“Amazing, what can I say its the Ritz”

The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Awesome service, great beach, great rooms, great food, truly a five star hotel. Going back again in March, only place to stay in Grand Cayman. Went for my husband's birthday and everywhere you went they wished him a happy birthday, gave him free desserts. Friendly, relaxing, classy and look forward to our next visit in March.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,088)

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Just returned from 5 night stay at the Ritz Grand Cayman. This was our first visit to Grand Cayman and we can't wait to go back. The Ritz Carlton is a little dated and in need of some updating but the service provided by the staff makes up for any minor property blemishes. We checked in for our stay and the hotel was very busy due to President's day weekend, our room was very nice but had a terrible noise issue that we noticed that night. Kira from the front desk was very nice and helpful, she moved us the next day to another room (ocean front this time) and left us a treat in the room. The rooms are exactly the same no matter the location. They are roomy with many amenities. Yes, the Ritz is expensive but they trully go out of their way to make your stay wonderful. I cannot think of 1 employee at the resort who I did not find extremely friendly and polite. I m sure they will be working on updating the resort soon but even if it's excatly the same, I would still go back.
It's really all about the amazing service!!!!!
Let's not forget how beautiful 7 mile beach is and how nice the people are on the island.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 21, 2013

My husband and I are in our late 20's-early 30's, no kids, live in Chicago. When we checked in they told us about the resort fee and tourism tax, but they did not tell us about the "room service fee" which is 10% of your hotel room cost a night. Apparently this is tip that gets split amongst the staff, which is fine, but I wish we had known this at the beginning of the trip. There are a lot of kids at this resort and they run up and down the halls ALL DAY AND NIGHT. I always look forward to eating well on vacation, and Eric Rippert's restaurant Blue was great, but be prepared to spend >300 dollars for dinner. Otherwise the food was very average and each meal was easily 70-100 dollars no matter which restaurant you went to (no appetizer, 2 entrees, 2 drinks). Also disappointing was the very weak drinks at the bar that were about 18-20 US dollars each. Getting a chair on the beach is something I have never had such a problem with at any other resort. I went to the beach at 9am one day and was unable to get a chair because they were all taken. The next day arrived at 7:30 am and got the last 2 seats close to the ocean. The beach is completely covered by chairs, meaning no room for beach volleyball or anything else. The decor of the resort is very dated and the rooms are nothing special. We had a king sized bed in a garden facing room. The one redeeming quality is the extremely attentive and friendly staff. My husband and I travelled to Jamaica last year and stayed at the Iberostar couples only resort. We spent less money, had better rooms, and a better time.

3  Thank x x
Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I just returned from a quick getaway, and will not return to this Ritz property again. The hotel isn't even close to being worth the $1,000+ per night that it costs to be there. The rooms are average at best, although very clean. We had an ocean front room, and while the sound of the ocean was nice in the evening, it was impossible to nap during the day since kids were running up and down hallways and slamming doors. I was surprised how crowded the property was. Every day there were 5 rows of chairs on the beach. You definitely have to get out early to get a good chair. I was outside just before 7:30 one morning and got the last two chairs on the front row. Around lunch time, a staff person asked us to move forward on the beach, (in the middle of kids playing) so that he could squeeze another row of chairs in behind us. There were so many things like this that made me feel like they were trying to squeeze the most they could out of everyone. For me, the experience would have been more palatable if they were more upfront about costs. Put $30 USD on the menu for a burger if that's what it's going to cost, instead of trying to make people think it's $16, then they have to read the fine print and figure out that the price is in cayman $, but you're charged in USD, then there's a 15-20% service fee, etc... It just seems deceptive, and the whole trip felt like that. After waking up at 5:00 one morning because a baby was screaming -(and I was using ear plugs), I asked 3 different people at the reception desk if they had a white noise machine. I thought this was an incredibly reasonable request. Each person looked at me like I was crazy. I have children, ages 1 and 3, and I do not believe this would have been a good place to take them for a myriad of reasons. Apparently many other people thought it was a great place for kids. I will not be returning.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank 2morgans
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We traveled to the caymans on our "baby-moon" so we splurged on the ritz, during high season. We also attended a conference while we were there so our room rate was discounted to $740 per night. The website said to contact to hotel to arrange transportation from the airport (which was only 10 min away) but when we did, they said to get a shared taxi for $20. I would expect a hotel of this caliber, especially during high season to have a shuttle. We were greeted with rum punch and cookies which were a nice touch. Our room was nice. We had an ocean view which was worth the upgrade. Our balcony, where we could enjoy the sunset and view, was the best part of our trip! We did have to switch rooms mid-trip after a couple moved into the room next door. Our room had a connecting door to theirs and we could hear everything, and I mean EVERYTHING! We could tell what channel they had on TV. We could hear their entire conversations. It was horrible. The hotel was kind enough to turn their TV off for us one night when they left it on past midnight. The next day we switched rooms. MY MAIN ADVICE WOULD BE TO GET A ROOM WITHOUT A CONNECTING ROOM!!!! The premises were very well kept. However, for as large as the property was, there were no trails or paths to walk along to enjoy them. The cabana staff were great! As much as we love children, it is hard to relax when there are screaming children EVERYWHERE! It was impossible to avoid and made it difficult to relax. The restaurants were good. We particularly liked the breakfast at Seven and dinner at Periwinkle. The menu and prices at Bleu were not to our liking. We walked down the street and had a nice meal at Luca one night. We also enjoyed our meals at the Blue Cilantro and the Wharf. Although we never mad it, one of the most highly rated restaurants on tripadvisor, Sunshine grill, is right next door. We ordered room service one day and somehow the price of a single burger went from $16 to $30 after putting a few toppings on it such as bacon, cheese and BBQ sauce. I'll never make that mistake again. Overall we had a very nice trip until the time came to check out. In addition to the resort fee and taxes, there was a $75 per day "service fee." When I asked about this, I was informed this was for service and gratuity for the cleaning and concierge service. How does a hotel like the ritz charge extra for cleaning and concierge! I'm not sure how much most people tip on a daily basis for these services but this is way more than I would ever tip! The upsetting part is we were never aware of this and we were tipping all along! The staff seemed to expect it, and certainly never declined it, making me sure they never saw a dime of these "service fees." If they do, perhaps I'm in the wrong profession. Although we had a very nice trip, it was unfortunate it had to end on such a sour note. Next time we go, we will probably rent a condo. There seemed to be some beautiful ones adjacent to the ritz that seemed much quieter.

Room Tip: specifically ask for a room without a connecting room! Pay for the ocean view, the garden view is no...
5  Thank LucyTampa
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We have stayed here ( with and without the children) 4 times over the last three years. The last visit was in November, 2012. We love this hotel because, in addition to the quality you get with this Flag, you are in the" islands, mon". You don't have the waits for meal service you do throughout the rest of the Caribbean, which, until you "wind down", can make things much more enjoyable. The quality of the cusine and the scope of choices is comparable to a very good restaurant in a large, U S city. The room size and furnishings actually remind us of the Ritz on Central Park South, only instead of the Park view, it's the sea. Service throughout the resort is excellent, as you would expect, with this Flag....and, hey, you're on 7 mile beach.Just remember that the Cayman Islands, having been controlled by the British for so long, and given the topography, don't really feel like the caribbean....which is both good and bad. But you simply can't go wrong with the Ritz,7mb!

Room Tip: It's worth the price to stay ocean front.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Very friendly front desk. Fantastic rooms. Incredible room service. Fabulous pool and beach area. Great shrimp quesadillas and fish tacos at the pool. Eric Rippert's restaurant Blue was out of this world. 3 clay and one grass tennis court that were great including the pro I played with from Bulgaria. The spa was simply the best I have ever been to. This hotel exceeded my expectations and along with the great weather I had...this hotel made the trip very rewarding and memorable. Everyone I encountered at this hotel was polite and professional. Enjoyed the oceanfront room immensely. Definitely a 5 star hotel !!

• Stayed: January 2013
Sunshine Suites Resort
#7 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Compass Point Dive Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Reso...
#4 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman? Share your experiences!