“Huricacane Dean cut my stay short !” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman

The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
trinidad
“Huricacane Dean cut my stay short !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2007

I had the pleasure of staying at the Ritz from August 15th to 17th 2007.
I was attending a pharmacists conference there and brought along my family to relax while i worked.
from the moment we arrived the service was impressive to say the least.
The staff at the Ritz do really go out of their way to make you feel comfortable.
We stayed in a resort view room with two queen beds.
The beds were divine! they are the most comfortable beds that i have ever slept on at any hotel or resort.
We never had any problems with housekeeping. They were generally punctual and the job was always well done. it was nice to come back to a well kept room after a long day outside.
we always had breakfast at the beachside restaurant. i think its called seven.
Again the service was excellent, and the food was good.
we mostly ate outside the resort , there is a small shopping centre about 5 minutes downthe road , where you can get decent food and also a grocery store where you can purchase snacks and fruit.
The beach was really nice my family spent a lot of time there and at the pools, while i was at the conference.
the water is warm ,and there were no waves , perfect for children and non swimmers, the ocean front pool was a bit crowded sometimes but the one near periwinkle was always quiet and inviting.
the beach chairs are very nice with a liitle hood over them , and the staff servrd cappuchino, water and smoothies at diffent times during the day.
on the third day we had to cut short our stay at the ritz since the hotel advised us to change our travel plans due to the impending passage of hurricane dean and the closure of the airport.
Again i must commend the staff for their high level of professionalisim, during this hectic time, as they were the ones who re assured the guests during their moments of anxiety , and also worke diligently to re arrange travel plans for alll the guest requiring this service.
special thanks go to Ms Lena Mc Gowen at the front desk concierge, i will always remember those re assuring words and comforting smiles ,that she gave to me during that hectic time when flights were all booked solid, and travel off the island seemed impossible,
she even called the Hilton in Jamaica and made reservations for me and my family to spend the night there , when we at last got a flight off the island.
also at the front desk was another hard working employee who , worked very professionally , always with a smile despite intense pressure from anxious guests. Keep up the good work Gabriella !
all in all it was a wonderfull expierience staying at the Ritz.
The service by all categories of staff was of a vey high quality .
congratultions to them all !!!
i really would have liked to stay a few days longer , but i think i will definitely return sometime in the future!

• Liked — THe attitude of the staff
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank medecin-man

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (672)
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2007

Spent 4 nights in an Ocean View room at the Ritz Carlton in June. The room was very nice (standard RC) & the view was absolutely INCREDIBLE! The staff of the hotel and the Ritz Club Lounge could not have been more helpful. Food & drinks by the pool & lobby were good, but expensive (we had access to the Club Lounge for drinks & snack foods).

Pros---incredible location & great service. very relaxing beach & not overcrowded.

Cons--everything is expensive.

Stayed June 2007
3 Thank Andy W
Southlake, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2007

Well, I have the great fortune of staying at many Ritz Carltons - and this one is just like a Marriott......unfortunately, I was paying for it. It didn't seem to matter to RC family that we just spent over $60K at their SFO property.......we were given a basic room, fine what we payed for, check was great because we did the club level. The Club level gave the same breakfast, lunch and dinner for 8 days........that got very old.

I am not a snob, so do not think that on my next responses, but certain things you come to expect........no plush robes, nope you get this waffle weave thing, no slippers and not the usual turn down service........We went 3 days without soap, shampoo......luckily I brought my own...the mildew/mold was so bad in the shower I had my little one wear crocks in there.
I have huge buyers remorse from this trip - and never had that before.

They add 15% grat to everything....every single smoothie my child had, ever single beer.......they take the liberty of just adding that. No other Ritz Carlton has ever done that - or needed to.

I did enjoy the private boat excursion we booked through them to go visit the StingRays.........$100 a person, I thought was well worth it.........other than that.......we rented a beach cabana.....what a waste of money.....that is a tent on the beach, no view because of all the chairs and no service. I am glad we came, but will not be back.

Tx1

Stayed August 2007
8 Thank TX1
Pa.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2007

This vacation was the best ever! Friendliest and most helpful islanders that I have ever encountered !!!!! Great taxi drivers, hotel staff were phenomenal .... they call you by name - all the time !! They always ask if there is anything else they can do for you! Our golf forecaddie, Miguel, was unbelievably great - the best ever! Even the shuttle drivers were the friendliest ever !!!! A truly amazing vacation !!

• Liked — hotel and staff
  • Disliked — airport
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank jkcp58
DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2007

This was a disappointing stay. The hotel is quite large and full of families and kids. While the rooms are nice and the amenities top of the line, the overall experience was not the luxury and elegance you expect from a Ritz property. There was no where to go for peace and quiet (the pool by the spa which is the logical location for a relaxing, quiet stop was filled with screaming kids) and the beach and main pool area are bustling with activity. Our room which had a lovely ocean view also looked out over the pool and was therefore loud from the screams of kids and parents. Even the club level room where the food presentations occur did not have an adult ambiance. They set up a play area for kids and a separate buffet, essentially encouraging the kids to hang out in the dining area. I have always associated the Ritz with refined elegance and top of the line service. This property does not meet that standard. I think they need to decide if they want to be a convention resort or a grand hotel. Until they figure it out I would not recommend a stay there for those looking for a relaxing getaway.

• Liked — lovely ammenities and soft beds!
  • Disliked — far from food and beach
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
8 Thank healthchick
Memphis, TN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2007

Sojourned at this locale from 07/24/07-07/31/07 with the wife and two kids. The resort has been reviewed Ad Infinitum here, so I'm going to focus on just the points that were the subject of my own query, prior to our trip to the Cayman Islands:

1. Accomodations: We booked a Garden View room, and never regretted not having booked a pricier Resort View or Ocean View room. The rooms are essentially equal in design and size, and in my opinion, dishing extra dough for a view of the ocean from your room is not justified. The notion that it's too much of a walk, from the resort side of the hotel to the ocean side, is a non-starter. It's ridiculous at best considering that you're walking in an air-conditionned hallway within the confines of the hotel.
I clocked the walk from my fourth floor Garden View Room, to the beach, at a little more than three minutes, and I'm a notoriously slow walker.

2. Dining: Restaurants within the resort are expensive by any standard. The cheapest restaurant on site is Periwinkle where we ate lunch upon arrival. One course meals for the wife and I, and the two kids ordering from the kids menu, separated us from $150.00. We fared slightly better by dining outside of the resort, but we were never under $100 for meals. This is a relatively expensive Island, and part of the problem is that the Cayman Dollar is stronger than the U.S. Dollar.

3.Service: Impeccable ! Best service I've experienced anywhere. These folks treat you like royalty.

4.Activities: Two pools, and the beach. Canoes and Aquabikes are complimentary, but you have to dish out sizable dough for motorized watercraft. Unless you like seating by the beach or the pool all day, you must leave the resort for entertainment. I would recommend the Atlantis Submarine Tour, and the Turtle Farm if you have kids.

5. Cayman Summer Splash: I'm not sure you've heard about this promotion, but it came with my vacation package. It purports to give you all manner of discounts on the Island, from restaurants to tours and excursions. When we got to the Ritz, we were given a VIP card and a list of participating restaurants and tour operators. With your VIP card, Kids are advertised to eat free when ordering from the kids menu, but my experience is that this is the Caymans version of Bait and Switch.
Every restaurant run their own version of the promotion. At Periwinkle, the story was so tortured that we asked them to just forget it. At Hard Rock Cafe downtown, they first claimed no knowledge of the promotion. When I showed them that they were on the list of participating restaurants, their version of the promotion became "Kids get a free drink ". When the bill arrived, there was no such discount. We didn't bother arguing further. Good for them that on this Island tips are automatically included on the bill. I would have offered a negative amount, like minus 20 bucks.

In all this is a nice Island, and folks are genuinely personable.
We had a great time here. Your sojourn will not be inexpensive, but if you're so inclined, you can take some steps to economize.

Stayed July 2007
4 Thank Bantouman
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2007

We returned from our vacation at the Ritz two weeks ago. We stayed in one of the cheaper rooms and if a view is important to you - book an ocean view room because there really is no view from these rooms!
All in all our experience was good. Some of the nicer things about this property:
The rooms are large and fairly well appointed.
The beds were extremely comfortable - my husband and I both have a difficult time sleeping in hotels - we slept very well this trip.
It was our anniversary and they sent champagne and strawberries to our room- which was very nice.
The beach at this resort is immaculate - the stretch of sand is beautiful.
The buffet (BBQ cookout) at Seven was very good. A great variety of food very well prepared.
Some drawbacks:
The chairs on the beach are very close together and you do feel like sardines! Most of the chairs closest to the water are reserved very early (I don't know if the hotel reserves these for special guests) We are early risers and were on the beach by 8:00 am some mornings and the chairs were already reserved!
I have never stayed at a hotel which had worse housekeeping. I don't know if it is just the cheaper rooms or all rooms, but our room was completely ignored one day and the next day we had to call at 5:30 p.m. to have the room cleaned. They were not very nice when we called!
Some tips:
Eats restaurant is great for breakfast. It is about a block down from the Ritz.
Try taking a bus - we took buses and cabs and both were very easy, but the bus gives you a little more local flavor!
Loved Eduardo's and Deckers for dinner.
Cracked Conch restaurant was not that great!
If you go to Georgetown, be advised that not all stores are open if there are no cruise ships in port. However, it is less crowded without the ships.
Hope this helps!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Housekeeping
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple