“Impeccable!”

The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Reviewed June 10, 2009

So... this review is LONG overdue, but thought it should be noted!
I am currently helping my sister search for a resort hotel for her upcoming wedding and am reading lots of hotel reviews... About 1 1/2 years ago my husband and I planned our wedding for the Ritz-Carlton in Grand Cayman...OOPS...hurrican season was still upon us. About a week before the wedding date, my wedding planner at the Ritz called to tell us that they were going to have to make the call as to if they would allow us to go forward with the wedding the upcoming weekend due to an uninvited guest, Hurricane Dean. The call was made and after 6mos. of planning, in a week's time, the Ritz-Carlton helped us move our wedding, guests and all, to their St. Thomas location!!!! And wow, I wouldn't have changed a thing. Of course, there were a few details that were lost along the way, but none of our guests knew the difference. The staff was amazing and so attentive to details. It was a beautiful week of memories and in the end, made for a great story!
As a thank you to our wedding guests and the Ritz, we brought 28 of our closest friends with us to Grand Cayman for our 1 year anniversary! That too is a wonderful resort and the food, INCREDIBLE, especially the Sunday brunch! Well worth the price! Staff and hotel impeccable!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank ASHloves2travel
There are newer reviews for The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman

Reviewed June 4, 2009

My husband and I spent 5 night here at the end of May. I am 5 months pregnant, so this is the last trip we will take by ourselves for a while. The Ritz was beautiful and relaxing. The rooms were spacious and clean with GREAT ocean views. I recommend paying to stay on the ocean side for the view. This is an expensive hotel on an expensive island, so do not book here if you are worried about spending money, because you will spend a lot of money. Come to enjoy the view, the ocean, the service, and the luxury. The spa was wonderful. We both had the best massages we have ever had. We ate room service 3 times and it was always prompt and delicious. Make sure to hit happy hour at Bar Jack. Pitchers of beer or magaritas and chips and salsa for $25. Blue was incredibly good, and the service was amazing. All in all, a wonderful vacation in paradise!

Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank OceanLiz
Reviewed June 2, 2009

My husband and I went to Cayman Island from 5/23 to 5/27. This was our first trip to a Caribbean Island and Ritz hotel. We knew we wanted to have comfortable bed and beach to relax and enjoy the weather. Ritz provided most clean and comfortable bed with a turn down service everyday.

I'm not a good swimmer but the beach was calm enough for you to enjoy the water. I saw a school of fish once but that was it. The staff bring cold towel and sample drinks here and there so you will be well hydrated when you are out there. The spa access was free and it was a lovely place to sit back and relax before dinner. We stayed at garden view room and it is a walk to beach but they show local artists' works that made the walk so much better.

It's expensive to eat at Ritz so we dined at the restaurants near the hotel, Eats cafe, Yoshi Sushi and etc... It's must more cheaper and good food.

There is not a lot of activities on site but there will be plenty of beach, sun and friendly staff at Ritz. I can't until we go back again.

3  Thank MayWedding06
Reviewed May 29, 2009

My Wife and I stayed at the Ritz for 3 nights.  I used my Marriott points to pay for the entire trip, so I caught a break on the room.  However, the food and drink prices at the Ritz are off the charts.  For example, a rum punch cocktail from Bar Jack, which is the poolside lounge bar, will run you around 16 dollars!  I think we spent around 120 dollars for lunch one day, and that included just a couple drinks and burgers.As a Marriott Platinum member, I consider myself a very seasoned traveller having stayed at some really nice properties around the world.  The Ritz is a very pretty hotel.  The grounds are well kept and the room was very clean.  The staff is very helpful and courteous.The beach was awesome and the water is crystal clear in Grand Cayman.  The surf was calm during the entire stay.  The Ritz offers lounge chairs free of charge on the beach and they were very comfortable.Here are a few recommendations for the trip.  Go to Eats Restaurant for a cheap, good breakfast.  It is located in the shopping center right down the street from the hotel and within walking distance.  Yoshi's is next to Eats Restaurant and we found the sushi to be very good and reasonably priced.Overall, we had a great trip and would most likely visit again.

2  Thank joecip01
Reviewed May 26, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Ritz for 4 nights in late January, as a brief respite from another chilly New England winter. He used his Amex Platinum card to book the room, so we got an upgrade from a garden view to an oceanfront room for the last 3 of our 4 nights.

As others have said, we found that it made a big difference to look out the sliding glass door and see bright blue ocean and white sand, instead of trees and a green lawn. Plus being able to just walk in off the beach, past the pool, into the elevator, and there's your room. It just felt much more like we were in a special place, which for me is a big part of making me happy on vacation. But without the Amex upgrade, we wouldn't have paid the extra few hundred a night and would have stayed somewhere cheaper but oceanfront.

The hotel is lovely - spotless and elegant (even though a little British garden party than Caribbean in its decor), the staff all-around warm and helpful, and the pool and beach areas absolutely beautiful. We had the buffet breakfast everyday (also because of Amex) - good selection, easy to go overboard! We also used the fitness center, which is very nice and pretty big (~5 each of treadmills, bikes, etc).

If you can afford it, or if you have an Amex that will get you an upgrade, you'll really enjoy staying in an oceanfront room here.

For Grand Cayman itself, we chose it for diving (see my earlier review of Seasports!) and for the ease of getting there and around. Above water and off the beach, there isn't much to do, but it is a very clean, orderly, friendly island. We had no problems using the public transit system one afternoon - as others have said, just hail one of the little mini buses as it comes your way, and it will take you into town. Cheap and easy. We also had lovely (but pricey) dinners at Calypso Grill, the Cracked Conch, and Reef Grill. And if you do stay at the Ritz, a great place to grab lunch is across the street at the Sunset Suites - the restaurant there makes delicious fresh fish tacos! Our dive leader told us about it.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mecclest
Reviewed May 26, 2009

My husband and I had a heavenly experience at the Ritz. From the moment we checked in, the service was unbeatable. The setting is amazing, the rooms beautiful and the food is good. To be fair, we did not eat at Blue, but overall the food was good - not great.

The hotel was far from full, but the pool was bustling every day. If you want to guarantee some shade and a bit of relaxation - renting a beach cabana is the way to go. It's pricey - but we loved it. We wanted a bit of peace and quiet. Each day we had the cabana it was set up with chairs in the cabana and a separate set of chairs positioned in the sun - just outside the cabana. A full bucket of bottled water in ice was delivered each morning - and drinks/food were promptly delievered whenever we wanted to order something. The main pool was warm and inviting! Whether we were on the beach or at the pool, employees were always quick to set up our chairs and umbrellas.

Also worth the price - booking a sting ray/snorkeling excursion through the Ritz. Our catamaran was large with plenty of room to spread out - and a very nice crew. We encountered other boats out there literally overflowing with people - hanging off the sides - looking crammed in (and unhappy).

PACK SERIOUS SUNSCREEN or you will get fried. I cannot tell you how many people were lobster red and in pain. The breeze took the edge off and made the weather very enjoyable.

The gym had a very nice set up - with plenty of machines, water, etc. It did appear a bit "untended" at times - with dirty cups sitting around, etc. We didn't get to take any group classes, but the facilities were terrific.

The artwork in the hotel was interesting, as was the vast array of jewelry on display. If you want to pick up something special - it won't be hard here!

The rooms and housekeeping were very nice. We were fortunate to get a complimentary upgrade (almost certainly because of the relationship our travel professional has with the hotel), and the room was fabulous. I would note that there were occasional bumps on the property - some pieces of furniture showing some wear and tear - and one hallway near our room that was damp and had an unpleasant smell. Overall, the property is gorgeous - inside and out.

At the resort , and on the island, we found friendly service and devoted hospitality. It stood in stark contrast to what we've experienced elsewhere in the Caribbean. There are so many beautiful spots to visit, but we often find service lacking. Not in Grand Cayman!

Our favorite off-resort meal was easily at the Calypso Grille. I'll write up a review of that. Food and atmosphere were unbeatable - along with more good service.

In the end - the only real negative was having to leave. By the way - getting in and out of the airport was exceptionally easy.

6  Thank lu93
Reviewed May 21, 2009

From the moment we arrived, the service was top notch. Team ran out to get our bags and whisk them away to our room. Then we were personally escorted to the room while we got a briefing on the property. All the staff members throughout the stay were above average and very nice I have to say. The property felt very modern and clean (no musty odors you sometimes get with beach hotels). We had an oceanview room, and the view definitely delivered, really breathtaking. The beach area was also great. The water is calm and crystal clear, sand was white. The beach was pretty crowded overall, but we always got led straight to a chair, no matter what time of day we showed up. The hotel is very expensive for food and drinks and other items. But what do you expect from a luxury 5 star hotel? You're on vacation, splurge a little.

1  Thank digitalfront