“About as good as you'll find anywhere”

The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Louisville, KY
“About as good as you'll find anywhere”
Reviewed April 24, 2010

We stayed at the Ritz Carlton from April 17-22. Initially upon arriving at the airport, I was disappointed to see major puddles following a heavy rain. An airport worker said it had rained like Niagara Falls. Recognizing that most of the Caribbean Islands get a little bit of rain frequently, I wasn't overly concerned. By the time we got to the hotel, the sun was out. We were greeted by the bellman who took our luggage and introduced us to the concierge who took us to the Club Room, where we checked in. It was early afternoon so the lunchtime meal offering was out. Each day there was a nice selection of meat, cheese, some type of panini, soup, salad ingredients, crackers, bread, etc., 4 selections of desserts, as well as soft drinks, water, champagne, wine, beer, rum punch, etc. All that was necessary if you needed something was simply to ask. By the time we went to our room, our luggage had already been placed there. I highly recommend paying the additional to get Club Room Privileges. Morning time there was always some type of quiche, lots of fruit, lots of baked items, yogurt, mueslix, hot cereal, cold cereals, bagels, etc. Evening appetizers were excellent. Each night varied, but there was always some type of sushi, cheeses, a variety of items depending on the day, coconut shrimp, conch fritters, beef tenderloin satay, lobster satay, egg rolls, cheeses, etc., plus a selection of candies, and later in the evening were wonderful desserts and cordials. No compalints -- it was all good. Since we had a beachfront room, we tended to stay on that side of the hotel, although it is not a long walk to the other pool or the club room which are both on the opposite side of the road from the Beach. Not a problem. The room was very nice, the staff everywhere was over the top. Fabulous. The water in the ocean was cloudy following the rain, but after it cleared out it was crystal clear like pool water. There are (limited) floats available for the pool or the beach, but there were plenty of chaises available at both the pool and the beach. In the ocean, there were also some additional floats that were available... so nice - as well as floating table and chairs and floating beds (which could be reserved for a fee). We worked out each day in the fitness center which was very well equipped with plenty of cardio machines and weight equipment. Classes were offered each day, pilates, power weights, yoga, etc. at designated times. In addition to eating in the Club Room, which was more than adequate, we also ate dinner at Bar Jack (poolside eating), Periwinkle and 7 Prime. 7 Prime has the best steaks ever. We did not eat at Blue, but heard from some other people that it was excellent and well worth the price. The pool, at least the one near the beach was deep.... 4 feet in the shallow end and 10 feet in the deep end, which could be a cause for concern if you have little ones that do not swim well. Fresh fruit was offering during the day, as well as popsicles and ice cream treats. Other than my concern for the pool being deep (which was fine for us), the hotel is tops of all the places I have been. It is centrally located in about the middle of 7 Mile Beach, so we walked both directions and didn't see anything that compared. Not only would I recomment this hotel to a friend, I hope to go back in the future. .

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Cindy in KY

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (693)
Rochester, New York
Reviewed April 23, 2010

My husband and I traveled to Grand Cayman and stayed at the Ritz-Carlton. This was my second trip to this property and my husband's first. Everything from check in to check out was beyond our expectations. Our flight from Miami was delayed and I was worried that our scheduled transportation would miss us, but as soon as we walked out of the baggage claim area we saw the driver waiting for us. We were served champage the second we checked in. We were escorted to our room and found a lovely welcome basket, champage and chocolate covered strawberries waiting for us. Just what we needed after a long day of travel! We had a beautiful ocean front room with access to the club lounge. Club was amazing - excellent food and service. We visited every evening for cocktails and by the third evening we didn't even have to ask for our usual cocktails. We splurged with a luxury cabana during our stay - there was always fresh fruit, water and juice for us to enjoy as well as 4 lougne chairs and a table to snack on. We chose to enjoy a cabana beach dinner one night (food service from Seven). This was by far the most romantic experience we have had. We indulged in a couples massage one afternoon. After our service the technicians led us to a private area of the relaxation santuary that was covered in rose petals with two glasses of champage waiting for us. We hope to return to the Ritz-Carlton Grand Cayman very soon!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mdespard
Oak Creek, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 22, 2010

The hotel, the beautiful beach, the weather, etc. all of these things were outstanding during our trip. When I am asked how my trip was, however, the first thing I share is how wonderful the people are at the Ritz Carlton GC. We met some outstanding individuals with genuine concern for those who were guests. David and the hostess (sorry that I don't have her name) who worked at the Seven restaurant were wonderful. We returned to our room on the last night of our stay to find a card, a CD with Elvis songs that were downloaded and a cake thanking us for our stay. When we had difficulty working the CD player, Rudolph came and assisted us and even sang along to some of the songs. Every employee that we passed always said hello. Our trip was part of a convention and we were truly grateful that the company chose this location and hotel. The people who work there were great examples of how we should all be in our work and personal life.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
Reviewed April 18, 2010

Went for our honeymoon and it was spectacular. From the service, to the amenities, to the food, to the spa, to the tennis, this Ritz is a top notch property. Add to that the fact that Seven Mile Beach is one of the best beaches in the world, and that the Ritz is on the best piece of property on Seven Mile Beach, and it's a no brainer to stay here while visiting Grand Cayman...if, of course, you're willing to spend the money.

I agree with the other reviews, this place is expensive. For instance, I've stayed @ the Four Seasons Maui in Wailea and it's not as expensive as the Ritz Grand Cayman. However, like everything else in life, you get what you pay for. Because of this, we went back for our 1st Anniversary last year. All of the staff members remembered us. The guys @ BarJack remembered what we liked to drink. The waiters at Blue and Periwinkle remembered us from the year before. And, probably most impressive of all, the staff @ the Silver Rain Spa remembered what vegetables and juice we liked while waiting in the relaxation room before our massage. They also remembered what music we liked to listen to while receiving our couples massage. To me, service like this is priceless.

There's really nothing negative I can say about this resort - it is truly one of a kind and one of the finest resorts in the world. We're going back in July for our 2nd Anniversary (this will be our 3rd visit to the Ritz GC in 3 years), and I have a feeling that we'll be returning every summer for a long time to come.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AgRunner
nj
Reviewed April 17, 2010

The staff here is excellent, friendly and helpful. Breakfast servers offered to get my breakfast from buffet when I was feeding our baby or helping my other children. We found the food to be excellent and timely brought to the table. However, reservations are essential at the casual dining spots for dinner (Periwinkle) as we were abruptly told when we showed up for dinner without one. So, you need to have your day well planned out in advance. Not something I want to do on vacation. Further, they seem to not over burden the chefs so there are many open tables at the same time you are being told they are full to capacity. But this may be how they can consistently produce excellent food.
Some of our dislikes:
1) Nothing intimate about this resort. It is extremely large. Staying on the resort side, you feel disconnected to where the action is on the ocean side.
2) We too hoped for an AMEX upgrade. No such luck.
3) Convention came in mid week. Not something I want to deal with on vacation. Resort side pool closed from 1:00 p.m. on because of an event dinner being held that night at the resort pool.
4) We also didn't have any luck getting beach chairs, despite going to the beach at 8 a.m. in search of chair. Many reserved spots go untaken all day long. Annoying when you are paying a daily resort fee.
5) Found slippers from a previous guest in our room by the bed as well as hairpins on the bathroom floor which remained there all week. How well are these rooms being cleaned? Considering that you pay a daily fee for having rooms cleaned this is unfair.
6) The shallowest part of both pools is 4 feet. Not ideal for young children.
In sum, it is a beautiful spot but not my preference for an ideal vacation spot. We prefer a smaller more intimate, authentic feel. Many have complained about the prices but that is something to expect when you are going to the Ritz Carlton.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank qwes
Houston
Reviewed April 10, 2010

Nice location, good looking hotel and nice beach, certainly. But if you think you will get pampered here, think again. The hotel is way too large for a "luxury" resort. You cannot get good seats at the beach past 7:30 am (honest, I tried everyday), and no umbrellas/canopies at the beach past 8:30 am. Everything is outrageously overpriced, and the rooms that don't have ocean view are to be avoided. Basically, if you can guarantee an ocean view room at a time where the hotel is no more than half-full, you will have a good time. Anything else and you will feel ripped off. The Westin and Marriott have just as nice beaches, with actually fewer people.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank PinguHouston
Rogers, Arkansas
Reviewed April 4, 2010

I booked on Ritz-Carlton website a deal with American Express that gave free upgrades if available.
All room types were available on their website when departed, so I expected an upgrade.
At arrival I was told club level and oceanfront were booked.
I went to my room, and the website still said both of those room types were available for the complete duration of my stay.

I have no idea why they wouldn't give it to me. I felt ripped off all week.

Beautful hotel, friendly service, very expensive.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family