“I would recommend both Cayman Island and ther Ritz Carlton.”

The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Reviewed September 26, 2009

My Husband and I just got back from a 5night stay in Grand Cayman. We stayed at the Ritz Carlton, which as other have reported is very nice and certainly met expectations as far as the room and the pool area were concerned. We arrived on September 18th and departed the 23rd. While we were aware that September is typically a quiet month on any island, we did not realize, nor were we made aware, that several of the restaurants on the resort were closed. Fortunately there are enough restaurants in the area it was not a problem, but it was a bit disappointing.

When we arrived at the hotel, it was after 11PM due to some lovely flight delays. We were hungry but not that hungry, and our only option was room service, which can be expensive and the meals were more than what we wanted. We were very pleased when we were both able to order something smaller off the kids menu. The size of the meal was just right, as was the price!

I also must comment on the staff at the Ritz. We had recently been to St John- Westin and we have never encountered such rudeness, anywhere. The staff at the Ritz far exceeded our expectations. They were friendly everywhere we went. The concierge was very helpful, the valets, the housekeepers, the waitstaff, the folks by the pool. Everyone we encountered smiled or said hello, asked how our stay was going. Simon at the pool bar had a great personality and was fun to talk with. It was very refreshing.

The last day we were at the Ritz, we found out that they were renovating the pool bar. They had moved it off to the side so you could still get service, but it was awkward and we were glad the regular bar had been open during the weekend. It sounded like the bar would be out of commission for about a month or so.

The weather while we were there was very up and down. Most mornings were great and the evenings were typically good however any given day between noon and 4pm there were severe thunderstorms. We expected showers on the island, but these were much heavier. As it is hurricane season, some rain was expected but this was more than expected.

We were able to sneak in a couple of SCUBA Diving trips. We had made arrangements through Sea Sports Diving prior to arriving on the island. As their boat was being worked on during the slow season, we actually went out with Kevin, a dive master from Sea Sports, on a boat from Ambassadors Diving with the captain/ dive masters Jason and Martin from Ambassadors Diving. Kevin was great, he seemed to know the area well. Jason and Martin from Ambassadors were excellent to deal with as well. They all provided a good mix of fun and professionalism. The first day we went to White Stone Canyon and Andy’s Reef. The second day we went to Lemon Dropoff,. At the end of our dive, we encountered an emergency situation with a dive boat at the next mooring over from us (Eagle Ray Pass.) We went over to assist with the situation and I was impressed with the level of calmness and overall manner in which our divemasters both informed us of what was going on, as well as the way they jumped in (literally!) to help the fellow divemaster with his situation. I would not hesitate to contact Sea Sports Diving or Ambassador Diving again in the future.

The next day we went out again with Martin, from Ambassadors Diving, to see Sting Ray City. Very cool. There were lots of snorkel groups, if you don't dive, and well worth the trip. My husband actually fed the Sting Rays squid from his hand. I was wimpy and was content just petting them as they swam by.

We toured the downtown area of George Town. There were some nice shops and restaurants there. I would image it gets quite crowded during the busy season, especially with the many cruise ships which come through. For us it was relatively quiet, we grabbed lunch at Margaritaville and shopped around.

The two restaurants which we found to be our favorites were the burgers at Sunshine Grill at the Sunshine Suites Resorts. The other, which we went to twice and for pizza both times, was Rigazzi. This is in Buckingham Square Plaza and is a really good italian restaurant. The prices at both are relatively reasonable, which was of great appeal, but the food was good as well.

We took a trip around the island, and drove through Hell. Really. It is a very small town on the island but a must do, just to say you have been to Hell and back! On this same trip we visited the Turtle Farm and the Dolphin Habitat. We were mixed on the Turtle Farm, it was cool to see all these sea turtles up close, but their practices are a big questionable. The Dolphin Habitat was cool because you could just walk out and see the folks training the dolphins, putting on a little show. That was fun. I think worth seeing. We only paid $18/ person to see just the Turtles. For $46/ person there was more but it did not interest us so we passed.

All in all this was a great trip. The SCUBA sites were excellent, there was plenty to see and do. I would recommend both Cayman Island and ther Ritz Carlton. I would not recommend going in September. It sounds like November to June is definitely the time to go!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 7, 2009

We just spent 7 of the most wonderful nights at this hotel for our 15th wedding anniversary. We were upgraded to an ocean view room which was so convenient to the beach. When we arrived in our room, we were surprised by a thoughtful card from the concierge staff and delicious chocolate covered strawberries. That same night, we were surprised again by the evening Maid sprinkling fresh orchid flower petals on our floor and bed with 2 elegant swans kissing one another created by white cotton towels. That evening for dinner at the Sushi restaurant, we were delighted and happy to receive 2 complimentary glasses of champagne and an appetizer that was not on the menu which was especially created for us by the chef. The service was great. The beach concierge was always attentive to provide us with fresh towels and prepare our beach chairs placing soft white cotton towels on them and putting up the individual sun awning. The staff was so pleasant and attentive offering cold drinks/smoothies and tasty food for purchase. Often supplied were complimentary cranberry and pineapple juice in cups on the beach. I played 9 holes of golf at the Ritz one day with lessons with their golf Pro Tim, and it was fantastic. We had a great time! The course was beautiful, and Tim had a super personality with fantastic advice to improve my game. There were complimentary lap tops to borrow from the concierge at all hours to check email. USAIR lost our luggage, so we had nothing, but the front desk was so kind to provide a lovely bag of toiletries. Also, the concierge tracked our luggage with USAIR representatives on our behalf, so we would not have to deal with that stress. We were thankful that our luggage arrived around 10PM that evening. We can not say enough about this resort, we had such a lovely time. We will go back!! The beach was white sand, and the water a balmy 87-90 degrees. My husband scuba dived with Seasports diving, and they brought their boat right up to the Ritz Carlton beach to pick him up and drop him off. I attended a Pilates class at the hotel, taught by fitness instructor Grace. To my surprise, I was the only one there due to the slow season. This was lucky for me, as I had personalized training. Grace was amazing; she pushed me, but knew my limits. Her instruction was clear, and I learned a lot about Pilates, especially the breathing and how to do poses correctly.

1  Thank rosepetal100
Reviewed August 28, 2009

My wife (28 y/o) and I (32 y/o) stayed at the Ritz from August 3 – August 8. While I have stayed at Ritz’s before (Phila, DC and Orlando), I wouldn’t consider myself a regular at upscale resort properties, although I do travel with work (Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum), so I have a fairly good basis for comparison. We stayed using Marriott points, so we were given the standard room – garden view room in the Resort Tower, although even the standard room was very nice.

The other reviews provide a good view of the property, so I won’t repeat their comments. In short, this is definitely a top notch resort that provides excellent service, good food and nice amenities, although this comes with a price.

I’ll give a few pros/cons as well as some other considerations:

PROS:
Service: All staff – door men, front desk, concierge, pool & beach servers and house keepers – were extremely friendly and would go out of their way to get you what you needed.

Rooms: Very nice. Even our garden view room in the Resort Tower came with a separate shower/tub, duel bathroom sink, private balcony and a mini-frig.

Pool: The pool was large enough so that it was never crowded. I’m not sure how full the resort was during our visit, but there were always plenty of chairs available. As with other beach resorts, people will ‘save’ their chairs and then disappear for hours before returning. Despite this, there were always plenty of chairs available.

CONS:
Price: I know it’s been noted on most reviews, but the prices, especially food, can get annoying. Yes, I realize I’m on vacation, but when lunch by the pool (salad, burger and 1 soda) costs US$70 everyday, it gets old. We ate breakfast in our room each morning to save some money.

Other considerations:
Family-oriented resort: Probably due to the time of year we visited (August), most of the guests at the hotel were families. A decent amount of families had small children, who were running and splashing around the pool. It didn’t both us, but may bother some couples who are looking for a quiet, relaxing day by the pool. There is another pool on the Resort Tower side of the resort which was generally empty and much quieter.

Grocery store: A fully-stocked grocery store is a 5 minute walk from the Ritz. Besides food and drink, the store also has other amenities (suntan lotion, toiletries, etc.).

Resort fee: Along the lines of my ‘price’ comments noted above, there is a $30/day resort fee, which includes wi-fi, gym access (very nice), beach chairs/towels, etc.

Duty-free: I’d recommend stopping for liquor at duty-free in the US before departing for Grand Cayman. I can’t recall what bottles of liquor cost in the Caymans but a case of beer cost approximately US$50.

Sting-ray City: We used Captain Dexter’s Fantasea Tours to go to Sting-ray City. We enjoyed the trip and would use them again. It cost US$35/person and that gets you a trip to Sting-ray City and then snorkeling at a separate location.

Walk to the pool/beach: A lot of people have complained about the walk from the Resort Tower to the pool. I didn’t time it, but it couldn’t have been more than a 3-4 minute walk. It was a non-issue.

In summary, we definitely enjoyed our stay and would return. The service and amenities are what you would expect at the Ritz, albeit at a Ritz price.

Feel free to contact me with any questions.

8  Thank gvreilly
Reviewed August 23, 2009

Just returned from a 5 night trip from the Grand Cayman. Stayed at the Ritz in an ocean front room. Couldnt say enough about the great service and personal attention begining with the Front desk, all the way to the Housekeeping staff and the restaurant staff. Beautiful hotel, well kept garden and grounds. The walk from the lobby to the beach and the room was not as bad as others have mentioned. That is great exercise and relaxation as u walk the lobby and the gallery , past the fountains, it felt like transcending into a totally different world. Food is somewhat expensive, however careful planning like the breakfast buffet that was included as part of the package along with planned dinners can keep costs to a minimum. The beach is extremely beautfiul and both my spouse and I were able to run barefoot on the beach for approximately 6 milesand One of the best experiences in a lifetime. The gym has high quality equipment and is well maintained and superb. The complimentary Yoga class and the Kids yoga were very popular. The staff at Seven , PeriWinkle and Blue were extra friendly. Conceirge was very helpful in arranging the tours. The Ambassadors of the Environment program was complimentary and my child had a great time with multiple programs. I am usually not as cut off from work, but the stay at the hotel and the beach had me very relaxed and even finish a couple of books. The only part I wish was different was the size of the balconies . Wish they were large enough to host 2 lounge chairs instead of just 2 chairs. But the rest of the hotel, staff and the island more than made up for this. Overall a great stay and a relaxing vacation.

Reviewed August 22, 2009

This is my first review and I felt I must write it since I relied so heavily on everyone else's reviews prior to this trip. My husband and I were looking for a summer vacation that involved hot weather, blue water, and luxury. We accomplished all three here. Having previously stayed at the One & Only Palmilla, our standards were fairly high. I've never stayed at a Ritz, but must say, it got nicer and nicer as the week went on. The attention to detail, the decor, and the service were wonderful. This is what you are paying for!

We stayed in the garden view rooms and didn't regret it once. Our view was just fine and the location worked well for us since we were close to the gym, the restaurants and the spa. For every person who has gone on and on about how far of a walk this wing is from the beach, all I can think is that they just don't exercise much. It's not far. Expensive, yes, but you just have to put it out of your mind before you get there. Nothing was a suprise after reading all of the previous reviews. 2 fruity drinks cost about $30. A lunch at Periwinkle with 2 drinks cost us $75 one day, but we balanced it all by eating breakfast in the room (they let you clear out the mini fridge for your stuff if you want). We also ate at Eats Cafe for breakfast a few times. Short walk and very good. $20. Don't miss the fish tacos at the Sunshine Grill either (yellow hotel behind Eats shopping center). And yes, Capt. Marvins was fine for Stingray city and cheaper.

Blue was PHENOMENAL! I must say. I would suggest going all the way if you go. We were going to go off the a la carte to save money, but I think that would have been a mistake. We went with both tasting menu's and shared so we could try everything on the menu. If we had stuck with just one dish, I think it would have been lost on us. Worth every dime, but then I'm a foodie. Cost with a bottle of wine= $420USD.

The pool was great, though we never went in. Stuck with the beach and their covered chairs. Cushy and cozy. The water was crystal and they never had a shortage of rafts, chairs, or floating islands (which I could see folks fighting for in the busy season). No need to rush down at 9am to save a seat at this time of year. We don't have kids and worried it would be too "family friendly", but it wasn't a zoo or anything and we quite enjoyed the families. No screeming kids running around or anything. Also, grab the snorkel stuff and walk down the beach to the reef about 100yds out. Well worth it. Oh, and the car- you don't really need to rent one. The island is fairly boring, so we got a jeep one day (Avis at the Ritz) and had the whole thing covered. For us, a rental for the week wouldn't have been worth it. Took a cab to Calypso Grill ($21) and the food was good, but I would travel the world to get the sticky toffee pudding dessert again. Don't miss it... I'm telling you! Pappagallo italian was great also- we hit this up when we had the jeep, so saved the cab fare. Spa was amazing if you are good to drop the money. The service and enviornment was top notch!

That's about it. I've heard this is a quieter island, which was fine by us. Expect to spend money, but it's so worth it!! Enjoy.

3  Thank Capitolhillsnob
Reviewed August 20, 2009

Just a great week in a spectacular, wonderful location. The entire staff here is 5 star. If you are looking for a bargain, however, look elsewhere!

Reviewed August 20, 2009

A fter first booking at the Westin and not getting a very comfortable feeling, I ckecked into the Ritz packages. From the minute I asked about services and amenities I was impressed. The staff is incredible and made our trip a delight. They cater to your every need and do it with a smile! The price is high, but they don't nickel and dime you to death for the extras that you use on trips, ie; internet, breakfast ,bottled water ,beach equipment, use of the gym, extra fridge etc. Housekeeping just kept offering more shampoo, lotions, whatever we needed. One very kind housekeeper even came back with aloe for our sunburn!!!

The cost of the food and drinks can be staggering!!! $20.00 for a pina colada was too much, but you just look at what is reasonable on the menu. You won't get a bad meal so enjoy. Just remember gratuatity is already included on your bill.

My only negative is that there wasnt any activities for my older teens and 20yr old. in the evening. It would be good of the hotel to incorporate something for the younger crowd.

All in all, I wouldn't stay anywhere else on 7 Mile Beach!