“Like being at a week long house party”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Little Cayman
Pirates Point Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Little Cayman
Strongsville, Ohio
“Like being at a week long house party”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Staying at Pirates Point Resort was like being a guest at someone's week long house party - relaxed, laid back, excellent food and easy mingling with other guests. Everything about the 10-room resort is casual - from dress to meals. Guests even help themselves to drinks at the bar. Two excellent chefs ensure that meals are delcious and varied. Guests with special dietary requirements were also well taken care of. Two couples from a nearby resort had dinner at our resort one evening and practically swooned over the food. They told us the food where they were staying was nearly inedible - said that nothing but porridge had been served for breakfast that morning. They couldn't believe that while they were eating porridge we had the usual breakfast buffet fare (cereal, yogurt, fresh fruits, pastries, etc) and the special breakfast feature that morning (it changed daily) had been banana crepes! This is not a resort (or island) for folks wanting night life, shopping experiences or luxury. Rooms are large and comfortable and if they don't face the beach - air conditioning is available for a reasonable surcharge. There are no phones, televisions or radios in the rooms. Free wifi is available in and around the clubhouse. The majority of guests come for the diving and some come just to relax and get away from life's usual hectic pace. Besides diving there is snorkeling off the beach, a swimming pool and hot tub, and bikes are available for the taking for those wanting to tour the island. The diving was easy - there were no currents while we were there! Bloody Bay Wall was spectacular and dives on the other side of the island were nice - even a lovely stand of Elk Horn coral on the south side of the island. The resort offers 2 dives a day, but you get to stay down until your tank is at 500 psi - so for people who are not heavy breathers dives can last well over an hour. Heavy breathers wait on the boat until all divers are on board. The only negative of the trip was the no-see-ems. They found some people tastier than others and were a nuisance - even when using the repellent with 30% deet that was in each room. Next time we'll take our own repellent that is 98% Deet!

1 Thank Dor M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Sewell, New Jersey
Reviewed November 18, 2012

It was my first dive trip having just recently been certified to dive. Our friends were going to Little Cayman and have been staying at Pirates Point Resort for over 10 years and with good reason. The accommodations were just perfect. The room was large and very comfortable. The food was beyond fabulous, each meal was for me a new adventure. The staff were like friends and for a new diver I can not say enough about the attention all of the dive masters. The instructional tips they provided helped me to become a better diver and enjoy the incredible dive sites.

In addition to the dives we spent time just walking around the area where we saw many species of birds along with the local iguanas. This was by far the most relaxing and enjoyable vacation my wife and I have ever had and we are already looking forward to returning next year.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Portland, Oregon, United States
Reviewed November 17, 2012

This was our 11th stay at Pirates Point and it continues to excel. For a laid back dive resort with fantastic food and a terrific staff you cannot do better. It attracts a very high level of return visitors which is testimony to how nice it is. If you are a hardcore 4 dives a day person it isn't for you but for 2 great dives at a leisurely pace with dive guides who find all the interesting stuff it is ideal. The kitchen is staffed by 2 great chefs and breakfast, lunch, and dinner are all reliably great. Special needs are dealt with as needed.

Room Tip: You can get either the beachfront rooms which are not airconditioned but have great breezes to keep...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Mammoth Lakes
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Accommodations are spacious and quite comfortable. We were on the beach and the AC worked well. Worth paying extra for. The food, as advertised, is wonderful. Lunch was my favorite with tasty salads and always a delightful entree. A few mosquitos and bug bites the only negative. Saw birds and iguanas on land and very friendly grouper in the ocean. Didn't try the new bicycles but they were always available. A congenial group there to dive with. We had a great time.

Room Tip: Nice ocean breeze most of the time. All the rooms are nice.
1 Thank helena s
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I found Pirates Points by accident while searching the internet and dreaming of taking a vacation. It offers both a relaxing package and a dive package. Since diving was on my bucket list I chose that option. I got certified at home and was excited about trying my new skills on Little Cayman's Bloody Bay Wall. Cannot say enough great things about the dive masters, Gay, Michelle, Mike and Bob. Got hands on support with early dives establishing bouyancy and then the freedom to dive at skill level on progressive dives. The excellent diving service was extended into the dining room and hospitality of the staff and Gladys, Owner/Manager. Coffee was always ready early in the morning (I arose for each sunrise and quiet walk on the beach) and looked forward to Chef Dianne's friendly smile and sincere morning greeting. Both she and Chef Jeff clearly love what they do and it is reflected in the excellent food they prepare daily. Cheff Jeff even invited a guest into the kitchen to observe his sushi preparation for the Friday night cocktail hour in Glady's lovely home. After 2 tank dives daily we had all afternoon to relax and read, swim and snorkle or take a bike ride and look for iguanas. As a single traveler I had a great time meeting, talking and sharing with the other guest both divers and relaxers. Never missed having a TV around or telephones ringing. Stories were shared about favorite dive vacations and diving tips and skills were freely availalbe. I especially liked the pace of the day where we didn't have to be ready for the boat until 9:00 am. This was vacation afterall! I would recommend Pirates Point to anyone, both relaxers and divers, single travelers and couples. There are certain things you are guaranteed if you visit Pirates Point.... excellent service and hosptiality from all staff members, diving experiences that defy description, supurb meals and cocktails, great room services, and the pleasure of meeting Gladys and other friendly diving enthusiast. I too booked another trip as I was checking out for the week. Pirates Point is now my go to dive vacation spot!!

Room Tip: I had the room reserved for single travelers and it had an air conditioner. I was comfortable most...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Ellyn R
Houston, Texas
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We had the most relaxing week at Pirates Point Resort. The main attraction that brings most visitors is the diving in the marine park at Bloody Bay Wall, but what seems to bring most back is the staff. The visibility is around 100' diving in the marine park, it's really beautiful down there with the great visibility and the dive masters pointing as many highlights as they can find. They have Nassau Groupers that are so friendly the divers can stroke and pet them. The dive boat goes out every day and the whole staff rotates as dive masters on the boat except the chefs Jeff and Diane who are busy creating 5 star meals. Mike, Michelle, Bob and Gay are your dive masters on the boat and taking groups down. They are very knowledgeable, experienced and just know what they are doing. The bottom times are not limited so you can stay down as long as your air and computer allows. They rent all the gear if you need it or don't want to bring your own.
Classes are available, but no one was doing that while I was there. I also wanted to mention Ed because he's really working hard behind the scenes helping to keep things running smoothly.

The food is very good and creatively prepared. There is only 1 main course served at each meal, but you won't be dissappointed. Any 5 star resturaunt should be so lucky to have Jeff and Diane, so I guess that makes Pirates Point resort resturaunt 5 star also.

We had a room with a wall unit air conditioner because I have trouble sleeping if it's too hot. They do offer ocean front rooms, but I don't think they have air conditioners in them. Our room was basic, nothing special, but was clean and cleaned daily. Our room really could use an update, but we didn't spend a lot of time in the room and was sufficient and our overall experience made up for a basic room.

They have WIFI in the lounge area and you might get it in some of the rooms closer to the lounge area. I was able to connect my laptop in my room, but had to get a little closer to the man building to get my Ipad to connect. The connection is solid and I was able to VPN to my office every afternoon after diving when we had around 4 hours of free time before everyone gathered for the daily appetizers and coctails in the lounge / bar area.

They only have 10 rooms and many people we met had been there before several times. The staff really cares and I believe that's why they have the success of so many repeat visitors.

We were first time guests and booked our trip for next year before we left and looking forward to seeing everyone again next year.

Keep up the good work Pirates Point !

Merritt
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Our stay at Pirates Point was our best dive trip in over twenty years of Caribbean travel. The resort is clean and well organized. The staff friendly and helpful – break a fin strap and you have a repair in no time. The food is one of the most memorable experiences at Pirates Point. After years of sampling the plethora of Westchester/Manhattan dining, Pirates Point ranks among the best. The quality and variety is outstanding. One unexpected treat was to experience Lionfish sushi. Delicious! Diving is well organized and you are give flexibility as to your diving needs. The interesting feature about Pirates Point is the unity and dedication of the staff. One day a staff member is your dive master and the next they might be your server in the dining room. The staff really enjoy their positions and courtesy abounds. Hats off to Gladys Howard and her wonderful staff.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Little Cayman
Paradise Villas
Paradise Villas
#4 of 4 in Little Cayman

Been to Pirates Point Resort? Share your experiences!