“Pretty Good Resort, Good diving”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cayman Brac
Cayman Brac Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Cayman Brac
Reviewed August 19, 2007

We were at this resort from 8/11-818. It is a good hotel and the dive shop is pretty good. But, we did have a few concerns.

The hotel itself is simple and adequate. The staff was very helpful and when we asked ot move to a different room they accomodated us without hesitation. The rooms are basic, but the beds are very comfortable. We had a breakfast/dinner meal plan, and it worked out well. The food was pretty good, given it was served buffet style. They always had a carving station in addition to the buffet, with a different special item each night. The steaks, roast beef and fish were very good.

The bar is adequate, but very expensive. We ended up traveling about a mile up the road to a liquor store and bought enough beer and wine for the week. It was much cheaper.

All in all, the hotel met our expectations. If you are expecting a lively night life, however, this isn't the place for you. The bar was very quiet the whole week.

The diving was good. The dive shop, reef divers, is on property. The boats were excellent, and our crew -- Chris and BJ -- were very helpful, funny, and patient with us. While our morning dives were included in the package, the afternoon dive was not and cost $55 US per trip (per person, one tank). The night dive was also pretty expensive, and only went out on Tues. and Thr. night, weather permitting. Unfortunately, we were also expecting to dive from the beach as "unlimited shore diving" was included in our package. That's pretty close to false advertising, as there are no shore dive sites within walking distance of the property, so if you want to shore dive you need to rent a car. Further, there are a limited number of "shore diving" tanks. So, it's pretty clear that they want to limit the amount of shore diving you do.

Also, the snorkeling and swimming around the front of the property is really lousy. It looks nice in the photos, but most of the lagoon in front of the hotel is covered with sharp objects and see grasses. It's definately not a place to spend a lot of time.

We would recommend a maximum of 4 days diving at this resort. We dove for six days, and while the trip to Little Cayman to dive in Bloody Bay was excellent, the rest of the sites became very repetative.

All in all, this is a reasonable place to dive. But, given the amount of time it took us to get there, combined with the lack of shore diving we expected, we won't return to this resort.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank clarkeWgriswold

Reviewed June 20, 2007

My wife and I enjoyed a week here that consisted almost entirely of diving, eating and relaxing - it was a great way to escape reality for a little while.

The hotel itself is very basic but nice - everything you need and nothing you don't. Considering it's the only real resort on the island it could be much worse, but the owners/managers are clearly invested in making it a good experience for all. The rooms are basic but clean and comfortable. The restaurant and bar are casual and the buffet is actually quite good. The bar food is also good although the bar staff, particularly during lunch, can be a little surly. Interestingly, it's also an hang out for locals, so while you're at a 'resort' the intimate nature of Cayman Brac makes it feel like less of a touristy place.

Reef Divers are great - Donnie, Chris and Brett are fantastic to dive with and really take care of everyone with their 'valet' service. The diving is unbelievable and so is the comedy during the surface interval... "dirty tree and a turd", classic!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank matthew.cronin
Reviewed June 20, 2007

To take a group of 30 people to this resort and not have to worry about one thing is priceless! The time spent at Brac Reef was great and this was across all services from the dive operation to the hotel accommodations and food. The dive staff is some of the best I have ever come across with customer service being at the top. My customers didn't have to worry about anything during their stay except to take a nap or go snorkeling and nobody could complain about the food at all. For both divers and non divers the location has much to offer. I would go back again and in fact plans are to return in June of 2008.

• Stayed: June 2005, traveled with family
2  Thank DjScuba
Reviewed May 29, 2007

The Brac Reef Resort is the best dive resort I've been to. My only complaint is that I probably gained 5 pounds cause I just couldn't pass up that 5-star food! The chefs and wait staff are all Jamaican and man can they cook. I'm talking fancy food, filling food, pretty food, simple food, veggies, salads, and don't get me started on the dessert. Sinful! They have a pastry chef--need I say more? And when I craved some ice cream and it wasn't on the menu that night, Omar found me some, by golly! Good thing the diving's so amazing that you go on all 3 boat dives every day to work off some of those calories. Our divemasters, Donnie the Scotsman, and BJ the Caymanian, were just excellent. Donnie's funny and just as cute as he can be in his Shrek hat he wears underwater so the stoopid divers can always find him. And you do want to follow him and BJ when you dive because they know where the STUFF is! When they say valet diving, believe it. It's all done, and very efficiently and with little fanfare. And you really do get all your gear back, in the sane place every day. And your second tank's ready when you are. The diving--what can I say--grottos, swimthrus, reefs, reefs, reefs, walls, walls, wall, sealife (flora and fauna). Saw my first black-tipped reef shark and didn't suck all the air out of my tank as I thought I would. Lots of turtles. Millions of fish--it's a 10,000,000 gallon aquarium. Morays, eagle rays, manta rays, octopi, lobsters--just can't name 'em all. The staff is terrific. Trudy, very friendly!, the resident manager, does everything possible to make your vacation the best. The rest of the desk and gift shop staff are just as nice and friendly as Trudy. I've talked about the kitchen staff. Besides making and serving the fantastic food, they're all so very friendly and helpful. Rooms are kept clean daily. Need more towels? Just ask. Need a blanket? just ask. 2 out of 3 of the bar staff are friendly and fun. I won't name names, but you should hope Michelle or Annie are on duty. They're fun and talk to you as if they're actually having fun on the job and like you being on the other side buying their booze and tipping them. The other one, you'll get attitude from, no chitchat, no friendliness, just the busines of tossing beer, and no popcorn "because they're serving dinner in the dining room". They're serving dinner at 6:30, but WE'RE not going to eat until 8! What's it to you? Trudy, however, took care of that little problem after a little mention from us. Her thoughts on the matter? Popcorn's cheap - if it keeps even one guest happy, we'll do it! The sandy grounds are kept spotless by a busy bunch of gardeners. Take advantage of the hammocks. They're down close to the beach in the seagrape trees or under a shelter or on the second deck of the dock and you'll always have a cool seabreeze and no bugs, even when it's hot elsewhere. Have I convinced you? Go! We're going back, fer sure!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank kgeorge1
Reviewed May 26, 2007

This was our second trip to BRAC REEF BEACH RESORT. Just like before, the resort was great, the food was great and the diving was great.

The resort staff is friendly and helpful. There is a resident resort manager that oversees the operations on a daily basis. The rooms are simple, comfortable, clean and the A/C works great. If you are a diver, the king bed rooms have more storage area.

The pool and bar area are centrally located and very nice. Not surprisingly, the bar area is the gathering place for divers to socialize. The bar has been upgraded with new bar stools and tables. Bar drinks are expensive so keep track of your bar tab daily.

You can't imagine the quality of food at this resort!! The food is gourmet quality. Do not plan on eating out since there are very few other places to eat on The Brac and they are not close to the resort.

The diving with REEF DIVERS is great. The staff handles everything. This is valet diving at its finest. Each day you leave everything but wetsuit and mask on the boat. They have an excellent area to hang up wetsuits and other things to dry.

They have a relatively new fleet of Newton 46 dive boats. Their rental gear is excellent if you don't want to lug your gear with you. If you don't have a computer they will furnish one for free. All dives are computer profile.

The only downer is the goofy flight schedule on Cayman Airways. The jet arrives just before dark and leaves around 6:00 a.m. That cost you two (2) half days at the resort when you could be having fun. The excess baggage charge is not that much, so next time I am going to take the turbo-prop aircraft and have a better flight schedule.

FYI, now that Divi Tiara has closed up shop (partially due to Cayman Airways) this is your only choice for a full service resort on The Brac. You can stay at several condos, but you will be cooking your own food and the diving will not be so convenient.

BRAC REEF BEACH RESORT and REEF DIVERS are highly recommended. I am definitely going back as soon as my schedule and bank account allow.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank South4Scuba
Reviewed May 14, 2007

We don't like to vacation in crowded places, and I don't like shopping. This was absolutely one of the two best places I've ever been and I can't wait to go Brac (as they say). The diving was fabulous and the crew (Barbie & Menne, our divemasters, and Chris, our captain) was absolutely wonderful. The Reef Divers staff and everyone at the hotel know your name from the minute you arrive and treat you like good friends. Don't miss diving Bloody Bay wall off Little Cayman (weather permitting; the crossing can get rough sometimes).

The food was excellent and there was plenty of it. Buffet in the dining room or order off the menu at the bar. I would also recommend getting the three-meal package.

When you're not diving, the relaxing is no finer. Sit in the sun, swim in the pool, read or nap in a hammock... there's always a spot just right for you available because this resort has only 40 rooms. Quiet and peaceful. And if you forget a book or finish yours, they have a lending/trading library.

• Stayed: April 2007
2  Thank yodaoreo
Reviewed May 10, 2007

All i can say the this pace was great.. the food was great , the dive shop was great .. the diving was excellent along with the service.. it was a very relaxing , yet but tiring vacation doing 3 dives a day so basically we ate, slept and dive.. The island was very small we saw it all in about 4 hours .. and the was stopping at all the tourist spots.. I would definitely go back there again!

• Stayed: April 2007
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Cayman Brac Beach Resort? Share your experiences!