“You don't have to be a diver to love it here”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cayman Brac
Cayman Brac Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Cayman Brac
Reviewed February 21, 2008

Although my husband went on several dives, I was very happy moving from one hammock to another getting caught up on my reading. They must have 10 different hammocks under various huge shade trees and gazebos. Since we aren't big divers and eat lightly, we did not sign up for either the dive package or the meal package and we were very happy with that. They provided a little refrigerator so we could make our own breakfasts and have dinner left overs for lunch. We ate all our dinners at the bar which offered great meals at a much more reasonable cost than the dining room. They provided bikes (albeit old ones) that were great for touring the little 12 mile island. The snorkeling was not really an option off the beach, as the wind was blowing on shore and the water was much too shallow and filled with barnacles. I went out with the divers in the boat to snorkel once and found the visibility not great because of the depth. Snorkeling is better off the shore on the north side, I think. Forget about hiking on the brac unless you like walking on stalagmite-like rocks. The native rock is VERY rugged and would require heavy duty hiking boots and a hiking stick. Also, never mind a hike to the "parrot preserve". Most locals had never heard of it and saw very few parrots around. Again, it would be a rugged hike. Biking is fun, as it is very level and there is almost no traffic on the road, especially on the south side.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Lifeisgoodat60

Reviewed February 21, 2008

We stayed at the Brac Reef for 7 days. It as set on a very nice, well kept property. The hotel rooms were clean and colorful but basic. Small tv, no refrigerators or micro waves. Several of the rooms had no balconies or patios. We ended up with one and double beds, not a king .I did complain about this and was originally told that they were full, so I would not be able to switch.When I asked about changing again the next day , as I felt we had gotten the worst in both ways, they finally moved things around and we got a room with a king bed and balcony. Much better. Almost everyone at the resort was very nice. The food was good. A large variety. There is the resturant and bar.There is really no place else to eat with out having a car. And then ther are only a few other resturants. We did rent a car one day to tour the island. The diving was great and the dive staff very helpful and accomodating. Valet diving is the best. There is nothing to do on the island except dive , hike, or rock climb. The hotel has a welcome rum party, a karakoee night, a movie nigfht and a band night. Thery also have volleyball, tennis and horse shoes. The Hammocks are numerous and very relaxing. There is a large 2 story dock/ pier on the property. They say that you can snorkel , but I did not see anyone in the water. Unfortntely ther is no actual swimming beach there .It is pretty, but not your typical swimming beach. I would defiately go back ther.It is the best hotel on the small island.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 20, 2008

Maybe I am spoiled, but I found this place grim. The rooms were motel-like and the rum drinks at the bar were ghastly. The dive operation was better than average.
It is too bad, but I don't think there is a better resort on Brac.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank NewYorkBaci
Reviewed February 5, 2008

Wow.
We left the Brac Reef a few days ago and are currently in Grand Cayman. While it is hard to miss paradise while you are still in it, we definitely are a bit homesick for the time we spent at the Brac Reef!

We concur with other posted reviews that the resort offered everything we could have asked for -- basic but spotless rooms, a idyllic setting, excellent value for the money, etc. We have stayed at numerous all-inclusive diving resorts in the past and think that the Brac Reef was superior -- especially with respect to the food, which in our experience other operations have cut corners. We were on the 3-meal a day plan. At first we thought eating buffet style for a week would get tiresome, but the variety was excellent and everything was always quite fresh and tasty. We appreciated the wide range of fruits and vegetables at each meal.

Certainly the diving was the high point of our trip. Reef Divers run a very professional operation -- terrifically well organized yet laid back and fun. Each dive, there was the choice of a guided tour with the experienced divemaster or the opportunity to discover things with our buddies on our own, according to the agreed upon dive profile. We are experienced divers and enjoyed having this option. The marine life is beautiful and quite varied; even after 17 dives we were still discovering so many new things! Our favorite dives were Patch Reef and the morning we spent in Little Cayman's Bloody Bay. Huge props are due to Ken, Ean, Chris and Brett for doing the heavy lifting, knowing the answers to our questions, and keeping everyone laughing along the way.

Out of the water, we enjoyed a lot of hammock time, pretty sunsets, and the odd Caybrew with new friends. If you love to dive and are looking for a comfortable, intimate setting to enjoy it in, Brac Reef Resort will not disappoint.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank SwimmerGirl24
Reviewed February 1, 2008

Just returned from 10 days at Brac Reef.

A fantastic experience all round.

The hotel was well maintained. All staff were very friendly and willing to go the extra mile over any request.

My room was large enough with plenty of space and storage. The bathroom was simple but adequate. A/C was sufficient.

I did not have a meal plan as I did not want a full buffet lunch and dinner but others commented that the food was excellent. The bar menu was adequate for all tastes although I stayed away from the fries and stuck with excellent salads instead.

There is little else to do except relax and unwind on the beach, in a hammock or by the pool/ hot tub although tennis, beach volleyball and free bike rides are available. There are opportunities to eat and drink elsewhere on the island if you have a car although I stayed entirely in the resort.

Reef divers are exceptional and should be a first choice for all divers. Their service was unbeatable and all were very friendly and sociable.

Wednesday Karaoke and the Friday BBQ were the social highlights for many guests.

A special mention about the spa where I had a fantastic masage at the end of my stay.

I'd advise travellers to borrow a bike and cycle round the island in addition to hiring a car. I saw so many more sights than fellow travellers on my bike than they did in their car.

You also get the chance to leave a momento such as a painted stone or bamboo and it's great to know the world's full of so many great artists!!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled solo
5  Thank Lone-travels
Reviewed December 22, 2007

My wife, who is a non-diver, and I stayed at the Brac Beach Reef Resort from Dec. 1 - Dec. 8. The weather was outstanding, 82-85 degrees during the day and in the low 70's at night. We had the all inclusive plan which means your food is served buffet style in a very nice dining room. The food was excellent with a good choice at each meal and always at the right temperature. Breakfast included an eggs to order station. Desserts were particularly good. It would have been nice if food served at the bar would have been part of the meal plan.

The room was good sized with a great view and a.c. although it was possible at night not to even use the a.c. Television had about 10 channels although only 3 came in well enough to view. Maybe that was just our T.V. A large chest of drawers provided adequate storage space. Bathroom had a tub/shower combi-
nation. There was a problem with adequate hot water. It didn't seem to matter when you tried. A small table with two chairs was also included. Beds were just right for me. My wife thought they were a little hard.

The beach was sandy, but there were a lot of rocks and seaweed in the water. Beach shoes were necessary to enter the water. Several shaded hammocks were near the water and on a long pier which extended out into the water.

A large bar which served very good drinks was near the restau-
rant. Drinks were quite expensive. Bar also served hamburgers, fries, and other sandwiches.

There was a tennis court, and bicycles were available free of charge. A car could be rented at around $35 to tour the island. Roads were paved and in good shape. There is no town on the island and very few stores.

A small, clean centrally located pool with a raised wooden deck was seldom used while we were there, maybe because the pool water was colder than the ocean water. A hot tub was near the pool but wasn't working until our last day there.

Most people come here to dive. The on-site dive shop, Reef Divers, can not be beaten. They rig your tank and bring it to you at the back of the boat. You leave all your gear on the boat except your wet suit which you hang up in front of the dive shop. It is safe to leave it there all night. The next morning you just pick up your dive suit and get on board. Dive boats left at 8:30 and returned in time to eat in the dining room. All dives were two tank dives with the interval period served on board the boat. If you get seasick easily, I suggest you take some type of medication. On three of the six dive days the water was a little rough. Most everyone used a computer, but there were no deco dives. Dive-
masters presented an informative predive lecture which included a drawing of terrain to be covered. You could follow the dive-
master or venture out on your own. First dive was usually a deep, wall dive followed by a shallow reef dive. Reefs were in good shape. We did the Tibbets wreck dive and went over to Little Cayman for the Bloody Bay wall dive. Boats were always tied off to preanchored buoys. Water temperature was an amazing 83 degrees. Night dives were available. Divemasters were very personableand safey conscious.

Not much to do in the evening except visit or watch T.V., but after a day of diving, that was fine with me.

Overall I highly recommend this resort if you are a diver. The people were friendly and helpful. The diving was good, and the food was almost like being on a cruise ship.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Shirley A
Reviewed October 19, 2007

We just got back from Brac last night. We had a fantastic time. The diving is great and I can't say enough about the dive staff, they carry your gear to the dive platform, help you put it on and take off at the end of your dive. This was great with my hip and knee problems. The resort's food was outstanding, better than on many cruises. Our room was attractive, well maintained and kept clean. The grounds were also nice. Our only complaint was the weather, but you can't do anything about that. We would go back every year if we didn't have to overnight in Grand Cayman both ways, maybe there will be better connections next year. Ann

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Been to Cayman Brac Beach Resort? Share your experiences!