“Great trip to the Ritz at Grand Cayman”

The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Reviewed September 6, 2008

Our family of four stayed here for 8 days in a 2 queen bed room overlooking the side pool. Overall, staff was very friendly, room was clean and well maintained, and the beach and service very nice.

We ate at the hotel restaruant "7" several times for lunch and dinner. Buffets are a little pricey but good. They ahve a lobster and steak night and several other themes throughout the week.

We did eat at Eduardo's italian restaurant a few minute walk from the hotel and the dining experience was well worth it. To the left of the hotel is a place called Eats where they serve a huge menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner and at reasonable prices. Also, a few minutes walk from the hotel is a large grocery store. Overall, the hotel has a wide variety of eating options of various budgets in the event you never want to leave the grounds.

Exercise facility is first class with several exercise classes offered per day like yoga, pilates, core training and more...

Snorkeling at the Ritz is good and the beach area is really nice...all sorts of water activities are at the Ritz beach area....We went parsailing, snorkeling, kayaking and more...

I have to say the highlight of the vacation was going to StingRay City. We went with Red Sail which was arranged through the hotel and they pick you up and take you to the boat. Great staff and experience...In fact, we like it so much we went again but with Captain Crosby Sting Ray City Tours to try something different. He took just our family out and stopped at Sting Ray City then went close by to the Great Barrier where the snorkeling was incredible...the water was unbelievable and fish everywhere...just beautiful. We also went snorkeling at Eden Rock where we saw a lot of fish but it was raining so visibility was impacted...

The Turtle Farm is also a neat destination and worth the visit. I would not spring for the full tour but just the turtle portion.

Overall, great trip and would go again...

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank onemorechance
There are newer reviews for The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman

Reviewed August 29, 2008

We just returned from a 5 night stay at the Ritz.It is one of the nicest properties we have ever seen.US Air lost our luggage ,but the folks at the Ritz were very accomodating and made many calls on our behalf in an attempt to locate the missing luggage.
The staff in general was friendly, very competent and the facilities are top notch.
We only ate on the grounds a couple of times but the food was excellent.As many have reported, the Caymans are expensive but we had many very good meals at local restaurants close to the Ritz.We did not rent a car but do use the local bus( really vans ) to visit Georgetown.If you like jewelry stores, there are many choices.Not really much else to see. We did not go to StingRay City.
The island itself is flat and not very pretty.The beach was sandy, the water was very warm and the weather was great.
The main attraction for us was the beach, the pools and the Ritz itself.This is a 5 star property!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank billo1409
Reviewed August 26, 2008

My family had the pleasure of staying at this property last week. It was fabulous. It is hard to find fault with any detail.

Room/accomodation ~ We booked a 1 bedroom suite @ the REserve. This is a great set up for anyone with a family. We had a full kitchen that featured a Sub-Zero fridge & Viking range. Not that I was there to cook, but it's nice to have a fully stocked enclave to retreat to.

POOL/BEACH - Yes, the pool was crowded but we never had a problem getting chairs. The pool near Perwinkle was always empty. I also never had a problem finding a chair on the beach. The pool attendants are attentive. Only negative is that one day during our stay a young guest "did their business" in the pool and it was closed from 5pm until almost 12noon the next day. The Ritz staff took the matter very seriously & loaded the pool w/ chlorine & shock to kill any bacteria.

RESTAURANTS~ we ate all meals at the hotel. In fact, we didn't leave the property for 6 straight days. The breakfast & lunch buffet is nice for kids, because age 5 and under are free. While the buffet concept may not appeal to many guests of a 5-star hotel, the food presentation was top notch. Also had several meals at Periwinkle. The staff was so attentive, they even offered to go off property to find a particular bottle of wine my husband requested.

OVERALL IMPRESSION - The world class staff is what makes this property shine. They will do whatever it takes to make their guests happy. Is it cheap, no. But you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank LUVSTT
Reviewed August 24, 2008

When planning this vacation we had 3 major criteia that had to be met. 1)Pristine, PERFECT beaches 2) Luxury accomodations 3) Good food.

Seven Mile beach, is AMAZING. I grew up in the caribbean and i have to say that this beach really trumps any others that I have been to. If you are looking for one of the best beaches in the caribbean, you cannot go wrong here. Beaches A+

The Ritz is a beautiful resort. The rooms, though not my style, were very nice clean and roomy. We did stay on the other side of the street but it is really no big deal at all. It is a short walk through an airconditioned walkway and would be the same distance at any large resort.

The staff was amazing. I litterally felt like I was being waited on hand and foot. Everytime i went in the ocean or pool I came back to my chair to find fresh towels. They also periodically bring around complimentary refreshments, fruit, cold towels etc...

For Luxury they get an A.

I would like this to be a perfect review but am affraid that the food was a bit lacking for the pricepoints.

Overall, though better than most of the caribbean, the food was medicore and expensive. Breakfast could be ordered a la carte and was on average $10- $15. The buffett was about $25 and was just ok.

There were a couple restaurants, an italian place, a sushi bar in the lounge by the lobby, a fine dining place and then the bar by the beach.

Between drinks on the beach and lunch, our daytime tab was also about $100 - $150. I would estimate that we spent about $250- $300 per day on food and drinks.

We did go off property to dinner a few times and like the food much better at restaurants like Deckers (about a 10 minute walk down the street). The food is just as expensive but better.

Overall this was an excellent experience and truly defined "vacation".

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank travelfan414
Reviewed August 21, 2008

Recently returned from the Grand cayman for a quick weekend get away. Stayed at the Ritz carlton. beautiful hotel with fantastic location. Everyone there was super nice and helpful. The beach was unbelievable. It is true that the non ocena front rooms are across the street but a covered air conditioned walkway makes it easy to get to the beach and not much more distance from any other hotel's non ocean front rooms. We did the oculus boat tour which was pricey but very unique and worth it. You could also get free snorkel equipment from the hotel and snorkel right from the beach. need to go out past the ropes to really see anything but did see 2 small squid, a spiny lobster and lots of fish when i did go out that far. Everyone talks about the prices but its still crazy sticker shock when you get there. Can walk about 100 yards to eats restaurant which is somewhat reasonable. there is also a convenience store right by eats where you can get snacks and drinks. We did the reconnect package which added a 100 dollars to our room rate but included free breakfast and a daily 100 dollar credit which you will use if you eat anywhere on the resort. Also did the spa which was nice but maybe not quite worth the money. Only complaints is that the rafts for the ocean and pool are limited and go quickly. Also chairs right in the front row at the beach go quickly. There are also these yellow floating rings they put out that are quite the premium to get, like a mad dash to claim one.
Overall though you get what you pay for...beuatiful, clean hotel, great location, and attentive, pleasant employees.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 20, 2008

We had a great stay at the Ritz. We booked a club room but were upgraded to a suite upon arrival. Unfortunately, we didn't have an ocean view, but we were quite happy with the room nonetheless.

The club room staff were exceptional. Very friendly and helpful throughout our stay, helping with check-in/out, booking diving, recommending restaurants, etc. etc. Enrique, Zully and another fellow from Romania whose name I don't recall, really made our stay that much more enjoyable. Unlike the club room at the Ritz-Carlton Bali, children are allowed, which did make for quite a racket at times which might bother some more than others.

The beach is wonderful, although I imagine it must get pretty crowded in high season.

We had a very good dinner at Blue. Especially happy with the wine selections.

Overall a great (but expensive) stay. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank pangloss
Reviewed August 18, 2008

We just got back from a week at the Ritz. It was wonderful!!! If you want a relaxing, pampering place, stay here. But bring your wallet. :-)

HOTEL/SERVICE - The hotel itself is absolutely beautiful, very clean and nice. Very well manicured. It IS large and a little confusing, but don't let this deter you from coming here. They have staff everywhere, and all you have to do is ask someone. We weren't sure how to get somewhere two times, and each time we came across someone who worked there. All we did was ask, and they didn't just give us directions, they walked us to where we were going. Everything is "my pleasure." Very nice. Can't say enough about the service.

ROOM/HOUSEKEEPING - I'm a clean freak, and the rooms were immaculate. I've read other reviews with housekeeping or turn down service complaints. All I can say is the hotel was full during our stay and they did a great job. They cleaned the room mid a.m. and came back around 8p.m. every single day. They always replenished the Bvlgari toiletries, even when I left several out from previous days that I still hadn't opened (by the time we left, there were 10-15 little bottles on the bath shelf), and at turndown they filled the ice bucket, turned down the bed, left chocolates and put those little mats to step onto by the bed. I also liked the robes. I bought one before we left as a souvenir. My only negative was the shower. It wasn't big enough to step out of the flow of the water and I didn't like that, but it was minor. (And I'm not big, I am a size 6/8). The shower didn't bother my husband at all.

We had a room on the 5th floor by the quiet pool. Even when there were parties in the evenings, it wasn't noisy inside the room. We went to the beach only a couple of days. One day we were a few rows back, and another time we got out there early afternoon, and it looked full, but they found us chairs on the front row. We were only out there a few hours (the sun is brutal) but they came by with fruit kabobs, smoothies, water and cold towels during that time. The beach waiters were very available, I think those with issues posted here just must be really high maintenance. I never wanted for anything while we were out there.

MEALS - We ate at SEVEN one night on the beach and it was good, but our favorite meals were off property. My favorite was CALYPSO GRILL, the best tuna I've ever eaten!! Go before the sun goes down so you can watch the boats/fisherman. My husband's favorite meal was sea bass at THE REEF AT ROYAL PALMS. Very good food also, and a beautiful ocean view of the sunset while you're dining. The waiters are used to taking pictures of people while the sun sets, so feel free to ask. The Ritz concierge made our reservation and suggested we take a cab there and then walk along the beach on the way back. Very good suggestion. It was very nice. I do have to say I read about the 'no see um's' and they do come out after dark. We had bug spray but it didn't get bad enough to use it. Also EATS was fine for breakfast or lunch. It was close by and cheap, which is hard to come by on Grand Cayman. We were tired one night and had a local pizza place deliver to our room but I don't remember the name of the place. Also, EDUARDO'S was good and only a short walk from the hotel.

SAVING MONEY - If you want snacks in the room, request a refrigerator before you get there. We did and were not charged for it. Then we walked to Foster's Food Fair and stocked our fridge. I did not think Foster's was expensive compared to home. Eating out was expensive, but not the grocery store in my opinion. I think we spent $50 and had more than we needed for the week.

We checked out a couple of movies from the concierge. We heard they charge you a $30 late fee, but we kept one movie for three days, I just kept calling them to say we wanted to keep it. I forgot to call the last night and they put a $30 charge on the final bill, but they removed it when we turned it in before we left, so I think it was just a fee if you kept the movie.

Also we used snorkel gear from the hotel, also no charge. There is good snorkeling just a little walk right off the beach at the Ritz and also out in front of Governor's close by. The water hammocks were hard to come by but who cares when you have those incredibly comfortable lounge chairs and can walk right into the water to cool off.

EXCURSIONS - Stingray City was our favorite. We went through Captain Marvin's instead of Redsail, which is what the hotel uses. It was great. Our trip included two additional snorkel stops and was less than Redsail, which went to Stingray City only. We did go on a scuba dive with Redsail and it was good too.

SPA - very relaxing. One of my favorite things about the hotel... it's included in the $30/night service charge. They have everything you need to get ready (even makeup if you ask for it). There are lockers with robes and slippers in them where you can put your things. There's a steam room, sauna and very large whirlpool with circular jets that move around your back. There's a fountain with ice water and sliced lemons and oranges floating in it, and cold towels with ice over them for when you get out of the sauna or steam room. The showers have everything also - shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, razors, shave gel... When you get out of the shower, there are toothbrushes, toothpaste, brushes, volumizer, hair dryers, etc. all right there to use and take with you. Ask for a bag for your things. Then you go out to where the lockers are and there are vanities to put on your makeup and hand cream and body lotion from the LaPrarie product line. Very nice. I didn't get a massage, it was like four times what they are at home. But I absolutely loved the steam room and the sauna and all the little nice extras they have for you to use.

We rented a car one day and really enjoyed it. It was pretty cheap, something like $50 a day, a little more with the insurance and license fee, but not bad. There's a car rental place in an office inside the hotel. Also you can park on the road at no charge. We didn't know that and used valet parking, at $15 per day plus tips each time you get in/out, but it was so nice. I just loved the little valet guys. They were so pleasant. I'm glad we didn't know about the other parking or my husband would've used that instead. :-) Also, we rented the car on a day we knew we wanted to go to Calypso Grill, so it saved us cab fare there and back. We never used the little buses, but we heard they stopped running around 8 p.m.

Driving on the other side of the road was fun. The speed limits are low, so it didn't seem hectic most of the time. We drove around the island and had lunch at the Kaibo Beach Club. Very casual. We sat outside and watched the people come and go on their boats. The food was surprisingly good. We stopped at Rum Point beach and it was gross compared to the beach outside the Ritz. Pine needles, etc in the sand and very crowded. The beach at the Ritz is cleaned constantly and it makes a huge difference. Also, before returning the car the next day, we drove to the gas station to fill it up and it took a whole 2 gallons of gas to fill it up.

The island is very small and flat so don't go to Grand Cayman for the scenery. But the beach at the Ritz and the water everywhere is amazing, the food is good, the people are very nice, and it's safe. It was The Ritz that made the trip for us. I wouldn't go back to see the island, but I'd go back and just stay at the Ritz in a heartbeat. It was a wonderful, relaxing, pampering place. Perfect for our anniversary!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple