“Another Great Trip to Little Cayman”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Little Cayman
Pirates Point Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Little Cayman
Reviewed December 15, 2013

This was my third trip, in 9 years to this resort. I know the staff must have their "trade tricks" but they all remembered my name. A very nice feeling. This is a small, remote, scuba diving oriented resort. If you are not into great scuba diving....please reread their website. Amazingly...this remote dive resort has some of the best food I have ever enjoyed....not just at a dive resort. Comfortable, remote and home...with amazing chef's. There is no room service...the fitness center is the ocean, beach and bike paths.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Rebel12520

Reviewed November 25, 2013

This was our fourth trip to Pirates Point in Little Cayman, and we are already booked for April 2014. We love it there, the dive operation is first rate, the gourmet food is absolutely delicious and plentiful and we meet other divers each trip with common interests and diving styles. My husband and I are no longer "Rambo" divers, so the 2-a-day dive profile fits us well. The resort offers two long morning dives, all divers use computers, so there is no rush or time limit to complete the dive, we usually run out of air time. The coral reefs are really great and the fish life and turtles are plentiful. Lionfish are becoming less prolific, so the juvenile reef fish population is replenishing and returning in force to the reefs. We saw more juveys this trip than prior trips. The Caymans are known for turtles, and we see them on most every dive. All the dive masters are experts at little critter hunting, jawfish, pipefish, blennies, arrowcrab, peppermint shrimps, an occasional sea horse, you name it. Late April weather is usually nice with water temps around 80 degrees. We are big fans of the owner, Gladys Howard, and the rest of the staff, all of whom have been there for years. Very professional operation and they make you feel at home and very glad to be there. There are only 10 rooms at the resort so the maximum number of divers you would encounter is 20. It's just a perfect little jewel of a resort and dive operation.

Room Tip: Ocean view cottages do not have A/C. There are some A/C rooms if you prefer. Normally, the ocean b...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 19, 2013

First time their. Older crowd. Food was excellent, very accomodating as I was a non meat eater. Large clean room ocean view. Staff was excellent small all multi tasked and did it well. Ed was a little to talkative for my liking.
Diving was good ,team very professional. Quality of dive snakc could be up graded a bit. Galdys was a hoot. We celebrated Mary's birthday in style. Met some very nice folks. Lots of repeaters. The cold face cloth at the airport was a nice touch. Thanks Gay. Also under no circumstances are you to give Diane coffee or any type of caffine. Also recomend you learn to play dominos before going as that is after dinner sport before turning in at 9PM. The serenity of the ocean and early 5am mornings was great. Also bring money to bet on crab races. Make sure you take time to tour the Island. Also practice spelling PATHETIC for Martha. Would highly recomend. Gladys is the queen of the Island. Make sure you pack your sense of humor and bring toxic waste candies for staff.

Room Tip: Ocean rooms are lovely. No AC but ocean breezes and fans make it happen.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 17, 2013

The one and only Gladys Howard continues to reign over this small (10 room) unique all-inclusive dive lodge. The antithesis of manufactured "luxury", this place is warm, welcoming, and populated mostly by repeat customers, some of whom have been coming yearly for a decade or more.

Diving is on the best sites Little Cayman has to offer. The food prepared by Jeff and Diane is delicious and plentiful. After breakfast, divers are taken to the Yellow Rose, a clean, well-equipped Newton for a two-tank trip. Depth limits but no time limits are enforced. We routinely did 65-70 minute dives. Divers may opt for guided dives or "do your own thing". The dive staff is excellent, and will help guests to tweak their buoyancy control and other skills where needed.

We usually returned around 2 PM for a full lunch, then a few hours of relaxation, biking on the free but very basic bikes, or socializing. Happy hour at 6:30 is followed by dinner at 7:30, served buffet style with entrees such as beef filet, yellowfin tuna with grapefruit beurre blanc, barbecue night (ribs and chicken), wahoo, all with varied and tasty sides and homemade desserts. After dinner there's coffee in the bar (it's DEEECAFFF) and the house game is Mexican train dominoes. Meals are communal at tables of six and people tend to rotate dinner partners and get to know everyone.

Other than diving, relaxing and socializing with other guests, you can explore the tiny island on foot, scooter or bike. Fishing trips are available. If you like, construct a piece of art to add to the decor in the bar from driftwood, flotsam, and the paint and glue provided. The winner of a yearly contest gets a free week.

If you are looking for other kinds of entertainment, this may not be your kind of resort, or your kind of island. If this sounds good to you, give this place a try. It is one of a vanishing breed.

Room Tip: The AC rooms are not directly on the ocean, but number 5 and 6 are on the beach with nothing but a f...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Everything about Pirates Point was fantastic.....the diving, the dive masters, the food, the rooms etc. A special thanks to Gay and Martha for working with me on my buoyancy and to Diane and Jeff....we miss your delicious meals. We stayed in a lovely large ocean front room without air conditioning . It was fine for me with a nice ocean breeze and a magnificent view. It was the second week of June and on the edge for my husband who would book an air conditioned room if we came to Pirates Point in the summer.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AMcgConneticut
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I've been to Pirates Point twice and both times have been fantastic.

Food:
Normally the food on a dive vacation isn't anything to write home about, but the meals at Pirates Point are stunning. I don't usually eat as well at good restaurants in the states and this is on a remote island. I really don't know how they manage to get such good food down there.

Staff:
The staff are all very warm and friendly. Another unusual thing is that the dive masters are also the wait staff. The diving on Little Cayman is excellent and the dive masters are very conscientious and know their stuff.

Facilites:
The rooms are adequate and the main building comfy. It's all very Caribbean funky and nothing too fancy, it is after all primarily a dive location and honestly you shouldn't be spending much time in your room or indoors.

Pirates Point is a real gem, I'll be coming back for a third time.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Brian W
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I cannot say enough good words to describe the week that I spend at Pirates Point Resort on Little Cayman Island. Everything I do, which includes resting, relaxing, scuba diving, eating gourmet food, swimming in the beautiful water and meeting new people as well as seeing the friends(staff) again that I have gotten to know over the years, is a wonderful experience! I know when I get there that I will be well taken care if the entire week! I always look forward to the next visit and feel at home when I land in the little plane and see the familiar Pirates Point van there to pick me up!

• Stayed: August 2013
#2 of 3 in Cayman Brac
Sunset Cove
Sunset Cove
#1 of 1 in Little Cayman

Been to Pirates Point Resort? Share your experiences!