“Fantastic guide”

190 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1,923 helpful votes
“Fantastic guide”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2011

Royston guided us on a volcano climb and general island tour. He provided lunch, water, soda, juice, and beer. He was such a pleasant and informative guide! We had a great day, thanks to Royston.

Royston met us at the cruise port at 8:00. First we picked up Subway sandwiches for lunch, then drove down to the south-east peninsula where we had great views of the two sides of the island, with Nevis in the background. Then up the west coast to Bloody Point, where we had requested to see the Carib petroglyphs. Royston said not many people do this short hike, and we certainly couldn’t have located the trailhead without his knowledge! We had a pleasant hike up an eerily beautiful river canyon, with Royston telling us about the Carib massacre and pointing out the petroglyphs. You will get your feet wet on this hike, unless you are a gymnast like Royston! We had amphibious hiking sandals, which worked well.

We passed Romney Manor and Brimstone Hill, where Royston left it up to us whether to stop and for how long. At about 10:30, we arrived at the volcano trailhead. The Mt. Liamuiga hike took a little less than two hours each way. The trail was steep, slippery, and included some rock-scrambling segments near the top. We didn’t see any monkeys, although we heard them crashing around several times.

The view from the top was stunning! There is lush green forest plummeting down on all sides. The crater lake far below is misted with clouds, until the occasional sunbeam suddenly lights up its jade depths. Royston said it is possible to go down to the lake. He has even been swimming in its chilly waters! He was willing to take us there, but we were content to summit. Going down in the crater would have pushed us for time, besides being quite a bit more strenuous.

The Mt. Liamuiga volcano hike was more difficult than I had expected. In the weeks before the hike, I was walking 4 miles daily, running 2 miles each day on an elliptical set to a steep incline, and doing strength training three times a week. I didn’t find the hike exhausting, but it did tire me, and I had muscle soreness the next day. The downhill part was pretty hard on the knees, and a hiking pole was helpful (although you can probably find a serviceable stick if you scout around near the trailhead). Royston said that most people he guides do make it to the summit, including 60-year-olds and a 5-year-old. If you are reasonably fit, it’s definitely worth doing for the unusual experience and fantastic view!

After the hike, Royston took us along the eastern side of the island, where we saw the Atlantic and Caribbean surf meeting, and admired the tranquility of the beautiful and unusual Black Rocks geological formation. We circled the island and got back to the port about 4:00, where we briefly checked out the shops. This itinerary was not great for shopping, but St. Kitts would be one of the better options. Royston is a wealth of information about his beautiful island, and I strongly recommend him as a guide for any kind of island tour you want.

Visited January 2011
1 Thank CoralReef

Ohio
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Great Time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2010

We spent the day recently with Royston on St. Kitts. The purpose of the tour was a guided hike to the top of the volcano. It was a wonderful hike and he provided sandwiches and drinks during the day. However, he also gave a tour of the island as we drove from the Marriott and returned. He made numerous stops and shared local information with us. He is a native of St. Kitts with a wonderful personality, professional, and was prompt both replying to emails and picking us up at the hotel. He offers a variety of other tours also and we would recommend him to anyone visiting the island

rochester, ny
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Royston--Best Tour guide ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2010

Went on tour with Royston 12/09 and it was the best tour we ever did. He showed us everything!! It was just me and my 3 daughters and we got to see and do everything. Since it was just us we got to stay as long or as short as we liked at every attraction. This was by far the best value we ever received on an island tour. He is very personable and takes you to see everything........monkeys, caribel batik, brimston hill, snorkeling, the black rocks, a huge pig, cockleshell beach, downtown, beaches.........plus a great lunch...........I don't think there was anything left to see when we were done. If we ever go back, I will definitely book again. Even though I feel like I've already seen everything, it would be fun just to hang out with Royston again. His vehicle was a little old, but he used it to take us through all kinds of out of the way places I can guarantee you the other tours don't go. By the end we were sorry to leave him as he felt like part of the family.

3 Thank upstate_grl
Essen, Belgium
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Do yourself a favor and go with Royston, never met such a great guy !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2009

From booking till the excursion in one word : perfect

Royston takes all the time you need to provide you all information way ahead your holiday about the island so you can decide what to do, where to go to.
Price is very correct ! ( Price is too cheap, for what he does, really, you will feel ashamed and tip him well I am sure of that )
you will have a beautiful day in paradise without any doubt ! Royston loves his island and make your trip so wonderful that you also will fall in love !
So do yourself a favor and go with Royston !
happy traveling

1 Thank fvandewouwer
Deep River, Connecticut
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“We Love Royston & Royston Tours!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2009

We own a timeshare on St. Kitts and have been to St. Kitts twice over the last couple years and have used Royston Tours both times. My children are 19, 19, 12, 10, and 8 now and Royston (owner of the company) treated us all like family. The first time he drove us around and showed us around the island. We tasted wild almond nuts straight from the tree. We touched mamosa leaves that curled when your fingers brushed against them. We hiked up Blood River and saw land crabs and lizards. We tasted "Ting" the local soda. He pulled over and cut the sugar cane, still warm from the sun, and chopped it up into bite sized pieces for all of us with his machete. My kids loved all these things. All because Royston pointed them out to me and my children.

Royston is awesome, patient, and kind.

This last trip we took to St. Kitts, Royston drove on these old back country roads up steep clif like terrain. A thrilly ride. We never felt unsafe. Then we got out and hiked up this huge hill into the rainforest. Royston had climbed a huge tree and put up a rope swing in the rainforest for us to swing out and over. Fascinating!

We also stopped later and had the chicken "Roti" at a local lunch place. Excellent.

We stopped at Sandy Bank Beach. An undeveloped, but simply gorgeous white sand beach. Untouched by development.

We will use Royston again and again. He is a pleasure to spend the day with and very informative about his country and an excellent tour guide. AND great with children. And did I say he was funny! He has a great sense of humor. We can't wait to go again.

1 Thank Diamond222