“service is incredible”

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Needham, Massachusetts
“service is incredible”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

This Ritz property is stunning, the view from my room was great. After a long drive from the airport I arrived and before i could say anything, I was offered basically unlimited complimentary cookies and lemonade which was quite refreshing.

The woman beind the desk checking me in could not have been nicer and had us on our way in no time. The first impression was great, but everything got better.

Because the property is massive, I was taken on a tour. Once the tour was over I proceeded to go to my room which was spacious with a nice surprise. We had received complementary champagne and strawberry's dipped in chocolate.

The pool is massive which helps with the amount of children swimming because thousands of people could fit into it. The powdery white sand is to die for, but be careful, it heats up pretty fast...ouch. There is a place where you can rent small electric boats and scuba gear. On top of this, there are many things already in the crystal clear water to play on.

All of the restaurants at the hotel are great. There is a very wide variety, if you are looking for something on the cheaper side and casual stroll over to perrywinkles. If you are in the mood for some great sushi head over to the sushi restaurant near the lobby.

One of the best parts of my trip was the private boat and driver/instructor who took us out to stingray city.The experience was incredible.

Although the Ritz can be pricey it is 100% worth every penny. and you will sleep great because the beds are very clean and comfortable. I strongly urge you to visit this Ritz property, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Adam G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (713)
West Bay, Grand Cayman
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Having lived in the Cayman Islands for 3 years, we have dined several times at Ritz-Carlton CI on several holiday occasions.
On all occasions, Ritz-Carlton has gone above and beyond on service and hospitality.
The holiday brunch was on point with great seafood fare and a 'to order' charchurterie station.
The staff were beyond friendly and quick to assist with all matters.
Have a child or children? No problem, pool side activities and beach front umbrellas with plenty of shade,

I can't compliment this establishment enough for their pride and professionalism.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank CAYTLien
Winnetka, Illinois
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We had last visited the Ritz Carlton while still in its building phase. Now years later we had the opportunity to stay there for a short business/leisure trip. First we were upgraded to a ocean-view suite for a meaningless reservation glitch: the room was magnificent! The property is huge yet accessible and welcoming. The staff is polite and helpful beyond expectation. The restaurants and bars are amazing; you can stay on site the whole time! And there is golf right there! Plus the location on 7 Mile Beach is perfect! I wouldn't look anywhere else on GCI!! We won't wait so long for the next visit!

Room Tip: Ocean view provides a glamourous sunset!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank embryo1949
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed December 28, 2013

As we enter the hotel area, we are surrounded by a beautiful garden and greeted by the hotel staff. Once we enter the lobby, they offer cookies and refreshments while we check in. First day, we were put on the other side where we only have the small pool view as they were not completely done with their renovations. The next day, we were moved to the beach side with the nicest view: calm turquoise water with almost white sand and a beautiful pool was our view from the hotel room. I must say the walk to the elevator or anywhere in that matter was long as the hotel has two buildings connected by a bridge, but I don't really mind the walk as we were surrounded by beautiful artworks on those hallways. One day I lost my hat on the beach, so the next day, I told a staff or two about it. About a day passed since I notified them and I got a phone call from a staff that they found my hat, then they sent someone up to my room to hand me the hat. I appreciated all their efforts and service during my stay. I do definitely want to go back there. I wish I can make the Ritz my vacation home half of the time of the year.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Shinybijou
Potomac
Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

Like many families in search of the perfect Spring Break locale, we find The Ritz Grand Cayman never fails. We look for crystal clear "quiet" water, powdery white sand and good food. We have stayed in many resorts and always gave up one of the vacation must haves. Not at the Ritz GC...superior service, very luxurious accommodations, great food on and off properly. Also, the Ambassador of the Environment kids program is a home run, the outdoor beach movie theatre next to the restaurant provides adults an opportunity to have drinks/dinner and still be "right there". Right in the middle of Seven Mile Beach and, most importantly, a long walk from the cruise ship port leads to minimal beach traffic. (note: the marriott Grand Cayman is very close to port and is a beach traffic disaster)

The island is very safe with the highest income averages in the Caribbean. Also, many of the front line employees have worked at the hotel since its opening leading to an institutional understanding of providing high end service.

Ranked #2 on Grand Cayman is silly. The number one Grand Cayman hotel on Trip Advisor is a condo development with a restaurant. The Ritz blows it away.

Stayed April 2013
3 Thank 4Kanes
New York, USA
Reviewed December 25, 2013

I visited Grand Cayman in 1980 and stayed at the Holiday Inn. The hotel was pulled down and replaced by the Ritz Carlton.

I preferred the Holiday Inn. It was small, quiet and the beach was gorgeous full of trees. We would sit in the shade under the trees. The Ritz Carlton cut down the trees and apparently have asked the small condos next door to also cut the trees. They are even willing to pay. The reason is that the wealthy guests are complaining that the trees block the views.

The beach next door at the Caribbean Club was also gorgeous. We used to spend time there. Now it's not as pretty. And the hotel was also replaced by a new building.

The nicest beach remains the Westin next door. However the lobby seemed a bit dated.

There are rows of deck chairs at the Ritz beach. And the swimming area is very narrow. I also found the bar chairs in the water tacky.

However I still enjoyed swimming. The water in the Caymans is among the most beautiful in the Caribbean. Calm and warm.

The day we arrived we had a bomb scare. Helicopters flying overhead. We were unable to go to the room for 2 hours but it was not the fault of the Ritz.

The Ritz is a huuuuuge hotel. So be ready to walk, especially if you have a garden view room. We actually enjoyed walking as it was good exercise.

The room was gorgeous. However one day there was no hot water so we could not have a bath until 2 pm. Also the last day the toilet did not flush properly but it was repaired quickly.

The service is outstanding. Superb. The best I have experienced in all my travels. They come from all over the world.

The food was very good. Sometimes we just bought a delicious croissant in the small shop and enjoyed complimentary coffee in the lounge or on the terrace of our room.

If you have kids it's the place to go. The hotel takes care of them. I was not too bothered by them.

The back pool is the nicest. Nicer than the main pool which is surrounded by concrete.

Would I recommend the hotel? Yes it's gorgeous.

Would I return? Once is enough for me. I think I will go to Anguilla which still reminds me of the Caymans 35 years ago. Smaller hotels are more my cup of tea.

It is the most beautiful hotel on the island in my opinion. However the Westin has the nicest beach. It's 5 minutes away. We would walk over there and swim there. All beaches are public.

One should go to the Caymans at least once. As to restaurants we enjoyed Calypso. Taxis cost about $20 one way. There are restaurants nearby like Luca. But we enjoyed Periwinkle. The food is Italian. The staff there are also great. And it is reasonably priced.

Room Tip: If you can afford it book on the beach. However the back garden rooms are also very pleasant.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank semsemsemsem
Saratoga Springs, New York
Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here December 16-23, 2013 for 7 nights... Our first time at any Ritz... Wow. The rooms were beautifully decorated, spacious and clean. Very comfortable beds. Big bathroom. We had an ocean view room on the 7th floor. PH is 8th. Just breathtaking. The balcony was my favorite place to sit every morning and evening. Sunsets were beautiful. Honestly i just wanted to stay in my room the whole time and enjoy the beautiful room we paid so much for.

Pool area was nice with lots of chairs, although honestly not very comfortable- beach chairs were better and had canopies, and the beach was wide, but crowded. There are 5 rows of chairs! Pool side had many umbrellas. Loved the beds on the beach (but we didn't use them) and my favorite was the floating chairs in the ocean and ring floats way out. Loved getting on top of those and lying in the sun.

7 mile beach is the best beach i have ever been to. White soft sand, calm clear turquoise ocean. This is my 6th trip here. First time to Ritz.

Liked both pools and the one outside hot tub was big, but preferred the pool not on the ocean side as it was too crowded most of the time. Lots of families and kids here. The resort side pool we went to our last day and it was quiet and has hammocks and large cabanas. And very comfortable chairs.

Staff very friendly and accomodating and they knew my name. I was impressed. The same man who met me at arrival remembered me when i left. They were friendly and helpful without being annoying...And the maids were very nice. Came every day. twice a day! I tipped them well at the end. Not many caymanians work at this hotel. It has a very international feel. Romania, russia, Mexico, hungary to name a few of the workers there. Nothing wrong with that but would have preferred a more local feel.

Also wifi worked in the rooms but nit great at the pool. We also had hot water issues in our bathroom shower. Some days could not get a hot shower!

It was a very relaxing experience staying here, but this is a huge resort and there are alot of people here. More pros than cons but the cons are big ones. (Prices/overcrowded beach/long walks if you don't stay oceanside).
Everything about the Ritz is expensive. Our total bill was so ridiculous but i am glad i did it once. Do not stay here unless you are willing and able to spend alot of money and not be upset by it. Honestly to me it was not worth it to spend so much money eventhough the place was amazing.

Ritz is within walking distance of a grocery/ liquor store, which we liked.

Loved the SPA...but massages were ridiculously expensive! Over 200/hour!! craziness. (did not get one, eventhough i could afford it.)
But the spa is a long walk from the ocean side rooms! The woman's sanctuary was the most beautiful i have ever seen. The jacuzzi so relaxing. And loved the expensive La Prairie lotions... Also liked the Cupboard store for chocolate croissants every morning and souvenirs and advil and local cayman paper. And loved the Wave store. Beautiful clothes for men women and kids. It was so expensive (dresses and beach coverups were over 200.00 but i liked them so much i bought many). I loved that store but definitely spent too much money in there. The art gallery was beautiful in the walkway bridge connecting the resort side and ocean side. But again ridiculously overpriced. Local artists.

There was music on monday nights only and a nice cocktail party wednesday night at Seven. Met some nice people.

Every morning the front desk printed The phila Inquirer and boston Globe from the computer for us and pushed it under the door early every morning. I was very impressed with that although we were charged 5.00 weekdays and 7.50 weekends per paper. Still it was nice to have international papers. I would have been more impressed if they had done this for free...

You are charged for everything at the Ritz and it is ridiculously expensive but it was really fun to experience it.

The breakfast buffet at Seven was wonderful but way too expensive. We did it only once.

Stay in the building with the ocean side rooms...more expensive but less walking/closer to beach. Ate at Seven one night. Food was good but did not eat at any other restaurant at the hotel so cannot comment on them. Ate one dinner and sunday brunch at LUCA at the Caribbean Club nearby...highly recommend! Excellent food and less $$ than the ritz..but dinner was still expensive. Loved Luca. Highly recommend it! Had room service a few times. Food was good not great. Lunch at the pool bar Bar Jack was also good everyday. "Eats" down the road was great for breakfast (and less expensive than the Ritz).

Also i did not like the 50/day extra charge per person!...Resort Fee. We did not use any of those services, (except the Spa) so that was a complete waste of money. Our room was 600/night (oceanview at the Ritz), which would have been fine if it had stayed that price our whole stay. (Only Monday-Wednesday was it that price.) From Thursday-Sunday the room rate tripled! Yes tripled. To 1,800/ night!!! It was absolutely crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And since when is a Thursday night considered the weekend??

And there is a 25-30% tax on the room per day!! The price is really ridiculous to stay here but there is no denying that it is an amazing, beautiful hotel. I was pretty disappointed with the cost of this vacation. Never again am i staying at a Ritz anywhere in the world.

If you have the money i would highly recommend this hotel...at least once in a lifetime. It is an impressive, beautiful building. But personally i would never stay here again just because of the price. It is overpriced and too big of a hotel, and honestly not worth the money. But i absolutely loved being pampered for one week and will always remember my time there!

There are other places to stay that are just as nice and less $$. My next visit to the Caymans will be at the Caribbean Club condos
(ranked #1...Ritz is #2)... More intimate and cozy, smaller boutique hotel with huge condos, less people, beach not crowded. Less expensive! And just as nice! Will never stay at the Ritz again but i am very glad i did it once!

Food was good and rooms were beautiful at The Ritz.

My advice is, experience it once, or just avoid it all together and save the money and stay someplace else...

The Ritz is too big and too expensive!

But overall it was a wonderful
experience. That's why it gets 4