Pirates Point Resort
Le Soleil d'Or(Cayman Brac)
$450
$437
Southern Cross Club(Little Cayman)
Sunset Cove(Little Cayman)
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
All reviewsdive boatmexican traingreat divinggreat foodother guestssushibloody bay wallgrand caymanevery mealyear after yearair consumptionlaid backdive stafffamily atmospherenew friendsrepeat customersinteresting people
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I have just returned from another fantastic trip to Pirates Point Resort on Little Cayman Island ... for the FORTH time!! I absolutely love this place ... the slow pace, the same familiar faces of the incredible staff who are there year-after-year, the food that is indescribable (and yes, you will gain weight!) and diving that's out of this world! All of the staff has been working at this resort for many years, and most of them wear several different hats. From the moment I stepped off the plane I was met by smiling and happy staff members - each one remembering me from past trips and greeting me as if I was family - not as an unknown guest. There were lots of hugs as I ran into each of the amazing staff. I love this resort because of it's small size ... this gives me the feeling of "home" and it allows each of the guests to get to know each other - new friends are formed every single time I visit! I love the way all of the guests eat together and are summoned to the dining area by the 'gong' of a mallet being hit against an old scuba tank. Each and every meal is an experience in itself! There is ample food, good variety, and superb presentation. The dining area is set up with the expectation of royalty coming to dine. When it's time to head out to dive for the day, all the divers meet at the front of the resort with their dive bags ready and everyone rides a short ride to the dive boat in very nice, air conditioned vans. The tanks are already on board and our dive bags are moved to the boat and loaded for us. We set up our equipment prior to leaving the dock and can sit back to enjoy the short ride to the dive sites. The dive boat is amazing and totally set up for diving. Getting into the water is a breeze, with the dive staff assisting us from where our gear is located to the edge of the flat decked boat. It simply doesn't get any easier than this!! As soon as I entered the water for each dive I would immediately feel happy and without a care in the world. The diving here is the best I've seen anywhere (and I've dived a LOT over the many years) - this place is the BEST!! The walls are totally breathtaking, the visibility is excellent, the dive staff is incredibly knowledgeable and give us ideas of what to keep our eyes open to see, AND, they are continually pointing things out to us along our dives. The dive masters are very attentive to each diver and will give you as much help as you want or as little as you desire. I generally hang fairly close to them because they do know how and where to find a lot of hidden treasures and are quick to point them out. The diving is set up so that I can make two long dives during the morning - 70 to 80 minutes per dive - and we generally got back to the resort around 2:30. By then it would be lunch time, time to shower and enjoy the many hammocks, the sound of the rolling ocean waves, the squawking of the local birds and a time to completely relax. Some folks took advantage of the bicycles available for exploring this tiny island, there are scooters & cars that can be rented, a guided information tour is available to learn about the iguanas on this island, and for those who wish to snorkel you can do that right in front of the resort. There is also time to visit prior to dinner with the other guests during the happy hour, and after dinner there was often a friendly game of Mexican Train Dominoes being played by Gladys (the owner) and the guests. The evening would wrap up around 10:00 pm and folks would sit around on the patio to visit, tell stories and enjoy the cool evening breezes. This place is AMAZING and I would highly recommend it to any level diver - new or old - you'll fall in love with Pirates Point Resort. Gay & Ed have been here for the past 25 years and have a second sense as to what the guests need and can almost see them before you know you need anything. Ed has the dive boat in place and ready every morning and Gay is a buoyancy expert who will help you get the right amount of weight for your dives. She's also aware of where the seahorses live & will find them for you! Martha, Michelle, Mike and Bob do such an amazing job of briefing the divers prior to the dives and leading each dive in their own special ways. They also tell wonderful stories during the time between dives. Dianne and Jeff are the master minds in the kitchen and trust me ... you 'want' for nothing when you see the amazing spreads they prepare! As you can tell, I love this place and simply cannot say enough about the operation and it's staff! Pirates Point is TOP NOTCH!! Stephanie Scott

Room Tip: Most rooms have air conditioning, some are cooled by the ocean breeze. If you like the sound of the ocean go for the ocean front rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank StephanieScott
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We just returned home from Pirates Point Resort in Little Cayman & I am having trouble finding the appropriate words to express how amazing this place is. First, the island itself is small, slightly remote & full of beauty. PPR is equally small, remote & beautiful with so much to offer.

The resort is great-the rooms are very clean & welcoming in traditional island theme. Several have AC however we opted for the ocean front rooms without AC & loved the cool (& pretty constant) breeze, not to mention falling asleep & waking up to the peaceful sound of the ocean rolling just a few yards away...it was heaven! Several hammocks about the beach area make for great napping & reading space while the pool & hot tub offer a refreshing dip with the best views of the clear blue water, swaying palms & beautiful sea birds flying by.

The dining area offers the most wonderful food my mouth has ever tasted, every meal...seriously EVERY meal was spectacular!

I found the heart of this resort not to be on the grounds, but rather in the staff itself. You will never find a finer, more committed, or happier staff anywhere. I mean that. These folks LOVE to work for PPR. It is a tight knit, small group of great people that are dedicated to making you comfortable, happy, & down right feel at home.

The diving far surpases any other I have done. I had a diving accident a few years ago & was a bit hesitant to get my fins wet again, even after a refresher course I took shorlty before I left for PPR. I must be honest here, I really thought I would leave the diving up to my hubby & just relax on the boat or one of those fantastic hammocks I spoke of previously. Dive Master Michelle pulled me aside, took TIME to discuss what had happend in my accident & she/we came up with a plan. Michelle, and the entire dive staff, really took their time with me & made me feel so comfortable that I ended up diving SEVEN times! After my first dive, I came up on the boat and compared the diversity, topography & marine life to Disney World. This place has EVERYTHING & never dissapointed us once. AMAZING.

The Staff: They really aren't staff. More like stewards to this special little slice of heaven. Their love of what they do, how they operate as a team at PPR, and their individual contrabutions & talents make for one top notch crew. I have the greatest respect for how they function as a whole & this is evident in how they provide for their guests. Gladys, Gay, Michelle, Bob, Mike, Ed, Diane, Jeff & Martha cheers & a big thank you to each of you!

So, if you are looking for a 'one-of-a-kind' paradise on so many levels I suggest Pirates Point Resort. We hope to return soon!!!!!!

Jessica Smith
Austin, Texas USA

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JessicaPSmith
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Pirates Point Resort is a wonderful place to go for a diving vacation. Pirates Point is staffed by people that make you feel more like family than a customer and go way beyond the expected to make sure you are being well looked after all the time. The food is great - in fact I would like to go back for a part diving and part cooking lesson trip sometime. The diving on Little Cayman is without a doubt very good with excellent reef s and abundant life - Bloody Bay Wall is excellent and is truly filled with all kinds of critters. I have been to a good many places on dive vacations and this is definitely a place that I will be going back for more diving and relaxing. The dive crew is one of the best, if not the best, I have ever experienced. They are so helpful above and below the water. They also let you do your own thing with no strict bottom time limits and just ask that you dive your computer. I will definitely be going back....soon.

It would be unfair to single out a single staff member as they are all great and are what makes the resort so wonderful. I would thank Gay for working with me to drop several pounds of weights needed for diving.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank CMJ49
Reviewed June 14, 2013

This was our fourth trip to Pirates Point, and that in itself is a huge deal. We have been diving all over the world for many years, and this is the only place we have been to more than once. The staff: Gracious Gay the Divemaster Guru (who always finds a seahorse); Mysterious Michelle; Mike "da man" - too cool; Martha (who loves to fly over the Wall); Bob ("stay with your buddy even if you are in 15 feet under the boat!"); the chefs Dazzling Dianne and Jeff the Joker ("okay, it's hot dogs tonight - do you want wheat or white buns?" ) and of course Everready Bunny Ed who keeps everything mechanical running. Gladys the owner is of course simply a legend.
All kidding aside, these eight people are what makes Pirate's Point run like a well oiled machine. This is a wonderful, laid back place where you can do two long dives and eat incredibly prepared food. Wonderful service is what the whole place is about. If you so choose, a dive master will be with you on every dive, pointing out all the little critters that are so hard to find. I think what makes PPR the gold standard is the professionalism and kindness of the staff. They are patient with novice divers and have helpful advice for experienced divers.
Oh, did I mention the food? There are 3 simple reason why we continue to return to Pirate's Point: the cuisine, the staff and the diving. We are talking a gourmet extravaganza here - for all three meals - breakfast, lunch and dinner.
So if you want to visit a unique, intimate little place where you get to know your fellow divers and want to enjoy a laid back dive trip - this is the place. We already have our reservations for 2014!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Melissa N
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We have just completed our seventh trip to Pirates Point and are already making plans to return next year. What brings us back, year after year? Little Cayman still has that relaxing, laid back, non-commercial feeling that has become a rare commodity in the Caribbean.

We return, year after year, because of:
- unspoiled dive sites
- delicious food (and lots of it)
- the opportunity to meet congenial divers from all over who share our passion for diving in a relaxed and informal setting; and
- a friendly, caring, accomplished team of staff members who we are proud to call friends.

I've written other reviews about Pirates Point that have praised the diving and food, but I want this review to focus on the people who make Pirates Point special.

Gladys Howard, the owner, was unfortunately not on the island during our stay and was sorely missed. Gladys is a larger than life Texan who is the gracious host at most meals and a fierce competitor at the nightly domino games. Even though Gladys was absent this year, the Friday night tradition of champagne and lion fish sushi continued at her lovely beachfront home.

Our fabulous dive masters (Gay, Michelle, Martha, Mike and Bob) each have a unique personality and style both under the water and on land. They are all extremely safety conscious, and strive to make all of their guests better divers. They choose dive sites based on water, wind, and current conditions and in a week of diving, we rarely visited the same sites twice (unless we asked for them!) We had outstanding dives at Meadows, Cumbers Cave, Cocoanut Walk, Nancy's Cup of Tea, Annie's Attic, and Mixing Bowl this year with turtles, eagle rays, barracuda, and sharks providing the drama. We also saw a large variety of grouper, snapper, pipe horses, flamingo tongues, tunicates, grunts, wrasses, trunkfish, trumpet fish, file fish, hamlets, parrot fish, angel fish, and tons of juveniles. In fact, the aquatic population of the reef has increased exponentially now that the Little Cayman divemasters all get together for a weekly lion fish cull. As a result, we saw far fewer lion fish this year than we have in the past four years.

All of the dive masters are also instructors and our son Nick and I have both received our advanced certification here in prior years. Their extra help makes it possible for me to dive safely (with hip and back issues) and they work hard to accomodate guests and make every dive trip fun.

Jeff and Diane do a masterful job in the kitchen, and are always trying to make sure that as a non-meat eater that I am still able to get my fill at every meal. When they are not diving, the dive masters all share the work of serving meals, pouring drinks, helping in the kitchen, running the office, fixing equipment, cleaning rooms, and making sure that Pirates Point runs like a well-oiled machine. These people truly love what they are doing and are among the most dedicated, service-oriented professions we've seen in 25 years of diving.

No wonder we are already eagerly anticipating our return trip in 2014!

Room Tip: Lots of guests like the air conditioned rooms, but we prefer the oceanfront rooms without AC.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family