“Good but not for value for money”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cayman Brac
Cayman Brac Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Cayman Brac
Leeds
“Good but not for value for money”
Reviewed May 12, 2014

The Brac Reef Resort is situated on the other side of the runway from the airport. A taxi ride from the airport costs US$9/CI$7. As with most hotels in the Cayman Islands, it’s situated on its own beach. However, the beach isn’t great for sea-bathing as there are rocks and reefs close to shore. You can only enter the water up to about thigh deep. It is, however, good for snorkelling and the area is great for scuba diving if that’s your thing.

The rooms are decent but nothing to write home about. There are only a few channels on TV and the signal reception isn’t great. The service in the hotel is mixed: some people were very friendly and gave great service whereas others were decidedly average. Breakfast was a decent affair with a waffle and omelette station, variety of fruits and fruit juices, cereals, breads/bagels, sausages, bacon, eggs, tea, coffee and hot chocolate. I didn’t eat dinner or lunch there but did order food from the bar. That was decent. The hotel also has a guest laundry service where you can wash and dry your own clothes. It’s $2 per load (washer and dryer each). If you have the hotel do it, it’s $12. There are no dry cleaning services on the island (or so I was told).

The hotel provides free wi-fi throughout the hotel. It’s not particularly fast though. Just good enough to do the basics of checking email and the like. Overall the hotel is a pleasant stay but I’m not convinced that it is good value for money. At $120 per night I’d expect a bit more. I’m not sure what the other hotels cost on the island though. It may be that that is the norm.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank sudders08

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed May 8, 2014

Words cannot describe how much I enjoyed my visit to BRBR. It is, by far, the best vacation I have ever experienced. The setting is absolutely beautiful. The accommodations are superb. The dining is excellent. The staff is friendly and helpful.

Scuba diving is my passion. The sites on Brac offer an incredible variety of underwater options, from beautiful walls to awesome swim-throughs to gorgeous shallower coral fingers and sand channels. I cannot remember when I've seen more sea turtles.

Great diving, superlative dining, impeccable service and Caribbean hospitality.

Special kudos to my new friends: Leanna, Mirna, Tom, Dennis, Junior, Joanne & Jinky. They made my surface intervals very comfortable.

Especial thanks to Hellen, Barbie, Mick, Erik, Beccy and Steve at Reef Divers.

See you next year.

Room Tip: The lower rooms allow direct access to the beach and bar.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank rummy53
Fresno, CA
Reviewed April 29, 2014 via mobile

Had a wonderful time. 10 days of tropical beauty with outstanding diving.

If your lucky you will get the Coral Sister and crew. Barb, BJ and John are fantastic. There is nothing like being greeted every morning with big smiles and genuine excitement about the day ahead. They asked what we wanted to see that day, then did their best to show us. I'm still in awe over Psycho the Eel. Free swimming along with the divers, following John like a dog. Amazing.... Of course, I cannot forget seeing my first hammerhead with BJ, and to top that a flying gaunard.

Can't say enough about the diving and our crew.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank scubalover70
Ramona, California
Reviewed April 24, 2014

This was my first visit to this resort and my 3rd visit to Cayman Brac. The grounds were very well maintained and clean. Every meal was buffet style, which is not my preference but the food was really enjoyable with a fair amount of variety. If you just need a cheeseburger, you can bust out and order that cheeseburger in paradise at the bar. Minor complaint is that the kitchen doesn't open until 7:00 and I prefer my 1st cup of coffee earlier. I could have brewed a cup in the room but didn't. There are kayaks and bicycles to rent for non-divers or non-diving days.

For divers, the onsite Reef Divers operation is one of the better I've had the pleasure to meet. The Dive Masters were truly fun to be around. The diving itself seems to have degraded from 20 years ago when I first visited the island. I think it is due to predation by the introduced lionfish. I remember a lot more angelfish in previous visits. Nonetheless, still a great location.

Word of caution, the wifi is sloooow.

Room Tip: Second story room have better views.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sharkchow
Bartlett, Illinois
Reviewed April 23, 2014

OMG what a great way to spend time diving. we have been her two weeks and booyah! Dive staff is unbelievable, service is above and beyond! If you just want to dive this is the place to come and stay. the locals are great, market down the road, great historic sites to visit.

Room Tip: if you have knee or back ask for a bottom room by the pool. otherwise all the rooms are great and lo...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Maui, Hawaii
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Every detail was perfect. The rooms were nice and clean,and the diving was the best anywhere.
I would recommend this property to anyone who is looking for a dive vacation. The food was excellent and always fresh.The staff from both the hotel and dive shop took care of your every need. If you want that pampered feeling than this is the place. We have visited this property many times over the years and have never been disappointed . W

Room Tip: It doesn't matter the room,your never in it . They always have something to do
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Liptovsky Mikulas, Slovakia
Reviewed April 14, 2014

I had never stayed in a resort before, so coming to Brac Reef I did not know what to expect but I was pleasantly suprised. The service was excelent. My room was extremly clean, spacious, there was everything I needed. The staff was friendly and helpful. The food was well prepared, tasty, different kinds every day, so everybody could choose what they wanted. Tipsy Turtle bar was a great place to hang out and meet people. There was a dive shop close by, so I could go on a boat with divers and snorkel. The resort offers bike rentals, which was important to me, because I could explore an island my own way. Although I usually travel on budget, I paid a bit more at this resort {still a good deal though}, but it was worth every penny. I would definitely recommend this resort and I must say it is already a popular one. I have met many people who had been at this resort many times before and they are still coming back......

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
#2 of 3 in Cayman Brac
Sunset Cove
Sunset Cove
#1 of 1 in Little Cayman

Been to Cayman Brac Beach Resort? Share your experiences!