Southern Cross Club
Le Soleil d'Or(Cayman Brac)
$795
$771
Paradise Villas(Little Cayman)
Sunset Cove(Little Cayman)
No availability for your dates from our partners
Hotels.com
  • Pool
All reviewschef anubarefoot eleganceoutdoor showerowen islandfishing guidedive staffdeep sea fishinghoneymoon bungalowtunapaddle boardingfly fishinggrand caymangreat fishingsunset cruisesmall islandfishing resortrepeat guests
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 4, 2009

My wife and I have stayed at Southern Cross Club at least once a year starting in 2001. SCC advertises "barefoot elegance," and that's exactly what it delivers. My wife and are are avid scuba divers, and the diving on Little Cayman is as good as it gets in the Caribbean, with pristine coral reefs and as big a variety of marine species as can be found anywhere in the Caribbean Sea. But we wouldn't dive there if the accommodations weren't right. We've looked into the four other resorts on Little Cayman. They're all small, unique, and have their own devoted clientele, and we would probably be happy at any of them, but we fell in love with Southern Cross on our first trip. We've met many guests there who we've made friends with, and we coordinate our annual trip(s) there to be with them and dive with them, so it's like a reunion every time we go. It's the same way with the staff at Southern Cross. Before our first trip was over (2001), we knew everyone by their first names. Several of those staff members are still there, and we keep up with them during the year. It's just that kind of place where friends are made. The rooms are fairly simple, but they're clean and very comfortable, the AC works very well, and wi-fi Internet access is free. If you just have to have TV, there's one in the bar, but we don't miss it at all.

A few other comments:
Crowds: Forget it. If every resort room was filled, plus the full-time residents, the island might have a population of 300 people maximum.

Diving. The diving is awesome. I do underwater photography, and most of my competition winners were shot on Little Cayman, including one very special shot that was published in National Geographic Magazine. Southern Cross has a superb dive boat, and for the very rare times when more than 8-10 divers are going out, they use a second dive boat to make sure the dive boats aren't crowded. Southern Cross does a "valet" dive experience, where the dive boat crews set up your gear and wash and rinse your gear after diving, a really nice touch. I've had a bad back for many years, and the dive crews have been fantastic in helping me enter and exit for diving without straining my back. I can't say enough good things about them. And if there's some particular fish or critter you want to see, just tell the divemaster, and it's pretty likely that he'll find it for you. And by the way, I've dived all over the world, and Bloody Bay Wall on Little Cayman tops every wall dive in the world, no contest for sheer drama and spectacular vertical drop into the depths.

Food: I have to go on a diet after every trip to Southern Cross! The food is too good not to eat every bite. Breakfast and lunch are first-rate buffets. For dinner, you have your choice of at least two appetizers and entrees, plus several all-you-can-eat desserts. And did I mention the hot, fresh-baked cookies at lunch?

Ambience: Laid-back, casual luxury. We don't pack anything more formal than shorts, T-shirts, and sandals. Little Cayman is the kind of place where few people even lock their door. Southern Cross will give you a room key if you want one, but most people don't bother. Just relax and take it easy for a week. Actually, my wife and I were so seduced by Little Cayman and Southern Cross that we now stay for two weeks, and it's still hard to leave. By the way, the island's inhabitants include several published authors, and any of these fascinating folks will be very happy to chat with visitors for the price of a drink!

So that's my brief take on Little Cayman Island and the Southern Cross Club. A magical island and a very special resort, we'll be going back until we're too old and senile to find our way there.

NOTE: If you like crowds and noise, lots of shopping, and sophisticated nightlife, you should begin or end your trip with a night on Grand Cayman. You won't get any of these things on Little Cayman (thank goodness!).

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
7  Thank jimc1946
Reviewed July 27, 2009

We just returned from SCC and it was heaven on earth. Beautiful rooms, great food, the nicest staff, great dive operation!! Among the nicest places we've stayed anywhere!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jexy
Reviewed June 15, 2009

My husband and I went to SCC to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. Every member of the staff was attentive and thoughtful. The dive masters Clive and Chris were incredibly adept at identifying interesting finds-we saw a rich assortment of reef life-rays, turtles, hamlets, spotted drums, octopus, eels, scorpion fish, and even a frog fish (eagle eye Clive). They made a point to go to sites that we had requested or that they knew we would enjoy based on topography. My husband loves swin throughs and I wall diving. Beyond setting up our tank the first day there was no need to tough or equipment any further--the dive masters took care of everything. The food exceeded our expectation, was well prepared, and there was a great variety of offerings. The kitchen/wait staff (overseen by Ron) was courteous and took great care of us. On our anniversary they even set us up a table for two on the beach with candle light and tiki torches. Our outside shower on the porch of the honeymoon cottage was a delight. We awoke each day looking at the beach and the torquoise water of the bay. We went for time alone, to dive, and relaxation and had an amazing time.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank VTdivers
Reviewed May 12, 2009

My wife and I spent our second year anniversary at SCC and has a ball. The diving is incredible...bloody bay wall is just indescribably cool. SCC is small, intimate and quiet. I would not recommend going if you do not dive, because I think it would be a little slow. If you do dive, best place I can imagine.

Ask for Fireworks.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HeelDiver
Reviewed April 5, 2009

The Southern Cross Club is a wonderfully relaxing resort with a fantastic staff. My husband and I are divers and have been to several places in the Caribean. The diving on Little Cayman was the best we have experienced. Very healthy reef. Bloody Bay Wall was amazing! The dive masters at Southern Cross were great. Everything is taken care of for you! Well equiped, uncrowded boats, a hut to hang your wetsuits to dry on the dock, etc. Bikes (a bit rickety, but they worked) and kyaks were provided and it was fun to use both. We recommend riding a bike to feed bananas to the big iguanas. One of the staff can tell you where to find them - it was about a 15 or 20 minute bike ride just past the airport.

The bungalows at Southern Cross are right on the beach. No TVs, clocks or phones - just amazing views of the ocean right from your porch! All meals are included and the food was very good. Plenty of variety in the five nights we were there. Some dinners were buffet, some plated where you made your dinner selection from a limted menu at lunchtime.

We heard that most guests here are repeat visitors and we will defintely be back to Little Cayman and Southern Cross Club.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple