“Different type of island activity”
Review of Mount Liamuiga

$70.00*
Best of St Kitts by Land and Sea
Ranked #21 of 83 things to do in St. Kitts
More attraction details
Owner description: A 3,792 foot dormant volcano. Guided tours ascend the volcano, and, if properly equipped, descend into its 400-foot deep mouth.
Reviewed December 11, 2012

It's true what others say- don't attempt this hike if you're not fit and you don't have proper footwear. That being said, it's 4 hours of hiking and it is a really great hike. The rainforest is beautiful, we got to see a monkey and our guide David from Poinciana Tours was awesome.

This is a great activity to do on the island if you're sick of sitting at the beach all day. I wouldn't attempt it on your own- the trails are not well marked and it would be pretty easy to get lost.

3  Thank becknuts
There are newer reviews for Mount Liamuiga

Reviewed November 26, 2012

This was the hardest hike I have ever done in my life. It is past hard and its straight up and down. If you are not in excellent shape do not attempt it. My friends are I were in pain for 5 days after the hike. You must be an experienced hiker and have the right shoes. The guide is very fast and the its not worth the view on the top. There is no wildlife to see and very little but hiking up and down. Do do it unless you want to push yourself beyond your limits.

4  Thank kgeraci
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I don't think that the destination defines the experience. The hike itself is worth it. Thank goodness for the roots, some parts felt practically vertical to my tired body, and I simply pulled myself up by the tree roots.

You don't have to join a tour, but I'd recommend a guide. Our taxi driver offered to be our guide, so we took it. I was more than satisfied. I guess you could do it alone if you're really all that experienced, but I would certainly not recommend that to everyone.

1  Thank ThienLanN
Reviewed October 10, 2012

As I may have known, this hike up the volcano was not going to be a walk in the park. May I recommend you begin to conditioning yourself physically at the gym prior to attempting this excursion. It was a great obstacle for my fiancé and I to have accomplished both in our early 30’s, but still incredibly difficult and at time completely out of breath. Take in consideration it’s a 5-6 hours of straight hiking and climbing!!! Trust me it takes a toll on your body, even if you do work out every day… Definitely a challenge!!

3  Thank Michelle C
Reviewed September 30, 2012

You must be in great shape for this hike!!! You will feel the pain for a couple of days. I was disappointed in the view. I thought we would be able to see the island from the top but you just see in inside of an old crater. Just top of trees for the view. In my opinion the view is not worth the physical exercise.

4  Thank Jennifer S