“We still have that "vacation feeling" for a month afterwards...every time!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Little Cayman
Southern Cross Club
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Little Cayman
Scottsdale, Arizona
“We still have that "vacation feeling" for a month afterwards...every time!”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

SCC is our exclusive choice for scuba diving every year, since we certified in open water diving there 11 years ago. Outstanding water clarity, untouched marine-park fish and coral, world-famous wall diving, white sand beaches with the lagoon's own unique color of aqua, outstanding service and staff:guest ratio, great food, and great fishing, whether you like deep sea or lagoon, rod-and-reel or fly, bone fish or the big ones. The best combination of private, social, active, quiet, or romantic...you choose.

Room Tip: Ask for the honeymoon suite for your own private little corner of the beach.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kay P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Atlanta
Reviewed July 20, 2012

I made my first trip to SCC this year and had a wonderful time. The place is small enough that the staff get to know your name, and most of the guests are returning customers who come multiple times each year. Dive guide Mike is an expert at marine biology, and obviously has a great passion for reef-life and diving. The owner was there for the first part of my stay, and we had a good time speaking with him at dinner one night. He put on a great fireworks show as a combo celebration of American Independence Day, anniversary of the Caymanian Constitution, and Canada Day.

One note on Nitrox - they will provide it, but most guests don't use it, and on my next trip I won't either. They don't do Nitrox fills on-site - they get the bottles from another resort on the island - which involves extra work for them and an extra charge ($15/tank during my trip) for us. Much of the diving is in fairly shallow water - on most of my dives I spent the last 30 minutes within 30 feet of the surface.

Another note is, they only have really small bars of soap for the bathrooms (maybe, half the size of what I get at a Hampton Inn?). They'll provide as many as you want, but the bar was so small I dropped it frequently. Next time I'll bring my own. I do like the shampoo and conditioner they have. Also, there were plenty of outlets in my room, which was great for re-charging our ever-growing number of rechargeable batteries!

Overall, I really like this place; I enjoy going to places that don't get mass tourism and that are informal and low-key. If you enjoy that kind of travel as well, in addition to great diving, I think you will enjoy Southern Cross Club.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank parrotfish91
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Impossiblly vibrant colors of the sea, soft white sand and the friendliest people anywhere is just the start of a long list of the wonderful things about visiting the Southern Cross Club on Little Cayman Island.

I first visited the Southern Cross Club in 2001 and have returned many, many times staying weeks at a time. Every trip just gets better. As an underwater photographer, the incredible dive sites and always helpful dive staff allows me to catch unusual shots and critters most divers miss. Although I've been diving all over the world, Little Cayman remains the most enjoyable place to dive.

Topside the Southern Cross Club excels in its charm and warmth. As a solo traveler I've never felt uncomfortable thanks to the small community feel of the island. And I've made great friends with other guests and staff at the Southern Cross.

The food is excellent, although I'm quite sure that they must put something in the food because I have more restful sleep there than anywhere else - even home. Naps in the hammock, sea breezes at night and no worries make it the ideal place to truly relax and enjoy nature at its finest.

It's a small island so it's definitely NOT the place for high maintenance personalities. But if you love true natural beauty, exploring the rich nature of a location and getting to know some of the most interesting people you'll ever meet this is the place to go. And being a small island means you may get the opportunity to chip in and help be it scooping Tarpon off the road after a torrential rain (ask about that story when you're there!) or helping to install the solar panels at the Central Carribean Marine Institute Research Center.

I've chosen to become a part of the island as much as I can when I'm there and have incredible memories and cherished friendships because of my choices. Others prefer to retreat and just relax. You can do either. No matter which path you choose, Little Cayman and the Southern Cross Club will become a special place to you too.

Room Tip: No bad rooms here - all are right on the sandy beach with spectacular view of the ocean.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Charlotte H
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I have been coming to SCC for many years, and they have never failed to provide outstanding resort/diving experience. From the minute I arrive at the airport, I don't have to worry about a thing!!!! The staff go out of their way to be helpful, and are friendly. The SCC staff have graciously tracked down my lost luggage, dealt with my goofy food allergies, and repaired broken equipment with a "no worries" attitude that I just haven't experienced anywhere else.
SCC has a beautiful sand beach...no shoes for me!!! It is quiet and relaxing-no one will bother you while you snooze in a hammock or sunbathe in a lounge chair. I forgot my ipad in the club house at lunch... went backup to get it in a panic....it was right where I left it-you don't find that kin of environment just anywhere!!
The food is excellent-breakfast is made to order with options for eggs, omelets, pancakes etc....just ask, and they will make it for you!!
Lunch offers really tasty soup, salad made to order etc....the dinners are wonderful. I personally enjoy the sreened in gazebo style dining area where I feel the ocean breeze and can look at the water while dining! The chefs are always careful to inquire about my food allergies (several are quite severe).
The dive masters are wonderful!! They work really hard to provide fun and exciting dives, while ensuring safety standards for all. The dive masters often assist guests with equipment repairs, and are very patient and helpful with novice divers. Underwater, they frequently point out wonderful fish and critters for everyone to enjoy and photograph.
If you want a vacation that is relaxing and stress free, give SCC a try! It really is "barefoot elegance" at it's best!!!

• Stayed May 2012
6 Thank Scubared59
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Once again, another great visit to SCC. This little gem is fast becoming my home from home, the service is personal, friendly and pitched just right. Special thanks as always to the wonderful Fernando for his excellent cocktails -- remembering my favourites from my visit last year!! Great diving with Mike, Christian and Justine, who lead some excellent dives and even repaired my gear when it malfunctioned. the setting is glorious and the diving is spectacular, but it really is the people who make Southern Cross so fantastic -- Managers Jen and Neil are slick and professional and the front of house team are great, they are very good at helping you to enjoy your trip your way. As a single traveller I felt welcomed by friendly staff and guests, but was allowed to enjoy peaceful solitude as well. What can I say... I can't wait for my next trip

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Phoenix_Dewinter
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Another year and another visit to our favourite resort Southern Cross Club. Thanks to everyone for once again making our stay with you a special one. More memories to store up and recall over grey days at home. Diving was excellent as always .There is always something new to see and Mike Christian Justine and Henry look after us so well. Food great , nothing is too much trouble for the kitchen who will do there best to accommodate any food intolerance or dislikes on the daily menu. After so many visits it feels like home, getting off the plane and being greeted by a friendly face and taken to our room. We've tried them all over the years and each is special in it's own way. Unpack and just kicks off your shoes ......

Room Tip: Hard to choose . The upstairs rooms have wonderful views across the Sound.The older cottages have c...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jumierah
Clifton Park, New York
Reviewed June 2, 2012

For my 60th birthday, I have splurged on an "exclusive" Dive and Fish Resort on Little Cayman: The "Southern Cross Club". It is advertised as an all inclusive resort, but turns out to be more "ex"-clusive than expected.
We arrive at the airport on April 28 and, to our surprise, the previously arranged resort pick-up van leaves without us. I ask the help of the "Little Cayman Beach Resort" shuttle driver, who is very nice and calls our driver, to come back to pick us up.
Upon check-in at the front desk, the girl does not know our name, even though we are the only guests, arriving on this flight. Our two-story beach "bungalow" is very nice, located right in the sand. The air conditioner is not working, but the maintenance man comes to reprogram the remote. Next we want to use the outdoor hot tub. It is a 4 person hot tub, smaller than what we have at home. Unfortunately, most of the jet controls are broken and somebody had turned off the heater.
At dinner time, it is pouring rain, and the resort does not have any umbrellas. We are about 150 yards from the restaurant and I am not looking forward to eat dinner in wet clothes. The restaurant is the next surprise: a round screened-in room with the plain atmosphere of an airport departure lounge. Blank walls without any kind of pictures or maritime decor. Dinner is a very mediocre affair, with bland, warmed-up frozen food and water or Cool Aid (!!) included! Not very romantic and down right annoying, when considering the price tag of $ 600 per night. Let's see what to-morrow brings.
<!--more-->
On our first night, I notice the broken or missing mosquito screens in our room. This means that we can not sleep with the Caribbean breeze coming through the windows, but sleep with the noisy air conditioner instead. Loud foot steps wake us up at 6 AM and do not stop for one whole hour. Apparently, our cement building was constructed after Hurricane Ivan. It must have been built with cheap material. I am hungry now and am looking forward to a nice breakfast buffet in our expensive resort. Next surprise: no real orange juice, no fruit, no fresh bread, no honey or jam. Instead: packaged jelly portions ( as usually seen in a budget hotel), warmed up rolls from the freezer and frozen Lender's bagels. The only thing remotely reminding me that this is supposed to be a resort, is the friendly man from India, who makes us an omelette. The next 3 mornings we have the same rolls, jelly and bagels on the menu. Lunch is a single cooked meal "choice", with sausages and cabbage on the menu the next day. Tough luck, if one does not care for this. Dinner selections are chosen at breakfast time, but do not get any better. Gabi, my spouse and personal gourmet chef, figures out that the "Southern Cross" serves the cheapest food possible, including cabbage or rice from the day before.
After 2 days, we are just looking for a sandwich (not one of the lunch options). When approached, the staff is very helpful: we have a tuna sandwich for lunch and a cheese burger for dinner. Good food, but certainly not worth the price we are paying.
Back to the sleeping situation. On Sunday, the assistant manager is on duty. I inquire if we could move to an upper level unit or to one of the single story bungalows. The answer is yes, as long as we pay another $75 per night. This really is an insult. I am paying 600 USD per night for 2 people, and I would expect to have a night of peaceful sleep included in this price.
Wrong assumption!
We are trying to take a siesta Sunday afternoon. Nice try: the housekeeper is in the unit above us and the foot steps keep us awake again. Monday night, the new guests above us come back to the room at midnight and go to the bath room at 3 AM. Guess what happened to our blissful quiet paradise? More foot steps and no sleep, of course.
The pool maintenance guy has 2 days off, and no chlorine is in the pool or hot tub. The pool towels are rags, in need of replacement. One afternoon, 3 Filipino employees are occupying the 4 person hot tub. We wait our turn. I wonder how much they are paying for the privilege. The next day the resort's water pump gets repaired. The water from the tap in our room is brown, and I do not want to use it to make coffee. There are no umbrellas at the pool or beach. It would have been nice to flee from the dull dining room and have our meals al fresco by the pool.
After experiencing 3 days of poor sleep and poor food, I decide that I do not want to celebrate my birthday here. I change our flight back to Grand Cayman, and we leave the "Southern Cross".
We have stayed in some nice places (as the reader can re-live on our travel website), including remote island resorts in Indonesia, Thailand, North and South Pacific Islands.
The "Southern Cross Club" in Little Cayman gets my Gold Medal for the most over-priced resort, we have experienced in our travels around the globe. Bad food, poor sleep and you can not swim of the rocky beach (obviously not the resort's fault).
Among other things, we are missing are a salad bar, real juice, fresh bread, any type of hamburger or sandwiches. There are no snacks, no 4 o'clock tea, ice cream or cheeses. Not even any fresh fish, which we see in the fish market on Grand Cayman, only 30 minutes away. In summary, the "Club" provides the traveler with a budget experience at a luxury price.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
19 Thank Lothar S
INtoLC, Owner at Southern Cross Club, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
I apologize this response is a bit lengthy, but the review necessitates my input and opinion. I will try to address each issue in order.
As the proud owner and operator of what is considered to be one of the top rated fish, dive and relax resorts in the Caribbean, it is deflating to read a report like this one on Trip Advisor. If a guest books a trip to Little Cayman and the Southern Cross Club (SCC) and does not understand what we, as an island community and resort experience, can and cannot offer, it can be uncomfortable for our staff and other guests. Thankfully, this is a very rare occasion. Little Cayman is a small friendly, safe island of a few hundred people 85 miles from the shops, cruise ships, restaurants and bustle of Grand Cayman. SCC’s 13 beach bungalow environment is low density, friendly, unique, relaxed and open. Our many great friends and many time repeat guests have offered their testimony and documented their love of SCC very well and honestly in their Trip Advisor postings and gallery of photographs. It is worth mentioning there is another Trip Advisor review from a another guest who was at SCC the same week as this review. Quite a different experience between the two reviews. We do not want to imitate Grand Cayman, and would lose our best friends and loyal following if we tried. Anyone reading Trip Advisor, visiting our web site, speaking to our reservations office or planning their valuable vacation experience would know this. The useful reports and photographs found here offer testimony and first hand experiences so anyone not familiar with our club or our treasured island community can decide if it is their kind of place before stepping off the plane. This reviewer was apparently surprised by Little Cayman and the Southern Cross Club. After trying very hard over a 3 day period to provide the couple who posted this review with what they were expecting, we agreed to offer them a full refund for the unused portion of their stay and book them a room on Grand Cayman, where they were apparently happier. This is unprecedented for us given our strong belief in the “Barefoot Luxury” value we offer our guests, but it was not worth the stress to the staff or the negativity bleeding through to the other guests who were there to truly enjoy the Southern Cross Club, Little Cayman experience. The refund, under these circumstances, was a mistake. I was shocked to tears to see they had written this review in Trip Advisor. We work for, and I believe deserve, our #1 rating, and still we always strive to improve. We always want to offer the best possible product and value for what we are and who we try to be. I am proud of the Southern Cross Club, and I will put the quality of my product, and my entire staff up against any resort, anywhere.
To say I disagree with our guests claims is an understatement. The review is at times not accurate and often disingenuous. The review is not so telling in what it says, but to me and my staff, what it did not say. I am so sorry the couple’s vacation was not what they expected, especially since it was an occasion. Apologies are owed whenever deserved, and those deserved are offered here. However, for some of the accusations and claims, I will respectfully submit some additional facts and explanations.
Arrival:
Southern Cross Club’s (SCC) front office assistant was indeed at the small grass lined Little Cayman airport terminal to pick up our guests, as we always do. She was there with the plane’s arrival in our van with a Southern Cross Club logo on the side, and she was wearing a Southern Cross Club STAFF shirt. Usually this is enough for identity purposes. She indeed spoke with our 2 new guests as they deplaned asking if they were going to SCC. They responded no. I can only assume, since English is not the native language of either party, there was a loss of communication. If this is the case, I do apologize to our guests that there was a miscommunication. She left thinking they had not arrived on their scheduled flight and returned as soon as she was called. We should take responsibility for this, and will. My only defense is to say this is the first time in my 17 years with the Southern Cross Club this has been an issue.
SCC is a small, top rated, “high end,” fish, dive and relax resort. Our managers and front office staff, get to know the first name of most, if not all, of our guests. Our staff is trained to be friendly and approachable, but never overbearing. I am sure there are times when a name is forgotten, and I will again apologize to this guest if our check in assistant did not know their names on arrival. We should, and usually do, know this. Our guests are our friends and we are the host. Knowing each guests first name is important to maintaining this friendship.
Hot Tub:
Our six (6) person hot tub has always worked well for our small resort. Our pool and pool side hot tub are maintained daily. Pool and hot tub maintenance, water treatment, and cleaning is never skipped for a day because someone is off. In the Caribbean, where it can get hot, we do occasionally have a guest ask for the heater to be turned down, or even off. If a few of our jets were not working, I will apologize for the poor mechanical maintenance. More inexcusably for SCC, if a few staff members were using the hot tub to the detriment of our guest(s), I very sincerely apologize, and promise this will never happen again.
Rain Umbrellas:
The few rain umbrellas we had were certainly inadequate for the number of guests we had in house during the hard rain our guest mentioned. Twenty five (25) new, wind proof, oversized “golf” umbrellas are on order for the (thankfully few) days it does indeed rain during the year. Our guest again deserves an apology that the plastic liner rain cover-alls we provided were not adequate.
Maintenance:
I will also sincerely apologize if the hole in our guests window screen was not fixed in a timely manner. Prompt, polite and efficient maintenance should be expected, even on a small island like Little Cayman. In our defense, the hole in the screen was pointed out to management the day before our guest’s departure leaving little opportunity to fix the issue.
Dinning Pavilion:
I will not apologize for our outside, screened dinning pavilion that is described as an “airport lounge”. It is simple, clean and elegant with beautiful views of our beach and sea, including breathtaking views of the clean, clear water of South Hole Sound. Since virtually the entire wall space is screened, there are no walls to hang pictures, but pictures would be a distraction from the beauty of the reality. It is the preferred dinning venue for all (I guess I need to say the vast majority) of our guests.
Our Dinning Experience:
Southern Cross Club’s menu, for breakfast, lunch and dinner, is excellent. We are not, and do not claim to be, gourmet. We serve fresh fish whenever available. Thankfully, there is no commercial fishing on Little Cayman vibrant marine ecosystem, so fresh fish is usually determined by what we catch through our in house fishing program. If a guest has dietary concerns, or has a special request we will always, for any meal, cook whatever we reasonably can, including custom orders. Thankfully, and for good reason, this is very seldom an issue. But if it is, the option is always offered. I am happy the tune fish sandwich and hamburgers that were ordered were satisfactory. These are not typical items on our otherwise excellent dinner menu, but I am happy they found them satisfying. Our food is not cheap, we do not cut corners, and we are all proud of our kitchen team and our product. I very honestly believe, especially given our remote location and competitive pricing, the Southern Cross Club offers excellent food and an outstanding value for the dollar. I believe this is confirmed by the host of positive reviews and 5 star ratings found in other Trip Advisor submissions and I would encourage viewers to read past reviews and look at the pictures submitted in our gallery.
A more detailed explanation of our food offerings:
Besides our breakfast buffet, our breakfasts can be made to order, including pancakes, waffles, eggs, bacon, and sausage. The breakfast buffet includes fresh cut fruits, an omelet station for made to order omelets, fresh and store bought breads and bagels, and a nice selection of jellies, honey, tea, fruit juices and coffee.
Lunch is a buffet offering multiple choices of soup, salads, a daily salad station (not a salad bar, but rather a daily custom salad made by one of our chefs to order), breads, and a hot entree. If our offerings are not satisfactory, our exemplary kitchen staff will always custom prepare anything we can reasonably provide on request. We also have a “bar menu” with different fresh salads, soups, ceviche, and even a lionfish taco.
Every dinner comes with a choice of 2 appetizers, 2 entrees, and 3 deserts. Again, I believe our food is excellent, and something we are all proud of, and cannot apologize for. I will be sure to post on our web page the weeks menu from the week in question for this review so those researching our resort can can have a good understanding of what it is we offer.
Our Bungalows:
We depend heavily on feedback from our guests and we encourage constructive criticism. I am aware of one other comment of another guest being heavy footed in an upstairs bungalow as this review suggested. I will apologize for the inconvenience experienced if there was noise from another guest in the upstairs unit. I will most definitely look into the issue, and if needed, fix the problem. The private Honeymoon bungalow was available when our guest explained his noise issue to management. He was told there is normally a $75/day up charge for the Honeymoon bungalow, but it would not apply to him if he would prefer the room change. Since there was no one in the room above their bungalow the second evening of their stay and the couple said they were “settled,” they decided to stay put. If our explanation of his options was confusing or unclear in any way, I again apologize.
Deck Umbrellas:
There are indeed umbrellas for our pool deck furniture. If the weather is inclement, especially if it is windy, we cannot put these umbrellas up or they would potentially blow over. If it is raining, as a rule, we do not put the table umbrellas up.
The last 2 paragraphs contain some comments that I think are wrong and unfairly insulting. As mentioned above, I am proud of our kitchen and the food quality we provide our guests. The quality of our mattresses, room design, passive and forced temperature control, and the ocean view from each of our bungalows provides a quality of sleep and tranquility that can be found very few places in the world.
Our 900’ of white sand beach has no rocks, although it is true, it is not suitable for swimming. Rather it is considered an excellent fishing beach for the bonefish that “tail” daily just off our beach’s edge. For a swimming beach we send our guests to Point of Sand, or over to Owen Island - a deserted 11 acre island that is a beautiful and easy swim or kayak just off our shore, or to one of the snorkeling sites dappled around Little Cayman’s 23 mile shoreline.
We always have snacks on the bar for all our guests, and on certain evenings, usually Wednesdays and Fridays, put out free appetizers that might include fresh caught tune, fritters, or other hot “tooth pick” foods.
We do not currently offer fresh squeezed orange juice, as the review lamented, but to say the Southern Cross Club is a budget experience for a luxury price is, in my opinion, misleading, inaccurate, insulting and slanderous. Our rates start at $550 dbl occ and include everything but the bar, gift shop and activities. US$275 per person per day for a very well maintained property with a low density 13 all ocean view beach bungalow environment, a 1.2:1 guest to staff ratio, all meals, service charge, hotel tax, and all the resort amenities.
If anyone has questions, or would like any other information, please feel free to contact me through our web page. I am very proud of my resort, and I know we are an excellent value for the fantastic experience we provide.
Peter Hillenbrand
#1 of 1 in Little Cayman
The Villas at Sunset Lane
The Villas at Sunset Lane
#6 of 15 in St. John's

Been to Southern Cross Club? Share your experiences!