“Excellence - again!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Little Cayman
Little Cayman Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Little Cayman
Thomasville, Georgia
“Excellence - again!”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I just love this place, and I love the diving that goes along with it. Little Cayman Island doesn't have any real "amusements" for people, but it's a great place for people who love the sea and love nature. The diving is what keeps me coming back. The resort itself is simply wonderful - great service, super food, excellent staff. Reef Divers - the resort's dive facility - is top-notch. I've never had a bad experience. The dive guides work very hard to make your dive trips fun and safe. They are super-helpful. I can't wait to get back there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank love2dive65

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I spent two weeks traveling solo in the Caymans last July - 4 nights at LCBR, 4 nights at Sunshine Suites and 6 nights at the Grand Cayman Marriott, so I will post reviews separately for each.

It was a diving and foodie trip for me - seriously, I had a list of restaurants in Grand Cayman to visit and saved up a good budget for this trip (paid everything in cash)... loved every minute of it.

I absolutely enjoyed LCBR and am already looking for a way to return next year.
What I loved the most?
Number One - The diving - Reef Divers have the BEST boats and service in the Caymans. Even compared to a long established well known dive operator on the east end of GC, Reef Divers hands down were the best, IMHO. Great service, clean spacious fast boats... awesome dive masters (Aly!!!) who provide great dive briefings (they draw a colorful 'map' of the dive site for you, explaining where to go, your options, etc). I did 24 dives on my entire trip, 9 of them were in Little Cayman. I think the dive sites in Little Cayman were very interesting with lots to see... check out Mixing Bowl, Leah's Lookout, Marilyn's Cut, Barracuda Bight, Randy's Gazebo (awesome vertical swim through), and of course Great Wall West. I honestly enjoyed every single one and would love to visit them all again.

No. 2 - The food - I met a couple who said the food wasn't as good as their previous visit here, but every diver on my table was raving about the food - myself included. Because I did so much diving, I didn't gain weight despite all the food I ate - I had some form of chocolate dessert after every meal! It was soooo good. One of the divers in our group did a tour of the kitchen and was very impressed. As mentioned, this was a diving and foodie trip for me (I spent $$$ on dinner at Blue by Eric Ripert - review to follow), and I was not dissapointed by the food at LCBR - in fact I loved it.

No. 3 - The ocean view. If you can afford it, waking up to a view of the ocean is a pretty special way to live.

No. 4 - The secluded island feel! Not commercialized at all. Very different from Grand Cayman. Must do's: On the day you're not diving, rent a kayak and go to Owen Island (took me about 30 minutes going there, 15 minutes going back and I saw an eagle ray going past me on the way back). Also rent a bike or van and go to Point of Sand, jump off the pier and snorkel until the current takes you back to shore (be careful though, no lifeguards to either place). Also go to the LCBR pier after dinner to go stargazing... when was the last time you saw the stars?

What would make it better?
1. Better Beach... the beach here is just not swimable because of the seaweed and I don't think they clean it all. If you want to play in the ocean, you have to go to Owen Island or Point of Sand.
2. Quieter Rooms... the AC in my room was loud, I heard guests on the first floor complain that they could hear the guests on the second floor, I also read about Karaoke night noise but I wasn't there for that night.
3. Free use of Bikes & Kayaks... this is mostly a diving resort so why not sweeten the deal for non divers by letting them use the bikes and kayaks for free? (thankfully dive computers are free to rent!)
4. The TV channels were very grainy... I don't watch much tv (only to fall asleep or wake up) but if something is available, it should work well.

Overall, I absolutely love LCBR but almost don't want YOU to know about it, so that they don't hike up their prices next year... I will be back!

Room Tip: Ocean view, 2nd floor
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank SunSandSea_and_Me
Sacramento, California
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I think you don't see more reviews of this property because people want to keep it their little secret place. That said, many of the people we enjoyed during our visit here were returning guests and that says a lot! LCBR is cozy, clean, well maintained and the staff are delightful and professional. The food here is fantastic NO sorry, (fan-freaking-tastic)! BRAVO to Chef Anthony, Joanne and all your staff for helping me channel my inner piggy. I appreciate that you made things bell pepper free just for me. I'm still dreaming about the apple wood smoked gnocchi, thanks Chef Anthony! As for Reef Divers they are helpful, safety conscious and very informative on their dive briefings so you know what to look for and how to plan a great dive. The marine life around Little Cayman is protected and it shows (please help keep it that way)! No touching, eat, sleep and dive. Here you will find the best of the best yes some of the healthiest beautiful diving in the Caribbean awaits you. Go now and enjoy yourself!

Room Tip: For a quiet spot go upstairs and get that ocean view!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MMMTIGER
Reviewed September 25, 2012

This is one of the most relaxing diving vacations my husband and I have taken. The resort has an excellent diving staff, wonderful dive sites with a lot of variety. The dives can vary in depth from beginner to advanced. The diving was spectacular!!, I enjoyed the caverns, swim-throughs, which were at 45-50ft. depths. The variety of fish was all encompassing from grouper, stingrays, angels, lobster, baraccuda, and sea turtles. Just Awesome. We saw more here than the barrier in Austrailia. The resort was great. Every night they had something going on at the bar, like trivia night which was fun. The Chef was incredible, everyday it was different, the buffet was the best we have experienced vs. some of the fancier hotels. Every morning, the usual group of divers got together, had coffee, the light diving buffet, and headed off for the dive boat. If you're a diver and want to also relax, this is the place. Highly recommend it, but make sure you fly into Grand Cayman and then take the puddle hopper over to the little island where they will come and pick u up with a smile!

Room Tip: If you want to upgrade, I highly recommend a beachfront room, well worth the money.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DiverGeorgia
Salt Spring Island, Canada
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We spent 9 days at the LCBR in June 2012. Despite the foul weather due to a tropical storm, we had a great experience. The dive staff could always find a protected spot where we could dive safely. Our boat staff was outstanding: very safety conscious but also very informative about the sealife. And, the sealife was plentiful: great visibility, gorgeous walls, lots of turtles everywhere, large friendly groupers, all kinds of macro stuff as well. The resort is small enough that the staff get to know you quickly. The room was very comfy and roomy with a nice ocean view. But, what sets this place apart from most dive resorts is the quality and variety of the meals. Lots of choices of fresh salads every meal!! We were there for The Digital Shootout and the resort had no problems dealing with the very large number of photographers and offered an excellent set-up for various classes and evening presentations. The only negative is the small airport can cause some issues with baggage and you may have to send our luggage on a different flight but the hotel will see that your stuff gets to Grand Cayman in time for your connection.
We will go back for sure!

Room Tip: We had an ocean view room but a pool view room would have worked just fine.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ann D
Florida
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I have stayed and scuba dived on all three islands in the Cayman Islands, and I can honestly say that this is the best. It starts with your greeting at the airport, your really easy check-in, very nicely appointed rooms with cable TV, incredibly good food, and a very smoothly run dive shop. The boats are fast and there is plenty of room on board for your cameras or other dive equipment. They will not let you walk to the back of the boat for your entry with a tank on your back. No, you go sit on the transom and they bring the tank to you, so it is one step and you are in the water. It is the same on water exits, turn around and they take your tank off and carry it to your spot and set it up for the next dive. I like to call it "Truly valet diving".

Room Tip: Pick a ground floor room on the side where the tennis and basketball court is. There is a clothes l...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Skig8r
California
Reviewed September 14, 2012

We went to LCBR for the first time and discovered that we were a minority because almost everyone there was coming back for return visits. Yes, we too will return (hopefully next year!) We got an all inclusive package with 2 dives a day, room and meals. The diving was perfection! Rental equipment was great, dive masters were SAFETY FIRST and quick to help, the meals were different every day with wide variety and delicious, our room was ocean view and we loved it! I can say it was just the best trip at the best place with the best diving! The water was warm and clear, the coral was alive and vibrant and the fish were plentiful. The dive sites took your breath away. We got chased away a day early with the threat of a hurricane but they even handled that so well. We just can't wait to come back!

Room Tip: The ocean view rooms are a bit more but really you want that view!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
#2 of 3 in Cayman Brac
Sunset Cove
Sunset Cove
#1 of 1 in Little Cayman

Been to Little Cayman Beach Resort? Share your experiences!