“A must see for cruisers”
Review of Mount Liamuiga

$70.00*
Best of St Kitts by Land and Sea
Ranked #20 of 83 things to do in St. Kitts
More attraction details
Owner description: A 3,792 foot dormant volcano. Guided tours ascend the volcano, and, if properly equipped, descend into its 400-foot deep mouth.
Reviewed April 8, 2014

We stopped for an overnight break at the Dieppe Bay anchorage with our sailboat (an excellent overnight anchorage, by the way). We had not yet cleared into St. Kitts but a customs officer, seeing our Q flag, waved at us from the beach and cleared us into St. Kitts on the spot. We asked him if there was a local guide who could take us up to the volcano. He found a great one who charged a lot less (about 60% less, actually) than what guides typically charge out of Basseterre.

The hike was superb if a little strenuous and the view at the top is fantastic. We are avid hikers and climbers and it took us 75 minutes to climb from the trailhead to the crater rim. We found the trail to be very clearly marked to a point that, had we known that beforehand, we would have dispensed with the guide altogether.

1  Thank Charles V
There are newer reviews for Mount Liamuiga

Reviewed April 6, 2014

I read a lot of the reviews on this site before i booked the trip. I was worried after reading some of the negative reviews. My daughter, especially, is not too fond of exerting herself. However, I talked my daughter and husband into going (they did not read the reviews)and we booked the trip through tropical tours at the Marriott. Our Mt Liamuiga tour guide, Adrian, was from Rogers tours. He provided all the hikers with walking sticks that came in vary handy. The top part of the hike was especially difficult; at some points we were climbing about a foot in height with each step, It was a strenuous trip up and down, but it was a lot of fun. There were a few people on the hike that could not keep up very well and one seemed particularly perturbed that our guide was pushing them to move faster. In the end, all of my family enjoyed the hike/climb. Even my 17 yr old daughter liked doing it (although she says she wouldn't do it again). We all enjoyed Adrian, who told us alot about the volcano, plant and animal life and was quite entertaining. We did not actually go into the center of the volcano; we just climbed up, looked at the crater and came back down. I ws hoping we would go into the crater. However, I would recommend this to anyone who likes a great workout!

Reviewed March 24, 2014

We went with Rogers Tours and have to say for my kids and I it was a great day but my wife, who was battling her asthma it was a tough day and one of the guides did turn her around before the top due to her slow but steady climbing. This hike reminded me a lot of the hikes in the White Mountains. Steep, rocky, slippery in many places and a definite quad burner. Out of 22 who started I think 6 dropped before reaching the top. The last 1/2 mile is a real challenge, both up and down. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS HIKE IN FLIP FLOPS OR IF YOU ARE NOT IN GREAT SHAPE AND WILLING TO GET DIRTY!!!!! Highly recommend it for those up for the challenge.

3  Thank Roger L
Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

We used O'Neill as our guide. He was awesome - stopping to let people rest while explaining many things along the way. He was well worth the price, and made the trip much more interesting and educational.

The view at the top of the volcano is awesome. Our whole family agreed this was the best thing we did on our trip.

But, be ready for a strenuous 2 hr hike up. We did it slightly faster, because our group were all in good shape. It was still a lot of work.

If you're up to the effort, this is a great experience.

2  Thank PeteFarr
Reviewed March 22, 2014

This is not an easy, relaxing hike. It took us two hours to climb up the hill and 1.45 to get down. I was the least fit of our group and lagged behind but O'Neil (our guide and owner of this tour business) was encouraging and took breaks for me to catch my breath. He was all business and wanted us all to get to the top.

At times, I was on all fours trying to make it over the rocks, roots, and branches to make it to the next rest spot. O'Neil was informative and pointed out interesting trees, plants, rocks, etc. I probably would have learned more if I wasn't concentrating on breathing and not falls. This is not a place you want to twist and ankle.

My 12 and 15 year old did just fine, but they were tired at the end of the day. O'Neil brought a small snack for us which we enjoyed at our 10 minute break at the top. And he stopped at local grocery store and bought us all a drink for the ride back to hotel.

My family will always remember our hike up the volcano, because it is a great vacation story. "Guess what Mom signed us up for...can't believe we did it!"

2  Thank Michelle326