“Nice but not perfect”

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Chicago
“Nice but not perfect”
Reviewed August 20, 2007

We returned from our vacation at the Ritz two weeks ago. We stayed in one of the cheaper rooms and if a view is important to you - book an ocean view room because there really is no view from these rooms!
All in all our experience was good. Some of the nicer things about this property:
The rooms are large and fairly well appointed.
The beds were extremely comfortable - my husband and I both have a difficult time sleeping in hotels - we slept very well this trip.
It was our anniversary and they sent champagne and strawberries to our room- which was very nice.
The beach at this resort is immaculate - the stretch of sand is beautiful.
The buffet (BBQ cookout) at Seven was very good. A great variety of food very well prepared.
Some drawbacks:
The chairs on the beach are very close together and you do feel like sardines! Most of the chairs closest to the water are reserved very early (I don't know if the hotel reserves these for special guests) We are early risers and were on the beach by 8:00 am some mornings and the chairs were already reserved!
I have never stayed at a hotel which had worse housekeeping. I don't know if it is just the cheaper rooms or all rooms, but our room was completely ignored one day and the next day we had to call at 5:30 p.m. to have the room cleaned. They were not very nice when we called!
Some tips:
Eats restaurant is great for breakfast. It is about a block down from the Ritz.
Try taking a bus - we took buses and cabs and both were very easy, but the bus gives you a little more local flavor!
Loved Eduardo's and Deckers for dinner.
Cracked Conch restaurant was not that great!
If you go to Georgetown, be advised that not all stores are open if there are no cruise ships in port. However, it is less crowded without the ships.
Hope this helps!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Housekeeping
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank moethedog

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (702)
DES MOINES
Reviewed August 18, 2007

We recently returned from a wonderful vacation and trip to Grand Cayman. We stayed at the Ritz Carlton and had a penthouse oceanview suite. I had booked directly with the hotel and the only room they had was "club" level which is basically that you pay 100 bucks more for the same room but have access to a private concierge and club room with small meal offerings and drinks about 5x a day. In the end- it was well worth the money! When we arrived everyone treated us very nicely and was more than welcoming- different than some other high end resorts in the carribbean. We were escorted to the club lounge where a concierge seated us and got us champagne or whatever drink we would have requested. She explained all the ammenities and services and was very nice after a long plane ride. She took us to our room- and I had requested a high floor when booking but was surprised when we got the penthouse floor- top floor as a bonus. Rooms are tastefully decorated in carribbean colors and theme- not exceptionally large rooms but nice nonetheless. The only complaint I would have with the room is that the air conditioner didnt seem to get any cooler despite the thermostat setting and it was very warm in July! The pool and beach were amazing and beach service for drinks, etc was good even in the hot weather. Nothing is cheap- but don't go to a Ritz and expect to get a 5 dollar hamburger. I think that is long as the service is good and people appreciate the fact that your spending your money there- its worth it. We went to dinner at many local resturaunts recommend by staff and had great meals. I would say that this property ranked so high in my book because not only was the property in beautiful shape- but the service was excellent and the people that worked there were nice and attentive to detail- and that is why we will go back.

• Liked — service and aesthetics
  • Disliked — air conditioner in my room
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JENNYG35
San Antonio
Reviewed August 17, 2007

We stayed at the Ritz from 8/1/07 to 8/10/07. The Ritz is by far and away the nicest hotel on the Island. I visited several of them throughout our 10 Days. We booked and Oceanfront Club Level Room (824) which cost $499 a night with an additional 20% service charge and another charge of $14 per night for something??? The room was fantastic; there was a bottle of champagne and strawberries when we arrived. The room was on the Penthouse Level with the best view. No waiting for our room to be ready, they took us directly there after a brief tour of the property.

The Club Room access is definitely the way to go. We ate most breakfasts and Lunches in the club room and they were great. The complementary alcoholic drinks and sodas were a big plus for me, as I drink many of each. With a $10 charge per Bud Light at the Silver Palm Lounge and $4 for a soft drink by the pool/beach I think I definitely made my money back by utilizing the Club Room. The Service was the real highlight in the Club Room. We dealt with two concierges (Laura and Ervan) both were phenomenal in getting us whatever we wanted. They made all of our dinner reservations, golf reservations, and all of my wife's Spa reservations. Other reviewers have complained about the walk from the club room to the Oceanfront. It was not bad at all, plus I needed the exercise after all the food and drink I enjoyed.

Housekeeping was difficult to predict but it seems that this is the case everywhere I stay for multiple day trips. However, the service was great. They always changed the linens everyday, contrary to another reviewer's experience. They fill the bucket with ice and have a nice turn down service in the evening.

The food on the island is truly amazing and, yes, expensive on average $250 per night. Here is a comprehensive list of where we ate:

1) 7 Prime Cuts-Food was great, wine by the glass selection is huge.
2) Copper Falls Steakhouse-Great steaks. I was skeptical about this being that I live in Texas but it was truly great
3) Calypso Grill-Great Food, Great wine list, restaurant was very hot; it was raining so there was no outside dining.
4) Blue-Service was excellent, Food was OK not worth the money $400 for two of us with a bottle of wine
5) Papagallos-Best reataurant experience on the island, Great ambience and great wine list
6) 7 On Thursday night-Lobster and Beef tenderloin, This was great! I ate 4 lobster tails.
7) Hard Rock Cafe-Nothing special, because nothing else is open in Georgetown after 7:00 p.m.
8) Champagne Brunch at 7- Unbelievable! This was awesome. $198 for two, and worth it.
9) Reef Grill-NIce place. When we went the restaurant was empty except for one other couple and they seated us next to them??? Food was good. Wines were more reasonably priced here than the above-referenced restaurants.

I am an avid diver and I was really looking forward to the diving in GC. I researched this ahead of time and all the dive books and magazines recommend Redsail Sports. They also have a Kiosk in Wave the gift shop at the Ritz. I booked 5 days of two tank dives for myself and three days of dives for my wife. The person who set it up made a comedy of errors. They got my name wrong on all there paperwork. In trying to correct problems with my tab I had to deal with the most unpleasant and hateful person I have ever met in my life (Helen at the Westin Redsail). I waited for ovr two hours as they tried to resolve my tab. They didn't give me the discount as promised, and now have charged my Credit Card for the wrong amount (Of course it is in their favor). Dispute still pending... My advice is to book with a smaller diver shop so that you are not just a number or a wrong name. The real tragedy of my experience is that the divemasters and captains are very good and some of the safest I have ever dived with. None of this has anything to do with the Ritz other than Redsail rents space in their gift shop.

My wife REALLY enjoyed the Spa...Obviously she booked four treatments there. We also played 18 holes of golf. Once again excellent service as the Course provides you with a caddy. However, the driving range was closed for repairs.

We did see a few people complaining about one thing or another but it was usually people with Northeastern accents that you know could never be pleased. Like the woman who is yelling at one of the club room attendants that she wanted a grilled cheese because you cannot expect a 5 year old to eat the food they presented. It was funny.

All in all we were good with spending a little more and getting the best of everything. But I must admit I was nervous waiting for the final bill to come which after 10 days resembled a phone book. If we return to Grand Cayman we would only stay at the Ritz. After this experience we will target other Ritz properties for future trips.

• Liked — The Service
  • Disliked — The onsite dive operator (Redsail)
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank pmeiii
NY.NY
Reviewed August 16, 2007

Although August can be hot and humid, we really enjoyed this vacation. Relaxing, top notch service and accomodations. After the first few days you get it, this place is about relaxing and family time. Beach, pool, spa, dinner - the days unwind. Highly recomend the concierge club room - great value and service. Diner at Luca, Reef Grill excellent. - both within walking distance. Breakfast at eats across the street for a treat. Go snorkeling, and jet skiing. Best for families - lots of young kids and a few teens.

• Liked — service and setting, beach
  • Disliked — long walks to get from one point to another in hotel
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank CMSK
New York City
Reviewed August 16, 2007

The hotel is magnificent although the room was a little bit smaller than other Ritz rooms I've stayed in. The staff lives up to their reputation. They can't do enough! However, the prices at the restaurants and the bar are extravagant! The restaurant just a 5 minute walk, Eats Cafe is a wonderful place for breakfast and lunch and next door Legends is fun for a light dinner. The place to go to for dinner and just a short walk from the Ritz is Deckers. We went twice and each meal was just wonderful! We also really liked Calypso Grill. All in all just a wonderful vacation because you can't beat 7 Mile Beach.

Diane and George from New York City

Stayed August 2007
3 Thank DebbieDNewYorkCity
North Carolina, USA
Reviewed August 14, 2007

We took 8 couples for our annual management retreat, and had a fabulous experience. We have previously gone to Pink Beach in Bermuda, Cuisinart in Anguilla and Coral Gardens in Turks & Caicos, and the Ritz really put on a show for us.
From the moment we arrived, when they escorted us into the Club where delicious and welcome food and drink awaited, until our departure, the staff could not have been friendlier and more helpful. While there were some minor inconvenineces with the air conditioning, the rooms were nicely maintained, and the service was impeccable.
The ultimate was our group dinner at Blue, the on-site restaurant. It was beyond spectacular, the best group meal any of us could ever remember. The presentation, service, and quality of the food were amazing.
Five stars for the Ritz from all of us in the group!

• Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank wake1967
Epsom, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2007

My husband and I, and our 2 boys ages 4 and 6 stayed in an ocean front room for 10 nights in August. Weather was fantastic - very hot so we did purchase sun tops for kids at local dive shop. Hotel was superb. Room with 2 queen beds very comfortable for all 4 of us. Surroundings are lovely, staff very friendly and helpful and service outstanding. Wouldn't hesistate to return. The Ritz is not cheap to book or drink/eat at, but there are so many restaurants around that cheaper options are easy to find.

It was our first trip with our children and they coped well with 12 hour flight with British Airways!! They had a fantastic time. The Ambassadors of the Environment kids club was great. We booked our kids activities by email before we went which was great. They enjoyed snorkelling and Ritz beach staff took 6 year old kayaking, and went snorkelling to coral reef just off the beach (just swim out there!!) - ideal for kids. Small fish come right up to shore line so even smallest child can experience wild life (not to mention iguanas!) We also did Submarine trip in George town which went 100ft down - pricey but kids loved it and Ritz concierge booked it for us before we left hotel. Also went to Stingray City - not a city, just a shallow sand back in middle of sea!! Interesting experience if not a bit unnerving!!

Generally food lovely at Ritz (really liked breakfast buffet at $22 per head, $12 for kids 6 or over and under 6 years eat free). Least impressed with Perwinkles food. Also try EATS (american diner - just 5 mins walk) and Japanese restaurant next to it (Yoshushi?? - but need to book).

To sum up it was one of our best holidays - children were happy and safe, which made us relaxed!!

Stayed August 2007