his roystontours@hotmail.com email address. As he is out on tours most days, it may not be until later in the day that he is able to get back to you.

Royston provided us with a terrific day in St. Kitts! I would not hesitate to use him.

2  Thank paulpes

Reviewed January 26, 2011

Royston guided us on a volcano climb and general island tour. He provided lunch, water, soda, juice, and beer. He was such a pleasant and informative guide! We had a great day, thanks to Royston.

Royston met us at the cruise port at 8:00. First we picked up Subway sandwiches for lunch, then drove down to the south-east peninsula where we had great views of the two sides of the island, with Nevis in the background. Then up the west coast to Bloody Point, where we had requested to see the Carib petroglyphs. Royston said not many people do this short hike, and we certainly couldn’t have located the trailhead without his knowledge! We had a pleasant hike up an eerily beautiful river canyon, with Royston telling us about the Carib massacre and pointing out the petroglyphs. You will get your feet wet on this hike, unless you are a gymnast like Royston! We had amphibious hiking sandals, which worked well.

We passed Romney Manor and Brimstone Hill, where Royston left it up to us whether to stop and for how long. At about 10:30, we arrived at the volcano trailhead. The Mt. Liamuiga hike took a little less than two hours each way. The trail was steep, slippery, and included some rock-scrambling segments near the top. We didn’t see any monkeys, although we heard them crashing around several times.

The view from the top was stunning! There is lush green forest plummeting down on all sides. The crater lake far below is misted with clouds, until the occasional sunbeam suddenly lights up its jade depths. Royston said it is possible to go down to the lake. He has even been swimming in its chilly waters! He was willing to take us there, but we were content to summit. Going down in the crater would have pushed us for time, besides being quite a bit more strenuous.

The Mt. Liamuiga volcano hike was more difficult than I had expected. In the weeks before the hike, I was walking 4 miles daily, running 2 miles each day on an elliptical set to a steep incline, and doing strength training three times a week. I didn’t find the hike exhausting, but it did tire me, and I had muscle soreness the next day. The downhill part was pretty hard on the knees, and a hiking pole was helpful (although you can probably find a serviceable stick if you scout around near the trailhead). Royston said that most people he guides do make it to the summit, including 60-year-olds and a 5-year-old. If you are reasonably fit, it’s definitely worth doing for the unusual experience and fantastic view!

After the hike, Royston took us along the eastern side of the island, where we saw the Atlantic and Caribbean surf meeting, and admired the tranquility of the beautiful and unusual Black Rocks geological formation. We circled the island and got back to the port about 4:00, where we briefly checked out the shops. This itinerary was not great for shopping, but St. Kitts would be one of the better options. Royston is a wealth of information about his beautiful island, and I strongly recommend him as a guide for any kind of island tour you want.

1  Thank CoralReef
Reviewed February 15, 2010

We spent the day recently with Royston on St. Kitts. The purpose of the tour was a guided hike to the top of the volcano. It was a wonderful hike and he provided sandwiches and drinks during the day. However, he also gave a tour of the island as we drove from the Marriott and returned. He made numerous stops and shared local information with us. He is a native of St. Kitts with a wonderful personality, professional, and was prompt both replying to emails and picking us up at the hotel. He offers a variety of other tours also and we would recommend him to anyone visiting the island

Reviewed January 5, 2010

Went on tour with Royston 12/09 and it was the best tour we ever did. He showed us everything!! It was just me and my 3 daughters and we got to see and do everything. Since it was just us we got to stay as long or as short as we liked at every attraction. This was by far the best value we ever received on an island tour. He is very personable and takes you to see everything........monkeys, caribel batik, brimston hill, snorkeling, the black rocks, a huge pig, cockleshell beach, downtown, beaches.........plus a great lunch...........I don't think there was anything left to see when we were done. If we ever go back, I will definitely book again. Even though I feel like I've already seen everything, it would be fun just to hang out with Royston again. His vehicle was a little old, but he used it to take us through all kinds of out of the way places I can guarantee you the other tours don't go. By the end we were sorry to leave him as he felt like part of the family.

3  Thank upstate_grl
Reviewed November 29, 2009

From booking till the excursion in one word : perfect

Royston takes all the time you need to provide you all information way ahead your holiday about the island so you can decide what to do, where to go to.
Price is very correct ! ( Price is too cheap, for what he does, really, you will feel ashamed and tip him well I am sure of that )
you will have a beautiful day in paradise without any doubt ! Royston loves his island and make your trip so wonderful that you also will fall in love !
So do yourself a favor and go with Royston !
happy traveling