“Relaxing for a week with the best diving”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Little Cayman
Pirates Point Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Little Cayman
Houston, Texas
“Relaxing for a week with the best diving”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We had the most relaxing week at Pirates Point Resort. The main attraction that brings most visitors is the diving in the marine park at Bloody Bay Wall, but what seems to bring most back is the staff. The visibility is around 100' diving in the marine park, it's really beautiful down there with the great visibility and the dive masters pointing as many highlights as they can find. They have Nassau Groupers that are so friendly the divers can stroke and pet them. The dive boat goes out every day and the whole staff rotates as dive masters on the boat except the chefs Jeff and Diane who are busy creating 5 star meals. Mike, Michelle, Bob and Gay are your dive masters on the boat and taking groups down. They are very knowledgeable, experienced and just know what they are doing. The bottom times are not limited so you can stay down as long as your air and computer allows. They rent all the gear if you need it or don't want to bring your own.
Classes are available, but no one was doing that while I was there. I also wanted to mention Ed because he's really working hard behind the scenes helping to keep things running smoothly.

The food is very good and creatively prepared. There is only 1 main course served at each meal, but you won't be dissappointed. Any 5 star resturaunt should be so lucky to have Jeff and Diane, so I guess that makes Pirates Point resort resturaunt 5 star also.

We had a room with a wall unit air conditioner because I have trouble sleeping if it's too hot. They do offer ocean front rooms, but I don't think they have air conditioners in them. Our room was basic, nothing special, but was clean and cleaned daily. Our room really could use an update, but we didn't spend a lot of time in the room and was sufficient and our overall experience made up for a basic room.

They have WIFI in the lounge area and you might get it in some of the rooms closer to the lounge area. I was able to connect my laptop in my room, but had to get a little closer to the man building to get my Ipad to connect. The connection is solid and I was able to VPN to my office every afternoon after diving when we had around 4 hours of free time before everyone gathered for the daily appetizers and coctails in the lounge / bar area.

They only have 10 rooms and many people we met had been there before several times. The staff really cares and I believe that's why they have the success of so many repeat visitors.

We were first time guests and booked our trip for next year before we left and looking forward to seeing everyone again next year.

Keep up the good work Pirates Point !

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Merritt
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Our stay at Pirates Point was our best dive trip in over twenty years of Caribbean travel. The resort is clean and well organized. The staff friendly and helpful – break a fin strap and you have a repair in no time. The food is one of the most memorable experiences at Pirates Point. After years of sampling the plethora of Westchester/Manhattan dining, Pirates Point ranks among the best. The quality and variety is outstanding. One unexpected treat was to experience Lionfish sushi. Delicious! Diving is well organized and you are give flexibility as to your diving needs. The interesting feature about Pirates Point is the unity and dedication of the staff. One day a staff member is your dive master and the next they might be your server in the dining room. The staff really enjoy their positions and courtesy abounds. Hats off to Gladys Howard and her wonderful staff.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bill F
Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

With my wife and three friends we just returned from 3 days at Pirates Point. All the staff were so friendly and some have been here since the late 1980's. Gladys Howard has a magical touch in motivating the staff and their loyalty is something seldom seen. The food was wonderful and the diving outstanding. We saw a yellow seahorse, a horse pipefish and so much more.

The dive crew is very professional and safety conscious. One word of advice, if you do not like to dive this is not the resort for you unless you want total relaxation and good food.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank The_Mace678
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 2, 2012

My daughter and I recently returned from a week at Pirates' Point. I was hesitant to take a teenager to an island that doesn't have a nightlife or teen scene. I shouldn't have worried! Our trip to Pirate's Point beat out other, far more expensive vacations we have taken, hands down.

The hospitality at Pirate's Point is casual but attentive, a hard balance to achieve. We had everything we needed, when we needed it, but otherwise were left alone to do as we pleased. That balance created the feeling that we were at home minus the chores, on our own little piece of paradise. Since the pace is as fast or slow as guests want it to be, we were left to our imaginations and creativity, helped greatly by the art cupboard, to figure out what to do after diving. The hours beachcombing for supplies and creating our own little masterpiece turned into really special mother-daughter time that was irreplaceable.

One of my daughter's objectives was to get open water certified so we can dive together in the future. She completed the classroom work at home and then Mike took her through the pool work and open water dives. I was able to watch (in stealth, from afar!) portions of the check out dives and could tell immediately that Mike wasn't taking shortcuts just to get her certified - he was making her into a good diver! I likewise found the diving experience to be world class, as would be expected in Little Cayman, with experienced instructors leading all of the dives and spotting all kinds of underwater life. The instructors truly care about helping divers get better, whether it is with bouyancy and weighting or any other oddball issue that might come up. In addition, safety is clearly a priority, as is attention to respecting and preserving the reefs.

As nearly every review notes, the food at Pirate's Point is exceptional. Fresh baked breads, creative soups, and variety were the rule. Considering that chefs Dianne and Jeff were cooking from scratch for a lot of people, they still went way out of their way to accommodate my vegetarian diet, even though it wasn't strictly necessary with all of the choices available at each meal.

Each night Gladys, the owner, hosted a game of competitive dominoes, which my daughter couldn't stay awake for, and opted for bed instead. When she did play, on our last night, she commented that her only regret was that she didn't start playing earlier in the week! So much for me worrying about there not being something for everybody at Pirate's Point.

In summary, this was a great vacation at a magical place, staffed with top notch chefs and dive professionals. We are already looking at schedules to figure out when we can go back again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank DMH0725
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 20, 2012

This place is way past its use by date and is living on its past glory and reputation. The rooms are tired and in need of refurbishment and the food falls far short of what it should have been for the price they charge. The beach is littered with Causerina needles and the only redeeming feature is the swimming pool. Little Cayman on the other hand is definitely worth a visit but stop somewhere else other than Pirates Point!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank 826Traveller
Redmond, Oregon
Reviewed July 1, 2012

We recently returned from our first visit to Pirates Point Resort. It was an all around incredible experience.
First, the accommodations/food: Clean, spacious, pleasant rooms with lots of amenities (pool, hot tub, decks off the rooms, etc.). Most importantly, food to DIE for. OMG - every meal was a gastronomic jewel! Fresh produce, meats and seafood, varied recipes, all executed to perfection. Jeff and Diane are magicians.
Secondly, the diving: Organized, well equipped and top notch staff. Everyone was knowledgeable and delightful. Gay helped us fine tune our buoyancy in ways that propelled us from just doing well in the water to being exactly where we wanted to be, when we wanted to be there. By all means, if advice is offered, take it! You will be very glad you did. We enjoyed varied sites and types of dives (wall dives, coral heads, reef dives). They are exceptionally well organized and clear in instruction, which made for excellent safety and efficient use of everyone's time, thereby increasing - bottom time! Most of our dives were around 70 minutes or so.
Finally, the staff: all staff of the resort are not only professional and very, very skilled in their areas of expertise, but also lovely people - enjoyable, knowledgeable, helpful, quirky and lots of fun to be around; just really delightful folks!
We will definitely return again next year, and part of why we will return (besides the incredible food and diving... have I mentioned that?) is the family atmosphere. I feel like we made friends, and what is better than hanging out above and below the water in Paradise with friends?!? Thank you so much to Gladys, Jeff, Diane, Martha, Gay, Mike, Michelle, Bob and Ed! See you next summer.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Joan V
NYC
Reviewed June 30, 2012

My first trip to Little Cayman and I am so pleased that I chose the right resort, Pirates Point. The food was incredible, the accommodations were perfect and the diving/ dive staff were top notch. I would recommend Pirates Point to divers & non-divers alike. Friendly staff, clean rooms, full service dive boats with unlimited bottom time on 2x daily dives. Definitely beyond my expectations. I can't say enough good things about this place. Staff is very loyal as well which is a great indication. And almost all other fellow travelers there were repeats- many of whom were doctors. The diving & the comraderie with the other guests & staff made this trip very special. You can't go wrong here. And it's relatively quiet at night which I appreciated.

Room Tip: Pirates Point has only 10 rooms so you can't go wrong with any of them. I stayed in #4 off the...