“The Ritz-Carlton Cayman Island”

The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Reviewed November 7, 2006

From the minute you land and drive to your hotel nothing shines brighter with such elegance as there. You are at a first class destination. The Ritz-Carlton is incredible with every thing you look for when planning a vacation to the island. People arrive and are ready to make this place a home away from home. The hotel is just lovely and the food is wonderful. Make sure you are in no way dieting. 7 Mile Beach is made for those that can appreciate beauty without fail. If you go to relax or tour the island its a great place to do both.
I am single and saw many other singles either working there or just relaxing. I would not hesitate to go alone there. I also highly recommend it as a couples resort with no hesitation.
Sylvia Nichols

9  Thank EdenCountry
Write a ReviewReviews (3,088)

Reviewed November 5, 2006

I actually originally booked the Westin. This was slightly more expensive than the Ritz Carlton. I don’t how they charge more. My travel agent thought I was crazy for not booking the Ritz. A few months later I decided to move to the Ritz (after reading reviews from this site). We booked a full ocean front room. It was about $1,000 more than the resort view for 7 nights. Not sure, if I would do this again. We enjoyed the view, but my wife may have let me purchase that new watch in Georgetown I was eyeing up had we not spent so much on the hotel :)

Wow, what a resort! We just got back from 7 nights at the Ritz Carlton.

My background: My wife and I are in our early 30's with one child (who stayed home with grandma). We love tropical vacations. I have stayed at the Maui Four Seasons, Grand Wailea, and Hyatt in Kaui, HI.

Hotel - I was afraid to stay at a Ritz Carlton hotel. 2 years we went to Maui and booked the Four Seasons. We didn't feel comfortable there. The cliental was very stuffy and I felt obligated to dress up to go sit by the pool or for a casual bite to eat before hitting the beach so we moved hotels. The Ritz in Grand Cayman is a beautiful hotel without being stuffy or condescending. The service is incredible from the moment we checked in until the time we left. Beach is great. This was our anniversary so they sent up chocolate strawberries with a bottle of champagne. Service at the pool / beach is excellent. We had lunch here 3-4 times. Excellent food. Yes, it was expensive, but the quality was very good. I don't mind paying money for good service and quality. If you want a $4 sandwich go to Subway.

Resort - You pull up to the resort and walk into the lobby. I assumed that this was on the same side as the ocean. But it isn't. We looked out the window there and there is the second pool. You need to walk through the hotel and over the strip ( all through the hotel) actually you can't even look out the windows when you are over the street. So, it would take us 5-8 mins to get to the main lobby from our ocean front room. But, we were able to get to the beach in 3 mins or so from our room. Not a big deal just an FYI.

Tipping - The woman who showed us to our room refused my tip! I tipped the bellman $6-8 for bringing up our bags. The guys who set up your beach chairs seemed like hard working guys, so I would give them $2 or so when we went to the pool / ocean.

We each booked 2 services at the Rain Spa. Best massage I have ever had. I got a 60 min aromatherapy. $150 US. This costs about $120 or so at nice Spas in the Washington, DC area. Beautiful table of fruits and sweets you are able to snack on before/after your spa treatment.

General Island overview:
Grand Cayman in general is very expensive. We went to dinner at the Wharf. It couldn't have been more than a mile away and the cab ride was $10+tip. So that is $25 round trip just to get to/from dinner. There is a grocery store very close to the hotel. We stocked up on soda and snacks. I bought a 6 pack of Heineken it was $10 CI=$12.50 US. We ordered a large pizza from Papa Johns with 2 toppings. $28 (including tip). Some people swear you have to rent a car. It just depends on what you want to do. We took the bus into Georgetown. $2 CI ($2.50 US each way / person. We did rent a car one day to go back into Georgetown and to dinner. I really enjoy the water activities. Most of the trips will pick you up at your hotel so you don't have to travel anywhere.

Restaurants:
Eats - across the street from the Westin . Great food at really good prices. Perfect place for any meal. We ate there 3 times throughout the week. Once for each meal.
Ragazzi - I really enjoyed this restaurant. Good Italian Food.
The Wharf - we had a late lunch so we split an entrée, Sea Bass. It was good, not great. We also tried the conch soup, didn't do much for me.
We looked at the menu at Copper Falls. The prices were outrageous. They serve Angus beef, not Prime beef that you find at a top steakhouse like Morton's or Ruth's Chris. So, we decided to skip it.
Blue (inside the Ritz Carlton) This was our anniversary dinner celebration. We got the 6 course tasting menu. $105 CI - $125 or so US $. My wife really enjoyed the food and how it was prepared. This isn't the type of restaurant you go to get a crab cake or just plain scallops. A lot of preparation goes into each sauce and the food presentation is incredible. This restaurant is not for everyone.
Seven - This is the steakhouse within the Ritz. I had read mixed things about this before arrived. We almost didn't eat here b/c of the reviews. Like everything at the Ritz it was expensive, but I really think you get what you pay for at the Ritz. Top quality food and incredible service. This actually was our favorite meal. (We are both meat lovers). Not as good as a Morton's or Ruth's Chris, but still very good. I think the restaurant would do more business if they fixed it up a bit. White table clothes would be a nice start. The atmosphere was very casual, but the food was great!
Lobster Pot - Excellent food. I got the lobster pasta and my wife got 2 Lobster tails. This was the best seafood I ate all week. My book said that Hemmingways at the Hyatt was the best place for Lobster, but the hotel and my dive buddies (locals at Dive N Stuff) strongly recommended the Lobster Pot.

Activities:
Sting Ray City - A must. We had a blast. We booked through Captain Marvin’s. $40 / person. Stopped at 2 snorkeling sites then stopped at Sting Ray City.

Scuba Diving - This was my first time. I asked by the pool and they recommended Red Sail. Then I asked the concierge and they told me about Dive N Stuff., a much smaller operation. I needed to get a resort certification first. Red Sail charged $165 for this. Dive N Stuff charged $105( both US $$) They picked me up at the hotel. While the other divers went into the water I took the "resort class" (45 mins or so.) Then I was able to dive. It was great. I went back the next day for 2 more dives. I went down about 60 Ft under water. We had about 4 other divers. Red Sail had 25 divers going down at once.

Georgetown - Nice to take a day off from being in the direct sun all of the time. What you would expect. 3-4 Cruise ships in. We went into Georgetown one day without the ships in figuring it would be easier to get around. Not everything was open. So, we had to go back when the ships came in. We had lunch at Senior Frogs. Decent food. 2 drinks and 2 orders of tacos. $75 US or so (including tip)

email me with any questions - ddicarlo99@yahoo.com. Please put Grand Cayman in the subject line.

34  Thank dicarlo27
Reviewed November 5, 2006

Here are some things that would have helped me to know:
AIRPORT: Old, small but efficient with only one runway. The arrival side only has luggage pickup and taxis outside - 10 min. ride to the Ritz. The departure side has a few gift shops and one snack bar. Check-in was quick.
MONEY: US dollar plus 20% equals (CI) Cayman money. Everyone we met accepts US money, they'll usually do the math for you.
TRANSPORTATION: Taxis cost $12.50 (each way) along George Town and 7 Mile Beach. Public transportation is a mini-van: you stand by side of road, driver will honk, if you wave back they'll pick you up, it's cheap costing $2.50 (each way). They have no scheduled stops or times so it is a matter of luck to catch one. We rented a car from AVIS (at the Ritz) a Honda Civic for $75/day including rental, gov. license and insurance. They drive like in England, everything opposite to US - the adjustment was scary!
COMMUNICATION: Our US cell phones didn't work, but saw another person with same provider whose did work. If communicating with each other while on the island is important to you, ask someone, I didn't understand that. Internet connection in your room cost $10/day or $55/week.
ACTIVITIES: Leroy, the lobby concierge, is fabulous! WE LIKED: Atlantis submarine, takes you 100 ft. down Cayman wall to see the reef; Capt. Dexter and stingray snorkel; Resort Scuba dive; Spa, expensive ($200 for one hour facial) but elegant; Snorkeling, only hint is if you wear glasses and want prescription mask only place we found was 'Divers World' for $12/day, maybe buy here and bring there; Driving around the island, especially Rum Point; George Town, souvenir shops and restuarants; Restaurant 'Seven' at the Ritz was good, cost $150 for 2 people. DIDN'T LIKE: Botanical Garden, hot, sticky and you share the pathway with snakes and Iguanas. WE SKIPPED: Turtle Farm and city of Hell.
HOTEL: Wow! Do get the Ocean View room (request 8th floor) and watch the perfect sunsets, stars and moonlight on the Caribbean from your room. Upgrade to the Club Level, the pampering service (from Stavros and Aurelien...) and the food were OUTSTANDING and I believe we saved money by eating most meals there. Request a mini-refrigerator for your room. This resort experience is magical!!! We hope to do it again!!!

21  Thank k&k007
Reviewed November 3, 2006

After reading reviews about this property, I booked it for our honeymoon. It was magnificent. We've stayed in luxury properties around the world, but have never experienced the standard of service like at the Ritz. Grand Cayman. Unlike another reviewer we were thrilled by the international flavor of the staff. What was common was their universal attention to detail and courtesy. I'll share one instance of many. My wife called room service looking for something light as she was not feeling well. The staff person noticed that she sounded congested and asked if she was under the weather. When she confirmed her suspicion she indicated that they could prepare chicken noodle soap, (off menu,) and also had another staffer bring a bottle of cough syrup. The property is also great. We did beach side room....a must.... The room was well appointed as one would expect of the Ritz. Interestingly, I was concerned that the typical traditional decor would not match the tropical and relaxed feeling that I wanted from a Carribean destination. Somehow, they bridged the divide offering the best of both. We split time between poolside and seaside. On the beach large canopied beds are available without charge, and are made up by one of the attendants. We fell in love with this arrangement as it shielded us from the harshness of the sun, while still affording us a nice even tan. The Spa is wonderful. Here's the best part. There was a special available when I booked. Which included breakfast each morning and a $100 resort credit, which took any bad tastes away about pricey drinks. Actually, without the credit it would have been fine. Once you experience this level of service and appreciate that this is a British Isle which has always enjoyed a very robust economy spurred both by American offshore sheltering, and development, you'll realize that the prices are about right. Finally, I'd like to share a word about this review. I am orginally from NJ and am by nature cynical of anything that seems to lofty and laced with superlatives. However in this case, our experience outpaced the glowing reviews that we had read previously, and thought it proper to raise the tenor just a notch higher. Cheers.

13  Thank Laureate2
Reviewed October 21, 2006

In the past 2 years, we've stayed at 4 Ritz locations - this location; St. Thomas; Naples, Florida; and Rose Hall, Jamaica - in that order for overall service, accommodations, resort facilities - everything. You definitely want an Ocean view room (the resort view rooms are across the street in a different building). We did not find the food or drinks overpriced for a Ritz - (as mentioned in some previous reviews on tripadvisor.com). If this is your first Ritz stay, you will think the food and drinks are expensive but the cost of the rooms at the resort should clue you in. In our opinion, the Ritz is well worth the cost. Word of advice for those that are concerned or shocked by the drink prices - buy whatever you are going to drink offsite when you arrive and keep it in your room. No liquor or beer stores are open on Sunday but restaurants and bars can serve it. Eat at Blue (on-site). Talk to LeRoy at the Concierge desk - he is GREAT; request June as your cab driver. Tell our fish (there's one in every room), "Hi."

Skip going to Georgetown to shop on any day where more than 1 cruise ship is in. There were 4 when we went - it was way too crowded and the people were gross.

I would not consider this an appropriate "family" vacation; there is very little for children to do.

18  Thank h8cruises

Sunshine Suites Resort
#7 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Compass Point Dive Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Reso...
#4 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman? Share your experiences!