“Great Workout with amazing view”
Review of Mount Liamuiga

$70.00*
Shore Excursion: Treasures of St Kitts by Land and Sea
Ranked #21 of 83 things to do in St. Kitts
More attraction details
Owner description: A 3,792 foot dormant volcano. Guided tours ascend the volcano, and, if properly equipped, descend into its 400-foot deep mouth.
Toronto, Ontario
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 142 helpful votes
“Great Workout with amazing view”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I strated my trip up to the crater from 6am with two local guides, and came back at 12am...exhausted and happy seeing such amazing places in the world. I saw craters of Soufriere Hills Volcano in Montserrat, drive through volcano in Dominica, and St.Lucia, crater lake in Grenada...but St.Kitts' Liamuga offering that idealy shaped crater above the clouds like from the dreams...
It is really adventurous feeling to be at the edge of the cliff and feel the smell of sulphur, coldness of the fresh breeze, with ocasional raindrops.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank KiMAGIC

Lititz, Pennsylvania
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“A really enjoyable hike and good workout!”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

We booked directly with Poinciana Tours prior to arriving at St. Kitts on Celebrity Cruises. Finding Poinciana Tours at the dock was easy. Their company was leading two different tours that day. My wife and I were the only ones doing the volcano hike (Mt. Liamuiga), but Al took just the two of us. Al is 28 years old, and a great guide. He knows the island well, his dad has been a guide for decades, and Al has climbed the volcano hundreds of times. My wife and I are both in good shape, but the hike is a good workout! The trail to the top of the volcano gets increasingly challenging, with lots of large rocks and tree roots to climb. It took us about 90 minutes to get to the top, with some short stops along the way to take photos, learn about plants, and rest a bit.

At the top of the climb, there is a small rock lookout perch that requires some agile footwork to maneuver, but reveals a view of the ocean in one direction, and the dormant volcano's lake in the other direction, 100+ feet below. Al shared juice and homemade raisin pastry (delicious!) with us while we enjoyed the views and took some photos.

The hike back down the volcano is quicker, but can be slick with the rain that began to fall.

We both wore running shoes, which worked okay, but newer tread would have been better. Hiking boots could have come in handy, especially since brief rain showers are common and the moss-covered tree roots and rocks get slippery.

The temperature was comfortable (probably high 70s degrees) for hiking since we were under the rain forest canopy and didn't have any direct sunlight until we reached the top.

There was a group of about 25 people who were on the same cruise ship as us and had booked the volcano hike. They take the identical hiking path, but being with a larger group makes conversation with the guide more difficult. Also, there were several people from the tour group who "dropped out" at various points along the trail. They then waited for the rest of the group to finish the climb and return back on the same trail.

Overall this was an interesting and enjoyable hike and one of the highlights of our trip. Keep up the good work, Al !

Visited December 2012
4 Thank Eric W
Denver, Colorado
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 104 helpful votes
“Different type of island activity”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

It's true what others say- don't attempt this hike if you're not fit and you don't have proper footwear. That being said, it's 4 hours of hiking and it is a really great hike. The rainforest is beautiful, we got to see a monkey and our guide David from Poinciana Tours was awesome.

This is a great activity to do on the island if you're sick of sitting at the beach all day. I wouldn't attempt it on your own- the trails are not well marked and it would be pretty easy to get lost.

Visited November 2012
3 Thank becknuts
Newburgh, New York
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Mount Liamuiga Volcano Hike”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

This was the hardest hike I have ever done in my life. It is past hard and its straight up and down. If you are not in excellent shape do not attempt it. My friends are I were in pain for 5 days after the hike. You must be an experienced hiker and have the right shoes. The guide is very fast and the its not worth the view on the top. There is no wildlife to see and very little but hiking up and down. Do do it unless you want to push yourself beyond your limits.

Visited November 2012
4 Thank kgeraci
Wichita, Kansas, United States
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Definitely worth it”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I don't think that the destination defines the experience. The hike itself is worth it. Thank goodness for the roots, some parts felt practically vertical to my tired body, and I simply pulled myself up by the tree roots.

You don't have to join a tour, but I'd recommend a guide. Our taxi driver offered to be our guide, so we took it. I was more than satisfied. I guess you could do it alone if you're really all that experienced, but I would certainly not recommend that to everyone.

Visited November 2011