After reading all of the reviews in Trip Advisor I thought that I would be writing a stellar review myself but that's not the case. From the reviews it sounded like this place was going to be a real gem. My husband and I are middle class working folks who like to splurge when we travel. I'm not a big shopper and normally only spend money on our necessities. That's why when we travel we really appreciate staying at a fine hotel.
We stayed at the Ritz Grand Cayman over the Thanksgiving holiday. November 30th was the last day of Hurrican Season and the end of the low season. I always like to book the cheapest room at a really nice property hoping to get an upgrade. Didn't get an upgrade in this case. I do all of my research on TripAdvisor and always read how everyone is always getting an upgrade but hasn't happened to me yet. Keeping my fingers crossed.
We had the reconnect package which includes $100 credit each day plus breakfast for 2. This is really worth it since the buffet breakfast runs about $30 per person. Would highly recommend booking the reconnect package because it sure is nice to see credits on your final bill.
First: The Ritz has two buildings. One is on the ocean side and the 2nd one is across the street. The ocean side is where the Residences are plus they also rent ocean front rooms. This is definitely the most desirable side to be on. If you can swing the cost I would recommend staying here. The design of the hotel is in favor of The Residence so if you're can't pay the higher cost to be on the ocean side be prepared to walk, and walk, and walk.
Now for the other side: We had a room on the 4th floor, room 468 garden view. There was a garden view but also a view of 2 streets that run along side of the hotel. The street was probably 200 yards away and we really didn't hear too much traffic. The room was also very lovely.
For some reason the water in our room ran luke warm at best. After a couple of cold showers, my huband complained to the front desk several times and conditions improved our last day there. Also, for some reason, our TV turned on at 3am by itself. The front desk was able to fix this problem as well.
The walk: Well, let me tell you we didn't think that the walk across the street to the beach and pool area would be that big of a deal but after a while it became quite tiresome. I forgot to bring my book down to the beach and decided against going to get it because it would have been a 15 min trek. This was the biggest disapointment of our stay. Don't get me wrong the service was great, the pool and beach were beautiful, and the staff were wonderful. We just wouldn't stay across the street again.
We checked out the Westin next door which is directly on the beach. It's an older hotel and doesn't have the same ambiance as the Ritz but I would consider it to not have to walk 1/2 mile each way.
The Restaurants: We tried several restaurants outside of the resort and had some wonderful meals. The Cracked Conch, Copper Falls, Calypso Grill and Pappagallo. Calypso Grill was awesome and it was difficult to get a reservation even during low season so you should book in advance.
I would stay at this property again but only on the ocean side. Everything on the island is very, very, very expensive so brace yourself.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman, a luxury resort where sparkling blue waters blend seamlessly with the sand and sky to create your perfect Caribbean oasis. Located on an archipelago of three picturesque islands, our Cayman Islands resort offers a breathtaking location unlike anywhere else on earth. From the white sands of Seven Mile Beach to world-renowned restaurants including Blue, by renowned seafood chef Eric Ripert, The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman luxury resort offers guests an unforgettable escape from the everyday. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Marriott, BookIt.com, Odigeo and Jetsetter so you can book your The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ritz-Carlton Grand Cayman Hotel Seven Mile Beach
- Grand Cayman Ritz Carlton
- Ritz Seven Mile Beach
- Seven Mile Beach Ritz-Carlton
- The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman Cayman Islands