“Fabulous!”

The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Reviewed June 12, 2008

I've just returned from a fantastic stay at the Ritz! It is truly a first class five star hotel... you get what you pay for here! I stayed in a Blue Tip suite with resort view. The room was huge... large parlor area, and the most comfortable bed imaginable. The bathroom is two rooms, all travertine marble and granite with Bvlgari toiletries. Has a Bose cd player, so bring some music. I had club access so most of the time ate there for breakfast and lunch, the food was delicious, something for everyone.

My room did not overlook the ocean, but then again there are no blue tip suites on the ocean side. If you have physical limitations for walking, get an ocean view, because it is quite a walk to the beach.

The beach is gorgeous, the Ritz provides chairs with sunshades and rafts and snorkels, first come first serve of course. I had no problem getting a chair at 9am while the hotel was at 70% occupancy. Also had great waitress service, came by a few times a day. The pina coladas are great, pricey though about $20 US a piece. Just as in the other reviews, if you are on a BUDGET , dont stay at the Ritz.

The pool was nice, thought it would be larger for a hotel this size. Not heated but no need in June, it was 90 + everyday! There are lots of kids at the pool with parents who dont seem to care if they scream all day, so either go to the beach or the quiet pool if you dont like noise. I used my ipod and was very relaxed.

As for the restaurant 7, i would say fair at best, there are much nicer restaurants on the island. I recommend The Wharf, get there about 30 mins before sunset for a great show!

Also Eats across from the Westin has great breakfast for about $10pp, there is also a sports bar Legends next door if you are into sports and love great bar food. A mini mart for other items in that plaza also well price.

Went on stingray catamaran with Red sail which was nice, but you have to be a fairly good swimmer because the water is deep. I recommend their afternoon sail since it goes to a sandbar which is more shallow.

Not much to see in Georgetown unless you are buying jewelry, or the standard tshirt souvenirs.
Taxis are a bit expensive, but i dont think you need a car unless you plan to explore on your own alot. They have tours for just about everything.

By the way, also stayed at the Westin, different hotel class entirely but still is fairly nice. I stayed in oceanfront room #105 and you just walk out a french door and onto the beach. Has wood floors and flat screen tv, looks recently renovated. I would recommend this room type. The sunday brunch was excellent also. Their spa is also more reasonable than the Ritz if this is your thing.

Overall, the island is very safe and clean, no beggars on the beach. The staff at both hotels was very courteous and not as slow as others have said.!!

Everything in Caymans is pricey, so just plan accordingly. You will not be disappointed at the RItz, top notch service, extremely clean, and reasonably priced in the summer months!!!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank slkanesthesia
There are newer reviews for The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman

Reviewed June 11, 2008

We just got back from a fabulous week at the Ritz and although we loved our stay entirely there are some things I want to point out to management ,and perhaps those who like to hear it all, so some improvements can be made to a few areas of this wonderful hotel. 5 star requires this. I, like many of you base many of my trip decisions on reviews and love Trip Advisor for this.

The 7 Brunch on Sunday is exceptional. Champagne flows constantly and this is where we met our first exceptional server (Lkatriana). For the most part all servers at 7 morning or night were outstanding. (Alin) was also outstanding. Can someone please buy a NEW toaster for the breakfast service? The one that is used daily is old and broken and the toast got stuck everyday..this is minor...but I was shocked to see this at the RItz. Breakfast was great every day. We had to laugh at this!

The rooms were just fine. Similar to other Ritz. Appointed nice. WI FI every where but no clocks. The bed was divine and one of the best parts of the visit. Absolutely wonderful! Housekeeping was very kind but slow on many days for the main clean. If you are in a regular ocean front ask for numbers ending in 29,30,31,32 33,34. We were slightly beyond that and had a slightly obstructed view because of a wall, so this limited our sunset view and water view. These rooms I have listed are directly above 7 restaurant and sit right in the middle of hotel with no view obstruction and enclosed balconies with privacy. We probably could have asked to be moved but did not want the hassle.

The long walk over to main building each day took about 5 minutes to walk. We did not mind at all, but if you are not a walker this might be bothersome. It is not quite as intimate as other Ritz hotels because of its size.

7 mile beach is unbelievable. Clean and pristine! It is practically private since most buildings on the seven mile are private condos not hotels. This time of year there was no one around except at the Ritz. Even the Westin down the way was dead. The crowded beach that every one writes about is truly not a problem. I see why it is crowded with the chairs...they want as many people as possible to be beach side if they choose, so they must have tons of chairs in front of their property. If you want complete quiet and isolation just walk a tad to the right or the left of the property line and there will be no one around. The lounge chairs did come with a sun roof option, needed daily, as the sun was brutally hot. It called for rain 100% every day we were to be there but it ended up being occasional passing showers with lots of sun. So do not worry if you check the forecast and it calls for complete rain, chances are there will be more sun than you can handle.
When you come to a place like this it is really nice to have the service all day long at the beach or pool. The beach service was not quite on par with Ritz Cancun, which we always compare top service to. One worker did not know what kind of beer they sold and then told us they just had Bud light and Coors. I thought this very odd but he also had a huffy attitude and we just laughed and said not Ritz material..he wont be here for long. I think he was the only server we felt to be lousy. We did find out the next day there were lots of beer choices. Most of the outside servers were very nice but definitely not as attentive as other hotels we have been to. I also want to know why not one bartender could not make a margarita with fresh squeezed lime ( I did not want the sweet pre mix. I told them many times I wanted a fresh squeezed virgin margarita with no sugar, some how this could not be done. In Mexico they will serve you the fresh squeezed lime juice with the simple syrup on the side. These margaritas tasted artificial...sorry. I thought for sure all Ritz hotels could handle this request. Especially for 12.00 for a virgin juice. It also surprised me that at Bar Jack only plastic cups were served...I can understand at the pool side but this seemed kind of tacky right at the restaurant.

The snorkeling trip, (that also went to Stingray City and Kai), was wonderful. It was 100.00 per person for 3 hours and worth every cent. Captain Mike and Courtney were first rate and the fact that you did not have 40 other people with you made it very comfortable...fresh towels, gear, cold water, fruit...things we were sure other tours did not have.

The staff at Periwinkle was just so so. One night we walked up with out a reservation and at least 6 servers looked at us waiting for a table and no one said hello or we will be with you in a moment or anything. We are very patient people so we did not say a word but the odd thing was the restaurant was not busy at all. Standing almost 10 minutes without a greeting seemed weak. We noticed no management both times during our visit and it was clearly different than the service at 7 where there was always a manager. But we loved the food and one really nice server (Tikna) was delightful.

My husband loves sushi and so we knew we would have a meal at this restaurant. That night we had a waitress, although kind, was virtually not available. Again, there were only 3 tables eating and we both felt the sushi although good was definitely not the best by a long shot. The service and prep at Ritz Cancun Sushi is premiere compared to Grand Cayman and the service at the Mexico restaurant is truly first rate...we were kind of disappointed here. On a high note, the sushi restaurant and lounge is gorgeous and they do a very happening Friday evening with a great DJ.

The spa is fabulous and the fact that you can use the amenities any time was great. We used the gym facility 4 times and found the service and care outstanding. It was nice to go into the spa after and freshen up in steam or whirlpool or showers. What ever you need is there. (Sheila) an attendant in the spa gets a gold star for stellar service and having the kindest heart ever. Thats what the Ritz is about! Our facials were great (2 for 432.00), so if you are on a budget this can add up quickly. Wonderful comfort and treatments! I would have done a lot more if I was not pregnant in first trimester.

Another GOLD star goes to the concierge LEROY...wonderful service at all times from him...very kind and personable gentleman!

We ate off property twice. Once at a fabulous Indian restaurant (Gateway of India) just down the street (ask for Tony the owner) and (Casanovas) classic Italian another night. Very fun casual spot just in Georgetown. All the cab drivers over charged us, as we were told they would from the locals, but there were no other options.

One day we rented a jeep 84.00(rates were lower on other small cars) from Ritz and took a ride around the island. Very quiet and remote. If you like to snorkel, some of the best snorkeling is found along many reefs right off the road near North side. We had a great lunch at Over the Edge. Great fish sandwich. Rum point was quiet the day we were there and it was a great spot to take a dip and cool off from the heat.

The hotel is super kid friendly and we estimated 60% of the people there had kids. The pool did get very crowded with kids during the day but we found most extremely well behaved. The pool on the other side of the hotel is the quiet pool but hardly anyone spends time there...so if you want private, this is the place to go.

My one last comment and my biggest request for hotel is to fix the smell that lingered daily just inside the door going into hotel next to Cupboard boutique and also in that main elevator right after that entrance. The smell is of damp, mildew and almost mold like. We were very surprised it smelled every time we walked by this area and did no one else notice this?? It was horrible. I think it was from wet carpet or a leak from the rain. We were not sure and I forgot to let the staff know about this while we were there. I just held my breath while I passed threw this hallway. This was definitely not the smell of Ritz.

With over 900 employees that come from all over the world, (62 nations we were told), This is truly a melting pot. We found it delightful to talk to everyone about where they had come from. We also felt the entire island to be extremely safe and friendly and well maintained. There is lots of property for sale around the entire island so who knows how things will remain.

Thank you for the wonderful birthday gifts and also the gift you sent tour room after you found out I was pregnant. We enjoyed our visit very much. Thank you Ritz Carlton and Grand Cayman.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
7  Thank bobolito
Reviewed June 11, 2008

We just returned from this beautiful hotel. The location is perfect. If you do not have an ocean front room, plan on doing a lot of walking to the beach. If you do have an ocean front room, plan on doing a lot of walking to the front desk, spa, fitness center and concierge. The bulk of the hotel is not on the ocean side.

The Garden View rooms are across the street altho there is a lovely walkway that crosses over the street. We did have an ocean front with a balcony which I recommend.

Maid service was not Ritz calibre - have had better service at lesser hotels. The staff is from all over the world which is quite interesting - they try hard but miss on many accounts.

Beach attendants seem to be always busy and not readily available. The food is Ritz quality but costly as you would expect.

The concierges are great - altho not always accurate info as we later found out, i.e. we were told the Turtle Farm closed at 4:30pm on Friday and later found out they are open til 9pm on weekends and you get in free after 4pm. Small annoyances that you just don't expect from a Ritz Carlton.

I recommend this hotel with some hesitation.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank KML-CT
Reviewed June 6, 2008

The Ritz Hotel was more than I expected. It is perfectly situated on the beautiful seven mile beach. The hotel ammenities are great. The room was very nice, with lots of space and a very luxury bathroom.
On mondays the ritz do a carribean night on the beach, really recommend you attend this event, lovely barbecue meal and you get to watch a movie right by the sea. I also recommend the Periwinkle restaurant.
If you are on your honeymoon or you're on a romantic holiday for 2, I really recommend you get the hotel to organise dinner for two in a marquis on the beach with a private butler for a very special evening.
I can't wait to go back and visit the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JaneWestwood
Reviewed June 2, 2008

This by far is one of the most amazing places to visit. I have traveled to many places and stayed at premium resorts none can compare. From the moment you arrive the Ritz Carlton employees go above and beyond making everything perfect. The Resort is beautiful the food is excellent and the beach is the best.
No other words need to be said except if you can go to the Grand Caymans stay at the Ritz.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank cuinmaui2
Reviewed June 2, 2008

Absolutely Amazing, its just as you would expect it to be. We've stayed at the RC before and its always been flawless. We booked our trip through the American Express Platinum Card Fine Hotels Program. If you are able to get an amex platinum card, its invaluable for travel and the $400 per year fee pays for itself after one stay. We were upgraded, got free breakfast each day and also a $100 credit.

The hotel is spectacular, the best place on the entire island. Its visually stunning, has 900+ employees (we chatted with some of the staff) who are all focused on making you feel like the most important person in the hotel.

here are my highlights and insights we discovered.

-the breakfast buffet had anything you could possibly want and probably more.

-the rooms are large, spacious and have beds you never want to get out of. We had an ocean view room with a balcony.

-the spa and fitness center are great. They offer free classes during the week. Charles, the trainer is great. Take his classes and also the pilates/yoga. It was a great way to start the day.

-after your workout, enjoy the spa showers, jacuzzi and steam rooms. they have everything you need to get ready again (toothbrushes and toothpaste, La Prarie face products) and will give you robes, slippers and a bag to take your sweaty gym clothes back upstairs.

-the tip for doormen, housekeeping and everyone besides spa and meal servers is included in the cost of your room.

-self park if you want, its just a short walk to the parking area

-they have a great lounge type party each friday, pretty good dj too.

-periwinkle has these amazing truffle fries you must try

-you can get kayaks and snorkel gear free from the watersports guys. if you swim out a bit there are actually really cool reefs and fish to see. almost like going scuba diving

-7 en fuego is their steak and lobster buffet, which is amazing. Again, they have anything you could want. They were making bananas foster to order the night we were there.

-blue is an amazing dining experience, we had the tasting menu. A bit expensive, but so tasty. I liked the tasting menu as the brasserie better (you must go here if you are in Grand Cayman)

-restaurants, in order of preference 1)the brasserie 2) seven 3)blue 4) alfresco (lunch) 5) calypso grill

-if you dive, go with wall to wall diving, such good guys, and the nicest boats we saw, max 8 people.

-the hotel is great for kids with outdoor movies each night, and also adult couples.

-sure, its a bit pricey, but honestly, with all the goodies you get, it balances out. if you can, i would do it.

feel free to contact me with any questions.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank matthewloranger
Reviewed June 2, 2008

I continue to be under-impressed by the Ritz Carlton properties. My main issues with my stay in Grand Cayman:

1. The food is really expensive and not that great. Our best meal was at Blue - it was amazing! However, all of our other meals were just mediocre. I highly recommend walking to the nearby grocery store for lunch and snacks - they have a great salad bar with lots of fresh fruit.

2. They were painting throughout the entire hotel. We brought our four month old along and I was really worried about all of the paint fumes.

3. The pool side staff was hit or miss. Some days they were really attentive and other days it took forever to get assistance. I usually had to get up to get my own water.

4. I was really disappointed with the housekeeping. They never replenished the soaps or other toiletries. It seemed like they cleaned the room in five minutes.

Although, I probably won't go back, it is a family-friendly hotel. The pool was full of kids and there seemed to be lots of activities for children.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family