“Over 100 insect bites on my face and body”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Little Cayman
Pirates Point Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Little Cayman
San Francisco, California
“Over 100 insect bites on my face and body”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I came back from Pirates Point Resort with over 100 insect bites on my face and body, despite using Off! and a mosquito net, so I find it difficult to recommend. It pains me to write this, because the people who run the resort were incredibly kind and service-oriented. But it’s a certain kind of hell to have 100+ itching bites on your face and body, and know that when you go to bed you’ll wake up with 10-15 more. I've been many places in the Caribbean: the Bahamas, Roatan, Curacao, Grand Cayman, Cayman Brac, Cozumel, Playa Del Carmen, Tulum, Costa Rica’s Cahuita, etc., and have never been eaten alive the way I was at Pirates Point.

Gladys, Pirates Point’s owner, wrote me, “Sorry about the "no see ums", they are like that here when we have not had any rain!” So before booking, consider the season. Also, if mosquitoes “like” you, beware: some of the guests were especially plagued. Bring Cortisone cream, Benadryl cream, and / or Teknu spray for bites.

Most of the bites happened while sleeping. I eventually developed a bedtime strategy: first, kill every bug in the room (the screens on the windows had some small tears). Next, spray my entire body with Off. Also spray Off all over the mosquito netting and directly onto the extra pillows. Then tuck the netting under the Off-treated pillows to ensure that the net forms a seal. Throughout the night, at three hour intervals, turn on the light, and spend 15 minutes locating and killing every bug inside the mosquito net, of which there were always several. Some were tiny biting midges (noseeums) and very hard to spot. Noseeums can crawl right through netting – to kill them with your hands, you must trap them in the netting and smash them or they’ll just fly through and come back for a bloodmeal later. There were mosquitoes inside the net too, as there were some holes at the top. A third insect species looked like tiny black ladybugs (not bedbugs) and I don’t know if these guys were biting me, but I squashed them too, being in an indiscriminate insect-murdering rage by this point.

I also got bitten by noseeums while sitting on the patio in the afternoons, with their characteristic sharp little pinchy bite. After a couple of days, I gave up on sitting outside and stayed in my room or in the bar. I also tried to choose seats in the dining room that were farthest away from the door. Bugs were not a problem on the dive boat or while bicycling.

The owner also mentioned sand fleas; however, on my walks along the beach I didn't get any bites, so I didn't consider them to be a problem.

Thoughts beyond mass insect homicide:

Food: The food is good and plentiful with good variety and healthy options, and it’s prepared with loving care. However, it’s a small island with limited provisioning, so whole wheat bread, for example, is considered a “special food”, as is peanut butter with zero partially-hydrogenated oil. If you want anything specific, anything at all, request it two weeks before you go. They use a lot of cheese, so if you're lactose-intolerant let them know beforehand.

Room: the room was spacious and pleasant and in good condition, painted a pale ice blue with white accents. Not fancy, just nice. The windows at the back of the room looked directly onto the ocean – I was literally 30 feet from the water, and the sounds of surf were wonderful. The room was not air conditioned but AC wasn't needed. My only issue with the room was that the locks were rusted solid on the back door. Although I was assured there’s no crime on the island, as a single female traveler, I prefer a locking door. See photo. Oh, and the screens on the jalousie windows had some tears and partially-effective repairs, which let the bugs in.

Guests: Age demographics skewed to the 60s during my stay. Over half of the guests were a group who return every year – some had returned 14 times! The social dynamic was determined by this group. I noticed as I left that the arriving guests were a lot younger. If you have a preference about age groups you should inquire before booking.

About the owner: Gladys is larger than life, omnipresent in the dining areas, indefatigably chatty, and ultimately endearing. Based on other reviews, I get the idea that she got on a few people’s nerves; I’d gauge the risk as low.

Diving: only two AM dives per day are offered, but having the afternoons off to relax can be a nice change from the typical four-dives-per-day regimen. The boat can’t come to the resort; you have to drive by van to a pier ~2 miles away. The dive staff is extremely supportive of special needs divers, including those over 70 years of age, those with injuries that prevent them climbing into the boat in full gear, etc. Underwater, the reef has collapsed: the 50 to 60 percent coral cover present in the 1970s has plummeted to less than 10 percent; the rest is algae and dead coral. Compared to Indonesia, the Indian Ocean etc., there’s little to see - yes, even Bloody Bay Wall. See photos. In eight dives I saw only one anemone! It’s also disturbing that the divers don’t seem aware of the annihilation. Obviously not the resort’s fault. Oh, and despite what the website says, Nitrox was NOT available.

Beach at resort: Bring water shoes if you want to go in, as it’s rocky. Might be good for kids during summer months, as there seemed to be protected snorkeling areas.

By the end of the trip, the place does grow on you. It’s very peaceful, and it’s relaxing to settle into a daily pattern; stare out at the ocean from your bed; watch all the hermit crabs and lizards and birds; wander the strand looking at shells, brain coral, and other marine life; get in a hammock and read every single book your brought, then start in on the small library left in your room; listen to the surf booming in and hissing back out, and birds chirping; have Mike show you the blue iguanas and feed them flowers. Gaye, Dianne, Mike, Bob, and Gladys are committed to making your stay as nice as possible. There is happiness to be found here, so long as nature is not eating you alive.

Room Tip: Perhaps the air conditioned rooms are better sealed against biting insects, but the oceanfront rooms...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank drustrange

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Strongsville, Ohio
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Staying at Pirates Point Resort was like being a guest at someone's week long house party - relaxed, laid back, excellent food and easy mingling with other guests. Everything about the 10-room resort is casual - from dress to meals. Guests even help themselves to drinks at the bar. Two excellent chefs ensure that meals are delcious and varied. Guests with special dietary requirements were also well taken care of. Two couples from a nearby resort had dinner at our resort one evening and practically swooned over the food. They told us the food where they were staying was nearly inedible - said that nothing but porridge had been served for breakfast that morning. They couldn't believe that while they were eating porridge we had the usual breakfast buffet fare (cereal, yogurt, fresh fruits, pastries, etc) and the special breakfast feature that morning (it changed daily) had been banana crepes! This is not a resort (or island) for folks wanting night life, shopping experiences or luxury. Rooms are large and comfortable and if they don't face the beach - air conditioning is available for a reasonable surcharge. There are no phones, televisions or radios in the rooms. Free wifi is available in and around the clubhouse. The majority of guests come for the diving and some come just to relax and get away from life's usual hectic pace. Besides diving there is snorkeling off the beach, a swimming pool and hot tub, and bikes are available for the taking for those wanting to tour the island. The diving was easy - there were no currents while we were there! Bloody Bay Wall was spectacular and dives on the other side of the island were nice - even a lovely stand of Elk Horn coral on the south side of the island. The resort offers 2 dives a day, but you get to stay down until your tank is at 500 psi - so for people who are not heavy breathers dives can last well over an hour. Heavy breathers wait on the boat until all divers are on board. The only negative of the trip was the no-see-ems. They found some people tastier than others and were a nuisance - even when using the repellent with 30% deet that was in each room. Next time we'll take our own repellent that is 98% Deet!

1 Thank Dor M
Sewell, New Jersey
Reviewed November 18, 2012

It was my first dive trip having just recently been certified to dive. Our friends were going to Little Cayman and have been staying at Pirates Point Resort for over 10 years and with good reason. The accommodations were just perfect. The room was large and very comfortable. The food was beyond fabulous, each meal was for me a new adventure. The staff were like friends and for a new diver I can not say enough about the attention all of the dive masters. The instructional tips they provided helped me to become a better diver and enjoy the incredible dive sites.

In addition to the dives we spent time just walking around the area where we saw many species of birds along with the local iguanas. This was by far the most relaxing and enjoyable vacation my wife and I have ever had and we are already looking forward to returning next year.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Portland, Oregon, United States
Reviewed November 17, 2012

This was our 11th stay at Pirates Point and it continues to excel. For a laid back dive resort with fantastic food and a terrific staff you cannot do better. It attracts a very high level of return visitors which is testimony to how nice it is. If you are a hardcore 4 dives a day person it isn't for you but for 2 great dives at a leisurely pace with dive guides who find all the interesting stuff it is ideal. The kitchen is staffed by 2 great chefs and breakfast, lunch, and dinner are all reliably great. Special needs are dealt with as needed.

Room Tip: You can get either the beachfront rooms which are not airconditioned but have great breezes to keep...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Mammoth Lakes
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Accommodations are spacious and quite comfortable. We were on the beach and the AC worked well. Worth paying extra for. The food, as advertised, is wonderful. Lunch was my favorite with tasty salads and always a delightful entree. A few mosquitos and bug bites the only negative. Saw birds and iguanas on land and very friendly grouper in the ocean. Didn't try the new bicycles but they were always available. A congenial group there to dive with. We had a great time.

Room Tip: Nice ocean breeze most of the time. All the rooms are nice.
1 Thank helena s
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I found Pirates Points by accident while searching the internet and dreaming of taking a vacation. It offers both a relaxing package and a dive package. Since diving was on my bucket list I chose that option. I got certified at home and was excited about trying my new skills on Little Cayman's Bloody Bay Wall. Cannot say enough great things about the dive masters, Gay, Michelle, Mike and Bob. Got hands on support with early dives establishing bouyancy and then the freedom to dive at skill level on progressive dives. The excellent diving service was extended into the dining room and hospitality of the staff and Gladys, Owner/Manager. Coffee was always ready early in the morning (I arose for each sunrise and quiet walk on the beach) and looked forward to Chef Dianne's friendly smile and sincere morning greeting. Both she and Chef Jeff clearly love what they do and it is reflected in the excellent food they prepare daily. Cheff Jeff even invited a guest into the kitchen to observe his sushi preparation for the Friday night cocktail hour in Glady's lovely home. After 2 tank dives daily we had all afternoon to relax and read, swim and snorkle or take a bike ride and look for iguanas. As a single traveler I had a great time meeting, talking and sharing with the other guest both divers and relaxers. Never missed having a TV around or telephones ringing. Stories were shared about favorite dive vacations and diving tips and skills were freely availalbe. I especially liked the pace of the day where we didn't have to be ready for the boat until 9:00 am. This was vacation afterall! I would recommend Pirates Point to anyone, both relaxers and divers, single travelers and couples. There are certain things you are guaranteed if you visit Pirates Point.... excellent service and hosptiality from all staff members, diving experiences that defy description, supurb meals and cocktails, great room services, and the pleasure of meeting Gladys and other friendly diving enthusiast. I too booked another trip as I was checking out for the week. Pirates Point is now my go to dive vacation spot!!

Room Tip: I had the room reserved for single travelers and it had an air conditioner. I was comfortable most...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Ellyn R
Houston, Texas
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We had the most relaxing week at Pirates Point Resort. The main attraction that brings most visitors is the diving in the marine park at Bloody Bay Wall, but what seems to bring most back is the staff. The visibility is around 100' diving in the marine park, it's really beautiful down there with the great visibility and the dive masters pointing as many highlights as they can find. They have Nassau Groupers that are so friendly the divers can stroke and pet them. The dive boat goes out every day and the whole staff rotates as dive masters on the boat except the chefs Jeff and Diane who are busy creating 5 star meals. Mike, Michelle, Bob and Gay are your dive masters on the boat and taking groups down. They are very knowledgeable, experienced and just know what they are doing. The bottom times are not limited so you can stay down as long as your air and computer allows. They rent all the gear if you need it or don't want to bring your own.
Classes are available, but no one was doing that while I was there. I also wanted to mention Ed because he's really working hard behind the scenes helping to keep things running smoothly.

The food is very good and creatively prepared. There is only 1 main course served at each meal, but you won't be dissappointed. Any 5 star resturaunt should be so lucky to have Jeff and Diane, so I guess that makes Pirates Point resort resturaunt 5 star also.

We had a room with a wall unit air conditioner because I have trouble sleeping if it's too hot. They do offer ocean front rooms, but I don't think they have air conditioners in them. Our room was basic, nothing special, but was clean and cleaned daily. Our room really could use an update, but we didn't spend a lot of time in the room and was sufficient and our overall experience made up for a basic room.

They have WIFI in the lounge area and you might get it in some of the rooms closer to the lounge area. I was able to connect my laptop in my room, but had to get a little closer to the man building to get my Ipad to connect. The connection is solid and I was able to VPN to my office every afternoon after diving when we had around 4 hours of free time before everyone gathered for the daily appetizers and coctails in the lounge / bar area.

They only have 10 rooms and many people we met had been there before several times. The staff really cares and I believe that's why they have the success of so many repeat visitors.

We were first time guests and booked our trip for next year before we left and looking forward to seeing everyone again next year.

Keep up the good work Pirates Point !

Also consider these accommodations in or near Little Cayman
#2 of 3 in Cayman Brac
Sunset Cove
Sunset Cove
#1 of 1 in Little Cayman

Been to Pirates Point Resort? Share your experiences!