“Fantastic Vacation!”

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Dallas, TX
“Fantastic Vacation!”
Reviewed July 3, 2008

This was our second stay at a Ritz for a beach vacation and it was fantastic. We stayed at the Ritz in Jamaica a couple of years ago and it doesn't even begin to compare to the Ritz Grand Cayman! We were so pleased with everything.

**Spa: Expensive, but worth it. Everything was about twice what we have paid at home, but everything was top notch. I had the Silver Rain Pedicure which was relaxing and fun (the french tips were silver instead of the traditional white). My husband had the Swedish massage which he loved. He didn't utter one word about the cost so it was obviously worth it. He said it was the best he had ever had! The decor when you enter the spa was spectacular. At the very least stop by the spa just so you can see the entrance! The steam room, sauna, etc. at the spa are included in the resort fee so you can use them without scheduling a spa treatment.

**Beach: The beach was beautiful and not crowded while we were visiting. We were able to get chairs without any problem. The waiters brought by complimentary fruit, cold towels, cappucino, water & mango smoothies while we were there (not all on the same day). What a treat!! Beverages were a bit expensive throughout the resort so we limited ourselves when by the pool. About $30+ per round for 2 people. The water was perfect and calm. We snorkeled off the beach one day and saw a stingray and lots of fish. The floats and snorkel gear is complementary.

**Dining: We ate breakfast and lunch at 7. It was good. We found ordering off the menu made more sense than the buffet. Portions were plenty big and it costs about $20 less per meal. We also at lunch at Bar Jack one day. Good food. Not too pricey. Service was a bit slow. We ate most meals off property. Eats Cafe across from the Westin is perfect for breakfast and very inexpensive. We also ate at the Sushi place next door (Yoshi?). It was fantastic and also reasonably priced. We took a cab one night to the Reef Grill and that was by far our best meal. Fantastic service, food, price and a view of 7 mile beach! Dinner ran about $150 w/drinks (2 people).

**Room: Well appointed. The bathroom was very nice. What you would expect from the Ritz. Maid service was great for us. No complaints. There was even Woolite for our swimming suits in with the q-tips. Wow! We stocked our fridge with cokes and snacks from the grocery store down the street. I would highly recommend doing this as it will save you a bundle on snacks. $50 worth of snacks kept us away from the mini bar!!

**Activities: We went on 2 excursions w/Red Sail located at Wave near the pool. Price was good and the trips were good (Stingray city w/lunch & West Bay snorkel cruise) but the crews were kind of boring. And nothing but water to drink on the catamaran. If we return (and we probably will) we will go with another vendor. It was still a lot of fun, though.

We plan to return w/our kids in the next couple of years. We were very pleased. There are things we could point out that are insignificant (like the coffee was not great) but in the long run they don't really matter for me choosing a hotel. Book it! You will have a great time!

• Liked — Service!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
6 Thank TravlinTXFamily

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (725)
Naples, Florida
Reviewed July 2, 2008

We have just returned from a five day getaway to the Ritz Grand Cayman and i think our only regret was not staying longer. My girlfriend and I travelled with another couple for a brief respite from our normal lives here in Naples Florida. I can tell you that this is a fabulous destination.

Blue, the signature restaurant, is an experience above most if not all others in the Carribean. The food, the serivce and the ambience are unmatched by any other dining experience i have ever had in the Carribean.

Most of the reviews we read prior were on target though most neglected to point out that the food and service at BarJacks (the pool bar) pales in comparison to everything else at the hotel. The breakfast offerings at 7 were more than adequate... we had complimentary breakfast with AMEX -Platinum so it made sense considering it would be minimum 40$ pp otherwise. Periwinkles for lunch (by the quiet pool) was fantastic.

Everyone has commented that this place is expensive. It is;there is no escaping that fact. Our oceanfront room was 500$ per night plus 20% tax and additional 30$ service fee. (If you are a beachgoer the oceanfront rooms are a must as they offer easy proximity to the sand and surf.)The service fee though accounts for chairs, towels, kayaks, snorkel gear, wireless internet throughout. Even the most modest spender is in for 1000$ per day.

The golf course (9 holes now....eventually 27) was in immaculate condition. The golf staff is as good as it gets. And to that end, ALL of the hotel staff is attentive, courteous and willing to help at the drop of a hat.....except for the beach waiters who tend to make the concept of *island time* into an art form. I cant really even complain about that because i was never really lacking for anything on this trip.

One caveat though...and this has nothing to do with the hotel...do your homework on the area restaurants...some are fabulous..others are horrendous.

I suppose the true test for a hotel is whether or not you will be a repeat guest. I can say that we will be....many times over.

6 Thank thomasg42
NJ
Reviewed July 1, 2008

The Ritz is very asthetically appealing. We had a garden view room. The walk to the beach was less than 5 minutes - I know some people felt it was far but we did not. I had an amazing meal at Blue - we had the tasting menu with wine pairing, which I would highly recommend. The beach is pristine.

Unfortunately, we had daily issues with housekeeping that caused me to give this hotel a low rating. In fact, I would never stay at a Ritz again. The policy is that housekeeping comes 2x/day. The first time, I believe, should be between 8:30 and 4:30, then again before 9:30 pm. We were lucky if they came once a day. They were more likely to come at the end of the day and do the turn down service at the same time. Or, no one showed up for the turndown service. And, when they did come, the room was not left clean and they did not restock one or more items daily like coffee, coffee condiment kits, conditioner, glasses, etc. One day we came back to our room at 4:30 and it hadn't been cleaned. Someone came at 4:45 so we had to leave the room after being gone for 7 hours. Also, when I called guest services for missing items, they were never delivered. Our terrace was really sandy so I swept it with a magazine into a pile by the sliding door so housekeeping would see it but it sat there for 4 days. I spilled ice on the floor and when I picked it up it was covered with sand. We took our shoes off in the doorway and rinsed our feet at the beach shower so I can only imagine the sand was from the prior guest. I started leaving notes for the items I wanted restocked and cleaned. At the midpoint of our week stay, guest services called (Jenny) to ask how our trip was and we told her we had housekeeping issues. She was very apologetic and came to room, subsequently having a staff member thoroughly clean it, which was appreciated. He did a nice job. However, he took the bathrobes. When I called guest services for two robes, they never came. I called 45 minutes later, and they brought 2 robes with no sashes so we had to call again. After that, I just tried to ignore it and didn't bother calling for anything anymore. This is really just a drop in the bucket of the issues we had. I clean a lot at home. When I travel, I keep the room very tidy - all garbage thrown away, clothes away, clean surfaces, etc. so I couldn't make it easier for housekeeping unless I changed my own sheets and borrowed their vaccuum. Having to sweep sand, leave notes, make unresponsive phone calls, etc. was really annoying and started to become a focus of our trip, creating friction. My husband ordered a floral arrangement for my birthday to be delivered during turndown service while we were at dinner. They were never delivered. When he called, they said they couldn't deliver b/c we had the "Shhh!" sign in the door. Duh! We had it on the door from 5pm - 8pm while we were getting ready for dinner. The whole point was that it was supposed to be a surprise for me when we got back so why would it be delivered while we were there? Plus, they actually showed up for turndown service that night but just failed to bring the flowers. If anyone from the Ritz reads this and wants to verify this, we had a reservation at Blue for my birthday at 8:30 and we checked in to the restaurant at 8:10 and had a coctail at the bar, so we were gone from the room a long time.

By and large, the concierge desk personnel were not able to answer our questions regarding directions, site seeing, etc. Some were really excellent, but some didn't bother to even try to find the information, and some gave misinformation.

I would not recommend this hotel.

• Liked — beach
  • Disliked — customer service (lack thereof)
10 Thank tmmrd
Boston, MA
Reviewed June 27, 2008

We went to the Ritz for our honeymoon. It was fantastic. Not one negative thing to say. Service was great, beach and pool great.

If you can get the club room I would recommend that. All drinks are included. They have top self everything, and the food was great. It worked out well. Obviously, the Ritz is expensive, so I would not recommend going if you are on a real tight budget. But to give an example of the club room..... The only day that we did not eat breakfast there was the last day. I spent $75 for 2 on bacon, eggs, and coffee, at Seven. It was good food ect, but still 75 american dollars. If we did not have the club room it would have been and extra 500 just for breakfast for the week and double that for lunch. We are drinkers also. For lunch, I had two or three drinks in the club room. Anywhere else in the resort it would be about $10 american each beer, it cost nothing in the club room. It really worked out great going there before and after dinners for drinks.

We had a dinner outside on the beach. 7 sets it up and I hightly recommend it. Downfall is they charge you $200 american just to set it up. So plan on spending allot of $$ for that dinner but well worth it.

We went up and down 7 mile beach and this was BY FAR the best hotel.

If you are looking for a night life Firday night the ritz has a cool DJ in one of there restraunts. Wed night the Reef grill has great bar scene that picks up around 10.

I would recommend this hotel for families, and couples they are kid friendly (which was not a problem) Rooms were great. We had ocean front I would probally recommend that, although you do need to walk 5 min inside to the club room which was no big deal. Wife loved the spa and the gym. All in all it was a great experience. Very relaxing, everyone was friendly, would go again.

2 Thank majoo7
Atlanta GA
Reviewed June 27, 2008

My husband & I almost always stay at Ritz properties because service is important to us. The service at Ritz Carlton Cayman far exceeded our expectations - they understand the importance of great service and have mastered it! This is a very large property that goes from one side of the island (across the street) to the other side of the island. We stayed on the beach side which was great but we did have to walk across an indoor walkway to get to the club level...it was a fairly long walk but we really did not mind.

The spa is absolutely incredible - they thought of every detail... had food set out for you while you waited for your service, allowed you to choose the music to be played in your room during your service, and many other nice details. I even took several fitness classes and was very impressed with the skill-set of the instructor and the intensity of the classes. Even the 9-hole golf course was challenging.

Keep in mind, this property is expensive so if you are looking for a bargain, this is NOT the place but the amenities on this property and the service were so outstanding that we would return without a doubt. If you plan on bringing children (we did not but we would), they have children's buffets setup (even in their finer restaurants about $10) and lots of activities for the children. Would recommend for a couple (they have an adult pool area) and/or for a family...have paddle boats, rafts, snorkeling equipment, etc. The beach is absolutely beautiful (sugar white) and the water is even better...you can see the bottom for what seems like miles which makes for great snorkeling. Hate to keep focusing on service but it was so refreshing to find outstanding service from every area of the resort whether we were at the beach, pool, spa, golf course, etc., that I want to tell the world!

• Liked — Great Service!
  • Disliked — Having to leave!
3 Thank PAC1AtlantaGA
new york, ny
Reviewed June 26, 2008

As far as Ritz Carlton's go this one is the best. The hotel facilities are wonderful and this Ritz goes quite a distance from the "traditional" Ritz look and feel. You still have the large overwhelming building with some traditional furniture, however the restaurants, pools, spa and other areas are all superb and not "typical" Ritz Carlton.

We actually flew down from NY on the same flight as Eric Ripert, who's glorious food we have come to know quite well at Le Bernadin. In Grand Cayman he presides over both Blue and Periwinkle. The restaurants are high end gourmet restaurants in a hotel, not the typical stuffy steakhouse found in most Ritz Carlton's. Even the other restaurant 7 had a wonderful breakfast buffet and a tantalizing dinner buffet.

*(I did not understand the hype over the Parmesan Truffle French Fries, far too oily and a little sickening)

The La Prarie spa is a La Prarie spa. Enough said. You will pay top dollar for top of the line treatments.

Kids club is large and very well run, although there is a hefty charge for the service. Overall the resort is very kid friendly.

Don't miss the opportunity to swim with the stingrays!

The beach is great, plenty of lounge chairs available, and poolside/beachside service is everpresent. This hotel represents the direction Ritz needs to go with other ventures if they are to have a chance in competing as a chain with the Four Seasons properties in the future.

• Liked — Wonderful facilities!
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank scrutinizing
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed June 25, 2008

Just got back from a week's stay at the Ritz. Everything was great, from the room to the service to the breakfast. We were upgraded to one of the reserve suites, which was amazing. Since we were on the ocean side, we really did not spend much time on the other side of the hotel at all. It is almost like two different properties. All of the staff were friendly and helpful, even greeting us by name most of the time. The beach was beautiful, and the people in charge of beach rentals (rafts, snorkel gear, etc.) were great. The breakfast buffet at 7 was delicious and very convenient. We also ate at several off-site restaurants. Casanova's in Georgetown was very good. Alfresco's, which was a bit farther north, was an out of the way place, with great service, great food and a great view of the ocean. There was also a great gelateria closer to Georgetown that had great gelato. The island itself was beautiful and safe, and the people were friendly. We can't wait to come back here and would never stay anywhere other than the Ritz.

• Liked — Room, service, location
  • Disliked — nothing, it was all great!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family