“one of my favorites”
Review of Governor's Beach

Governor's Beach
Reviewed November 10, 2013

this is a really nice sandy beach with some nice snorkeling about 50 yards off shore. we like to spend at least one full afternoon here on every trip to GC

All reviews
in 35 reviews
"soft sand"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed November 2, 2013

My wife and I always enjoy spending time at this beach when we are in The Caymans. Serene and beautiful, Governor’s Beach is a relaxing spot within Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman. Located beside and in front of the Governor’s home is one of the most frequented portions of Seven Mile Beach. Governor’s Beach has plenty of room for everyone along with crystal blue water great for snorkeling, lazing around on floats with a cold drink or a romantic stroll along all seven Miles of beach. As with all beaches on the Western side of the island this beach has beautiful sunset views!

1  Thank WorldTravelers34
Reviewed October 23, 2013

The beach was a short walk from our hotel & a peaceful place to take a walk. The area was practically deserted, and the weather spectacular!

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Just came back from Grand Cayman. Most of the tour books, and even our hotel concierge, suggested snorkeling at Governor's Reef. My husband and I had never been there, so we visited the location on our most recent vacation.

This is certainly NOT a place for new snorkelers. The reef is VERY far out. And the current was extremely strong; coming back to shore was difficult for both my husband and I. We would not have minded the strong current if the reef had something special to see. But once out there, the fish were no different than the types we saw daily right in front of our hotel The Marriott. The only differnece is that at this reef, the fish are about 30 feet below you, while at The Marriott, the fish are in about 6 feet of water (and swim right up to you!)

The beach at Governor reef is very nice. (I guess it is prime real estate because the governor's house is right on the beach.) The sand is powdery soft, and on our visit, there was a sting ray swimming between us, in about three feet of water. What a nice surprise!

It is kind of weird to be sitting directly in front of the "governor"s chaise lounges. And there were guards on duty (to protest the property). But my guess is, you probably never will see the governor on the beach,

There are no facilities here, just as on so many other Cayman beaches. However, this beach is right next door to the Westin, so you can always go to their bar and grill, or poolside bar, for food.

Governor's Beach is nice enough. But again, nothing special. And it certianly was not worth the cost of transportation to get here. The reef is very disappointing. I guess this is a great place to come, if you are staying at a condo nearby. But there are so many other MUCH BETTER snorkel spots on the island (Smith's Cove, in front of the Marriott Hotel, Cemetery Beach) that it's really not worth the trek to Governor's Beach.

4  Thank lbog